test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Physical Damage resist..to add or no?

jaydenomega812jaydenomega812 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
Is a physical damage resistance mechanic going to be added in order to help soften the blow from physical damage. I think right now I've only seen it in pvp (Andromeda deals 4877 (7376) Physical Damage(Critical) to you with Destabilizing Resonance Beam III.) but going forward from there should NPC's start using physical damage I would like to see a physical damage resist mechanic added in cause as it is now the destabilizing resonance beam seems incredibly overpowered. However, instead of starting a thread to nerf that power I would rather see if a physical damage resist mechanic is going to be added in the near future.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think the closest we will get is "ResAll" which we have a fair amount of, and short of reducing the base damage while increasing the benefit of aux and particle gens accordingly (which seems to be the opposite to Cryptic's policy) I don't see a way to reduce it's performance while not hurting scis too much or buffing it for tacs.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    jaydenomega812jaydenomega812 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    adamkafei wrote: »
    I think the closest we will get is "ResAll" which we have a fair amount of, and short of reducing the base damage while increasing the benefit of aux and particle gens accordingly (which seems to be the opposite to Cryptic's policy) I don't see a way to reduce it's performance while not hurting scis too much or buffing it for tacs.

That's just it though...the res all from neutroniums don't seem to include physical damage resist. I know some ships have it in there mastery package, but since it's not listed under stats I would assume it's not really a mechanic of the game. I would like to see it included though as well as being included into the res all of neutroniums.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    That's just it though...the res all from neutroniums don't seem to include physical damage resist.

Interesting, I'll have to do some testing when I can, hopefully tomorrow, I know there is no listing in the stats for it but I think it's supposed to work the same way as electrical damage, in that only things that add to all resistances resist it, the other point of course is that when you spec into particle gens to the point of 400+ and then add aux power, it does overperform just slightly, though on the flipside, when you're that dedicated to something, I suppose you've earned a treat like this.

In the meantime however a good strategy is to keep either an engine battery handy or evasive manoeuvres off cooldown, DRB only has a 135 degree firing arc and science ships aren't the fastest things out there.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Sorry I didn't post again sooner, I did some testing with a friend, the results showed that things like hazard emitters and Aux2Damp help, it appears physical damage is a subcategory of kinetic damage.

So the safest defence seems to be running an aux2damp build.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Mk XII Neutronium VR:
    +21.2 Kinetic Damage Resistance Rating
    Kinetic
    +21.2 All Energy Damage Resistance Rating
    DamageSetEnergy

Last I checked, Kinetic = Physical. That being the case, we already have physical resistances. It's just that in your particular example, that particular enemy did a wallop on you since he/she criticaled.

Hence why the TR-116B is so effective against Borg. It ignores shields because it's NOT energy. It's a physical object slamming into another physical object.

Also, you mention this happened in PvP,... I don't PvP at all but I do believe that resistances and strengths of buffs/duration of effects are reduced against player vs. npc's.

So, assuming that Kinetic is in fact synonymous with Physical damage as I believe it is, any given resistance console or buff would be weaker against another player than it would be against an ai npc.

Unless I missed a memo somewhere,...
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Kinetic and Physical are different, at least in ground. Both enhanceable by distinct sources.

Kinetic = explosions, such as quantum mortars, mines and stuff.
    Physical = melee attacks, and aberrations like the Zefram shotty. I've read a few reports that the TR116B also falls under Physical, and not Kinetic.

I tend to believe they are different in space as well. This all started with the Nukara Web Mines, then started becoming a thing. Not sure it's a wording confusion, but I am pretty sure that folks reported the inability to defend against those mines in the past, no matter how much Kinetic resistance they had.

This is a no brainer for me: either remove Physical damage from the space metagame, or add reliable means to defend against it in space.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive