test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tales of the War #5

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Galactic News Network [PC]
The Iconian War has been an ongoing conflict, as we defend our quadrants from the looming forces of Heralds and Iconians.

We must never forget though, that war will always hit home.

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    That was a Good one... Good Job.
  • jocelyn2jocelyn2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Interesting
    [SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]
    I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job...

...because he will find an easy way to do it.

-Bill Gates
  • lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ah the feels... So when will we get to work with the Enterprise again? We've done much alongside Jarok but what about Koren and Shon?
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dabelgrave wrote: »
    O'Brien is once again stationed on the Enterprise?

Old news. Remember the FE with the gateway activation?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dabelgrave wrote: »
    O'Brien is once again stationed on the Enterprise?
    Yoshi O'Brien is the Chief Engineer.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    Old news. Remember the FE with the gateway activation?

Hardly... It's been awhile since I ran that mission, so I guess I'll have to run it again. I think I'm just a bit surprised since he'd be 82 now, and probably not as fit for crawling through Jeffries' tubes.
    Yoshi O'Brien is the Chief Engineer.
    That's why... I was thinking about the wrong O'Brien!
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    excellent write
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You must win the war so get out there and grind grind grind and save STO from its impending demise lol :D
  • richardkisrichardkis Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I really like these stories, they help the immersion in the game.
  • zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    R.I.P. Shon.
  • canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    zathri83 wrote: »
    R.I.P. Shon.

Shon isn't dead yet, and judging from this bit he's not going to be resting until he is :(
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Great story. I only wish the gameplay itself had that kind of depth of feeling. There's so much grind and pewpewpew that one never even remotely stops to consider the story of the crewmen that must die on my ship regularly (not to mention the uncountable host of enemy fodder I've slain).

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    richardkis wrote: »
    I really like these stories, they help the immersion in the game.

"Help" is pretty big understatement, this so called "war" is pretty hard to notice since there isn't really anything happening in-game.

But aside from that, great story.:D
    ....not to mention the uncountable host of enemy fodder I've slain.

Ever thought of how big the crew of those voth citadel ships is? Pretty sure we committed genocide by now.....:P
  • bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Like Ian Malcom asking the obvious.....

There are suppose to be battles going on in this war right?

Stories are good but 1k posters to tell us to step up in this war and 5 blog stories...meh

Dinos got a battle ground
    Defari got a battle ground
    Kobali got a battle ground....

No massive declaration of war for those 3..
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Good Story!

Small typo: "How many more were there go to?"

"to go?"
  • captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I just have to throw out there that while these Tales of the War are cool and well written... they just don't seem to fit in with what I'm experiencing in the game.

They paint this picture of a grim, hard fought war we're not on the winning side of... they're well written and add some great flavor to the latest season release...

However in the game... what war? I'm really not a fan of queued missions... and while the story missions are good they're not something that are dominating my time in game. When I'm playing STO, it's still very much Delta Rising... exploring the delta quadrant, running missions on the Kobali planet... etc. I haven't seen an Iconian in a long time...

Without the Iconian War permeating every aspect of the game it really doesn't feel like we're losing a war with the Iconians. While I understand it's extremely unlikely any type of significant changes will be made to enhance the flavor of what is in game as it stands now, here are a few ideas that would make me feel more like I'm losing a war with the Iconians...

1) More NPC chatter regarding this war... damaged NPC ships around social zones and the "sick bays" at those zones full of wounded

2) Borg and Tholian sector "invasions" really need to be Iconian invasions... or add Iconian ships to them to give the impression the Iconians are here to wipe everyone out. Same goes for deep space encounters. How can we be losing a war yet I can travel the entire explored area of space and not find a single Iconian?

3) Random Iconian spawns in the adventure zones... these guys in theory should be able to show up anywhere at any time... why not show up on Defera or the Dyson BZ for example?

4) This might be very controversial but I think it could work... what about randomly spawning Iconians outside the major social hubs in space and on the ground. Most social zones are populated enough that a few groups wouldn't be too much of an interference with players who simply want to work the exchange or do their banking/mailing. Again, probably a controversial topic but would really make it feel like we're at war and the enemy could strike anytime, anywhere. Similar to how the random encounters work on Nimbus only make them something you have to intentionally ignore rather than happening outside anyone's field of view.

5) Try to make it look like we're at war... battle damage on the social zones, debris in sector space... frazzled looking NPC contacts with some updated dialog to reflect the toll the war is taking on everyone.

6) Update everything in game related to Iconians to the Delta Recruit server wide mission tracker.. I'm guessing once the Delta Recruit event is over that is on the horizon but at the very least it would encourage players to at least participate in the Iconian War.

I understand everything through the end of the Iconian War has already been planned out and these type of additions are not practical to turn around before we win the war... however if the intent is to really add some rich flavor to the current state of the game these types of little touches would go a long way to bringing everything together and syncing up nicely with the Tales of War blogs...
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Like every Starfleet cadet, Shon had had his turn in the holodeck for the Kobayashi Maru test

who writes this stuff? A fourteen year old boy?

"Shon had had his turn"?!?

how about:

Like every Starfleet cadet, Shon taken the holodeck for the Kobayashi Maru test.

or if you want some more flair..

Shon, like every Starfleet cadet, endured the holographic crucible of the Kobayashi Maru test.

I like that they post these little written stories. But you guy really need to get a better writer for them.
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jengoz wrote: »

Like every Starfleet cadet, Shon taken the holodeck for the Kobayashi Maru test.

Maybe: "Like every Starfleet cadet, Shon had taken the holodeck for the Kobayashi Maru test."

Don't post angry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnE1OF_cezI
  • captinjacksparowcaptinjacksparow Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I just have to throw out there that while these Tales of the War are cool and well written... they just don't seem to fit in with what I'm experiencing in the game.

They paint this picture of a grim, hard fought war we're not on the winning side of... they're well written and add some great flavor to the latest season release...

However in the game... what war? I'm really not a fan of queued missions... and while the story missions are good they're not something that are dominating my time in game. When I'm playing STO, it's still very much Delta Rising... exploring the delta quadrant, running missions on the Kobali planet... etc. I haven't seen an Iconian in a long time...

Without the Iconian War permeating every aspect of the game it really doesn't feel like we're losing a war with the Iconians. While I understand it's extremely unlikely any type of significant changes will be made to enhance the flavor of what is in game as it stands now, here are a few ideas that would make me feel more like I'm losing a war with the Iconians...

1) More NPC chatter regarding this war... damaged NPC ships around social zones and the "sick bays" at those zones full of wounded

2) Borg and Tholian sector "invasions" really need to be Iconian invasions... or add Iconian ships to them to give the impression the Iconians are here to wipe everyone out. Same goes for deep space encounters. How can we be losing a war yet I can travel the entire explored area of space and not find a single Iconian?

3) Random Iconian spawns in the adventure zones... these guys in theory should be able to show up anywhere at any time... why not show up on Defera or the Dyson BZ for example?

4) This might be very controversial but I think it could work... what about randomly spawning Iconians outside the major social hubs in space and on the ground. Most social zones are populated enough that a few groups wouldn't be too much of an interference with players who simply want to work the exchange or do their banking/mailing. Again, probably a controversial topic but would really make it feel like we're at war and the enemy could strike anytime, anywhere. Similar to how the random encounters work on Nimbus only make them something you have to intentionally ignore rather than happening outside anyone's field of view.

5) Try to make it look like we're at war... battle damage on the social zones, debris in sector space... frazzled looking NPC contacts with some updated dialog to reflect the toll the war is taking on everyone.

6) Update everything in game related to Iconians to the Delta Recruit server wide mission tracker.. I'm guessing once the Delta Recruit event is over that is on the horizon but at the very least it would encourage players to at least participate in the Iconian War.

I understand everything through the end of the Iconian War has already been planned out and these type of additions are not practical to turn around before we win the war... however if the intent is to really add some rich flavor to the current state of the game these types of little touches would go a long way to bringing everything together and syncing up nicely with the Tales of War blogs...
    I fully support this post. We need at least some of this to happen in game.
  • jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Maybe: "Like every Starfleet cadet, Shon had taken the holodeck for the Kobayashi Maru test."

LOL. yep even I messed it up.

"Like every Starfleet cadet, Shon had taken the Kobayashi Maru test." would do just fine.
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • ammianusammianus Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited May 2015

For battle damaged social zones, debris in sector space, and all war-changes on the map we need phasing being implemented in the game mechanics. I was writing already about it in detail on those forums, so I will sum it up.

