test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Loot and me: a discussion (+maybe suggestions?)

voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
For quite a while, I am somewhat dissapointed.
NO, I am not talking about the amount of, but what drops where.

To me I find it quite game breaking that: example: You are on this Borg Cube, running mission whatever, and loot drops. You pick it up, and lo and behold: it's a Klingon Bat'Leth.
Or: you're on a Romulan base, making quite a fuss, killing "innocent" bystanders and that type of sheer fun, something drops, and upon picking it up, it's Vulcan Soup.

Now, I may be wrong, but most Borg don't wield Bat'Leths, nor do Romulans eat their enemy's soup.
That's just not right, IMHO.

Another thing is, that when you walk amongst Borg, nothing Borg like drops.
There are a few things (I think for example on the Borg Prosthetic Weapon) that could be used to drop there.
Maybe a white version?

Point is: I'd love to see the loot more species-correct.
Or, location correct.

It's simply not fun when you get loot that simply does not belong where-ever you picked it up...

My question to you, players: what are your thoughs on this?

As for suggestion, well, the obvious: make the right things drop on the right locations.
Otherwise you might as well give up on for example faction based ships.
I hear you say: wait, now THAT is something entirely different.
But is it?
The basic is just the same, I think...

Discuss, but please keep it civil.

Thank you.
Post edited by voivodje on

Comments

• xelene13xelene13 Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    We know it's possible. I was running the Dominion arc yesterday and vials of white were dropping from the Jem'Hadar. When I get an Andorion tuber root from a Borg I just assume the guy was making a salad when he got assimilated.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    THis is an instance in which gameplay should be more important than immersion.
    Lets take your Vulcan Lirpa example.

Only Vulcans can drop it would equal out that only KDF players can earn it, if they are lucky with the composition of a Starfleet NPC group AND lucky with the drop.
    It only drops on Vulcan would equal out that nobody can earn it, since we never shoot on Vulcan.
    Make it drop on P'Jem, and you would have Klingons still dropping it, for Fed only.

So, I'm opposed to this. Mission rewards are correct for the immersion factor. Loot should be gameplay, not immersion.
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    OOH!
    Assimilation salad?

Now, Rahm, your logic is not applicable here.
    For instance the Borg with the Bat'Leth: why on Cube would he have this Bat'Leth?
    He would not pick it up, it is mere junk to him, it's impractical, ineffective, completely valueless... (well, towards the Borg that is).
    Immersion is this game should be quite important.

That is: to me it should. :)
    I do respect your opinion.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    as most of the loot you pick up gets recycled for EC does it really matter, sure there are some drops that seem odd or out of place but at the end of the day loot drops are only there as a small bonus and are not representative of the character you have zapped.

lets look at the other side of the coin take my federation character who is human he has some weapons in his inventory that are Klingon, supposing a enemy npc was unbeknown to us actually a real person in an alternative universe and was to zap me and i was to drop one of those Klingon weapons do you think the ncp/player would worry that it was not of human origin.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I guess I'm an oddball.
    But it's like: example: Skyrim: you kill a bandit, you strip him/her, and they wear shorts/bikini?
    That's simply... not right...

I was a severe role player, not computer based, but actual role play: pen and paper, and LARP (Live Action Role Play: specifically: Vampire the Masquerade).
    Now, if you create a fantasy world, but things are out of place, it breaks the whole setup.
    Being autistic (asperger) with ADHD, I am quite a perfectionist.

So yes, it's just me, it seems, that is being bothered with these minor thingies...

And so, my sincere apologies.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    voivodje wrote: »
    I guess I'm an oddball.
    But it's like: example: Skyrim: you kill a bandit, you strip him/her, and they wear shorts/bikini?
    That's simply... not right...

I was a severe role player, not computer based, but actual role play: pen and paper, and LARP (Live Action Role Play: specifically: Vampire the Masquerade).
    Now, if you create a fantasy world, but things are out of place, it breaks the whole setup.
    Being autistic (asperger) with ADHD, I am quite a perfectionist.

So yes, it's just me, it seems, that is being bothered with these minor thingies...

And so, my sincere apologies.

Well, at least Skyrim is modable so the underwear is removed. It's not a "bad mod" either, it's publicly available on a respectable site, at Nexusmods, though of course it's labeled "adult" for nudity, but there you go :D

I am also with you in STO. It's odd that some ferengi snail soup drops when I shoot Tal'Shiar agents. It wouldn't be too bad as I understand gameplay and lore are separate things, but STOs additional problem is that it's loot drops are 99% of the time completely worthless. It's not that you can salvage cardassian tech from cardassians and klingon tech from klingon and in the end you can collect a whole set in different rarities but the loot is almost completely vendor trash.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou