Options

[VIDEO] Inspiration to the Public PVE/STF Queues

2»

Comments

• Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    snipey47a wrote: »
    In relation to my previous post, this thread has been expanded on by Borticus. Here is the link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/35voyv/star_trek_online_release_notes_may_14_2015/cr8bpk2

+1 to the devs for figuring this all out!!!

And +1 to all the players who investigated and brought light to the problems :)
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    While I am sure the command vessels ability(ies) have been an issue, I still think a good portion of it, still stems from the game coding designed for certain stages.

Because, only certain stages, seemingly have this issue, while other's are completely/utterly lag free.

Not to mention, the possibility of 1 or more traits, having an issue leading to some as well, which trait(s) might also be the culprit(s)?

I couldn't begin to know atm. :confused:
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    While I am sure the command vessels ability(ies) have been an issue, I still think a good portion of it, still stems from the game coding designed for certain stages.

Because, only certain stages, seemingly have this issue, while other's are completely/utterly lag free.

Not to mention, the possibility of 1 or more traits, having an issue leading to some as well, which trait(s) might also be the culprit(s)?

I couldn't begin to know atm. :confused:

Gets into the combination of what Bort and Targ said over on reddit...
    Bort wrote:
    We recently were able to do some server profiling of the Powers system, and Inspiration was revealed as the far-and-away leader of the pack in terms of performance impact.

But it was, by no means, alone.

We're also having to clean up many other powers that in years-gone-by probably would not have been an issue. But as the game has matured, and players gain more and more access to different sources of additional powers (Rep Traits, Specs, Starship Traits, increased # of equipment slots, etc, etc.) it has really started to add up.

In fact, we're going so far as asking our poor, overworked programmers (like /u/CrypticBatsoup) to create entirely new code paths so that we can lighten the load of certain types of powers on the back end, without having to re-design their functionality.

Long story short: Inspiration changes should improve matters significantly, but it's not the end of the road. And we're going to continue improving things for many months and years to come.

Also, Attack Pattern Beta was apparently the #2 culprit, as I understand it. So... consider laying off the Recluse spam? ;)
    Targ wrote:
    As a player, I wouldn't worry too much about using Attack Pattern Beta. It is definitely a cause of some performance issues, but it's nowhere near on the level of what Inspiration was doing. And interestingly enough, it's not even firing weapons when Attack Pattern Beta is active that's the problem. It's activating it to start with.

We've identified a number of issues related to server performance in regards to the Powers you guys are using (Mostly in Space, but some on Ground). Of all the problems we identified, Inspiration is the only one that really needed a redesign. The rest we should be able to fix pretty invisibly. In fact, it's doubtful that the server performance gains we get from fixes beyond the ones we're making to Inspiration will be very visible to you guys at all. But it will make the Hamsters run faster, which is only a good thing.

We'll be making these changes over the coming weeks and months, but our goal is to make for as smooth a playing experience for you guys as we can.

In regards to Inspiration, and players seeing lag even with no Command Ships in their STFs, that has a lot to do with our server architecture. Long story short, if you're playing Infected Space, there are multiple instances of Infected Space happening on one server process. So if any of those instances happened to have a Command Ship in it, you felt the lag from it.
    Targ wrote:
    This might make more sense if we talk about what Attack Pattern Beta does. Attack Pattern Beta adds a brand new effect to all of your weapons fire. It adds a Damage Resistance effect that wasn't there before.

It's specifically adding that brand new effect that's the culprit. Doing that involves running some insanely expensive operations on the server, because we're adding a new ability for 10 seconds that never before existed.
    Bort wrote:
    Targ wrote:
    because we're adding a new ability for 10 seconds that never before existed.
    ... to an arbitrary subset of your existing powers.

Activating APB basically causes all of your powers (all of them - even the hidden/secret/things-you-don't-know-exist) to get re-checked and then re-loaded, so that the powers system knows which ones gain this extra effect for the next 10 seconds.

...and well, one would have to follow them discussing it there (not here, /facepalm) to keep track of if they have any additional replies. Snipey dropped out the link earlier.
  • Options
    nh3rdnh3rd Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the info snipey. Nerts to visiting different pages to keep up with the devs. It should have been posted here.

Keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This one might also be a biggie, as I was using enhanced rendering shots earlier and, experienced huge lag issues, stop using it and it seemed to go smother the next run so, this is also one they may want to check!!!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    edited May 2015
    This one might also be a biggie, as I was using enhanced rendering shots earlier and, experienced huge lag issues, stop using it and it seemed to go smother the next run so, this is also one they may want to check!!!

Thing is...based on their conversation there...it could be...it might not be...it could have next to nothing to do with what you're doing, but rather something to do with what everybody else is doing...with them not evening being in the same instance as you.

It coming down to how the instances were created...and...likely tied into the prioritization of those various instances and the number of them.

Delta Rising Launched (New Queues) -> Mirror Invasion Event -> Winter Event -> Anniversary Event -> Crystalline Event -> Delta Recruit Event -> Season 10 (New Queues)...

With each one, ISA seemed to get worse and worse...as if resources had been shifted and kept being shifted from it for other things - cause the CBCs and so forth weren't until Feb, and things had already started going south before that - but they really started going south with Crystalline, then Delta Recruit, and then Season 10...etc, etc, etc.

Honestly, just started feeling like they didn't want anybody playing any of the old Borg STFs....which fits the typical channeling thing; but I guess since folks just stopped playing instead of playing other things - they're going to address it. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    snipey47a wrote: »
    In relation to my previous post, this thread has been expanded on by Borticus. Here is the link:

http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/35voyv/star_trek_online_release_notes_may_14_2015/cr8bpk2

thx for the link :)

I now have the answer to one of my questions
  • Options
    tigerblade66tigerblade66 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No server-side Lag my *$#... Now I’m reading they’ve narrowed down specific coding to address.:mad:
  • Options
    sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited May 2015
    paging all lag deniers. clean-up in aisle 3.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Now, now...they were probably doing some ERP with their vanity pets on their bridges and weren't experiencing any lag at all...
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In regards to Inspiration, and players seeing lag even with no Command Ships in their STFs, that has a lot to do with our server architecture. Long story short, if you're playing Infected Space, there are multiple instances of Infected Space happening on one server process. So if any of those instances happened to have a Command Ship in it, you felt the lag from it.

Finally, an explanation that makes sense. I was wondering why you could have a que with no command ships at all and still have lag if the cause was inspiration. This is the first time I have seen them offer an explanation on how that works. It makes sense, it's overall server load not just the effect on the specific instance.

I think the lag deniers left a long time ago. The only issue in debate was the cause of the lag and the frequency/severity. The Lag problem was acknowledged by the Devs quite a while ago.

I'm just happy to see they're making it a priority, I'm really looking forward to the patch in the morning. Even though I don't usually suffer too much from it, it should be even smoother after they fix it. That's always a good thing.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Really tempted to steal this and make it my first sig. :D
  • Options
    unsacredgraveunsacredgrave Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    another good thing about the lag fix is, that it hopefully reduces the amount of "[VIDEO]" threads...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    another good thing about the lag fix is, that it hopefully reduces the amount of "[VIDEO]" threads...

Nah, with the lag clearing up - folks will be able to take advantage of all the new toys introduced during the era of lag...which will lead to all sorts of cool new vids demonstrating what can be done.

Besides, have to figure there will be a T6 Defiant, right? I want to see ISA - Iconic, with a Galaxy (Andromeda), Defiant (whatever they call it), and Pathfinder (Intrepid) with a nfity remix of the theme.

And with no lag going on at some point, I want to see ISA - Top Guns, with Pilot ships and a nifty remix of Top Gun Anthem.

Oh man, so many awesome videos would be possible once the lag clears up...
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Oh man, so many awesome videos would be possible once the lag clears up...

Not to mention new dps records, to slap powercrepp back in certain peoples faces :D
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Good vid. And a well-chosen music score!

At 1:28, though, when the game hangs, and crashes, that has been happening 2 or 3 times a day for me too, for the last week or so. Maybe they can put down their 'XP Nerf Chart' for a moment, and work on fixing that too?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Now, now...they were probably doing some ERP with their vanity pets on their bridges and weren't experiencing any lag at all...

You win the internet! LOL
    P58WJe7.jpg