test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Build me an Eng BoP!

wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
edited May 2015 in Klingon Discussion
What's a good Bird-of-Prey build for an Engineer? I like flying the Birds, they're so different from my usual Starfleet ships, but I don't understand much about what makes a good build (for any ship) and I haven't the time or energy to spare to master it. So I thought I'd post it here and let someone who enjoys this stuff play around with it. If you can help me out, that would be great!

The character's currently level 36, and unlikely to reach 50 for a good while as I don't have time to play him that often.

I don't buy lockbox keys or C-Store items, though if an item isn't too ruinously expensive I could consider getting it from the Exchange. Currently the character hasn't any reputation points to speak of.

Character's got a bit of a salvage/demolitions theme going on, so anything that sort of goes with that is a bonus. Currently, that means grabbing things in a tractor beam and throwing explosives at them. :mad: :cool:

Here's the set-up I've got at the moment:
http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=steelbone_0
Post edited by wombat140 on

Comments

• orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    I agree with patrickngo, though, I'd add that the Reman shield from 'Colossium', and the Breen shield from one of the Breen episodes (sorry can't remember which at the moment) make for good alternatives to the Jem'Hadar depending on your preferences/situations.

I would like to note that a BoP isn't the easiest ship to 'tank' with, if you like laughing off attacks a larger ship might be easier to work with.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Dinging Lv40 shouldn't take long, even with minimal playtime.

When you do get there, use your Free Ship Token to get the ever-reliable Hegh'ta BOP. No, it doesn't "level up" since it can't be upgraded. But it gets the job done still as a BOP. And it can be attained for free.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks very much, all!

Yep, as you've guessed, I have got a deflector :D it's just that it's a standard-issue one, and for some reason, I can't find those on STOAcademy's list.

The mines were only there because since a BoP's battle strategy involves a lot of running away and coming back later, I thought it might be good to do damage while running away. But if it adds up better to have a turret there, that's handy information. As is the rest. I'll start collecting bits and bobs!

Is Hargh'peng actually a good torpedo, or would other types be better?
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    wombat140 wrote: »
    Thanks very much, all!

Yep, as you've guessed, I have got a deflector :D it's just that it's a standard-issue one, and for some reason, I can't find those on STOAcademy's list.

The mines were only there because since a BoP's battle strategy involves a lot of running away and coming back later, I thought it might be good to do damage while running away. But if it adds up better to have a turret there, that's handy information. As is the rest. I'll start collecting bits and bobs!

Is Hargh'peng actually a good torpedo, or would other types be better?

The Hargh'peng is a good torpedo, it has an impressive travel speed (takes little time to reach your target), and applies a Radiation DoT (Damage over Time) effect that explodes upon expiration. Some even like it so much to upgrade it to MK XIV later and use it in end-game missions.

The only hiccup is it does not work with torpedo powers like Full Spread or High Yield. (which can be a benefit if you have a torpedo you'd like to use exclusively with those powers)

There are torpedoes that *can* be better, the Neutronic or Gravimetric come to mind, but those are Reputation weapons and you'd likely not be getting those for some time, Stick with your Hargh'Peng it's a good weapon. :)

Edit: The Hargh'Peng does have a rather lenghty cooldown, so if you prefer a torpedo with a faster fire rate, a Photon or Plasma torpedo would reload faster, but the Hargh'Peng does deal more damage per torpedo than either of those (generally).
  • neuro1gneuro1g Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    All previous advice you should listen too.

That said here's my build for you:

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=steelboneredeux_0

I don't know how many skill points you have but you listed that your up to captain so I just put them in until captain. I also included three basic traits. Boffs and doffs in the notes.

All in all this build shouldn't be too expensive, should have a fair amount of tankiness, and should hit fairly hard.