What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Trials of Blood and Fire (FanFic)

ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Ten Forward
Star Trek: Victorious - Trials of Blood and Fire

Chapter One: Prisoner 160897.
The corridor is almost pitch black as his aching body is dragged through, the two figures holding him up by his shoulders. As if it were consolation, at least the Cardassian room temperature was mercifully warm. His jaw still aches from where they yanked out his molar, the metallic taste of his own blood still sloshing in his mouth.

He finally hears the hum of a forcefield, before feeling a sharp, bone-shaking pain as he's thrown into a cell, slipping down to the floor. He sits there for a few minutes - hours - he loses track after a while, before the sound of heavy footfalls approaches his cell. "Prisoner 160897. Terran. Approximately 25 years of age, according to the standards of your race." After a few moments of silence, the prisoner hears the voice start again. "Can you hear me?"

The prisoner coughs, spitting the blood out onto the floor. "Allington... Ryan GT... Rank: Commander... Serial number... 2408A1624..."

"You can relax, Commander, we have all the answers we want for now. I am Gul Skrain Kutar. I am here to inform you ahead of proceedings as to protocol."

Ryan slowly forces his head up to look Kutar in the eyes, "What proceedings?"

"Your trial, of course. For crimes against the True Way and the Cardassian People."

Ryan lets out a sound akin to something between a laugh and a cough. "I take it I'm guilty and that the penalty is death?"

"Indeed."

"So..." Ryan forces himself upright. "Spacing or firing squad?"

One week Earlier, Stardate: 87958.1.

"The Federation Diplomatic Corps are tied up with the Klingons, Romulans, Breen and Deferi, so you're all we can spare." Ambassador Jiro Sugihara is sitting in a plush armchair next to Ryan, both of them seated in Admiral Jorel Quinn's Office on Earth Spacedock.

"I understand sir." Ryan nods to the Ambassador as he looks over the mission.

"Suffice it to say that the Federation holds the Treaty of Bajor in high esteem, but we also cannot afford to allow the Detapa Council to fall. That would allow the Klingons, or God forbid the Dominion, to move in and potentially cause irreparable harm to Federation Security."

"More irreparable than letting an Undine impersonate a top Federation Ambassador on one of the Core Worlds?" Ryan looks at Sugihara with a degree of snark.

Sugihara returns it to some small extent. "Possibly."

"Strategically, we need the Cardassians on-side, Commander." Quinn walks across the room from his desk. "Admiral Ross has already cleared your mission orders."

"So my mission is to meet the Detapa Council and re-negotiate the terms of the Treaty?" Ryan looks between the two of them.

"Not exactly. You'll meet two of the Detapa Council's leading members, Councillor Elim Garak and Councillor Ilyana Ghemor. They'll rendezvous with you at Minos Korva aboard a Galor-Class Starship."

"Understood, sir."

"Commander, there's something else. Fleet resources are extremely thin on the Cardassian Border. If the True Way attack you, you're on your own."

Ryan nods as he stands up. "When do I leave?"

2 hours later, the docking pylons of McKinley Station retract outwards, away from its enclosure of the U.S.S. Victorious, as the Ambassador-Class' Warp Nacelles come to life with the blue glow of the warp plasma and the red/orange glow of the Bussard Collectors before the thrusters spring into action, pushing the ship forwards and into open space.

"We have cleared Spacedock, Captain." The ship's new helmsman, Ensign Heja Kalynn, a Bajoran, looks over her shoulder as Ryan is taking the centre chair.

"Nice work, Ensign. Set course for the outer marker, one-half impulse."

"Aye sir. Course laid in."

Ryan takes in a breath, before swinging his hand forward, index and middle fingers outstretched together. "Engage."

One Week Later, Stardate: 87976.7. True Way Detention Camp.

"I must admit captain, you're being very passive toward your situation, given your race." Gul Kutar is watching Ryan through the ochre glow of the forcefield as Ryan remains in the corner, now having been given robes to cover himself.

"The way I see it, under the old Cardassian Judicial system, guilt was established before trial even began. The accused wasn't even allowed to give any words in his own defence."

"Of course. Bringing the innocent to trial would be unfair."

"More than that, my advocate's job won't be to defend me, but to make excuses and praise the 'Great Cardassian Judicial System'. What would be the point of me resisting a fate you've already committed me to? You may as well just throw me in an airlock right now ad open the space doors." Ryan's tone turns to defiance and contempt.

"Nothing so droll. You will be taken into the desert and hung for your crimes."

"You still haven't told me what the charges are."

"But I have. You stand accused of crimes against the True Way and the Cardassian People."

"Yes, but what were the crimes?"

"You are accused of aiding criminals Elim Garak and Ilyana Ghemor - traitors to Cardassia - as well as the destruction of 3 warships and the deaths of 1,600 people. You are also accused of espionage and committing an act of war in Cardassian Space. Your death will serve as an example to all enemies of the True Cardassian Government."

Sarcastically, Ryan retorts; "I'm glad I can be of use." He looks away from Kutar, who walks away slowly.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ooh, new fanfic and in media res.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes - Ryan's keeping his spirits up for now...
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Chapter Two: Rendezvous.
    Stardate: 87960.9.

The U.S.S. Victorious approaches the moon of Minos Korva, where a Cardassian Defence Force Galor-Class Starship is waiting for them.

On the Bridge, Ryan is watching the viewscreen, as Alpha turns slightly from his console. "Identity confirmed, Captain. It is the Cardassian Defence Vessel Damar."

Carter is seated in his chair, looking to the side at his console readout, displaying a sensor scan of the CDV Damar. "Alpha, are those carbon scores on her hull caused by weapons fire?"

"Confirmed, sir. I am detecting traces of both nadions and antiprotons."

Ryan takes a heavy breath. "Cardassian Disruptors. She's been attacked."

"While I do not have sufficient data to draw a complete conclusion, I would surmise that the attackers were the True Way."

"No, Alpha. Really?" Tala sarcastically retorts, as she does a tactical scan of the ship. "Captain, we're being hailed."

Ryan nods to her, before straightening his uniform jacket and looking back to the viewscreen. "Onscreen." After a few moments, the image of the vessel's bridge appears, with its commander, a Cardassian Male who's hair is run down the back of the skull in the characteristic Cardassian fashion, looking stoically at Ryan. "I am Commander Ryan Allington of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Victorious."

"This is Gul Darnas of the Cardassian Defence Vessel Damar, Second Order. Are you ready to receive the Detapa Council's representatives?"

"We are. We noticed your ship has suffered some damage. Do you need--?"

"No. Our mission is to transfer Councillors Garak and Ghemor to your vessel. Now, if you will receive them, we can complete our mission."

Ryan takes a moment to recompose himself. "Very well. Lieutenant Alpha, transmit the coordinates for Transporter Room 3. Gul Darnas, if you could standby for just a moment?"

"Very well, Commander." Darnas closes the channel.

"Lovely fella." Carter remarks from his station as Tala and Alpha stand from their stations.

"Can't say I blame him, he's carrying two of his people's most important leaders." Ryan starts heading for the turbolift with the two officers. "You have the Bridge, Commander."

"Aye, sir."

As the Turbolift doors slide closed, and Tala orders the lift to deliver them to Transporter Room 3, Ryan stands in contemplation as he wonders about the situation. If the True Way have already attacked the vessel carrying the Councillors, how close are they to the meeting site? Why would they break off their attack? And why would the Detapa Council send its two most influential members to conduct negotiations? As the lift comes to a gentle stop and the doors glide open, the party continue on their path to the transporter room, before Ryan taps the comm control. "Victorious to Damar, you are cleared for transport."

