test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Opinions on the Andromeda please

berahtberaht Member Posts: 79 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Federation Discussion
I have enough to get the ship, I also have the other Galaxy consoles for the set, but before I get it, I wanted to collect some opinions before spending the zen for my tac captain, who already flies cruisers. I like the new fleet galaxy look, so going fleet version with it is what I have in mind.

How do owners like the ship? Is is a good ship for STF's? I don't do PvP so really the PvE experience and its viability in end-game content, as well as general fun factor (if that's a thing) are what I'm most concerned with.
6e5OTnq.png
Post edited by beraht on

Comments

• Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It really depends.

The Eclipse is way stronger in the TAC Cruiser role.

The T6 Guardian may not have as heavy an ENG capability as the T6 Galaxy but it has a LtCdr TAC & SCI station, making it a truly multi-role Cruiser.

The T6 Galaxy is a good TAC Cruiser. At Fleet level it however only has 3 TAC Consoles but otherwise is balanced in Console layout. Sure, you may not have that 4th TAC Console but you can stuff in another Embassy +Plasma SCI Console for the plasma explosions. The one thing that it lacks is handling. Compared to the Eclipse, Avenger, it's a slow ship. But otherwise, the T6 Galaxy performs well enough and is a very tough beast. Also, unlike all the Command FDCs, the Galaxy has all 4 Cruiser Commands, including the important "Weapon System Efficiency" Cruiser Command so your energy weapons consume a bit less weapons power (more damage for you).

The trait for the T6 Galaxy however sucks for use in the Galaxy. It requires use of RSP, which by itself has a very long CD and you need good Particle Generator Skill to make it matter. Also, it's very short ranged in its effect, 3km IIRC. That's a bit problematic to do in a sluggish ship like the Galaxy.

The Console is nice. It increases your Subsystem Power Levels cap by +5 for all. This is good if you have a build that brings lots of power to all your subsystems. This is even better if you're an ENG since you should be swimming in Overabundant Subsystem Power all the time.

In short, if you always did like the lower tiered Galaxy play, the T6 version improves on that and gives you a game-changing LtCdr TAC station instead of a pitiful Lt TAC.

Very tough ship. Dying in one should be a shameful experience.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    A pretty standard cruiser, good at what it does, absorbs abuse and hits hard enough to carry its weight. Doesn't have any of the fancy extras of the Eclipse, Guardian, or Presidio, but not particularly flawed or anything. Mostly used for people that want that Galaxy style while still having an acceptable layout. Won't knock your socks off, but won't annoy you either.
  • Options
    thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    beraht wrote: »
    I have enough to get the ship, I also have the other Galaxy consoles for the set, but before I get it, I wanted to collect some opinions before spending the zen for my tac captain, who already flies cruisers. I like the new fleet galaxy look, so going fleet version with it is what I have in mind.

How do owners like the ship? Is is a good ship for STF's? I don't do PvP so really the PvE experience and its viability in end-game content, as well as general fun factor (if that's a thing) are what I'm most concerned with.

Andromeda

Eclipse

Andromeda has a bit of a write up. Eclipse doesn't. Warmaker already provide a superb write up so no worries.

Take these vids as just a little added aid to help you say "Can I see myself in this ship?" Just an assist as it were.

The Eclipse and Phantom Mastery in combination make any cruiser and most other class ships measurably better. And they rock for any and all classes. So if you had money to burn, those are your go to ships.

But off the shelf, if you like the classic and only ever intend to get one ship, you may prefer the Andromeda. It can certainly handle the damage requirements of end game.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    thissler wrote: »
    Andromeda

Eclipse

Thanks for pointing me to those, those vids have never shown up in my youtube suggestions and they're more informative than the usual.
    6e5OTnq.png
  • Options
    thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Andromeda

Eclipse

Thanks for pointing me to those, those vids have never shown up in my youtube suggestions and they're more informative than the usual.

I try to be brief and helpful.
  • Options
    huntorhuntor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I have it and I like it. No, you won't break DPS records with it but I got mine to 43K DPS so far. Will push it more when I got the entire Iconian sets. Like Warmaker said: you may not have that 4th TAC Console but you can stuff in another Embassy Console for the plasma explosions.

The console is meh, the trait is ok if you use RSP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm not a fan of the Andromeda skin and purchased the ship to use as a Galaxy Class. I like the ship very much, she's not a DPS monster i've only hit between 23-28k myself which is better than i've done with the same toons in Excelsiors and Sovereigns, (must be that 3rd embassy console) but i find her more than capable of holding her own in all situations.

As an Andromeda without the Galaxy skin i wouldn't have purchased it and would have missed out on a good well rounded ship with a good mixture of having a iron jaw for tanking and a good right hook for hitting back.

The Tier 6 trait is meh unless you use RSP.

All in all def a ship to enjoy and one that is competitive and a ship that has satisfied my need for a end game Galaxy Class Starship.