We need to get the feel that Iconians are threat which cannot be stopped in SP missionsor queued events. It should not be stooped even in battlezones (although we desperately need one). We should see some important NPC dying (Quinn, Shon, Jarok?) We should see ships destroyed (ENT-F? Good way to bring ENT-G in picture, perhaps as SOV refit ;) ) Also some iconic ST places trashed (DS9 anyone?)

But for most of this we need phasing, so that a new player does see galaxy prior to Iconian war, and the old one sees its aftermath. That is not a new thing, done in many MMOs (most notably World of..) And it is not that there is no phasing mechanics in the game. DS9 missions do have it, when you have option to go to social zone, or to DS9 mission. Defera is also a good contender for rudiments of phasing involved in gaming.

So, Trendy, can you clarify us Cryptic position on the matter?
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Sure its a nice write up. I stopped reading after the 2nd one. Due to what war ?? Where is it at ?? I see no war at all.

Granted I hadn't got up to Lv60 and done the latest FEs. Going by the latest news blogs. This is why I say this war story is horrible.

1: I see no FEs to really hit home with this. The main ones just set it up. Since then only 1 that really takes it into the war.

2: No dialogs in the main social hubs telling about it. Or any other evidence of combat around them.

3: I play solo. So I want to fight them on the ground as well or space. For the Iconian Marks I have to keep fighting Vaadwuar on Kobali instead. Does this make sense? Cause there isn't another way for me to get them. And to be part of this Fake Iconian War. So I must help the Kobali instead of actually being on the war front. Or is there a war at all?

4: No enemy Red Alerts or events. We need them showing up and we have to deal with them. Like the random Borg and others.

I played games where they actually had a war. And you knew it was going on. This one, I say there isn't a war at all. Just a couple missions. I saw more war going against the Vaadwuar. To me they brought out the war and was threatening. This Fake Iconian War isn't much a threat or issue at all. Cause I'm still too busy working over the Vaadwuar.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • pennylongpennylong Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think the main problem with this arc is that it is supposed to be like this huge climatic war but tbh you can happily fly around and nothing has really changed.

I get that they can't change locations due to players being at different points in the episode arcs but this war is kinda meh.
  • onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jengoz wrote: »

"Shon had had his turn"?!?

how about:

or if you want some more flair..

Shon, like every Starfleet cadet, endured the holographic crucible of the Kobayashi Maru test.

I like that they post these little written stories. But you guy really need to get a better writer for them.

you do realize the way "had had" was used in the sentence was grammatically correct?

it's had + the past participle of have after all

it may not sound right to the ear, but it is the correct usage according to english grammar

now that the lesson is over :P

i do like these tales of the war blogs, they do flesh out the lore quite a bit; though as captaintrueheart said a bit ago, and which i agree with their post wholeheartedly, there does need to be some changes to make it actually look like we're at war, and one we're supposed to be losing
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
    signature-omega.png
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Shon Shon Shon... You're doing it all wrong...

After each mission, you're supposed to sit around sector space for 2-5 minutes, and eventually all those little people on your crew meter will be a 100% healthy white, instead of those pale shades of hurt/dead gray.

That alone should save you hours of "depressing dead crewman letters".

Now go take a nap. Fleet Admiral's Orders.
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Shon is apparently having a more dramatic war than the players from the comments in thread.

That said, I liked this. Now what's Koren been up to? I haven't seen her on ESD during Blood of the Ancients.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Well said. Quoted for truth and to vote +1.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Well put, Ariel. :)

Like others have said, "What war?" Don't even show up for their own battle. Look at Drozana, the Devidians seem to do a better job at that. And of course, there are the Borg. Granted these game mechanics have been in the game for some time. I do agree that we need to see and experience this war. The only thing Shon seems to be experiencing is a poor way to power grind to level 60.

I guess the only way to get these war stories added to the game is for the players to create their own through the Foundry, but how many people actually play Foundry missions any more?

If anything, I hope Taco can at least add some ambiance of the Iconian War in the various social zones.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I keep liking these 'tales'.

When it comes to conveying the war in game, I guess they couldn't come up with a way of showing we are losing. That's because losing generally means respawns leading to an annoyed player.

Though I guess they could have refitted No Win Scenario for use with Heralds (truly no-win this time). And even used it as a new lvl 60 DSE/Red Alert. It'd convey the losing part pretty well.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!