After a moment, the golden swirls of light characteristic of Cardassian transporters begin to coalesce into two figures - one of a man clearly in his later years and the other of a middle-aged women. Both are wearing the Cardassian equivalent of formal wear, with panelled jackets coloured a dark shade of brown and shirts of a lighter shade, though the male's outfit seems significantly more stylised to personal taste, bearing influences of Tholian and Terran design. Ryan now takes note of the male's facial features, particularly his large, gazing eyes and a benevolent, but mischievous smile. The female's smile is much more soft and kind-natured.

Ryan steps forward as the two leave the pad, holding out a hand to greet them. "I am Commander Ryan Allington. Welcome aboard the U.S.S. Victorious."

The male tilts his head to the side deferentially as he shakes Ryan's hand. "A pleasure, Commander. Call me Garak."

"Councillor Garak."

"Just 'Garak' will do." He releases Ryan's hand and bows to let the women introduce herself.

"Councillor Ilyana Ghemor, Commander. It's an honour to meet you."

"The honour is mine, Councillor." Ryan nods before gesturing over to Alpha. "This is Lieutenant Alpha, my Operations Officer and Third-in-Command." He gestures over to Tala after Alpha acknowledges the guests. "And this is my Security Officer, Lieutenant Tala Tr'zanac."

"A pleasure." Garak takes lead of the conversation again, before Tala asks a question.

"If you don't mind my saying so, Councillor Garak, your outfit doesn't seem typically Cardassian."

"Let's just say being one's own tailor has it's... advantages." He smiles at Tala with that semi-benevolent, semi-enigmatic smile.

Tala raises an eyebrow, "A tailor?"

"Quite. Before the Dominion War, I spent my days as a humble, simple tailor. It was a slow existence, but, that is in the past."

Tala tilts her head, puzzled, before Ryan steps in again. "Would you both care to be shown to your Quarters?"

"Yes, thank you. Our trip was very tiring and, truth be told, I would be far more content to sleep right now."

"That can be arranged. Lieutenant?"

Tala nods. "Aye, sir." She gestures to the doors. "If you'll follow me, Councillors?" She leads them out of the transporter room as Ryan turns to Alpha, who appears to be in the midst of processing the conversation.

"Well? What's your impression?"

Alpha gives a thoughtful expression. "As I am an android, I am not capable of emotional impressions, Commander."

"Alright, what's your analysis of the Councillors?"

"I am afraid I have insufficient data to give an accurate--"

"Alpha."

"Yes, sir. Councillor Garak seems to be very enigmatic. I suspect he may not be completely truthful with us."

"And Councillor Ghemor?"

"Councillor Ghemor seems... trustworthy. She seems to be honest in her intentions."

"Anything else?"

"I have insufficient data."

"Alright." Ryan looks around the transporter room as the Transporter Operator runs a diagnostic in the corner. "Alpha, I want you to pull up everything Starfleet Intelligence has on our guests and inform me of your findings. Anything which could help me conduct negotiations."

"As you wish, sir."

"In the meantime, I think we should put some distance between us and Minos Korva."

"Sir?"

"Call it a hunch... but I have a bad feeling about this..."
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Still following. Liking the stage setting.

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Alright, I'll hopefully get the next one up tomorrow, and from there it should start coming together at a faster pace, as I'm going to be doing it from my laptop instead of my tablet (here's hoping).
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Chapter Three: Plain, Simple Garak

After Tala shows Councillor Ghemor to her Guest Quarters, she walks further along the corridor with the enigmatic figure of Elim Garak, who’s still bearing that strange, unreadable smirk. Tala opts not to communicate with him as they proceed further down the corridor, breathing in an unsteady manor. Ilyana’s presence was comforting enough, but Garak’s illusive aura of mystery is so impenetrable it’s unsettling Tala more than a ravenous pack of Warriguls – after being coated in blood.

Not that she is going to let it show, of course. She just keeps walking, eyes focused on the door numbers of each compartment as they soldier past. Finally, she sees the number she’s been begging for; 08/247 GUEST. “Here they are, Councillor.” She opens the door with a quick tap of the keys on the control panel before leading the Cardassian inside. “It’s mostly similar to what Councillor Ghemor has; 1 food replicator, a single King-size bed, a study room, kitchen and bathroom – both complete with running water – and full environmental control.” She takes a deep breath through the hot and arid air. “It’s already been set to Cardassia Prime’s average temperature and humidity.”

“Though notably less dust,” Garak muses, with both humour and a degree of sadness, “or radioactive fallout, for that matter.”

Tala clears her throat awkwardly. “If you need anything, you can call maintenance from the replicator panel. The computer will respond to all your requests.”

“Thank you, lieutenant. I’m sure I will find everything satisfactory. Now, if you’d be so kind, I’d like to retire.”

Tala nods as she turns to the door and starts to leave, breathing a relieved sigh once the doors whoosh sealed behind her. “Te’kak,” she looks up at the ceiling, “what did I do to deserve that?”

Meanwhile, on the Bridge, Ryan walks over to Alpha at one of the aft Science Stations, seeing lines of text blurring past almost every second, “Anything interesting?”

Alpha responds while still remaining focused on the content on the screen. “Councillor Ghemor is daughter to Tekeny Ghemor, a former leader of the Cardassian Dissident Movement, the organisation which founded the pre-war Detapa Council. Tekeny Ghemor was a member of the Cardassian Occupation Force on Bajor and participated in several military engagements. He was also present at the infamous massacre at the Kiessa Monestary, though according to Kai Kira Nerys he later apologised for his presence at the attack.

“Ilyana became separated from her father at some point during the Occupation when she accepted a deep-cover mission for the now-defunct Obsidian Order. As part of the mission, her memories were reportedly suppressed and new memories implanted. She was discovered on Stardate: 65045 following an investigation led by Kai Kira and Councillor Garak, then Prime Councillor of the Detapa Council. After several years of rehabilitation, she chose to pursue a political career following in her father’s footsteps.”

Ryan nods slowly, taking everything in. “What about Garak?”

“Councillor Elim Garak was, according to Starfleet Intelligence, an agent of the Obsidian Order, which he denied up until 2371. He was discharged from the Order prior to the Cardassian Evacuation from Bajor and was exiled from Cardassia. The reasons for this remain unclear. During his time in exile, he worked as a tailor on Deep Space Nine, as well as an occasional advisor to station personnel on Cardassian matters. During the Dominion War, he served the Federation by decoding Cardassian transmissions, before joining the Cardassian Resistance as part of a Federation advisory team. Following the war, he joined the newly-formed Detapa Council, being re-elected an unprecedented 9 times and serving as Prime Councillor twice. He’s credited as playing an instrumental role in Cardassia’s reconstruction and has been present at almost every major negotiation with the Federation, as well as making several state visits to Bajor.”

“Espionage and Politics being linked? Colour me shocked.” Ryan muses sarcastically.

“Sir?” Alpha tilts his head, confused.

Ryan shakes his head, grinning, “Nevermind.”

“Shocked is not a colour.”

“I know, Alpha. It’s a figurative speech.”

“Ah, and the intention was sarcastic. I understand.”

“Exactly.”

“To ‘colour you shocked’ would be to imagine you with a shocked facial expression, even though this was not the case.”

“Right.”

“Thus the statement was intended to highlight the fact that you were, in fact, not shocked. And so—“

“Yes! Alpha, out of curiosity, do you have a mute setting?”

Alpha processes the question, “I do not believe so, sir. Is that an oversight in my design?”

“No, just thought I’d check.” Ryan shakes his head before patting Alpha on the shoulder as he walks back over to the Command Chair, grinning in bemusement.

In his Guest Quarters, Plain, Simple Garak is sitting in an armchair, head leaned back as a soft melody of Cardassian string music plays over the speakers. He gently leans forward, gazing at his PADD, flicking his finger across to change pages every few moments. He then hears a rough chiming from a flat cylindrical device he’d left on the coffee table. The device has a platinum colour with a brushed-metal finish as well as a ring of pulsating yellow light. He reaches over, pressing his fingers to three buttons placed at equidistance along the circumference as a yellow light is projected from a small emitter on top. Garak’s eyes widen slightly as he leans back, smiling. “Well, isn’t this a surprise?”

“Hello, old friend”, an aged feminine voice fills the room, “I need a favour. And it’s not hemming my trousers.”
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Chapter Four: Angel’s Advocate.

Stardate: 87976.9. True Way Detention Camp.

Ryan sits in his dark, damp cell, listening to the hum of the forcefield keeping him from breaking his captors’ collective scaled necks. The cell wasn’t damp when he was thrown inside. In fact, Ryan was only too familiar with the source of it. The cell was hot, humid and was doing him no favours in terms of forgetting his hygienic situation. “At least that’s something. Maybe I’ll die of influenza before they can shoot me.” He shuffles uncomfortably before the doors slide open, the lights slowly increasing in brightness as Ryan squints, seeing two figures walking up to the forcefield. As his eyes adapt to the light, he immediately recognises one of them – Gul Kutar, who is carrying a duffel bag. His companion appears to be a more aged Cardassian, with his hair a silver sleek from high on his forehead moving down behind his head and down to his neck. Kutar drops the forcefield as he throws the duffel bag inside. “Get dressed, Commander. This is Kutari Selek...” the elder Cardassian nods as Kutar continues, “...your Advocate.”

Ryan sits in a new cell, now wearing a pair of trousers and a black vest as Kutari Selek sits beside him. “I understand your mistrust, but believe me when I say I am not True Way.”

“Then what are you?” Ryan’s voice is dry and raspy, as he does not look Kutari in the eye.

Kutari takes a flask from his hip, taking a small drink from it before wiping the cap with his sleeve. “I’m a senior advocate with the Cardassian Judiciary Authority. In your terminology, a lawyer. I’m also a friend.” He passes the flask to Ryan, who looks at it and accepts it. “Take as much as you need. The True Way abducted me two days ago because I have experience with the old advocacy system and they wanted someone to play a role.”

“And I take it they promised to let you go if you agreed?” Ryan takes a long series of gulps from the flask, coughing a little as he hands it back.

“I didn’t have a choice in leaving, young man. Since I was already here, what point was there in refusing?” He leans forward slightly. “I have no love for this system or these bandits and I could never face my family again if I carried out this farce. I will represent you.” He puts a hand on Ryan’s shoulder. “But as an Advocate of the modern Cardassia. Now, tell me what happened, from the beginning.”

Stardate: 87964.6. U.S.S. Victorious.

Ryan is in a meeting with the two Cardassian Ambassadors, a tray of painkillers resting on the desk next to a cup of tea – now cold. “You want permission from Starfleet to not only breach the 100-ship limit, but to bring a Hutet-Class Dreadnought into service?” Ryan looks across at Garak, who is giving him his classic smile. Far from being unsettling, it’s now starting to irritate Ryan.

“The Alpha Jem’Hadar are providing the support of their dreadnoughts to the True Way. We have no way of countering that.” Ilyana interjects before Garak responds, continuing, “Besides, the True Way outnumber the Cardassian Defence Force’s Fleet almost 2-to-1. If Starfleet wants us to deal with the True Way, then don’t handicap us.”

“Did it occur to you that the True Way could potentially capture this Dreadnought? If that happened, the True Way would stop being a nuisance on the border – they’d make the Maquis look less like a terror group and more like a mosquito in comparison!” Ryan shakes his head as he taps on the PADD. “But, I was never a fan of Versailles, so...” He slides the PADD over to the pair, “How does that look?”

Garak’s face, to Ryan’s satisfaction, breaks its stoic image into a look of immense gratitude, “300 ships, with Starfleet’s assistance for upgrading technology?”

“And you’ll get your dreadnought, but all your ships will need a Federation liaison, and you’re only getting defensive upgrades. They’d have my head if I risked Federation state-of-the-art weapons falling into the hands of the True Way.”

Ilyana nods, smiling, “Thank you, Commander!”

“Don’t thank me yet, we still have 18 clauses to go through. Now, regarding weapons research--”

Before he can finish, the yellow alert chime goes off as the ship shudders. Suddenly, half a dozen Cardassian figures materialise around them as Ryan leaps over the table, tackling into two of them, crying out to his two guests, “Get down!” He pulls out his phaser as he quickly fires at another pair of Cardassians, killing one as the orange beam sends him slamming against the wall while the other is clipped in the shoulder. Quickly, Tala charges into the room and with lightning reflexes pulls Ryan out of the way as a yellow Cardassian beam brushes by, before killing the last two boarders opposite them.

The ship continues to shake as the group hears weapons fire outside impact against the hull, before Ryan ushers the two Councillors toward Tala. “Get these two to the secure section, then get to the Bridge!”

“Aye, sir!” Tala helps Ilyana out before Ryan looks out of the corner of his eye, seeing the clipped Cardassian aim some kind of pistol at Garak.

“For... Cardassia...!” Ryan quickly shoves Garak out of the way as Garak pulls out a Cardassian phaser pistol from his outfit, firing it into the attacker.

“I’m afraid not.” Garak looks back to see that the attacker’s shot has impacted against Ryan as a small metal pellet latches onto him, before he is beamed out.

“Captain!” Tala taps her combadge in a controlled panic. “Tr’zanac to Bridge, they have the Captain! He’s gone!”
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm really liking the way this is shaping up, Ryan. A couple of minor typos, but this is good. Do continue.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Looks interesting.

Definitely looking forward to more.
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll get another chapter out later today.

I was a little worried about how I was portraying Garak - I was worried I wasn't being true to his character. Do you guys think it's alright?
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ryan218 wrote: »

I was a little worried about how I was portraying Garak - I was worried I wasn't being true to his character. Do you guys think it's alright?

I'd say you've got him fairly well :cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Garak seems well in line - still enjoying this. Wondering what the True Way's game is.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Chapter Five: First Responders

U.S.S. Oxford, McCallister C-5 Nebula, 10 minutes following the attack on the U.S.S. Victorious.

Commander Marilla Saph, known to her friends as simply ‘Daya’, the word for Sapphire among the indigenous population of the mining colony she was born on, steps onto the bridge of the Nebula-Class Starship, nodding to a pair of astrophysicists as they depart from the aft science stations. Before she reaches her seat, her First Officer, Lieutenant Commander Richard Harrison, intercepts her from the Ops Station, “Captain.”

The Trill captain smiles softly at him, before gesturing to the two command seats in the centre of the bridge. “What is it, Commander?”

“We’ve picked up a Priority 3 Distress Call on the Starfleet Military Emergency Channel, Code 2.” Harrison opts to remain standing as Daya relaxes in her chair, though her expression narrows into concern at the news.

“Sound yellow alert. If it’s a True Way raiding party, it won’t be long ‘til they head our way. Are there any other ships in the area?” Harrison simply shakes his head. “Of course there aren’t, that’s our usual luck. Set a course. Which ship is it?”

“It’s the Victorious, captain. She was attacked in warp by a flight of True Way Hideki-Class Attack Craft and a single Galor. They shorted out her shields with a tachyon burst while they were down and bought them down to sublight before boarding.”

“Are they still under attack?”

“No, but her warp drive is damaged and they haven’t finished repairs to her shields.”

“Alright, helm, engage at warp 8 as soon as we clear the nebula. Mr Kornan, signal the Victorious and let them know we’re on our way.” Daya now stands up, looking out at the swirls of blue and violet gases, watching the crash of energy discharges batter the ship’s shields.

“Captain, there’s something else.” Harrison passes her a PADD, which she quickly inspects. “Commander Allington has been abducted.”

Daya snaps to look at him, before exhaling deeply to bring herself back under control, swallowing before tapping the inter-comm on the arm of her command chair. “Saph to Engineering, divert power to the impulse engines. I want warp capability as soon as possible. Helm, the second we clear the nebula, punch it.”

6 hours later, the Oxford arrives at the Victorious’ position, seeing the Ambassador-Class Starship bruised and battered with carbon scores along the saucer section and warp nacelles, though fortunately her hull is still uncompromised. As the Science Vessel comes alongside the Heavy Cruiser, both ships seem to glisten against the backdrop of stars and nebulae that are common across this region of space.

On the Victorious, Carter and Tala are waiting in the transporter room before Lieutenant Dannover walks in, her uniform covered with specks of dirt and grime, as the jacket hangs off her shoulders. “The port warp drive will be back on-line by 1800, but the starboard drive needs a complete overhaul at a Starbase. We can get it functional, but don’t ask for warp 4 endurance trips.”

Carter sighs, “What about shields?”

“Ensign Hal’dor reports that the shields should be at least working by 2200.”

“Can’t your people work faster?”

“Commander--!” Dannover stops herself, before exhaling. “Alright, imagine the shield system as an irrigation network, with the generator as the water source. Tachyons act like stones thrown into the channels – they block or disrupt the flow – which, before you ask, I can’t reverse. Now imagine that the main channel from the source is filled with stones. The problem isn’t that the system can’t generate a shield – the generator can’t supply the shield emitters, end of. Hal’dor is having to take the shield generator apart, purge every last component of tachyon particles – which is dangerous in of itself – and put it back together again. Even then, the shields are never going to reach full output until we have the entire system purged at spacedock.”

“I get the picture. Any way you can speed things up?”

Dannover looks at Tala, who rolls her eyes slightly. “Maybe you misunderstood, commander, but we’re talking about completely rebuilding a device with over 1500 separate components, not including the isolinear control chips, while trying to jumpstart one of the most powerful warp engines in the fleet.”

“So that’s a no.”

“That’s a no.”

“Sirs...” the transporter chief is tapping away at his console before turning to the three senior officers, “Commander Saph is ready to beam aboard.”

The three step over into a line before the pad, with Carter in the centre as Daya materialises, along with 5 engineers, including a Bolian lieutenant. Daya steps off the pad and shakes all three officer’s hands as Carter makes introductions – the Commander had only been on the ship briefly following an incident with the Lore android several months before. After introductions, Daya gestures to the Bolian lieutenant. “This is Lieutenant Sochi Brax, my Chief Engineer. I figured you could use some extra hands.”

“Put it this way, I’m not about to object.” Dannover nods to Brax, who returns in kind. “With your permission, sir, I’ll show them to Engineering.”

“Of course.” Carter nods in affirmation before Dannover leads the Engineering Team out of the transporter room. He then turns to Daya, “We’ve picked up an ion trail which might be from one of the Cardassian attackers, but we have no idea which ship it’s from.”

Daya looks at him in thought before musing that “It’s better than nothing.” She then requests “Transfer the data to my helmsman and we’ll give it a lock. It’s been 6 hours, they can’t have gotten far. Hidekis can only manage warp 7 at cruising.”

“There’s just one problem – they ran across the border, and the Cardassian Central Command hasn’t gotten back to me on my request for access.”

“Don’t you have two Cardassian Councillors onboard?”

“I’ve already tried. They can’t act without a majority decision from the rest of the Detapa Council and we don’t have time.”

“Have you tried Deep Space 9?”

“Yes. Captain Kurland’s headed our way with the Defiant, but realistically it’ll be 2 days before he arrives.”

“We’ll have lost the scent by then...” Daya leans against the transporter console thoughtfully, before looking at Carter with a newfound determination. “Who’s in charge of the Cardassian dignitaries?”

“Councillor Garak and Councillor Ghemor have both taken leading roles in the negotiations.”

“Let me rephrase that; whose skull do I need to whack over with a stick to get military access?”

Carter takes a moment to process this outburst. “Garak.”

“Then I think it’s time for introductions.” Daya heads out the door, Carter standing in the transporter room, jaw dropped.

“If the Captain hadn’t already taken her...” Carter shakes his head and marches after her. “You realise you’re probably about to break at least a dozen diplomatic protocols?”

“Yup. Got a problem with that?”

“Three. Firstly, you’re not in command here.”

“I outrank you.”

“True, but this isn’t your ship, and regulations are sketchy as to whether a superior officer can assume command of a different vessel below Captain grade, which you aren’t, sir.”

“Are you interpreting regulations for me, Lieutenant Commander?”

“Secondly, as Commander Allington’s First Officer, I immediately assumed his duties upon his abduction, including his diplomatic mission. Superior or not, you can’t usurp those orders. I have final say as to whether or not you speak to those two.”

“Accepted.”

“Finally, you are acting extremely out-of-character, and if your intention is to assume command of the situation here as commodore, then I inherit XO responsibilities as the second vessel’s highest ranking officer.”

“Your point?”

“This; as First Officer, it is my duty to inform you if I believe you are acting irrationally.”

“Noted.” Daya stops and turns in place. “But for the record, I haven’t taken command yet!”

Carter takes in a deep breath, relaxing his posture. “Then as a fellow Starfleet Officer...” Daya nods in deference, “let me say that it is my belief you are allowing your emotions for Commander Allington to cloud your judgement!” The two stare at each other as a pair of crewmen pass by, stopping to watch the scene before Carter looks at them, “You two got work?”

“Y-Yes sir.”

“Then get to it.”

As the two crewmen depart, the tension falls markedly, with Daya sighing, shrugging as she brushes a strand of hair behind her ear. “You’re right...” She smiles uncomfortably. “This is his ship, not mine, and you’re his XO. The call is yours. The mission’s yours.”

“And...?”

Daya sighs again, “And I promise I won’t hit Councillor Garak over the head with a stick.”

Carter smiles, nodding in approval before gesturing ahead. “Good enough for me, but maybe you should get some intel on who you’re dealing with first? I know an android who’s an excellent tutor.”

“By all means, lead the way – Captain.”
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    The mental image of Daya beating Garak with a stick made me LOL.

Curious about something: the ending of Daya and Ryan's last appearance (I think it was LC66) was a little ambiguous. Are they officially a couple now?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited June 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    The mental image of Daya beating Garak with a stick made me LOL.

