test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tales of lags and DX11 crashes

hatchetl4dhatchetl4d Member Posts: 130 Arc User
I'm posting this here because nobody gives a damn (support forums, tickets) this is my last try.

1. Since the release of the new AMD omega graphics drivers and newer (09.12.2014) this game doesn't run in DX11 anymore and steadily crashes. Only way to fix this manually is changing to DX9 without AA activated (can try to force it in catalyst).

2. For over 6 weeks this game has been a lagfest. I can't play any PvE queue anymore unless itz a lucky day and not much traffic seems to be going on. If I walk to a console it takes like 10 seconds to be able to interact with it, before the dialog even appears. Only thing that works is solo missions, leave alone anything multiplayer related in this game.

3. Those problems are not just me since the majority of my (German) fleet has exactly the same problems. For example all of us can't play Herald Sphere or ISA due to CRAZY rubberbanding.

If you are reading this and you are one of those "uhhh everything is working fine for me I never had a lag in my neat life, check your connection" get outta here, you're not helping.

This threads purpose is to make noise. Everybody that is experiencing any of those problems SHOUT and keep this thread alive.

I've been fairly patient but now I'm pissed and I'm seriously questioning myself if I keep supporting this game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by hatchetl4d on

Comments

• Options
    mrmaxburkemrmaxburke Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Have you tried using the latest beta drivers? The version you are using created an issue for this game.

The second to last set of drivers that came out in march 2015 (15.3) Specifically had a release note addressing issues within Star Trek Online, mainly to do with square artifacts appearing. It could be related to what you are experiencing.

For me I thought I'd damaged my R7 thru mining, turns out buggy drivers, which I discovered after buying an R9 lol.

The only other thing I would suggest is a 'force re check' within the game launcher.

Hope this helps

Max
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I wrote "and newer" but yea thx for the reply anyway. Yes I always do have the latest drivers installed and the artifacts are gone. I tried it yesterday. Game crashes after 5 minutes of play randomly with CTD and DX error. Card is a 290. Game cache verify is finding no errors. I been thru all this a dozen times. I have reason to be annoyed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fudgemonkfudgemonk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Game has become unplayable after the release of s10. At this point in time I'm thinking to just stop playing the game and waste my time somewhere else. No matter what I try, no matter what I do, everything lags and sound keeps stretching en echoing.
  • Options
    flesson616flesson616 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Welcome to customer service at its best, and they wonder why MMO's fail
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    If you experience LAG/RUBBERBANDING please add your country.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fudgemonkfudgemonk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Netherlands. 50/5 broadband
  • Options
    patrokoluspatrokolus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Switzerland, connect to Swisscom 50k. Terrible lag since about 6-8 weeks before almost never lag.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Germany cable 50/10Mbit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nepsthennepsthen Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    1. DX 11 has been broken for the game ever since Delta Rising. Switch to one of the DX 9 modes. Even though they claim that they don't use any DX11 commands, I thought the game looked better using it, and hope it gets fixed someday.

2/3: They've finally started working on the problem, a possible DDoS attack. Even in America, the game's been a bit laggy as well.
    https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/591366588982398976
    DxDiag64 dump 19Feb2016: http://pastebin.com/1c0pkEuw
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Thx for the information that this also affects US.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    richardcranium63richardcranium63 Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    RichardCranium63
    Fed/Vulcan: T'jar Voltek Fleet: Section 31
    Fed/Andorian: Lissan Ek'Noor sh'Aqabaa Fleet: Section 31
    KDF/Cardi: K'Im Qah da Sian Fleet: Klingon Intelligence
    KDF/Reman: R'Chras Jonzor Fleet: Klingon Intelligence
  • Options
    rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    and the entire Deferi map crashes for , seemingly , everyone with a dx error : that's not even in the "known issues "list of the ltest patch .

Intead they advertise week 4 of an event which you can no longer complete due to the above issue .
  • Options
    thenoname711thenoname711 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/4313439296.png

Any multiplayer content lagging since the start of anniversary event, worsened to another level after the start of DR event and yet worsened again after the launch of S10. Waiting for console to acknowledge me standing in front of it is a common thing.(after DR event start 1-3 seconds, after S10 up to 5 seconds)

Least laggy PvE for me is Gateway to Grethor but it still has a long way to call it "smooth experience".
    Gameserver not found.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    @richardcranium63 thx for the advice but unfortunately I know what I'm doing and I tried everything to nail it down to a driver incompatibility with just this game and DX11 on all the new Radeon drivers starting December 2014. Maybe it affects only R9 290 cards this I don't know. The latest beta driver fixes the visual artifacts but still crashes frequently when in DX11 mode.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/4313439296.png

Any multiplayer content lagging since the start of anniversary event, worsened to another level after the start of DR event and yet worsened again after the launch of S10. Waiting for console to acknowledge me standing in front of it is a common thing.(after DR event start 1-3 seconds, after S10 up to 5 seconds)

Least laggy PvE for me is Gateway to Grethor but it still has a long way to call it "smooth experience".

I'd like to add to this, that it started for me with Delta Rising and then the same as above. Prior to Delta Rising I had ZERO ISSUES with latency related stuff. Just the common delay of like 200-300ms from EU to US which is not avoidable unless there was a Holodeck EU.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    To those posting "fixes," while I appreciate it, I no longer have my gaming graphics card (eVGA 470 GTX 4.5 Years Running Flawlessly) to even try them as it happened to die after repeatedly enduring multiple game crashes in a row with Star Trek Online yesterday.

