test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Zen/Dil exchange question

voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
Sell Zen = 243Dil @ 2.600'ish units.
Sell Dil = 248 Dil/Zen @ 53.000'ish units.

What's with the difference here?
I do not get this?
Is it some sort of tax?
Post edited by voivodje on

Comments

• Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It should only be 1 apart. Sometimes you can find for same price and sometimes 2 off.

I wait until it is at worst only 1 off if I want to move some between characters.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It depends on where you are looking at.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It should only be 1 apart. Sometimes you can find for same price and sometimes 2 off.

I wait until it is at worst only 1 off if I want to move some between characters.

Y'know it's possible to transfer dilithium without buying and selling Zen, right? Create an offer on the exchange (I usually set it to 25 dil/Zen; either no one will accept the offer, or I'll be glad they did ;)), then cancel the deal. That'll stick dilithium on the Exchange on your account, and you can then withdraw it with whichever character you want to have the dilithium.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sirmayday wrote: »
    Y'know it's possible to transfer dilithium without buying and selling Zen, right? Create an offer on the exchange (I usually set it to 25 dil/Zen; either no one will accept the offer, or I'll be glad they did ;)), then cancel the deal. That'll stick dilithium on the Exchange on your account, and you can then withdraw it with whichever character you want to have the dilithium.

Yes, I have heard this method but I guess I have always been too wary of it going wrong somehow to try it
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sirmayday wrote: »

Shhhhhhhhhhh
    They ll nerf it ;)
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    voivodje wrote: »

When you are looking at the top 5 offers on the sell dil side, you are currently seeing the offers to purchase dil from players trying to sell ZEN.

When you are looking at the sell ZEN side, you are looking at offers from players looking to purchase dil.

That is the reason the amount are different, the ZEN sellers are trying to get as much as possible for their zen, while dil sellers are trying to get ZEN as cheap as possible.

As for those who mentioned how to transfer dil between alts, remember the saying, "snitches get ......"
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited May 2015

What's with the difference here?
    I do not get this?
    Is it some sort of tax?

Everything show on the exchange, is done in zen & dilithium values.

Selling zen side looks exactly like the buy zen side but, there is a HUGE difference in representation.

On the buy zen side as is the sell zen side, we have 2 sets of numbers displayed.

1: How much dilithium it costs to purchase 1 zen
    2: How much zen is being offered for sale/or can be bought

If we use your example of selling zen [because this is where some people might get confused]
    243dil @ 2600zen
    &
    245dil @ 53,000zen

What you are seeing on this tab side [sellers side], is how much dilithium it costs to purchase 1 zen [represented by the 243 & 245], while the zen represents how much zen is able to be purchased via dilithium bids. [represented by the 2600 & 53,000/aka buying strength]

Now if it were the buy zen side, than it works pretty much the same but, if we use the same example numbers, it would indicate like this.
    243dil @ 2600zen [243dilith per 1 zen @ 2600zen available for instant purchase from zen seller bids]
    &
    245dil @ 53,000zen [245dilith per 1 zen @ 53,000zen available for instant purchase from zen seller bids]

Buy zen side shows the top 5 offers of zen ready for sale, while the sell zen side shows the top 5 offers that dilithium sellers are willing to offer.

Now, there could always be a possibility of someone offering higher/lower than the top 5, it's just the exchange only shows the top 5 currently.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Shhhhhhhhhhh
    They ll nerf it ;)

I actually almost kept a lid on it, just because they might. ;)
    Yes, I have heard this method but I guess I have always been too wary of it going wrong somehow to try it

I hear you; I discovered it by accident getting ready to transfer dil by buying/selling Zen. FWIW, I've been playing 18+ months and haven't lost a single unit of refined dilithium by this method. The biggest risk, near as I can tell, is accidentally creating an offer to buy Zen at the current rate, which should be easily reversible if you notice and act quickly. I've always noticed before accidentally creating such an offer, though.
  • Options
    edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015

The only way it can go "wrong" is if someone accepts your offer of 25 dil per zen, which means you profit immensely. It's foolproof.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2015

done it loads of times without fail, the only point to make is you can only transfer sums that are divisible by the price you set.

so if you wanted to transfer say 1000 dil you could set the price at 25dil>1zen but if you were transferring 1010 you would need to recalculate and perhaps sell 975 at 25>1 and 1 lot of 35>1, or just stick to round figures.
    the only thing I make a point of only cancelling one sale and withdrawing at a time just to be safe.
    I did cancel both once without thinking and it just auto withdrew the first amount for me but its best to be safe.

other then that its a breeze.

and whats the worst that could happen? someone buys your dil and you make a killing, unlikely but I live in hope.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My point was the difference between tab 1 and 2?
    Why are they different?

Quite strange.

I mean, if 1 Zen = 248Dil, then 248 dil should be 1 zen, no?
    But that is not the case, and I wonder why?

At this very moment the difference is 2 Zen, but what is that, some theft tax?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    My point was the difference between tab 1 and 2?
    Why are they different?

Quite strange.

I mean, if 1 Zen = 248Dil, then 248 dil should be 1 zen, no?
    But that is not the case, and I wonder why?

The only difference between the 2, is one is for people with dilithium wanting to buy zen instantly [aka buy side], while the other is for people wanting to sell zen for dilithium instantly [aka sell side]

Both represent offers made by sellers/buyers

Buy side shows offers made by zen sellers

Sell side shows offers made by dilithium sellers

Both use a dilithium:zen ratio representation

While the offer section does the math for you.

Zen amount being sold/wanting to buy
    Dilithium:zen rate
    Total dilithium offered for sale/wanting to buy
    Submit Offer

• Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The only way it can go "wrong" is if someone accepts your offer of 25 dil per zen, which means you profit immensely. It's foolproof.

Won't work. If you try to sell zen for 25 dil each it will always go to the highest offer available at the time automatically. So there's no way you will ever get lucky enough to buy zen for 25 dil each, unless the whole market crashes and that's the highest offer everyone is posting.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Won't work. If you try to sell zen for 25 dil each it will always go to the highest offer available at the time automatically. So there's no way you will ever get lucky enough to buy zen for 25 dil each, unless the whole market crashes and that's the highest offer everyone is posting.

Most likely a failsafe mechanic so, that people don't accidently sell zen that low and, so that players looking to exchange dilithium between toons, will always have the option to do so.