Curious about something: the ending of Daya and Ryan's last appearance (I think it was LC66) was a little ambiguous. Are they officially a couple now?

I may have taken some inspiration from Ivanova... :P

To answer your question, yes. At least, as officially a couple as two separate COs can be. Out of curiosity, what did you think of Carter and Daya's little argument?
  • Options
    edited June 2015

To answer your question, yes. At least, as officially a couple as two separate COs can be. Out of curiosity, what did you think of Carter and Daya's little argument?

Held together nicely as an exploration of the tangles the chain of command can get into when you're out in the field. You're pretty much right AFAIK: ordinarily seniority goes by rank, then date of promotion (TRIBBLE your "tactically powerful ship" nonsense, VOY), but as you noted, there's a wrinkle in that the CO, or in this case acting CO, of the ship is for all intents and purposes God when he's aboard. So yes, as long as he's on his own deck, Carter has positional authority overriding Daya's superior rank, and was perfectly within his rights to politely but firmly remind her of it. I really liked that scene.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited June 2015

Interesting scene - probably the best for Daya she didn't try to assume command since they'd have to immediately move for her to be relieved.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Chapter Six: The Cardassian Con

Two hours later, the two enter Garak’s Quarters, reminding him of the incident 8 hours prior to which he had borne witness. “Yes, a shame about that. You have my sympathies.” He keeps up his smug yet enigmatic expression even now.

“Well, I’m hoping to get a lot more than that.” Daya steps forward slightly, assertively, as Carter facepalms, to which Daya turns and responds with, “Too much?”

“You didn’t exactly do well in the diplomacy course at the academy, did you?” Carter looks up at her.

“I didn’t pursue command until Quinn drafted me into the chair after Vega – I trained as a geophysicist

“Excuse me...” Garak interjects, still smiling, “would you two mind bickering on your own time? I believe you were asking me something.”

“Right.” Daya refocuses on Garak. “We took the liberty of looking through your intelligence file, and we discovered that you used to be a member of the old Obsidian Order before the end of the Bajoran Occupation.”

Garak laughs in an amused manner, “Oh, really now, does Starfleet still propagate that happy little fantasy of theirs? I was but a simple tailor.”

“Who just so happened to know top secret Cardassian Military Codes?” Carter ask rhetorically, folding his arms.

“It’s amazing the things you learn hemming trousers.”

“Drop the act.” Carter unfolds his arms. “You have backdoor connections in the CDF - connections which could significantly expedite the process of getting military access from the Central Command.”

“Possibly, but what could you offer me in exchange for calling in such a favour – assuming I have any?”

Carter smirks as he pulls out a red PADD. “As you know, when the captain was taken, I inherited all his responsibilities, including his diplomatic assignment. This PADD is the complete manifest of all the treaty amendments he made so far.” Carter taps a few controls, turning the PADD so Garak can see the pop-up. “What’s the Cardassian word for ‘delete’?”

“Carter...” Daya looks at him nervously.

“Now, true enough, I’ll probably get thrown out of the service for this, but without Allington the Diplomatic Corps will have to send an envoy to negotiate who will probably take a harder stand in negotiations with your people. So, your choice; do you want everything Commander Allington worked for to die with him, or are you going to help us?”

Garak stares at him for a moment, before his smile widens into a full grin. “Well, I don’t have much choice now, do I?”

“I’m glad we could come to an understanding. Councillor.” Carter and Daya leave the room, with Daya whistling.

“You were bluffing.”

“Hell yeah. I’d sooner spark a diplomatic incident by violating the border than actually erase the Captain’s work, and our mission with it! I backed up the treaty amendments to a second PADD.”

“He knew.” Daya smiles at him. “My last host was an ambassador. He pulled stunts like that a lot – enough that he could tell whenever someone was able to see his bluff. As for the Councillor, it was written all over his smug little face.”

“You know, I think I see why the Captain likes you.”

“We’ve both seen a lot. Commander.” Daya continues on ahead, Carter shaking his head.

“I’ll bet you have...” He mutters under his breath as she leaves earshot.

An hour later, Dannover walks onto the phaser range, where Carter is also practising, taking a training phaser from the pedestal and quickly taking aim, firing quickly at several of the target holograms, cursing as she misses one, prompting Carter to turn to her. “Repairs that bad?”

“Put it this way, shield won’t be back by 2200!” She grunts in frustration as she misses another target. “When we removed the casing, we found the True Way hit the main deflector hard enough to send a feedback pulse into the defence shield generator! The nadion radiation has completely degraded a lot of the protective radiation shielding which protects the generator’s components from damage! Combine that with the fact the same pulse disrupted the navigational deflector field, meaning the tachyons came in at their natural speed – lightspeed – and those stones I was talking about become meteorites!”

“So the shield’s fragged?”

“Oh but I’m not done yet! The pulse also travelled along the shield power grid. Now, the conduits themselves are fine, but the surge overloaded the resisters and has completely wrecked 50 of the emitters! Even if we get the generator running, I need 3 days to repair the damage to the aft shield grid!”

“You’re doing the best you can.”

“Yeah, well it’s not good enough, is it?!” She hits another target, before Carter puts a hand on her shoulder.

“Dannover—do you mind if I call you Elizabeth?”

“If we’re dropping ranks...”

Carter nods, “Elizabeth, the captain isn’t the only one who’s taken notice of you. So have I. I deeply respect and appreciate your diligence, determination and your expertise. Not to mention your ingenuity.”

“Flattery will get you everywhere.” Carter responds with a smile, before Dannover adds, “Not there.”

“I wasn’t thinking that! My point is, you are by far the best engineer I have ever served with. Hell, you may just be the best engineer in the whole damn fleet! But even you can’t solve every problem just like that.” He snaps his fingers for emphasis. “You’re only humanoid. We have limits. Getting angry with yourself isn’t going to help. We’re all under a lot of stress right now, but if the captain were here right now, he’d want us to get on with our jobs no matter what.”

Dannover nods. “Alright... Permission to return to my quarters?”

“I’ll do you one better. 5 hours sleep, minimum. I need you fresh.”

Dannover gives a half-comical salute. “Aye, aye, skipper!”

Carter smiles, “Dismissed, Lieutenant.” Carter watches as Dannover leaves, before turning around and getting back to his target practice. “I really didn’t mean there.”

Before he can fire again, there’s a boson whistle over the comm as Alpha makes an announcement, “Lieutenant Commander Carter to the Bridge. Repeat, Lieutenant Commander Carter to the Bridge.”

Carter sighs, before replacing his phaser and heading out of the room.

10 minutes later, Carter is on the Bridge as Alpha is speaking with a Cardassian Legate on the viewscreen. “I am afraid the situation is urgent, sir.”

“We are not prepared to risk further True Way attacks on our citizens because your Captain allowed himself to be captured!” The legate seems impatient and frustrated, as though Alpha has been tying him up for the last 10 minutes.

Carter steps forward as Alpha steps to the side, “Our Captain was captured protecting your councillors, Legate!”

“Who are you?!”

“Lieutenant Commander Michael Carter. Commander Allington’s First Officer.”

“They sent a Commander to negotiate directly with members of our government? No wonder you were ambushed so easily!”

Carter feels his teeth grind together before a voice thunders across the Bridge, “Legate Kraish Daras!”

