test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So... Just how broken is the exchange ?

2»

Comments

• ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I still have to figure out how to properly search for Fed prisoners. All I ever see is 400 Klingon prisoners I cannot use :/

Or for proper DOFFs.

:/
    ryuga81.png
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    One thing id like changed with the exchange is sub catagories

what i mean is lets say reward packs i got looking for a ship and have to type in exactly what i want it would be far easier to have a "Ships" sub catagory under reward packs to make searching a little easier.

sometimes i like to browse but cant do that since i have to type each little thing so yeah a sub catagory in the reward packs section.

Ships

Ground Gear

Space Gear

Pets ( both non and combat variety )

this would make browsing a little easier
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    One thing id like changed with the exchange is sub catagories

what i mean is lets say reward packs i got looking for a ship and have to type in exactly what i want it would be far easier to have a "Ships" sub catagory under reward packs to make searching a little easier.

sometimes i like to browse but cant do that since i have to type each little thing so yeah a sub catagory in the reward packs section.

Ships

Ground Gear

Space Gear

Pets ( both non and combat variety )

this would make browsing a little easier

Hmm, reminds me of the difference in SWTOR and STO exchanges. SW uses a key word check and STO seems to use an exact match check. I wonder how hard it is to make it go by key words?

Also the other exchange can do partial matches so if you say typed Feren you would end up with everything Ferengi. Just a thought.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    lowy1 wrote: »
    The exchange is smoked right now. I tried searching for vr mk xii armor yesterday by selecting VR, personal armor, and RA UH and I got no results. I dropped the rank req and added descending price and low and behold, they showed up.
    Actually... IIRC no rank of gear actually requires RAUH, it's either RALH, or Admiral.
    feiqa wrote: »
    Hmm, reminds me of the difference in SWTOR and STO exchanges. SW uses a key word check and STO seems to use an exact match check. I wonder how hard it is to make it go by key words?

Also the other exchange can do partial matches so if you say typed Feren you would end up with everything Ferengi. Just a thought.
    A keyword search like you mentioned is basically searching for multiple things at once. Thus the amount of processing is slightly greater than the processing required to do a separate search for each of the keywords.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    kiardras wrote: »
    I've been having some issues with the exchange, pretty certain I was doing everything right.

I made some Superior beams upgrades. First, I dragged one to the search box, and saw then up for 350k. Then, I dragged mine to the sell box, and put them up for 229,999.

After two days, it appeared the expensive ones were selling at 350k, but mine weren't.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I dunno, but it seemed weird.

This. This was for me (whilst I was grinding EC) one of my main sources of income as I had a truly vulgar surplus of materials to make this particular tech.
    I encountered the exact same problem a while back.
    I searched for the item I wanted to sell to see what the going price was. Posted my items accordingly and 24 hours later they haven't sold? When according to my U.I they are still by far the lowest item listed for one of the most popular purchases? For a time I thought it was just me but then others mentioned the same problem to me.
    Thankfully of late I've been busy gearing out my Delta character and doing Iconian things, so I've just sort of hoped this problem would get fixed before I went back to EC grind rather than Rep points. Aparently not.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • frontierplanetsfrontierplanets Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    scififan78 wrote: »
    Check your mail for returned items. There is a 40 item max limit on items posted on the exchange and this includes returned items sitting in your mail.

Oh...

Rats. :mad:
    For best results, read my posts in the voice of Sheogorath, Daedric Prince of Madness.

*busts down your door while wearing a Starfleet uniform*
    Time to boldy go, losers.
    #this is how you SHOULD collect your crew from shore leave
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I dont know about anyone else but, I bought a couple of extras Fleet Ship Modules from the C-Store a few days and for 2 days straight, no matter what I did, they would NOT show on the exchange, despite saying the item was posted successfully.

Everything else I posted during that time, Keys, loot, commodities etc,.. posted and sold just fine.

I finally ended up selling my FSM's to a Fleet Member off exchange.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The "All" category has been broken for a while now. This bug is very old and well known to those of us who frequent the "Gameplay Bug Reports" forum. I recently decided to report the bug again with detailed reproduction steps.

Holodeck ticket #3,411,570: Exchange does not show all items in "All" Category
    The exchange is only broken for items that cryptic decided for reasons passing all human understanding not to assign to exchange categories.

Specifically: fleet ship modules, ship upgrade tokens, and salvaged tech.

For anything that fits into any of the categories, the exchange works perfectly well, as long as you know to always select an item category when searching.

The 'all search' has been broken and fixed and broken again many times since i started sto. It seems every season/major update they either break or fix it.

It's not only broken for items not assigned to a specific category. See the bug report above. I gave an example using "Antiproton Mag Regulator Mk XII".
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Dont get me wrong i like STOs exchange compared to SWTOR i find that one a beast of a sheet :D

My whole thought was take what we have already and make it a little more user friendly :)
  • hawkrunnerhawkrunner Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I sold a Salvaged Technology for 1.4 million earlier this week... an absolutely absurd price, considering how cheap the experimental techs are posted at and you need TWO salvaged techs to make them.

