test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

U know what grinds my gears

shinnok918shinnok918 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
You know what grinds my gears? politics in my game. yea I know they exist to some part, but the recent spat within the DPS league has gotten under my skin. What's really bad is the slimy move pulled off by the group of separatists. I've been working on pushing my build to 30k here lately to get a good upload of my record. guess what, currently if I do that, due to the hijacking of the CLR by the rogues I can't get a good upload.

the politics need to go. I'll be able to get my invite to dps30k the day I achieve this lofty goal of mine. thank goodness a backup plan exists. to say the least im annoyed. its tempting to dump every EC I have over 6 toons and even real money into the game just to build the uber DPS build and go pvping to kick some separatist....ill shut up now b4 I earn a ban for swearing........(no this isn't a stab at the chatmods it would be a well earned ban)
Post edited by shinnok918 on

Comments

• millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Inb4lock.

Looks like Ray is only accepting one thread on this topic, and is even probably watching that one closely.

The DPS League should just institute a seasonal approach, with the current leaderboards being retired with each new STO season.

Doing something about the "team runs" (ie nanny runs) would be great, but requires much more consideration and effort.

All of this seems moot until the League finds a new parser.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Meh, cram that many ego's of epeeness into a group and your asking for disaster, i laughed and laughed when i heard what happened with the elitist channels.. made my weekend even more pleasant :P....
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You know what grinds my gears?

Broken cogs.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The best way to avoid politics in STO... is to not start new threads, lamenting about said politics. :P

Inb4lock
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Speak for yourself, I honestly don't care about what the DPS fanatics do and I'm honestly not surprised about what happened.
  • ghostwoldghostwold Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    quintaris wrote: »

Broken cogs.

for me its a broken differential.
    My name is supposed to be GhostWolf but I mistyped and I'm stuck with this name...
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You know what grinds my gears? ... Grinds!

Yeah, now I'm just getting silly. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    What grinds my gears?

My students, of course. No matter how carefully I explain RPMs are what shifting is about, they rip the teeth clean off.

300 spread. Upshift drop. downshift add. Skipshifting. Bump and run. 10 is your friend.

All of this is a foreign language to them.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    If your grinding gears. You need to learn how to clutch properly. Unless your in a Semi with straight cut gears. Then you either double clutch or learn the RPM ranges. For that smooth shift. Automatic you might need a new transmission. :D
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,431 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You know what really grinds my gears?

Accidentally shifting from third to first instead of fourth.

You know what really burns my butt?

A flame about yay so high.

You know what really chaps my hide?

A dry summer wind.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Accidentally shifting from third to first instead of fourth.
    Is that a problem with 5-speed transmissions? I learned to drive stick on a 4-speed; you'd have to majorly TRIBBLE up to go from third to first.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Unless you have a Scotty in your Engines taking out chips. Leaving your ship clunking to a stop. Starts at 8:00 in link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k9Ukm9LaWg
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You know what really grinds my gears? People posting threads in general which have nothing to do with the general player ...
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    quintaris wrote: »

Broken cogs.

For me it's that they don't tell you that with the new powerboard race, if you finish but don't stop right at the flags you get disqualified.

Ya manage to stay with the pack till the end, but get no reward because ya went beyond the finish line...

WTF?
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    The best way to avoid politics in STO... is to not start new threads, lamenting about said politics. :P

Inb4lock

thats true but then theres no real way to actually deal with any issue then. As the only way to address any issue and attempt to fix it is unfortunately with politics. not like politicians but average everyday person to person politics. I guess it would be called social politics lol.

thats the sad truth behind any situation really, everything is political regardless of whether we like it or not.

idea vs idea, belief vs belief - regardless of what those are its all politics.

this is why i play mostly singleplayer games ^^
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    farmallm wrote: »
    If you're grinding gears. You need to learn how to clutch properly. Unless your in a Semi with straight cut gears. Then you either double clutch or learn the RPM ranges. For that smooth shift. Automatic you might need a new transmission. :D

Been teaching someone somewhere how to drive something since 1985.

I'm speaking of my "office". '06 Freightliner Columbia. 14.7l Detroit Diesel. Eaton-Fuller Road Ranger 10-speed. Synchronizer and clutch brake both sit behind the steering wheel. We usually refer to them by the term, ahem, 'Driver'. lol. And double clutch isn't the only way to shift. One can always float the gears if one is proficient at reading a tach and has good hand-eye coordination.

Worst parts about teaching someone to not grind the gears?
    1) Teaching them the engine sounds are not accurate enough because everyone's ear is tuned differently.
    2) Teaching them to not over rev the engine. Not neccessary to go to 1900 RPMs to shift a big truck from 1st to 2nd.
    3) Teaching them that putting the clutch pedal out past the headlights does not shift the truck better.

Tomorrow will be their first day on the road. Again. After an hour or so, I'll be doing a pretty good bobble head impression while I keep saying over and over and over, "Stop grinding my gears, please."
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Not sure I would call it "politics" Politicians at least pretend they are working for the public good. All these slimy people just want to make sure they have the DPS record for STO. A very single issue platform for a politico.....
  • tcgrandpa#3038 tcgrandpa Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    what grinds my gears?

sand in the tranny.
  • lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    you know what grinds my gears?

When you don't use the damn clutch like you should
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I think we would all agree that letting your gears be ground is a less efficient way to get where you're going. It would be better to not let them do it.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Inb4lock.

Looks like Ray is only accepting one thread on this topic, and is even probably watching that one closely.

The DPS League should just institute a seasonal approach, with the current leaderboards being retired with each new STO season.

Doing something about the "team runs" (ie nanny runs) would be great, but requires much more consideration and effort.

All of this seems moot until the League finds a new parser.

Btw name is Paul not Ray :p
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.