test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Power Management Questions

berahtberaht Member Posts: 79 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Academy
I've recently returned to STO and I'm trying to figure out the issue of power management. I have a fed VA in cruisers and a Rommie in a Faeht.

Usually, I've always just run full power to weapons and put skill points in the skills which boost power to systems which are running on low power, but I'm reading about how OSS is super powerful and I'm looking at builds which have multiple EPtW Boff skills. So maybe I'm not doing it right by going all-in on weapon power constantly.

What is the advantage of running at balanced subsystem power and popping off abilities to boost weapon power over just having it all in weapons?
6e5OTnq.png
Post edited by beraht on

Comments

• Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    beraht wrote: »
    I've recently returned to STO and I'm trying to figure out the issue of power management. I have a fed VA in cruisers and a Rommie in a Faeht.

Usually, I've always just run full power to weapons and put skill points in the skills which boost power to systems which are running on low power, but I'm reading about how OSS is super powerful and I'm looking at builds which have multiple EPtW Boff skills. So maybe I'm not doing it right by going all-in on weapon power constantly.

What is the advantage of running at balanced subsystem power and popping off abilities to boost weapon power over just having it all in weapons?

more power at all times in weapons mean higher damage, and higher dps.

I use a warp core to copy excess weapon power for aux. and I run a plasmoleech build. 87 to all subsystems :D
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    There is no advantage to balanced power. OSs and the emergency power abilities and the plasmonic leech etc are for builds that aim for extremely high performance and at their core, most have maxed weapons and use the boosts to pump the others.

The one semi common build that does it different is for science ships where often they have a split between weapons and aux with shields and engines minimized. But no one uses balanced power unless they don't really understand how power works, or for rp purposes.

The weapon power is the key one that benifits from "over stacking" because of power drain. There is a mathy post on reedit with a great explanation how it works for cannons, and if you like I'll get the link for you, but the short is for a beam fire at will build, you need effective weapon power of ~180 to stay at max power, for max damage. Even though you can't really benefit directly from over 125, you need the extra to replace what's lost from power drain while 8 beams are firing. And getting that high is not easy. Cannons only need to hit ~135 I think for max damage.

Override sub system safeties let's you benefit from power over 125, which is amazing. In weapons it is a 50% damage boost, for shields it is a huge regeneration and hardness buff, for engines it is a turn and max speed buff, for auxiliary it is a buff to heals and gravity well etc. It hits all of these at the same time. It is an amazing power. Until your shields get turned off for 2 seconds after the buff wears off, haha. Phenomenal cosmic powerrrrrrr.... Oops, now you're dead. Totally worth it. Great power.
  • Options
    jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Before I write everything again, here is a Link explaining some fundamentals:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/24pn8o/highly_logical_dragon_and_drake_and_aux2batt/

For your Faeht the drake is the to go. For cruisers its viable too, but aux2bat might be interesting there too.

Another link to play a bit with powerlevels without spending a fortune:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fvDJAb0ssxg7U-F3P99aV3cDBMUdq0OJ787ixf3nzFg/edit?usp=sharing

Get a copy of that before you can edit the fields. Sadly its not completely up to date, some newer items are missing, but the implemented formulas are still correct.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Top end power management, with dps being a goal, generally revolves around trying to get amp bonus from a warp core and the side effect of that is good power in all systems for the associated bonuses (speed from engines, shield regen, better officer heals/etc with aux, and damage from weapons). On top of that, you can get a little damage from aux to damage as a reputation trait, and that can be useful in some builds.

Also, if you did not know, you can customize your power levels manually.

So what I do is go into a "combat" zone. In there, tweak your power levels so you have 75 power in all 4 systems and all excess dumped into weapons. That is a good starting point for an amped damage build. OSS is powerful but you want your build to be amped and doing good damage with you are not using it, and this ensures that you are always getting your bonuses. You can tweak your power levels after this initial setup if you need to; for one thing leech will have an effect if you use one, so you should have a cushion above 75 in all systems after combat starts due to leech...
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I typically run 90/50/30/30 for warp cores and 80/40/20/20 for singularity cores. Of course I have Fleet [AMP] cores in all of my ships and they are all equipped with Bio-Nerual Gel Pack, Zero Point Energy Conduit and Plasmonic Leech.

All of those consoles provide me +2 per subsystem per activation,... so power levels aren't normally an issue for me. Some of those also provide Crit Hit chance.

Generally speaking, once I start shooting, my weapons goes to 125+ and I have solid 75+ power in 3 subsystems with the 4th fluctuating above and below depending on teh intensity of the "fighting".
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    For DPS it is simple.

W-125 and over stack it as much as you can
    S-75 in combat
    E-75 in combat
    A-125 for the bonus damage from rep trait
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User