test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why do I keep getting zoomed out...

steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
..and what, if anything, can I do to stop it?

Basically, my preferred viewpoint is to be zoomed in as close to my ship as possible. That applies whether I'm in sector space, at a hub, in combat or wherever else. Before the alterations to sector space this wasn't a problem as the game seemed to remember my preference and never deviated from it.

Now, however, every time I transfer from one sector map to another, or enter/leave a system, I find myself zoomed all the way out and I have to make a manual correction to get things back how I like them. Now, I appreciate that's not too much of a task, but it is an annoyance when it never used to be required.

Is there a way that I can force (for want of a better word) the game to store my zoom preferences so that I don't have to keep doing this?

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by steaen on

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I suspect it has to do with the removal of the Sector Block Walls. "Sector Space" rescales all ships, to give space the right feeling, but that means you're camera settings are no longer fitting to the scale of the ship. I am not sure if that actualy means the camera is reset, or it still has the same settings as before, but the ship is now much smaller.

I don't think there is anything you can do, and I imagine that there is also no simple solution on the dev side, since ships have different sizes and trying to calculate a camera viewpoint that leads to the same effect in sector space as in system space could be difficult.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Every time I change maps I have to zoom in or out. Sometimes I'm way out and have to click like 20 times to get back in. This is pretty ridiculous and something so basic to game play. I hope this isn't the new normal.
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's not like this issue has been reported on tribble since day 1 of the new sector space....oh wait, it was.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Type the following command into the Chat Window:

< /setregionfov space default >

This will reset your camera distance to whatever the Devs have programmed it to as a Standard. The numerical value for the Default setting is 55, IIRC. So you could also type in:

< /setregionfov space 55 >

Obviously, if you want to get closer to your ship you could lower the numerical value. You would raise it if you wanted a wider field of view when fully zoomed in. I've not explored the command fully, but I think the numerical values are from 5 to 95. As you approach the ends of the scale the picture will have some distortion which become more and more noticeable the further the setting is from 55.

I use < /setregionfov space 65 >. Gives my laptop a decent view of my ship while not allowing parts of my ship to hide things I need to see. One last thing, if you type the command into Chat incorrectly, it is ignored. So you cannot break the game by using this.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.