test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Drop down tab to select crew uniform on ships?

astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
Hey Devs I've been wishing for something like this to be put in game. Could you guys please put in a option in the tab where you go to select the bridge on your ships, if you could choose the crew uniform there. It would be greatly appreaciated By Fed's Kdf and Rommies.
[SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
[/SIGPIC]
Post edited by astro2244 on

Comments

• gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think, while the change itself isn't too hard making a ui for it and making it work without the many horrid side effects possible might be pretty outside the realm of what they have resources to do.

The biggest issue is that this change links to other NPCs: your ship crew aren't the only ones that would change uniform. Almost everyone on every space station would too. Plus other player's ships when you visit their bridges.

I cannot discuss how I know this, without violating forum rules, suffice to say, I know this first hand.

Still, I'd love it. And since the files in question also specify species and sex... If they can make the ui at all, they can let us have all caitian, all nausican, etc crew. My guramba that will never be fleet quality would at least appreciate a nausican crew. Heh.

Though, coming at it from a totally different angle... If they made everyone's bridge a unique foundry map, and let us design the uniform for one NPC faction "my crew". That might be easier.
  • astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think, while the change itself isn't too hard making a ui for it and making it work without the many horrid side effects possible might be pretty outside the realm of what they have resources to do.

The biggest issue is that this change links to other NPCs: your ship crew aren't the only ones that would change uniform. Almost everyone on every space station would too. Plus other player's ships when you visit their bridges.

I cannot discuss how I know this, without violating forum rules, suffice to say, I know this first hand.

Still, I'd love it. And since the files in question also specify species and sex... If they can make the ui at all, they can let us have all caitian, all nausican, etc crew. My guramba that will never be fleet quality would at least appreciate a nausican crew. Heh.

Though, coming at it from a totally different angle... If they made everyone's bridge a unique foundry map, and let us design the uniform for one NPC faction "my crew". That might be easier.

Why wouldn't it be possible to do like they did for the tos bridge? that never caused game wide problems.

But I do like your idea of turning the bridge into a foundry map.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • comdrivercomdriver Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    All my hands and legs for this.
    Being able to customize crew uniform as faction for foundry style bridge is best way as I see it. Great idea.
    And would be great to use alien faction for crew and define male and female faces for them
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This has been a hot demand since the game launched. I think the current state of affairs is that the devs have talked about it, it would be cool but it is technically very difficult and by no means a priority of any kind.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    astro2244 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't it be possible to do like they did for the tos bridge? that never caused game wide problems.

But I do like your idea of turning the bridge into a foundry map.

If I had to guess, they probably made a custom settings file for the one ship that didn't work on anything else. The way it is set right now, and based on how they do other things, they'd have to make a new crew settings file for every ship at every tier and for each fleet version. Then debug all of those and maintain them as new uniforms come out.

That's clearly too much work. So, based on the boff skill revamp, they'd probably reinvent the wheel and make a new set of settings that could be maintained with a reasonable effort. But that means much more development work. Which is the problem.

By contrast, if they could set the "bridge and interior" as a foundry map, then they could make an NPC group which only appears on that one map. As they already maintain the foundry, it wouldn't add additional work to mantain this "NPC faction" which represents our crew.

That said, we might be able to fake the effect without any activity from the devs by creating foundry "missions" that are plotless but occur on our bridge with a door from our academy or some other convenient location. I wonder if we can link foundry doors to the bridge? I'll have to bug ash about this possibility maybe *evil grin*
  • piatminipiatmini Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    I'm guessing there hasn't been any update to this, but I'd really like to see this too. The foundry workaround is a great idea, I actually tried it myself, but one addition would be for, say the security team ability. I'd like to have my "red shirts" wear my "crew uniform" as well if possible.
  • khregkhreg Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I just want the Tailors to be taken out of the various Starbases and put right on the player's ship, or at the very least make changing senior officer outfits as easy as it is to change your own with a simple right-click.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Damn it Jim, I am a Fleet Admiral and should have my own personal Tailor
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • khregkhreg Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Damn it Jim, I am a Fleet Admiral and should have my own personal Tailor

I know. Sounds really prissy but stop to consider:

TOS had something called "Ship's Store" that could whip up a TRIBBLE uniform for McCoy on demand and Picard's Enterprise could outfit the entire away team with mid 21st-century threads for their little jaunt to Bozeman, Montana.

I'll give in on having Starbase Tailors do things like create whole new wardrobes, but simple changes into saved templates for the bridge crew should be able to be done on-ship.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    khreg wrote: »
    TOS had something called "Ship's Store" that could whip up a TRIBBLE uniform for McCoy on demand and Picard's Enterprise could outfit the entire away team with mid 21st-century threads for their little jaunt to Bozeman, Montana.

I'll give in on having Starbase Tailors do things like create whole new wardrobes, but simple changes into saved templates for the bridge crew should be able to be done on-ship.

Heck, if you look at TNG era? Between the Replicators and the Holodeck (to stand around a dummy and discuss/design new clothing), you should be able to do any costuming you want on board ship.