test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

one weapon type

zzzspina01zzzspina01 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
I just watched a vlog where someone was using just beams. he was working with a team but he still did a heap of damage on his own. but when I have a heap of beams I can bearly do hull damage. what is the best rachio of weapons.
I manly do
fore 2-beam arrays and 2-tropedos
aft 2-beam arrays and 2-turrets or just 4-turrets.
I cant brain I have the dumb
Post edited by zzzspina01 on

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2015
    wardcalis wrote: »
    its all in the build http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/ post your build and we will do our best to help

thx but to honest im constanly updating and changing everything. from weapon type and build to consoles and boffs. so what I post now will be different in a few days.
  • Options
    phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You should equip as many mines as possible.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    zzzspina01 wrote: »
    I just watched a vlog where someone was using just beams. he was working with a team but he still did a heap of damage on his own. but when I have a heap of beams I can bearly do hull damage. what is the best rachio of weapons.
    I manly do
    fore 2-beam arrays and 2-tropedos
    aft 2-beam arrays and 2-turrets or just 4-turrets.

"Best" is such a messy word. But if all you mean is "highest possible damage", then the answer is all dual beams up front and three omni beams back (kinetic cutting, ancient omni, crafted onmi), and this is only possible with antiproton. All beams is number 2.

Now, torps may not crack the top 50 DPs records,but they can absolutely work. If you give even a general build like wardcalis said, then the experts here can give you some feedback.
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The important things when choosing a weapon loadout are thus:

1. Focused field of fire - There should be an area of your firing arc where all your weapons are on target. This generally means turrets/360 degree beams in back with forward firing cannons or DBBs up front OR all beam arrays, taking advantage of the overlap in their arcs at the sides (broadsiding).

2. Pick a single type of energy damage and load your tactical console slots with consoles that buff that energy type (for example, antiproton weapons and antiproton mag regulators or +AP Fleet Spire consoles).

3. Use bridge officer powers that boost your chosen weapons. Traditional Tactical powers like Fire At Will or Cannon Scatter Volley lock you into Beam Arrays/DBBs or Cannons/DHCs/Turrets respectively. Newer specialization powers like Surgical Strikes free you from that restriction, allowing you to have DBBs and turrets for example.

Notice all of this is about building on and maximizing everything else. All weapons on target + maximum bonus from tactical consoles + all weapons benefitting from Boff powers. It's turning the power of multiplication to your advantage.

Now, there are exceptions to all of these, for example specialized torpedo boats tend to violate the focused field of fire rule. There are also people who engineer workable "rainbow" or "skittle" setups with mixed damage types. If you're just starting out though, learn and follow the rules first so you understand why they are generally the best advice, then you can start playing with specialized builds that violate them.

As for torpedoes, you don't really need them. They're opportunistic since they generally need an unshielded target, and you're better off spending your captain's skill tree points on energy. Some ships and players are more successful with them than others, some like to carry a torpedo because it's more "canon" that way. Generally, if you are carrying a torp, just carry one. And, if you don't have room in your build for Torpedo Spread or High Yield without sacrificing your energy damage powers, don't shoehorn it in there.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    thx for the help everyone. so the jist is beams mk xiv + consoles/doffs to help beam dam/crit