The Legate seems to swallow his half-digested lunch as he almost chokes, “Councillor Garak!”

“How’s the daughter?” Garak walks past the Tactical Station and to the centre of the Bridge.

“She’s doing well. She starts at Lukarian University to—“

“No, not little Karima, the other one. The one you had rather indiscreetly with your secretary.”

“How do you--?”

“I know a great deal more than that! Now, I believe you were about to refuse entry to the vessel who’s captain saved my life?”

“I...”

“You were going to grant the U.S.S. Victorious and U.S.S. Oxford full access to Cardassian Space, plus a full escort and cooperate fully with our search for Commander Allington?”

“Y-Yes. Of course, Councillor.”

Garak smiles with his signature grin before stating nonchalantly, “I’m glad we’ve come to an understanding.”

The Legate quickly disconnects, before Carter turns to Garak, “Thank you, Councillor.”

“Oh, it was nothing. You hear a great deal when mending uniforms.”

“Of course.” Carter turns to Heja Kalynn at helm. “Heja, set course to follow that ion trail.”

“Aye, sir.” The young Bajoran starts tapping controls as she lays in the course.

“Tala, signal the Oxford.”

“Understood.” Tala quickly notifies the Oxford of access.

“Bridge to Engineering.”

“Dannover here.” Dannover is in Engineering, standing by the Master Systems Display with her Team Leaders.

“I need warp power. When can we get warp 4?”

“I can give you warp 6 in 2 hours. Warp 4 is good to go.” Dannover smiles to her team before looking back at the display. “Shields will be ready in 5 hours, but I still can’t give you aft shields.”

“Understood. Can you polarise the hull plating?”

“Do you have any idea--?!” She stops, tracing her fingers along the system chart. “Yes, I can! Give me 3 hours!”

“You have 2. Bridge out.”

“Alright people, I need two teams to bypass the navigation shields into the aft hull maglocks. Jackson, T’jon, that’s you. Harper, you need to keep working on the starboard nacelle. You’ll be working on the move, so take EV Suits and work in 15-minute bursts. Hal’dor, I hate to split your attention, but I need you to modify the deflector to give a much tighter field on the aft sections to help Jackson and T’jon out. Let’s go!”

The team leaders quickly move out to their assigned jobs, tapping their combadges to contact their teams as the leave while Dannover monitors the ship’s systems, listening as the pulses of the warp core increase in frequency as the ship hums to life before it jumps into warp.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    Held together nicely as an exploration of the tangles the chain of command can get into when you're out in the field. You're pretty much right AFAIK: ordinarily seniority goes by rank, then date of promotion (TRIBBLE your "tactically powerful ship" nonsense, VOY), but as you noted, there's a wrinkle in that the CO, or in this case acting CO, of the ship is for all intents and purposes God when he's aboard. So yes, as long as he's on his own deck, Carter has positional authority overriding Daya's superior rank, and was perfectly within his rights to politely but firmly remind her of it. I really liked that scene.

Technically, I can see where she's coming from. She has a case for taking tactical command of the situation - she's the most senior officer and the Oxford is the most tactically sound starship (with the Victorious being almost defenceless at the time), but you're right in that she'd be walking into a legal minefield if she attempted to take command of the Victorious, and since an Admiral can command a mission without commanding the ship, it makes sense that she can't overrule Carter in terms of the diplomatic mission since he inherited command of that mission when Ryan was taken, not to mention she can't go nuts on Carter's time, since superior or not, Carter is in command of the ship.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Garak is, and remains, very scary. Lot of very understandable brinkmanship was sort of the theme of the chapter, though. :P

• Options
    edited June 2015
    WARNING: This chapter contains instances of severe (though non-graphic) violence which may be unsuitable for young ages, including up to 16-years old.
    Chapter Seven: The Trial Begins.

Stardate:87977.1. True Way Detention Camp.

Ryan and Kutari are escorted by a quartet of armed guards into a large room, with a podium at the end looking down upon two desks spaced about 20 metres apart with metal chairs behind them. They are then taken to the desk on their left, before one of the guards commands them to sit. After a few moments, a second group walks in, one figure wandering over to the second desk while another – Gul Kutar – sits down at a seat on the podium. “This tribunal is now in session.” He slams a wooden hammer down onto the desk of the podium, before beginning again. “If the criminal would stand and confirm his name...” Ryan looks at Kutari for a moment, before seemingly ignoring Kutar’s command. “Guards.”

The guards pull Ryan onto his feet, hitting him in the base of the spine with the stock of their phaser rifles when he resists, prompting an intense yell of agonising pain.

“If you continue to defy the order of this tribunal, the punishment will be repeated, one vertebrae at a time. Should you defy the court enough times that we run out of vertebrae, we will begin again from the top.”

“I don’t recognise your address!” Ryan yells out, both in agony and in fury. “I have not been charged! Nor have I yet been established as a ‘criminal’ in a court of law!”

“The True Way has already analysed the evidence against you and confirmed your guilt, Human. All that remains is to reveal the circumstances of your crime and how justice has been achieved. You will now confirm your identity.”

Ryan spits onto the floor “Go to Hell!”

This warrants him a second beating, this time one vertebrae down as a howl of pain fills the room as Kutari stands. “Objection, Magistrate! The beating of a prisoner of war is strictly against the Seldonis Conventions!”

“Retake your seat, Advocate Selek.” Kutar leans forward. “I remind you that the legitimate court of the True way does not recognise the Detapa Council’s legal system, nor the Seldonis Conventions.” Kutar returns his attention to Ryan. “Seat the prisoner.” The guards return Ryan to his seat, as he groggily attempts to regain focus. “As the prisoner will not comply and confirm his identity, we will assume the following is correct. Name: Ryan George Terrence Allington. Species: Human. Origin: Earth. You are a member of the military organisation known as Starfleet, an agency of the United Federation of Planets. Rank: Commander.”

“Sounds about right...” Ryan slowly glares at Kutar as a guard goes to strike him with his rifle again, before Kutar raises his hand.

“I will allow your insolence to go unpunished this time, but if you continue, you will be acting in contempt.”

“Funny, that was the idea...”

Kutar seems to ignore this, moving on. “You have been found guilty of harbouring war criminals from the True Cardassian government, conspiring with enemies of the state and of being complicit in the deaths of 1500 military personnel as a result of the actions of your crew.”

“Objection!” Kutari stands again. “This man can hardly be held responsible for the actions of his crew following his incarceration!”

“Sit down, Selek!” A guard forces Selek back into his seat. “I will not remind you again of the rules of this tribunal. Commander Allington, you will from this moment on only be allowed to speak in response to the questions posed by the state or your advocate. Do you understand?” Ryan remains silent, before Kutar nods to the guards, who pull him up and strike him again, prompting yet another howl of pain as Ryan crumples to the floor. “Do you understand?!” Ryan remains silent again, and Kutar nods to the guards. “Again!” Another howl as the strike reverberates through the room, with Kutari closing his eyes as he looks away.

2 days earlier, U.S.S. Victorious.

Carter is pacing on the Bridge as Alpha and Heja focus on their stations. Tala is scanning the area from her console, before glancing up and looking at Carter. There are small sacks of slightly darkened skin hanging around his eyes and his lips are drier than normal. “Sir? You’ve been awake for 36 hours straight. Maybe you should take a break.”

“Thank you, lieutenant, I’ll take that under advisement. Anything on sensors?” Carter turns to look at her.

