test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Some how, I think Scotland yard misses the whole point about us ST fans.

f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
edited May 2015 in Ten Forward
Not gonna post the article, but I would have sworn it was done by the Onion, rather than the Telegraph.

The fine points, Scotland Yard kept a secret file, because they worried ST and X-files fans would turn into a mass suicide UFO cult.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11611086/Secret-files-reveal-police-feared-that-Trekkies-could-turn-on-society.html

<snip> For years Star Trek fans – known as Trekkies – have been the butt of jokes about their penchant for wearing pointy ears and attending science fiction conventions.

But the police feared British fans of the cult American show might boldly go a little too far one day.

It has emerged that Scotland Yard kept a secret dossier on Star Trek, The X-Files, and other US sci fi shows amid fears that British fans would go mad and kill themselves, turn against society or start a weird cult. <snip>

after all these decades, people still don't understand us fans, sure we argue amongst our selves, but we also remember the IDIC, or the Ideals of bettering ourselves as individuals.

Stephen
My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    /speachless
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Wasn't there a Futurerama episode that talked about that?
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Honestly, it takes a lot for the Met to surprise me these days...
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Obviously the Coppers are Whovians. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    smugsuksmugsuk Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Scotland Yard/The Met misses the point on a lot of things.
  • Options
    rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ...*points at the thread directly below this one*
    76561198032353876.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Isn't Doctor Who just as likely to cause fans to go mad and kill themselves, turn against society or start a weird cult? The same could be said about Coronation Street and Downtown Abbey.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    The whole thing is just mind boggling.

Some how we went from watching trek and becoming NASA engineers, to being on a watch list. I will say this, to the best of my own knowledge, none of the ST fans I know, heck, sci fi fans I know, are in any way shape or form a threat. I think the concept of unity is huge amongst the fans, and sure, we may argue about which ship is better, or what series is better, we always stand as sci fi fans.

Then again, ST made me an optimist towards most things fan and group related, which is odd , in a way, as I am a strict constructionist in almost all other areas.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The Church of Jedi was created due to Star Wars and there are certain people that became depressed because they couldn't live on Pandora. However, if it wasn't Star Wars or Avatar, then they would have joined or started some cult or become depressed by something else. The only way to stop this is to remove all fiction, philosophy, and other works of art that inspire people beyond their mundane lives in the world. Of course, that would make this place an extremely dull place to live and not many people would want to live in such a boring world.
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    f9thretxc wrote: »
    Some how we went from watching trek and becoming NASA engineers, to being on a watch list.

I think it was about the time some fans started ranting about the vision of Roddenberry and giving the impression they treat Star Trek like a religion. So it started somewhere around the 80s probably.
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Meh, I've seen dumber things. I don't want to start a political bebate but an example is how Texas thinks the Federal troops will put everyone in concentration camps. Will wonders never cease:rolleyes:.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Isn't Doctor Who just as likely to cause fans to go mad and kill themselves, turn against society or start a weird cult? The same could be said about Coronation Street and Downtown Abbey.

If Whovians had committed mass suicide every time a new Doctor was announced, Tumblr....would still remain exactly the same.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I've been rethinking this one.

A couple of Sci-Fi geeks at Scotland Yard figured out how to attend every Sci-Fi convention in Europe or the planet on the company dime??!?

Freaking brilliant!!! I don't know who these people are but well done sirs... Well done indeed!

See, I am an optimist. :D
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    unless you know the situation in the uk, and for those of us who do realize it. they likely hired some "researchers" to carry out a "survey" which takes money out of the tax payers hand so they can get rich from it. then all they need to do is make up some answer and get the rest of their payment, after which i am sure is a 5 year assignment. no doubt the researchers are kids of rich families who want to get their kids into eton to complete their schooling and by having a serious organisation you worked with, it would help prop up the start of a political career of failing upwards.

as for trek fans, there are some die hard fans, but even i doubt they would go to the point of killing themselves over a tv show. not unless they were really nutty.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    unless you know the situation in the uk, and for those of us who do realize it. they likely hired some "researchers" to carry out a "survey" which takes money out of the tax payers hand so they can get rich from it. then all they need to do is make up some answer and get the rest of their payment, after which i am sure is a 5 year assignment. no doubt the researchers are kids of rich families who want to get their kids into eton to complete their schooling and by having a serious organisation you worked with, it would help prop up the start of a political career of failing upwards.
    First i though it was about old men (or some snobs) fearing what they don't understand, but this is really disturbing tbh.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Meh, I've seen dumber things. I don't want to start a political bebate but an example is how Texas thinks the Federal troops will put everyone in concentration camps. Will wonders never cease:rolleyes:.

*is in Texas*
    *has never thought anything like this, or met anyone who has*
    76561198032353876.png
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I just read that the guy in the UK who made his flat look like a Voy-era Starfleet facility, was jailed a few years back for child TRIBBLE offences... Now not to tar everyone with the same brush, of course, but damn that dude crashed bigtime... :(
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What happens when "Torchwood" gets canceled.:P