The Details of my report is in the following links so I don't repeat
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=23534591&postcount=58
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=23515971#post23515971

Freak coincidence, quite likely, and I tend to think perhaps the card, which was kept dust-free, with good air flow, monitored at all times using precision OSD, never overclocked, with a 950 W Corsair PSU to feed it more than enough to keep it happy, perhaps really might have been at the end of its life cycle, and Star Trek Online/PWE's outsourcing its very own customers to bug test clearly flawed software might have been enough to push it over the edge.

I will contact eVGA today after locating a box to ship it in and claim my lifetime warranty on the card, and will describe the exact nature of this incident in hopes that perhaps they can reassure me that severely flawed software such as Star Trek Online cannot interfere with a card's firmware to cause hardware failure, so that in the future (should PWE ever get its act together to allow Cryptic or whoever they outsource debugging and beta testing to the proper funding to do its job properly and competently) to try the game again on my new eVGA and whenever the game is not in-between major overhauls such as this.

I don't regret having funded this game to the best of my capacities in the past, as I hope it goes to those developers who write great stories, make great artwork, and all the others who bring Star Trek to life for a game that has been and that I hope still may be again as playable and enjoyable as it has been despite ongoing issues that, to my STO gaming experience, has never degraded so markedly to the point of facing a scenario such as this.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Start of Feb my ships decided to learn how to line dance & play at being yo-yo's. prob get 2 out of 10 lag free runs, very random, same map 1 time unplayable 30min later no problems, did manage a whole afternoon lag free the day before 10 was released.
    Over the last month i have also had ships kit go missing, 2 xiv dual beam, 3 xiv consoles & 1 epic beam downgrade it self to ultra rare.

Had my finger on the uninstall button quite a few time lately.

Graphic card only runs DX9.

In the UK.

P----d off & fed up.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Thank you all for the constructive feedback so far. It is getting clearer and clearer that we are dealing with serious issues right here and not by few by many. Please keep it coming. POST YOUR FEEDBACKS REGARDING THOSE ISSUES.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ozy83ozy83 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I havent been able to play properly in weeks. The game is just unplayable. Horrific Lag.

Athens, Greece
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lag Watch:
    Delta Rising: Warning
    Anniversary Event: Severe
    Iconian Season: Critical
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well looking at the locations post its not our ISP's,,,,,,,,lol

Have also seen post's from Malta, Japan, Australia, Singapore & other location's in other thread's.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    @alcyoneserene it is higly unlikely for a game to fry your hardware. Not giving you the blame but unless you tried some fix that changes the voltage, frequencies or bios, which I doubt I guess the card would have died either way which just makes it a warranty case and bad luck for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Belgium, Fiber 250MBps up and down, aside for a tad of rubberbanding on extreme peak times (where you get the connection timer) no issues.
    Neither with lag, nor DX.

For DX errors, try to run in borderless windowed?
    Seems to work for me, considering no DX issues at all...
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    @hatchetl4d

Yes, so I've been reassured, although the coincidence is rather strange to still make me suspect the game's repeated butchering of nvidia drivers led to (caused) an aging gpu to perhaps glitch its firmware/hardware to corrupt or out-stress whatever tiny component. Had these glitches not happened, maybe I could have had another few months or years out of it.

Also, I did not and never have overvolted, flashed, OCed, used 3rd party software/drivers other than nvidia/evga, or modified the card in any way, or BIOS settings relating to PICe, despite some of these still being covered by its lifetime warranty.

Artifacts trying to load linux mint debian (nevermind the partitions not found as it's been a while since I ran that OS) http://postimg.org/image/glx3ha73b/

More in windows with the old card http://postimg.org/image/s4qz7xnzz/

Even the windows loading screen & OS selection menu was filled with these permanently and no it's not any of the 3 monitors or ports or anything else as nothing's changed.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I use 3 monitors, on a Win 7 Ultimate x64 machine, never had the issues you posted.
    As I am not known with Linux, I'm going to leave that one, but for the windows machine you posted: what CPU/GPU are you running?
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    So I spent almost an hour on the phone to Virgin media earlier today, since I know a few people on here are having trouble use them as their ISP, they've finally admitted that there is a fault with their systems and they think they'll have it fixed by June 24th. Now I know not everyone gets routed through the same connections leaving the UK, so it may affect some and not others. If it helps anyone I'm being routed through, Birmingham and London on VM's network.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Yes, most problems, if not ALL, come from in-between connections.
    No matter what one does, if you're being run through a bad one, the only ever to help you be the people of said bad connection.

No matter how, Cryptic can't ever change this, and nor can you...

Quite baffling, this day in age, that some in-between connections still seem to run 16 baud modems.
  • Options
    aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have the R9 series graphics card too and since the start of Season 10, I have been having lag issues in the game. It seems no matter what options I choose the game lags. It looks like every thing skips every now and then on the screen. It's not playable.

Yakima, WA USA
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    R9 AMD graph card, from what I know these tend to run HOT, do you have sufficient cooling?

Something that I was wondering about is, do the newer cards support the extremely old games still?
    Like for instance, if I think about Diablo (original), that's now unplayable, all colours become awkward?
    Maybe lesser incompatibility issues create these system lags?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Let's not turn this into a graphical technical support thread this about to make noise to get an official statement since the game is unplayable for many people or say roughly playable.

If someone want help with their cards or advice pm me or post in the support forum. I ll try and get everyone I know that has those problems to post here.

If itz not a cryptic problem with the lags and ISP related fine but TELL US. At the end of the day itz still cryptics problem since itz their game beeing influenced by that. And I for one want nothing than to Play this game smoothly since I like it :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.