“The ion trail is getting stronger and larger. It looks like our ship rendezvoused with a larger squadron. The Oxford’s analysing it now.”

“What about Darnas’ ships?”

“He’s already confirmed that there were two Hidekis and a Galor here. Sounds like the flotilla that attacked us.”

“Where’s the trail headed?”

“It’s headed for a Red Supergiant Solar System – Harmony-22R. At least, according to the Earth catalogue. The Cardassians reported it as Nakala.”

“Anything there, Alpha?”

“Negative.” Alpha taps his screen, bringing the stellar cartographs for the system on his console. “There are only two planets, both too cold to support humanoid life.”

“I doubt they’d make a pit stop at a supergiant.”

“Indeed sir. There is no hydrogen in the vicinity of the star for their Bussard Collectors to retrieve.”

Tala furrows her brow before looking at her screen and doing another scan. “Heja, do you recognise these readings?”

The Bajoran looks at her screen, looking over Tala’s data before Carter continues. “So the question becomes why they would—“

“Phekk’ta!” The Bajoran exclaim as she hits her head with her palm.

“Ensign?”

“It’s Edon’s Sling!”

“Eden’s what?”

“Edon’s Sling.” Tala reiterates. “During the Bajoran Occupation, the Resistance would send ships into Cardassian Space to gather fuel for their sublight attack vessels on Derna.”

“If they were caught, they’d head for the nearest high-density star, dropping out of warp at the last second so they accelerated around the star before Cardassian sensors picked up their deceleration, slingshotting around the star and clear of pursuing ships!” Heja turns in her seat. “Even if the Cardassians realised what was happening before the ships lost sensor contact, they wouldn’t be able to turn around in time and the interference and gravitational forces generated by the star scatters the ion field.”

Carter turns to her, looking at her in disbelief. “Are you telling me we’ve lost them?”

“We may still be able to pick up a new ion trail from their departure, but we’ll need to search the circumference of the entire system, and that could take days.”

“We don’t have days!” Carter snaps.

“I know, sir...” Heja’s voice falls quiet from anxiety.

Carter looks around, seeing somewhat startled expressions from the rest of the bridge staff, except Alpha – who tilts his head in curiosity – and Tala – who gives Carter a look which expresses ‘See what I mean?’ Carter sighs, nodding at Tala and putting a hand on the young Bajoran’s shoulder. “Sorry, ensign.” He paces around again, before his head perks up in realisation. “Heja, do you know how to perform Eden’s Sling?”

“Edon.” Heja corrects him.

“Right, sorry. Can you?”

“Sure... I mean, it’s no more difficult than Titan’s turn.” She blinks before clearing her throat. “Not that I would know how to perform such a dangerous and illicit manoeuvre.”

“If you followed the Cardassians’ ion trail, would you be able to follow out along the same vector?”

“We have a similar mass to a Galor-Class starship, but there’ll be a deviation. Even so... if we can even get close to their escape trajectory, it’ll make finding the new trail a lot easier.”

“Make it so.”

Alpha turns to look at him. “Commander, at that distance, without aft shields—“

“We won’t be in close proximity long enough for it to get through the reinforced deflector, sir.” Heja remarks, turning back to her console.

“Good enough for me.” Carter pats her on the shoulder before walking back to the centre seat. “Sound Yellow Alert! Shields up!” The Yellow Alert Klaxon chimes across the ship as Tala raises the shields.

“Shields are raised.” Tala calls out from behind her console as status reports come in from across the ship. “All stations acknowledge Yellow Alert, sir. Oxford and Damar report they’re ready to wait here for until we find the ion trail.”

“Alright.” Carter sits down, looking at Heja. “Are we ready?”

“Yes, sir.” Heja finalises her course corrections.

“Very well. Engage.”

Heja taps the execution key before the warp engines spur into life, propelling the ship into Warp 3 – any faster and the relativistic stresses of the star’s gravity will cause subspace friction and destabilise the warp field. The ship rockets towards the star, the temperature climbing rapidly as the red glow of the orb of plasma reflects against the hull, before the Victorious jumps to sublight at the closest approach, the star’s gravity pulling it around at colossal speed as the shields begin to react against the thermal pressures and the intense radiation. As the ship begins to break away from the star, Heja kicks the ship back into warp, dropping out again once they get to a safe distance, to a loud applause from the bridge crew.

Carter stands from his station, patting Heja on the shoulder and praising her. “Nicely done, Ensign! Station Four, start scanning for an ion trail!”

A tech sounds off from across the bridge. “Aye, sir!” After a minute or so, he turns back. “I’ve got something! Relaying it to Ops.”

“Confirmed.” Alpha starts analysing the readings. “It matches the trail we followed into the system by 87%.”

“Gotcha, you sons of...!” Carter fist pumps discreetly before looking at Heja. “Follow it. Tala, tell the others. We’ve picked up the scent!”

“With pleasure.” Tala taps behind her console and the other ships in their battle group begin to intercept.

“Course laid in. Shall I engage at Warp 4?” Heja begins to tap in the warp factor.

“Make it so!” Carter heads back to his seat. “Hit it!”

Author Notes:

We're not far from the climax now. I hope you're all excited, because this has been one hell of an experience for me. This story is so different to anything I've considered writing before.
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Ahh, good old fashioned Cardassian Hospitality :cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yes, truly the government the Cardassians are eager to see return, there.

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yes, truly the government the Cardassians are eager to see return, there.

The Advocate certainly seems to despise the True Way and the old system. I hope to see him freed as well as Allington. He kind of reminds me of Colonel Worf, who knew very well he was dealing with a sham trial but refused to be compliant with the state in the face of what was going on.

Yours is a very different vision of the relationship between Cardassia and the Federation than what I have with the 77th Fleet (a long-term garrisoned fleet that has gone a bit native over time and moves in joint operations with the CDF), which puts the new Union in a VERY precarious situation, but I look forward to seeing how everyone manages to salvage this situation, not to mention the freedom of all Cardassia, with such limited resources.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    The Advocate certainly seems to despise the True Way and the old system. I hope to see him freed as well as Allington. He kind of reminds me of Colonel Worf, who knew very well he was dealing with a sham trial but refused to be compliant with the state in the face of what was going on.

Yours is a very different vision of the relationship between Cardassia and the Federation than what I have with the 77th Fleet (a long-term garrisoned fleet that has gone a bit native over time and moves in joint operations with the CDF), which puts the new Union in a VERY precarious situation, but I look forward to seeing how everyone manages to salvage this situation, not to mention the freedom of all Cardassia, with such limited resources.

Thanks! I can't remember which chapter, but I think the Path to 2409 mentions something about the Treaty of Bajor imposing strict sanctions on the Cardassians (e,g, forbidden to conduct weapons research, only allowed X number of ships, etc.) so that's where the limits come from. It makes sense that if the Alliance restricted the number of Cardassia's Navy, that they would forbid Cardassia from fielding Dreadnoughts. It also conveniently explains why the Cardassians are still using the same ship designs after 40 years (and most were obsolete even then).

I always got a Versailles feel from the restrictions the Treaty of Bajor put on Cardassia (after they'd just been bombed into the stone age by the Dominion), and given the existance of the True Way, my take on the Union is very analogous to the situation of Weimar Germany immediately after 1919.