Actually managed on a tact to push my tier 6 galaxy past the 32k dps mark in ISA using elite fleet phasers
  • Options
    marcustrekmarcustrek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The trait for the T6 Galaxy however sucks for use in the Galaxy. It requires use of RSP, which by itself has a very long CD and you need good Particle Generator Skill to make it matter. Also, it's very short ranged in its effect, 3km IIRC. That's a bit problematic to do in a sluggish ship like the Galaxy.

Are you sure RSP needs Particle Generators? The gamepedia says it uses shield emitters.

What sort of bridge officer ability setup do people use on the Andromeda? I just hit 50 and got mine, and I am pretty new to the game.

Trying to figure out the best way to set her up.

Hope the OP does not mind if I ask some questions in here!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Are the console and starship trait useful? They seem to both be VERY close range abilities.

I was thinking about getting the T6 for the console and trait, then the Fleet version, but just from looking at the short range of those abilities, I might just jump straight to fleet and stick with the two piece Galaxy set instead of going for the three piece set.

Of course, looking at the Guardian it seems to have more useful console/train lineup.

But damn that redone fleet Galaxy sure looks nice!
    6e5OTnq.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    marcustrek wrote: »
    Are you sure RSP needs Particle Generators? The gamepedia says it uses shield emitters.

What sort of bridge officer ability setup do people use on the Andromeda? I just hit 50 and got mine, and I am pretty new to the game.

Trying to figure out the best way to set her up.

Hope the OP does not mind if I ask some questions in here!

I wasn't talking about RSP itself needing Starship Particle Generator Skill. I was talking about the T6 Galaxy's trait that buffs RSP. The damage effect with this trait when using RSP requires Particle Gen Skill. The general rule in STO is this:

If there is damage being applied and it doesn't come from a weapon, Particle Generator Skill is used.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I own both the andromeda and eclipse, for tanking go andromeda, for everything else go eclipse
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Are the console and starship trait useful? They seem to both be VERY close range abilities.

I was thinking about getting the T6 for the console and trait, then the Fleet version, but just from looking at the short range of those abilities, I might just jump straight to fleet and stick with the two piece Galaxy set instead of going for the three piece set.

Of course, looking at the Guardian it seems to have more useful console/train lineup.

But damn that redone fleet Galaxy sure looks nice!

The C-Store version for the console is well worth it, as the extra power (passive) it offers can equate to effectively another Tac console if you can keep your weapon power up.The active is decent if you have slow/non-moving targets, or you fire off 'Suppression Barrage' Command BOff ability along with FAW as the stuff you want to kill is coming at you to slow them down while in your field.

The Starship Trait I find handy only rarely, even though I usually slot RSP in my builds. Usually by the time the RSP is finished all the small stuff near me is dead and the burst doesn't do enough damage --being buffed by only an Exotic Particle Field Exciter in my case-- to be a finishing move for larger stuff.
    • Options
      hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      The Andromeda is a decent ship, with a console that does allow for a little bit of overcapping if you have a PlasLeech or run a MACO shield or a 2-pc A.MACO set. It certainly makes a good support ship, as well as a minor debuffer, thanks to the Command abilities. I do admit it does make a great heavy HY plasma bomber ship though, what with full access to HY3 and CF3 for near-continuous HY plasmas.

However, if you're going for more flexibility with some offense, the Guardian or even a T5U Tactical Odyssey will do better, with the former having access to Ionic Turbulence, APB, and GravWell 1, and the latter having a more flexible LtC Universal seat (if you're not interested in the Command abilities of the Andromeda).

As well, the Guardian's Mastery Trait is a pretty reliable panic heal for competent captains, and its console pairs well with shield-tanking builds or abilities (RSP and FB alternately or together) on top of making it even meaner (while active, the console can boost energy and exotic damage for a short time). The new Sci skill from Blood of the Ancients also works pretty well with the offensive potential of the Guardian (IT1 + APB + GW1 + FaW + Destabilizing Resonance), which makes it a surprising burst damage bruiser of a cruiser.

If you want pure sustained offense in a cruiser, the Eclipse is currently the alpha and omega in the Fed cruiser department, and has an especially useful Mastery Trait. Rumors of a T6 Avenger might see its status threatened some, depending on what it will supposedly bring to the table.

If you want dedicated support and tankiness, the Command Cruisers are much more preferable, even though they're missing full Cruiser commands. The Tactical variant has the especially potent AHOD Mastery Trait. A key advantage Feds have with the Command cruisers is that they can build a self-sustaining CD reduction build w/o A2B, using a Tac character, the Temporal Negotiator, the Xindi Boff, the Delta Console, the Phantom's Reciprocity Mastery Trait, and the Command Cruiser's CD Reduction Inspiration command. All of which allow for faster skill turnaround on Tac and Sci abilities (and Command abilities; all of which re/charge the Inspiration gauge faster; thus it's effectively self-sustaining).