For those who are saying to search the categories, yes that works IF you can do it, but things like Salvaged Technology are not assigned to a category (despite being called R&D Materials in their tooltip), and they take hours or days to appear under the "search all" function, which really seems to favor those who are posting them for these absurd prices.

The other workaround used to be to set the Rank to Lieutenant, but this too no longer works, and in some cases even reduces the number of available items.

I also sold a rank 3 pilot manual for 875k, which is marked up by about 3 times what it was a couple weeks ago... Pilot manuals also lack a category on the exchange.
    edited May 2015

Actually... IIRC no rank of gear actually requires RAUH, it's either RALH, or Admiral.

A keyword search like you mentioned is basically searching for multiple things at once. Thus the amount of processing is slightly greater than the processing required to do a separate search for each of the keywords.
    Dont get me wrong i like STOs exchange compared to SWTOR i find that one a beast of a sheet :D

My whole thought was take what we have already and make it a little more user friendly :)

I've suggested before how to improve the Exchange search, but I don't think anyone understood what I was saying.

First, to clear up any confusion, STO's Exchange search does not require an exact match. It requires that what you type in the search box be a case insensitive substring of the item name. For example, searching for "beam array mk xii" would work, but searching for "phaser beam array xii" would not. The second query should be more specific than the first, but the second query returns no results because it's missing the "mk" in front of "xii". Of course, anyone who plays this game could tell you that "xii" must be referring to the mark, but the Exchange is too dumb to know that.

My guess is that they are using a SQL-based search. For example, if you search for "Antiproton Mag Regulator Mk XII" under the category "Ship Console - Tactical", then the Exchange probably contructs a query like this:

SELECT *
    FROM exchange_table
    WHERE item_name like '%Antiproton Mag Regulator Mk XII%'
    AND category = 'Ship Console - Tactical'

Modern search engines don't work this way. They use an inverted index to perform full-text searches. If the Exchange search were built like a modern search engine, then even with only the search bar and no categories or filters, I should be able to find all very rare fabrication engineers with the "Resolve" trait by searching for "fabrication engineer very rare resolve". The reason is that all information about the item---the name, quality, rank, traits, and description---would be indexed. There are open-source search engines available (see the links below), but Cryptic would need a programmer to integrate one of them into the the game.

http://lucene.apache.org/
    http://lucene.apache.org/solr/
    http://sphinxsearch.com/

That being said, I don't expect to see a modern search engine in this game, because they can't even bother to fix the bugs in their current search engine.
    qVpg1km.png
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have had no problem listing and selling items on the exchange, I even had some items i listed today sell within minutes.

cant say too much about buying cos I haven't bought anything in ages but I knew the quality select trick none the less and its been like that as long as I can remember.

having said that the exchange could do with a good overhaul that's true but it would probably mean everyone would need to stop listing if they updated it or risk loosing stuff.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    They should just remove the "All" tab completely, since it's apparently never going to be fixed.
    edited May 2015
    Really granular marketplaces in mmos take a good deal of the fun out of it.

I'm not quite sure what "granular" means in this context. The best I can guess is that you mean something like "able to be searched at a low level of detail".
    warpangel wrote: »
    They should just remove the "All" tab completely, since it's apparently never going to be fixed.

They can't just remove the "All" category, because some items do not have a specific category. Off the top of my head, the following items can only be found in the "All" category: fleet ship modules; minor, major, and critical components; minor, major, and critical regenerators; the spatial charge launcher and possibly other universal consoles that do not come in a separate box.
    qVpg1km.png
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    the ability to have very specific, precise, detailed control.

too much information makes the market too efficient to have enjoyable wheeling and dealing and hunting and bargaining.

Anyway, the items being uncategorized, when the exchange requires categories to function right is a bug in the game and a mistake by the programmers. A lazy mistake when it comes to fleet ship mods. They used to fall under the category of data samples, but it was removed when R&D was added.

I highlighted the part where I think they can't ever get rid of the all category.
    I would not think to look for a fleet module as a data sample.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
    edited May 2015
    the ability to have very specific, precise, detailed control.

too much information makes the market too efficient to have enjoyable wheeling and dealing and hunting and bargaining.

I think we both understand that an efficient search leads to an efficient market, but we have opposite preferences in this regard. Right now, certain inefficiencies in the market are due to mistakes made by inexperienced players who do not know where to look for information on the Exchange. Someone may buy an item for a higher price than he would otherwise, because he doesn't know that someone else is selling the same item for less. Someone may sell an item for a lower price than he would otherwise, because he doesn't know that someone else is selling the same item for more. I would gladly trade the profits that can be had from taking advantage of such mistakes for the ability to easily find information on the Exchange.
    A lazy mistake when it comes to fleet ship mods. They used to fall under the category of data samples, but it was removed when R&D was added.

So that's what happened. I knew that they used to be under another category, but for some reason, I misremembered that category as "Commodities".
    qVpg1km.png