test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lockbox Ships: Would You Pay To Unlock It On All Your Alts?

ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
From questions & suggestions from tonight's the SHOW and Lootcritter's blog:

AN INTERESTING CONVERSATION – LOCKBOX SHIPS: WOULD YOU PAY TO UNLOCK IT ON ALL YOUR ALTS?

Amidst the hubbub over the pearls and how you earn free ships during special events, an interesting discussion started to emerge around lockbox ships. Currently lockbox ships are ‘bind to character’ upon opening, unlike Zen store ships which become account wide assuming you meet the level and faction criteria.

For the purposes of this discussion, I’m talking about lockbox ships that fall into the 0.04% chance of getting during the launch of new lockboxes, or most recently the R&D packs. The Sheshars, Dominion Strike ships and the like.

For the vast majority of players, these ships are practically unattainable. While it’s not out of the realm of possibility that a single key could produce the magic golden ticket, the reality is that some players spend hundreds of dollars to attain them. They are status symbols, and with the addition of Ship Mastery traits a valued resource for more than just their pretty skins.

The discussion is this: Would you as a player, who already owns a valuable lockbox ship be willing to pay something extra to have that ship on another alt? For most of us, that answer is hell yes, but the real issue is how would they do it? Cryptic is a business, and like any business they need to extract value from this process. And if the current model is working why would they potentially dilute it?

How do we monetize this idea to catch the attention of the bean counters at Cryptic?
Whatever method it is, it has to increase interest in buying lockboxes. If I know that for a small fee I can ‘share’ the lockbox within my account, I will VERY likely spend more to try and get the lockbox ships. What I buy from the Zen store is irrelevant; keys to try my luck with the RNG Gods or items to sell to buy the ship off the exchange. The act of making the purchase is what counts.
It can’t reduce the value of the ships within the internal market. Part of the value of the original boxed ships are in their resell value. I’ve used my luck with ships to finance the upgrades for alts.
It has to preserve the limited nature of the ships. Cryptic does have some restrictions on it from CBS in terms of what it can and cannot sell. These ships were meant to be rare for a reason.

The boys over at The SHOW (the weekly conversation from Oden Knight with SarcasmDetecor, Timber Wolf, Snipey47 and SOB) poised this question in last weeks podcast and followed up with some great ideas which could make this work for Cryptic as a way to monetize it moving forward.

We already know that the coding required to rebox a ship isn’t in the realm of possibility at the moment, nor is making the lockbox ships an account-wide unlock for free. Neither would provide Cryptic with a way to make money, and while it would be an awesome quality of life move on behalf of the producers, it simply would do nothing to advance the games business model.

The SHOW offers this interesting idea: Allow players to ‘recover’ a boxed copy of the ship, bound to the account for a nominal fee in Zen. The mechanic might be a ‘Ship Recovery Token’ offered for sale in the Z-Store, or something similar. But how much?
The first number suggested was 1000 Zen. For 1/3 the price of a new ship, I can have a Wells or a Dominion Strike Ship on another alt. For the long-term dedicated player, that would be very cost prohibitive. In my case would I drop $110 to have that same ship available to all my alts? Uh, no. I do love the game, but I have to draw the line when I can’t store all the ships I want.
The second number suggested was the very reasonable amount of 250 Zen. This would definitely entice me to buy the ship for all of my alts, AND I might even let go of some that are using up space in my collection knowing I could recover them later on should I so desire.
I’d like to offer a third possibility – 2000 Zen for an account wide unlock for any one lockbox. Same mechanic as above, a token from the Zen Store. No limits on how many alts can use the ship. No need to worry about keeping ANY lockbox ship in your inventory. Make the ship recoverable if they pay the unlock fee.

All three of these ideas have merit. It accomplishes the goal of providing Cryptic with an additional revenue stream, it increases the chances that I will spend more to get them in the first place, and it maintains the rarity of the ships in game (The argument for long-term players is that we would not be introducing more alien ships, as we can only play one ship at a time.) Plus, it would be an incentive for me to play more.

What do you think?
Post edited by ddesjardins on

Comments

• jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    well i have the one i wanted from when i first started playing the galor

so idk if id go as far as unlocking for all my alts but if i had the money to do so i would gladly
  • loverofwarsloverofwars Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    of course alot of people would thats obvious as daylight during day time but would cryptic no why? more profitable without this idea 300+ keys at 125 zen v 2k unlock..and thats also pretty obvious
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd absolutely pay for the account unlock. That's one feature of SWTOR I love. If I get a good mount or costume on my main, I can unlock it for use on all my alts using my monthly stipend.

Why wouldn't I want all my alts to have the Sheshar? :D
    w8xekp.jpg
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I wouldn't mind paying 1000 Zen per alt to claim a Lockbox/Lobi ship I got on a main or other alt. And I wouldn't mind paying 2000 Zen per alt to claim a Promotional ship I got on another alt.

So if I wanted to outfit 5 alts with Elachi Sheshar Intel variants, I'd pay a total of 100 USD, 2000 Zen per alt. I've already spent a fortune getting at least 1 Sheshar, so I did the time.

If I wanted to outfit 3 alts with a Tholian Recluse, I'd pay a total of 30 USD; 1000 Zen per alt, since I also did the time getting a Tholian Recluse.

If nothing else, it would give Cryptic another means of countering that Lockbox ships aren't gambling.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If it were one price for a complete account unlock (not per-character), and if the price was reasonable, then maybe. Right now I don't use any lockbox stuff because my philosophy is every character or don't bother, and I doubt I'm the only one. Things started being account wide, I suspect a lot of people who simply ignore lockbox stuff might actually pay attention.
  • xablisxablis Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Why should I pay for an account unlock for a ship that has been broken for 7 months and counting (Tholian Orb Weaver)? Maybe if Cryptic actually stood behind their work I might consider this idea, but until there is a fix for "all" players who bought this ship I say what's the point of giving Cryptic more money?
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited May 2015
    xablis wrote: »
    Why should I pay for an account unlock for a ship that has been broken for 7 months and counting (Tholian Orb Weaver)? Maybe if Cryptic actually stood behind their work I might consider this idea, but until there is a fix for "all" players who bought this ship I say what's the point of giving Cryptic more money?

Valid point. Fixing issues that impact existing ships should be the first step.
  • hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The only lockbox I decided to gamble on was the one with the hazari. After 30 boxes I realised its a scam. So just finally bought it with EC. I suppose cryptic would do account unlocks for lockbox ships if they are made unavailable on exchange like zen store ships.

Or why not just increase the chances of getting the ships from the lockbox itself...? There are enough zen sinks in the game as it is.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited May 2015
    60-300m per toon to unlock on your alts has worked pretty well for a long time now.

Really? You've done that?

In my case I have ships I accidentally opened (the Wells) on the wrong toon. Or I'd like to try the Recluse on a Sci alt. My KDF Sci alt. Or the Palisade. 10+ alts

Rebuying on that scale isn't workable for everyone, even those of us who can pay hundreds monthly to feed our addiction. And some ships simply are not always available for rebuying.

I think the idea (or something like it) has merit. If Cryptic can make more money AND it solves QOL issues for long-term players, then why not?
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Depends on the price. But more importantly: I would start considering lock-box ships. Last time I opened half a fistful was from some kind of event keys; last I opened with Zenstore Keys was some time last year to fill up a few lobi. While when I open a lock-box I'm of course thrilled to see if I get lucky I never buy keys with the intention to get a specific lock-box ship. Its a "get some lobi & see if some other neat stuff comes out of it" attitude.

If all of the sudden LB ships became an account bound thing... I don't think it would change my basic attitude but I'm certain I'm more willing to get a few more keys next time I go to the lottery with that in mind.

Except if the account binding price is much more than free or a token gesture around the price of a single key; would continue to mostly ignore it if more expensive than that.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Makes sense but will never happen. I see ships that would be good for my Tac and then the sister ship (with the complementary console) on a ship that would be good for my Engineer. Currently I pass on those ships cause I sure as hell ain't buying 4 ships just so 2 toons get 1 ship w/ 2 consoles. Cryptic seems to like making the console sets on ships that you'd not want one toon to use all the ships.

To my mind, account unlock would push the purchase of said ships into the realm of the possible, instead of the 'never gonna do it' it is now. If enough players are in the same boat, that would mean more sales. On the other hand, those nuts that buy multiples of the same ship for many of their toons wouldn't need to spend that much. I guess it'd be up to Cryptic to determine which path was the way to more sales.

But with their track record, I'd bet on things staying the same. They have a hard enough time keeping the game running let alone revamp something that doesn't 'need' fixing. Hell, I still have to reset my ship's power tray EVERY DAY. They can't even fix that after so many years.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    honestly I'd just like, especially with ship traits on lockbox event ships etc for those alone to be account wide..
    It might make me more likely to buy more lockboox ships if i knew their starship traits would be a account unlock.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This change would hurt demand for lockbox ships.

Not so sure. How many people buy multiple copies of the same ship and would no longer need to, vs how many people don't buy lockbox ships at all but would start buying one or two? More likely it'd just move the demographic from the deep pocketed to a more general audience.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,605 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've started at least one thread here suggesting this, so I'm all for it.