I own all of them, and have played around with them. Andromeda is nice (love the modern Delta look over its older variations and making it a plasma bomber), but it's overshadowed by all the other listed ships in plenty of ways, even if going back to the basics (in which the T5U Tac Odyssey can still do better).
    • Options
      seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      I love my Andromeda, but its on an engineer captain that's all about pulling aggro and tank like hell. For that, its my favorite ship and hardly ever dies.

For a tactical, she might end up a tad short on tactical BOFF powers. Matter of preference really.
      My tactical flies the tactical command battlecruiser and it works very well for him, even without the weapon power cruiser command. Putting in a spire warp core mitigates the weapon power drain a bit.
      latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
      "Let them eat static!"
    • Options
      nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Average tac and sci ability, below average maneuverability, weak trait and an okay special console. The ship is very mediocre. It is however much more competitive then the old Galaxy was and you don't need to feel like a paperweight in group events. The tactical command battle cruiser is a better option for a tac captain that wants to fly a cruiser.
      Tza0PEl.png
    • Options
      edited June 2015
      I own both the andromeda and eclipse, for tanking go andromeda, for everything else go eclipse

The Eclipse does just fine in taking the damage. It features the same Super ENG Heavy capability of the Galaxy with the BOFF & Console layouts. Yet the Eclipse retains superior offensive capability with far superior handling.
      XzRTofz.gif
    • Options
      ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      I have the Fleet-T5U Galaxy-X dreadnought and the Fleet T6 Andromeda. I've been using them on a engineer for the purpose of tanking. Tanking is a blend of doing good DPS and still having enough survival ability. Swapping builds between the two are nearly identical, though it came down to a tac console or a 3rd embassy threat +pla console. I also have reciprocity.
      The Fleet T-5U Dreadnought is superior in DPS, though it may not be able to take as much damage as the Andromeda. Seeing that higher DPS allows a greater threshold to hold aggro for, I find the Andromeda good, but not quite as good for tanking. I had really hoped that BFAW3 would make up for the reduction in tactical consoles, but it doesn't.

Even with the possibility of using the ensign universal for tactical, it may not be enough to create enough DPS for the Andromeda to match or surpass the Gal-X.
    • Options
      edited June 2015
      This ship isn't exactly getting glowing endorsements. I know it's not going to break any DPS records, but can it actually contribute to advanced queues?
      6e5OTnq.png
    • Options
      hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      This ship isn't exactly getting glowing endorsements. I know it's not going to break any DPS records, but can it actually contribute to advanced queues?
      CAN it actually contribute to Advanced Queues? Yes.

Last I read, the dedicated Galaxy-fans are pushing 20k-40k much more easily than they used to with the T5FU version (10k minimum is suggested for most current Adv queues), and are not being laughed at (or insulted) for bringing a large paperweight into the ring anymore.

But if you're asking about how easily it can contribute to Adv. queues, the answer is: Not as much as the other cruisers listed and for the reasons listed.

Buy it if you want it. The T6 and it's Fleet Variant can handle the current meta with no problem as long as it has a half-competent build. Just don't expect anything amazing with the extras (console, console set bonuses, and Mastery Trait) if that also matters to you.
    • Options
      ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
      edited June 2015

The andromeda certainly can contribute. It's a very good ship. It can take a lot of punishment. If you favor survival a bit more more than DPS, but still want to do good DPS, she's a fine ship. She can take a beating. My previous comment is that I'd take a Fleet T5U Galaxy Dreadnought over the Fleet T6 andromeda is on my preference to get a bit more DPS. The balance of DPS to survival ability between the two ships is that one leans a tad more to DPS and the other towards survival. It depends on your preference. I was informed by someone that BFAW3 would make up the difference of losing a tac console, but I have not realized it. I don't have kemocite 1, which might have been the missing link to bringing the Andromeda up to similar performance in DPS. If that is the case, the Andromeda would have the edge, but barely, because it can take a bit more of a beating.

In other words, a well setup T4 ship can contribute in advanced queues, so a T6 can most certainly do so.
    • Options
      edited June 2015

The T6 Galaxy is decent enough. I said before, there is a better TAC Cruiser (Eclipse; best Fed TAC Cruiser) and there is a better Multi-Role Cruiser (Guardian).

However, a good player will make any ship shine.
      XzRTofz.gif
    • Options
      vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
      edited June 2015

I try to be brief and helpful.

I love your youtube channel and vids. Very informative, I'm a subscriber. :D

Saw you in game the other day, Tried to pm you complimenting you on your channel...BUT you were ignoring me .....:P lol
      tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
      huntorhuntor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited June 2015
      Well, If STOryan can make 77k dps in a Nx class, he can make 130k dps in a T6 Galaxy EASILY :D

Don't worry, the T6 Galaxy can bring the pain in competent hands and competent build
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]