What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do 50-100k DPS wizards ever play pug?

2»

Comments

• millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    fovrel wrote: »
    You can ask, if those speeders are really social gamers or do the lack a certain aspect of what is called social intelligence. Funny, because they do need a group.
    I find most MMO content these days lacks the substance for any sort of prolonged interest.

If it feels like it's all about the reward, it's because it is all about the reward. Developers are free to design more interesting content, but I'm not holding my breath.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • takegurutakeguru Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm not a very high DPSer, highest I've seen myself is at 11k from someone who posted their parse into team chat.

I just wish getting these high DPS players was a bit more consistent.

Kind of funny, I was playing my Rommie earlier, ran out of Omega marks and I'm not at T5 yet.

So, I queue up into ISA(Not 60 yet, too much lazy) and lo and behold, it's one of the teams that needs a bit of help.
    The ones who aren't exactly sure about how ISA works, you know the ones.
    We fail, I get a bit salty, decide for my next attempt, I'm gonna CC in a sci ship just to keep us from losing.

Wait my 30 minutes after failing, get back in(Now in the event dyson destroyer, probably a bad choice on my end), load in, and the first cube is dead by the time I kick in full impulse

The Scimitar pilot carrying this match blows through everything, I get a grav well off and some beams going out, they post their parse.

Less than 1k.
    I feel embarrassed.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I find most MMO content these days lacks the substance for any sort of prolonged interest.

If it feels like it's all about the reward, it's because it is all about the reward. Developers are free to design more interesting content, but I'm not holding my breath.

That is also a fact. Much content is designed to be replayed because of the reward, be it gear or some kind of currency. The best kind of missions for this purpose are, what I call 'quick and dirty'missions, just simple shoot 'em up, yet the developpers want to make something special, an interesting story, cutscenes etc. the whistles and bells. However, no matter how well it is made, after having played it x-times, it is no longer interesting.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    takeguru wrote: »

The Scimitar pilot carrying this match blows through everything, I get a grav well off and some beams going out, they post their parse.

Less than 1k.
    I feel embarrassed.

Pugs are funny and challenging always. No matter if they bring 40k or 1k. One of my most fun encounters which keep repeating at least three times a week are some hobby DPSer most likely in a Scim doing their thing in ISA seeing to it that one of the nanites is FAWed early. In most cases their builds are used to NOT take aggro in a higher DPS groups they are building it for while in a pug they pop in embarrassment the second their DPS is needed most.

For as long as you have deployed your garv well at the right spot at the right time you can easily be the savoir of such a match even with 1k.

I rather take my close to 20k sci ship in an ISE pug than my close to 30k Scim. I only take peeps from DPS channel pools if I desperately need a lobby to fill for a map that won’t start so I have no idea or interest to expand my builds further DPS wise nor in boring runs.

Never feel embarrassed about low DPS. If the game interests you enough learn, practise and expand your build and strategies the way you see fit and get the most fun out of it.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    edited June 2015
    yet the developpers want to make something special, an interesting story, cutscenes etc. the whistles and bells.
    This is usually where they fall short.

I think the approach most developers take to designing digital words is completely off. Very little attention is paid to the experience of moving through the digital world. Too much attention is paid to bells and whistles such as cutscenes. The worlds themselves end up feeling very linear, and as a result, more static than they need to be.

The easiest example I can offer is Blackrock Depths from WoW. The biggest complaint regarding that dungeon was "OMG it takes three hours to clear that place!!1!" I can appreciate a three hour dungeon run, not a one hour dungeon run that takes three hours. But the 20-30 minute corridor runs are just awful.

Not that three hour dungeons would be appropriate here.
    Much content is designed to be replayed because of the reward, be it gear or some kind of currency. The best kind of missions for this purpose are, what I call 'quick and dirty'missions, just simple shoot 'em up...However, no matter how well it is made, after having played it x-times, it is no longer interesting.
    There certainly is a place for quick, arcade-lite gear run content.
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    I only do about 25 to 30 K DPS, butt I often do Infected Space NORMAL for fun to get easy quick marks, because then I can be sure that we can't fail. :)
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • snipey47asnipey47a Member Posts: 485 Media Corps
    edited June 2015
    PUG has pretty much all I've been doing due to the system latency issues
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I pug quite a bit, but not as much as before the lag. So if the lag gets fully fixed, i might start pugging more often.
    What he said ;)
  • zenn3kzenn3k Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I've never seen anyone with over 30k DPS. Do those magician ever get into the real world with their 8 Mk XIV magic AP beams and play some elite Hive Onslaught pugs for the sake of ****s and giggles?

I've seen them around once in awhile, the queues usually end in about 5 minutes.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    zenn3k wrote: »
    I've seen them around once in awhile, the queues usually end in about 5 minutes.

When I was trying to parse some experiments I found the danger zone was 20k-30k for Scimitars that would use DPS channel tactics (ie, not following the 10% rule and not even looking at the nanite spheres and perish the thought of actually doing something about them) and thus likely cause the queue to fail, so those ended even sooner.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm a 30k DPSer and I constantly PUG.
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    I met woodwitty once in bug hunt elite. We disagree on almost everything on the forums so.there has been a few exchange of unpleasantries nothing too major or frequent. He answered questions I had in that bug nicely enough. Interesting contrast.
    He is a two face me thinks.

I think it's also possible that he has opinions on the forum, and he doesn't like yours. But in-game, if you're in a team with someone, there's no reason to be rude.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • jrdragonettijrdragonetti Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Basically, yes they do, I was doing a few runs with a fleetmate who is about 80k yesterday, (I'm 30k) and no one offered up in the dps channels when we did an isa, so we took our chances pugging it. As he's fed/ROM and I'm kdf/rom we couldn't team, so we just queued hoping to run together.

Long story short, we didn't get the same instance but we still had good runs, even if we both took way too much aggro and died too much

My DPS personal record was from a pug run where I just happened to get in with a few 50kers.

I also do a lot of normals with my alts, either to get marks or test out rough builds, if I can hit 15-20k in a normal run with a test build I'll consider taking it into an advanced later without feeling self conscious
    edited June 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    Don't know why you had to repeat what I just said lmao.
    Why'd you call him two-faced?
  • kaspa000kaspa000 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The problem with pugging when you have high dps is you pull all the aggro. Maybe you will get lucky and get a pug with comparable dps to yours to split the aggro with. Kind of a pain when the cube, gate, and all the spheres are only looking at you. :)
    Who made the pool yellow? :confused:
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Why'd you call him two-faced?

Well, I am not really offended. It is true that I am way more aggressive on the forums than in the game or in RL. Though even that usually only applies when someone is arguing with something from pvp, which is rather unimportant in sto and - considering the posts in the pvp-forum - as died more often than Janeway. Or if someone gives out misinformation. Sciolism is more dangerous than no knowledge at all.

As long as someone is eager to learn, I have no problem in helping him.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    The better question would be, do they ever PvP?

I've known just a couple who can do both.
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    The better question would be, do they ever PvP?

I've known just a couple who can do both.

They did :) ...and got owned by every premade team out there :D

Dunno about today since I don't play anymore just like 99% of all PvP Vets...sooooo this could be their chance :D