But that's another discussion entirely. :P
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yep, you're right about the Path to 2409. I think the difference is where you thought Versailles, I went Marshall Plan, with some modern terrorist insurgent warfare added in. I have the restrictions on the CDF too, though I took more of a post-WWII Japan/Germany approach, hence the active Federation aid and the garrisoned Starfleet forces supplementing the CDF (heck, even though it is technically JUST on the Fed side of the border, you could even think of my fleet base, 75-Tau, as Okinawa, or Wiesbaden).

I am a bit more generous to the Galor, and I have it in my head kind of like the C-130, the classic airframe from the 1950's that can be fit for a wide variety of missions, and just keeps getting upgraded because the original design still *works.* The idea of multiple Galor models existing, similar to the C-130, is my headcanon rationalization for the wide variety of bridge designs seen onscreen for the same class of starship, plus the obvious disparities between the abilities of the Galors seen in "The Wounded" and those later seen holding their own in the Dominion War.

Of course, based strictly on in-game and screen-canon evidence, both our conjectures are equally valid, and I enjoy seeing your world building. :) I would think it places your Cardassia in a weaker geopolitical situation, and it will be interesting to see how that affects the Cardassian leadership. I think we are already seeing some of that in Garak's covert behavior, since Ghemor seems to show a Detapa Council that is reluctant about its exercise of power, and perhaps not simply for ideological reasons. Mine would have acted more decisively--but then I suspect force levels with the combined CDF/77th are at least double that available in your universe, with the ability to bring in forces from the Bajor fleet as backup if required. So IMO the difference in response is logical on your part: your Councillors should indeed be wary of their less protected position.

I did have a question for you: I noticed that Kutari Selek and Gul Kutar have VERY similar names. Is this just a freakish coincidence like what can happen IRL, or is there a reason for it?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yep, you're right about the Path to 2409. I think the difference is where you thought Versailles, I went Marshall Plan, with some modern terrorist insurgent warfare added in. I have the restrictions on the CDF too, though I took more of a post-WWII Japan/Germany approach, hence the active Federation aid and the garrisoned Starfleet forces supplementing the CDF (heck, even though it is technically JUST on the Fed side of the border, you could even think of my fleet base, 75-Tau, as Okinawa, or Wiesbaden).

That said, I am a bit more generous to the Galor, and I have it in my head kind of like the C-130, the classic airframe from the 1950's that can be fit for a wide variety of missions, and just keeps getting upgraded because the original design still *works.* The idea of multiple Galor models existing, similar to the C-130, is my headcanon rationalization for the wide variety of bridge designs seen onscreen for the same class of starship, plus the obvious disparities between the abilities of the Galors seen in "The Wounded" and those later seen holding their own in the Dominion War.

Of course, based strictly on in-game and screen-canon evidence, both our conjectures are equally valid. :)

I did have a question for you: I noticed that Kutari Selek and Gul Kutar have VERY similar names. Is this just a freakish coincidence like what can happen IRL, or is there a reason for it?

Freakishly coincidental. I only realised once I started this chapter! :D
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    TRIBBLE...I was adding on to my response after you quoted it, with some comparative geopolitics. Sorry!

I kinda like the coincidence. It feels more "real," since a lot of movies and books try to avoid that sort of thing to make everybody uber-distinct. If you're good, characterization should be enough, and IMO these two cannot be confused with each other.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    TRIBBLE...I was adding on to my response after you quoted it, with some comparative geopolitics. Sorry!

I kinda like the coincidence. It feels more "real," since a lot of movies and books try to avoid that sort of thing to make everybody uber-distinct. If you're good, characterization should be enough, and these two certainly cannot be confused with each other.

Thanks.

And you're absolutely right with your geo-politics comparison. Here, it has taken the Detapa Council 40 years to rebuild (and as we see in-game, the process is far from complete), contending with both the devastation of their homeworld and colonies and with an insurgency from within. I always felt as though the Union was very much on the brink, similar to Weimar Germany. Hence, the Detapa Council is being very careful about how it approaches negotiations.

Usually, the Federation would have never come tot he table on the Treaty of Bajor without Romulus and Qo'nos also involved, but since the Federation doesn't recognise Sela's Government, and they need the Cardassian's on side and stable to free up ships for the Klingon War, they're effectively saying "We'll set up new limits, so as long as you stick to these amendments, we won't hold you in abeyance." Basically, the Cardassians need the approval of one of the Big Three to breach the Treaty limits and the Federation need the Cardassians on their side. Win-win.

I doubt Sujihara realised at the time just how far Ryan would scale back the limits, though. :P
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I feel like the Feds must have received precedence in the original Treaty negotiations somehow, given that the Romulans and Klingons did not get cuts of Cardassian territory like the Allies did to Germany post-WWII. (I assume they did not since we never see any sort of "Berlin Airlift" mission in-game, while the Klingons are in open warfare with the Feds, and no mention of a Cardassia divided.) I have a headcanon idea why that happened but it can't be proven.

Both our Cardassias have stability issues...mine are more under the surface in some ways, since the debate centers around Federation force withdrawal (though even that is interesting, since they aren't your traditional occupation force--the winning of hearts and minds seems to have been bilateral). Yours seem a bit more abandoned to their own devices. Indeed, very logical for it to be a powderkeg situation. I do wonder if the Klingons would take offense to being cut out of the process again, though, given their contempt for the Cardassian race...they wouldn't dare in my work because of the 77th (not ruling out a Klink victory, but it would cost them compared to your universe), but that seems like a real possibility in yours.

Do you plan to write more stories after this? Watching things play out long-term could be interesting. :)

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I feel like the Feds must have received precedence in the original Treaty negotiations somehow, given that the Romulans and Klingons did not get cuts of Cardassian territory like the Allies did to Germany post-WWII. (I assume they did not since we never see any sort of "Berlin Airlift" mission in-game, while the Klingons are in open warfare with the Feds, and no mention of a Cardassia divided.) I have a headcanon idea why that happened but it can't be proven.

Both our Cardassias have stability issues...mine are more under the surface in some ways, since the debate centers around Federation force withdrawal (though even that is interesting, since they aren't your traditional occupation force--the winning of hearts and minds seems to have been bilateral). Yours seem a bit more abandoned to their own devices. Indeed, very logical for it to be a powderkeg situation. I do wonder if the Klingons would take offense to being cut out of the process again, though, given their contempt for the Cardassian race...they wouldn't dare in my work because of the 77th (not ruling out a Klink victory, but it would cost them compared to your universe), but that seems like a real possibility in yours.

Do you plan to write more stories after this? Watching things play out long-term could be interesting. :)

*Writing down your idea.* I'm sorry, what were you saying? :P

But yes, I will be following this up, probably with a couple of short stories before I start my next big fic (although I think I want to get this one finished first. ;)). And yes, I suspect the Klingons will be rather displeased with the Federation and Cardassian's abrogating the Treaty behind their backs, but given that (Spoiler for 'Old Wounds') the Klingons are basically dependent on Fed assistance against their Borg Invasion right now, I don't think we'll see them risk a return to open warfare for a while. That being said, I already have a very terse response planned from the Klingons.

In terms of our two interpretations, the difference probably comes from me being British and the fact I studied Weimar Germany in High School, whereas I suspect the Japanese Occupation is a more familiar analogy in the States. As far as I can tell from the in-game map, however, the Federation received no territorial concessions from the Cardassians (possibly in recognition of the fact that they did basically make victory possible when they switched sides).

Anyway, hopefully I'll have a new chapter up tomorrow and then we're on the home stretch!