Zen or Lobi is fine.

The account unlock version in particular would make me more likely to buy new lockbox ships since then the box becomes much more valuable to me.

The character transfer option has value to me too. One reason I hesitate to buy any lockbox ships is because I might give a ship to one character then later wish I'd picked a different one.

So for me, some version of this would mean more money to Cryptic from both the unlock or transfer option, and from me or someone else buying the piles of lockboxes needed to get new ships.
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yes, I would.
    Bridger.png
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No I would NOT pay to unlock my lockbox ships account wide. I've invested more than enough ressources to get them in the first place. Should they ever make those ships available on every char on your account I DEMAND that they do it for free. Everything else would be a slap in the face.
  • fersoltilfersoltil Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I would pay for that.

I think I would accept paying 250-500z for an accountwide unlock. Provided it would be recoverable and/or not take up garage space.

e: this should include lockbox and lobi ships alike.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    AN INTERESTING CONVERSATION – LOCKBOX SHIPS: WOULD YOU PAY TO UNLOCK IT ON ALL YOUR ALTS?

Depends on how much they're asking for it.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I wouldn't. Just to throw a different voice in the mix - STO players are desperately willing to throw money at Cryptic for basically anything - there are reasonable things to pay for (and at resonable prices) and then there's burning money because you are bored.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It would be awesome, but it would not get me to buy more lockbox keys, in all the lockboxes I have opened, and that's quite a few, I have not even once gotten a grand prize ship, all of my lockbox ships, Recluse, Orb Weaver, S'Golth, etc. have been EC bought, because I refused to go any further into being scammed by opening those boxes.

Standard tactic now for me, summer or winter event, farm the hell out of it, get a ton of winter or summer outfits, then sell them a few months later, it's always worked for me and thus I will continue this.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If I start playing again then sure, some lockbox ships I would account unlock, I have done it with a few things on swtor.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    As a few others mentioned SWTOR already does a similar thing and it's pretty sweet there 'cause those pirces are in a considerable low range, I might add.

So 250-500 zen to make a prior obtained box ship work like an c-store ship? HELL YEAH!:)
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    From questions & suggestions from tonight's the SHOW and Lootcritter's blog:

Amidst the hubbub over the pearls and how you earn free ships during special events, an interesting discussion started to emerge around lockbox ships. Currently lockbox ships are ‘bind to character’ upon opening, unlike Zen store ships which become account wide assuming you meet the level and faction criteria.

For the purposes of this discussion, I’m talking about lockbox ships that fall into the 0.04% chance of getting during the launch of new lockboxes, or most recently the R&D packs. The Sheshars, Dominion Strike ships and the like.

For the vast majority of players, these ships are practically unattainable. While it’s not out of the realm of possibility that a single key could produce the magic golden ticket, the reality is that some players spend hundreds of dollars to attain them. They are status symbols, and with the addition of Ship Mastery traits a valued resource for more than just their pretty skins.

The discussion is this: Would you as a player, who already owns a valuable lockbox ship be willing to pay something extra to have that ship on another alt? For most of us, that answer is hell yes, but the real issue is how would they do it? Cryptic is a business, and like any business they need to extract value from this process. And if the current model is working why would they potentially dilute it?

How do we monetize this idea to catch the attention of the bean counters at Cryptic?
    Whatever method it is, it has to increase interest in buying lockboxes. If I know that for a small fee I can ‘share’ the lockbox within my account, I will VERY likely spend more to try and get the lockbox ships. What I buy from the Zen store is irrelevant; keys to try my luck with the RNG Gods or items to sell to buy the ship off the exchange. The act of making the purchase is what counts.
    It can’t reduce the value of the ships within the internal market. Part of the value of the original boxed ships are in their resell value. I’ve used my luck with ships to finance the upgrades for alts.
    It has to preserve the limited nature of the ships. Cryptic does have some restrictions on it from CBS in terms of what it can and cannot sell. These ships were meant to be rare for a reason.

The boys over at The SHOW (the weekly conversation from Oden Knight with SarcasmDetecor, Timber Wolf, Snipey47 and SOB) poised this question in last weeks podcast and followed up with some great ideas which could make this work for Cryptic as a way to monetize it moving forward.

We already know that the coding required to rebox a ship isn’t in the realm of possibility at the moment, nor is making the lockbox ships an account-wide unlock for free. Neither would provide Cryptic with a way to make money, and while it would be an awesome quality of life move on behalf of the producers, it simply would do nothing to advance the games business model.

The SHOW offers this interesting idea: Allow players to ‘recover’ a boxed copy of the ship, bound to the account for a nominal fee in Zen. The mechanic might be a ‘Ship Recovery Token’ offered for sale in the Z-Store, or something similar. But how much?
    The first number suggested was 1000 Zen. For 1/3 the price of a new ship, I can have a Wells or a Dominion Strike Ship on another alt. For the long-term dedicated player, that would be very cost prohibitive. In my case would I drop $110 to have that same ship available to all my alts? Uh, no. I do love the game, but I have to draw the line when I can’t store all the ships I want.
    The second number suggested was the very reasonable amount of 250 Zen. This would definitely entice me to buy the ship for all of my alts, AND I might even let go of some that are using up space in my collection knowing I could recover them later on should I so desire.
    I’d like to offer a third possibility – 2000 Zen for an account wide unlock for any one lockbox. Same mechanic as above, a token from the Zen Store. No limits on how many alts can use the ship. No need to worry about keeping ANY lockbox ship in your inventory. Make the ship recoverable if they pay the unlock fee.

All three of these ideas have merit. It accomplishes the goal of providing Cryptic with an additional revenue stream, it increases the chances that I will spend more to get them in the first place, and it maintains the rarity of the ships in game (The argument for long-term players is that we would not be introducing more alien ships, as we can only play one ship at a time.) Plus, it would be an incentive for me to play more.

What do you think?

whole idea is pretty much dead before it even tried to take off. if these ships become account wide no matter what, you spend less money to get them and as a result cryptic gets less money to reach their next quota.

they want you spending 300 dollars per alt because they can make a lot more money from it. but if you make it account wide, you spend 300 dollars for the lockbox ship and from there you only need to spend a few hundred dollars to unlock on every other ship. so instead of getting thousands of dollars from whales you get a quarter of that dollar mark instead.

i would be willing to bet that pwe give cryptic a mark to make each month in money terms, cryptic has to make the mark or face possible staff cuts and other dooooommmm!!!!1!1!!!!! related stuff, they need money to survive and thats the simple fact in all this. what i think of your ideas is irrelivant this is simply what cryptic decided to do a long time ago and it has not changed since and i can see this going on for another few years at least.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I did it when i played TOR for sets/vehicles/crystals, i would do it here too.
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My alts have enough ships already, and I'm not interested in flying the same ship on multiple toons anyway.

But if it was cheap enough, I might still pay for such an unlock to allow me to dismiss and reclaim them.
  • apsciliaraapsciliara Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yes. Unabashedly, unequivocally, yes.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Everyone always said how great it would be to be able to re-box a Lock Box Ship...and it would. I've got about four or five that I never use and if I could transfer them to a character great, but I would also sell them.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    kayajay wrote: »
    Everyone always said how great it would be to be able to re-box a Lock Box Ship...and it would. I've got about four or five that I never use and if I could transfer them to a character great, but I would also sell them.

Being able to re-box them in a tradeable form, would be absolutely horrible. It would destroy the value of the ships, and with it the value of the boxes (or rather the keys).
  • gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    As many have said, TOR already lets players do this with their lockbox stuff. (And they tend to be much less stingy over rare/very rare prizing with a much larger in-game population.)

Also they did at least two account wide sales in the six month period I last played shortly after my frustration with D.R. drove me there the last time.

And they do weekly sales for their cash shop items... Man, despite the vitriol people aim at Bioware/EA, they actually seem to want to sell players stuff. (If you sub, honestly freemium-scum non-subs need not apply is kind of their attitude.)
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2015

If more X % more Lockbox ships are / would be present in the game (after such an Unlock would be implemented) , what would be free flying / fighting promotion for that Lockbox ship right there .

This is not a big concern , at least not as big as you'd believe it to be .
    Demand might go up slightly due to the Unlock , but the drop rate % of the ships won't change , so any fears that :
    a) suddenly the game will be overwhelmed with Lockbox ships , or
    b) suddenly the prices of Lockbox ships will plummet

... are unfounded .

The SHOW offers this interesting idea: Allow players to ‘recover’ a boxed copy of the ship, bound to the account for a nominal fee in Zen.

Actually the show started off from the idea of "claimable ships" akin to the mechanic coming in the next Summer Event -- aka , once you have it , you can claim a free version on any toon .

That then morphed to the idea of a single account bound ship that can be reclaimed if deleted .

My answer :

- 1000Z for a single account bound Lockbox ship . Yes , it's steep , but it would cost Lifers 2 months of Stipend , and as for F2P-ers ... , well they really should learn that F2P games are EXPENSIVE , especially this one .

- 800Z for a single account bound Lobi ship .

... 'cuz you forgot about Lobi ships , didn't you ... ? :)