Install Arc
Options

Extra Credits on Humane Game Design and STO

2»

Comments

• Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Another thread on how Evil and Manipulative our Cryptic Overlords are, seriously?

can you blame them?

its not like cryptic have intentionally made the game far more expensive than it needed to be, to be successful and continue to be......oh wait they did.

*sigh*.

I really do wish they would be upfront with us about their reasons for the price of things in game.

for example the R&D system didnt need to be so heavily fueled on dil and yet it is, one can only one draw a single conclusion from that - they are targeting impulse buyers. Which unfortunately is a large market, even worse is that its pretty obvious (if you think about it of course) that the raising in difficulty, the increase in levels for gear and other issues was all part of the whole Idea to encourage people to buy dil. which encourages them to buy zen in turn milking the community dry of money.

the R&D system as it stands in terms of cost was totally unnessasary and yet they did it anyway.
    There was no good reason for it, they were already making a killing as it is money wise and its not like PWE is "small".

That said the game is far more generous than others....but you have to wonder.. when you dangle a carrot infront of a donkey does it blindly chase it or stand still and ignore it?

the carrot is the gear rarity and upgrading. the donkey is us. the people who put the carrot there? cryptic.
  • Options
    induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    can you blame them?

its not like cryptic have intentionally made the game far more expensive than it needed to be, to be successful and continue to be......oh wait they did.

*sigh*.

I really do wish they would be upfront with us about their reasons for the price of things in game.

for example the R&D system didnt need to be so heavily fueled on dil and yet it is, one can only one draw a single conclusion from that - they are targeting impulse buyers. Which unfortunately is a large market, even worse is that its pretty obvious (if you think about it of course) that the raising in difficulty, the increase in levels for gear and other issues was all part of the whole Idea to encourage people to buy dil. which encourages them to buy zen in turn milking the community dry of money.

the R&D system as it stands in terms of cost was totally unnessasary and yet they did it anyway.
    There was no good reason for it, they were already making a killing as it is money wise and its not like PWE is "small".

That said the game is far more generous than others....but you have to wonder.. when you dangle a carrot infront of a donkey does it blindly chase it or stand still and ignore it?

the carrot is the gear rarity and upgrading. the donkey is us. the people who put the carrot there? cryptic.

Unless you know how much money Cryptic makes from the game and compare it with costs, Server maintenance and Salaries ect... you can't say that Cryptic are evil cash grabbing Capitalist pigs because we don't know, they could be or they could not be but I think people jump to conclusions, I think people forget that the Game relies on micro transactions to stay afloat at least from I know.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If the story is true they wouldn't limit the forced farming to just one game.
    True, however I guess the point I was trying to make is that the developers do have some control over it after all. By going around the farmers and selling the currency themselves, they're effectively putting the farmers out of business. After all, when a player's choices are:

Buy from a gold farmer and risk either getting scammed or an account ban

-or-

Buy straight from the official source, no strings attached.

It's kind of a no brainer. :)
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif