test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Voice-overs

szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
Sorry but the voice-over Robert McNeill did for Captain Paris is straight out terrible. He sounds utterly bored the whole time! Like he's reading a boring book in school. I would go as far as saying it's the worst voice-over performance by an original Star Trek actor yet. In the shows he used to be such an emotional character. What happend? :confused:

Lt. Commander Miral Paris' voice-over on the other hand is EXCELLENT! Lisa LoCicero did a fine job on this one. Great performance! :D
Post edited by szim on

Comments

• Options
    philchapphilchap Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hqaye to ask bur as one who doing real life stuff? does younger paris join your crew?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    philchap wrote: »
    hqaye to ask bur as one who doing real life stuff? does younger paris join your crew?

You mean Paris' daughter? No she doesnt' (yet?).
  • Options
    philchapphilchap Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes the daughter. sorry was busy reading book page trying to help my nephew with history. i see you (yet? ).. be nice if she did
  • Options
    pennylongpennylong Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    He did like his agent got him the job and he was obligated to do it but didn't want to be there.

The others were good but he just didn't sound interested to be honest.
  • Options
    vladdievladdie Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If you want bad Trek VO check out Avery Brooks in Legacy.
    Barihawk.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    pennylong wrote: »
    He did like his agent got him the job and he was obligated to do it but didn't want to be there.

The others were good but he just didn't sound interested to be honest.

That was exactly my thought as well. He signed the contract so he had to do it but wasn't really interested. So he got it over with as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That's weird, I've found Miral to be below average, and Tom to be fine. Not great, but fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You have to remember that not everyone can voice act. Sure the person may be a great actor when on TV or in movies, but that is because they are able to feed off their co-stars performance and work with them. But voice acting is a whole different creature, all you are doing is sitting in a small room by yourself reading the script. For some people it is just not possible to provide quality voice acting because they NEED the interaction with their co-stars.
  • Options
    omgbamf00omgbamf00 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It was most likely the lack of a director telling him how they want the scenes portrayed. They probably handed him the script and told him to just read the lines.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    You have to remember that not everyone can voice act. Sure the person may be a great actor when on TV or in movies, but that is because they are able to feed off their co-stars performance and work with them. But voice acting is a whole different creature, all you are doing is sitting in a small room by yourself reading the script. For some people it is just not possible to provide quality voice acting because they NEED the interaction with their co-stars.

If you listen to Robert picardo's interview about his sto voice work he said that was hard for him. He naturally talks far slower than the doctor and on screen he had the other actors to help him with tempo. Doing the sto voice work he said he had to push himself.

It's the major reason why I prefer the Japanese way over the Hollywood way of doing voice acting. They sit everyone down at a table with aboom mike so they can play off each other. I remember meeting the voice actor who played van in escaflowne at a convention and he was talking about how the actor for folken went so far as to make a costume to help him get into character.

By contrast, I remember an interview for two actors from lilo and stitch who said the first time they ever a spoke to each other was at the grand opening event.
  • Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I barely recognized it was the original actor until I heard people say he was brought in to voice his character again... where the in-game model looks NOTHING like the original actor as I remember him, even if he has aged

The rest of the voice acting ranged from cringe fest to just ok

I know they have been cutting back in the voice acting department but good god... these should be powerful moments, not like a 10th grade play
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    omgbamf00 wrote: »
    It was most likely the lack of a director telling him how they want the scenes portrayed. They probably handed him the script and told him to just read the lines.

This I believe, can play a vital role in VO quality and, the recording studio as well.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    While I can appreciate how great it is to have Robert Duncan McNeill reprise the role of Tom Paris, I do have to agree his performance could have been better at certain parts. Overall he did great, but at certain times it does sound like he's reading off a page and didn't quite deliver the dialogue with enough dramatic emphasis when the story called for it.

As some have suggested, perhaps with future voice actors try to have them together so they can play off each other. I think it would make a big difference.

What threw me off about Robert Duncan McNeill's VO was the nasal sound of his voice and the clunkiness of the delivery. I remember his character having a somewhat laid back speech style, but perhaps the Captain role has something to do with it; big difference from being an LT to the skipper, big difference in vocal presence. Like others stated, could be a lack of direction, or even badly calibrated recording equipment. Now Lisa LoCicero was great, she had good vocal range and you could easily connect with her varying states of emotion.

One thing is certain, every time he spoke it felt like someone was dragging their nails :eek: across a chalkboard. Oh well, it is what it is at this point.
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited April 2015

It's the major reason why I prefer the Japanese way over the Hollywood way of doing voice acting. They sit everyone down at a table with aboom mike so they can play off each other.

Good VO directors do that in Hollywood and gaming as well. Watch some behind-the-scenes from the Arkham games - they always make sure the protagonist/antagonist in any given scene are able to physically play off of each other, and it works for that reason. Even a fair amount of animated TV - i.e. a lot of stuff on [adult swim] is done that way. It usually results in a better end product

Some developers understand that simply going through the motions by getting real talent is a waste if you don't bother to get good performances.

Cryptic completely ignores everything related to sound and audio in all of its aspects. They are by no means alone in that, many developers do, in fact I'd say that most gamers don't care either - you can tell that just by the amount of gamers who don't own decent cans or a headphone amp, or a DAC, or even just a dedicated sound card. Audio is the red-headed stepchild of games, and it's probably never going to change. Unless it does, you can expect that the average quality of VOs, music, and sound won't improve much in gaming.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    abaddon653 wrote: »

I honestly found his acting as bad as his voice acting. Both just horrible.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I do wonder how much they're deliberately playing the characters as older and less lively and how much the actors have just aged.

I hope they get Jonathan Frakes or Levar Burton at some point. People with a background doing the audio books are good catches, I think.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    jornado wrote: »
    Good VO directors do that in Hollywood and gaming as well. Watch some behind-the-scenes from the Arkham games - they always make sure the protagonist/antagonist in any given scene are able to physically play off of each other, and it works for that reason. Even a fair amount of animated TV - i.e. a lot of stuff on [adult swim] is done that way. It usually results in a better end product

Some developers understand that simply going through the motions by getting real talent is a waste if you don't bother to get good performances.

Cryptic completely ignores everything related to sound and audio in all of its aspects. They are by no means alone in that, many developers do, in fact I'd say that most gamers don't care either - you can tell that just by the amount of gamers who don't own decent cans or a headphone amp, or a DAC, or even just a dedicated sound card. Audio is the red-headed stepchild of games, and it's probably never going to change. Unless it does, you can expect that the average quality of VOs, music, and sound won't improve much in gaming.

That's some good insight. Glad to hear at least a few places put people together.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I do wonder how much they're deliberately playing the characters as older and less lively and how much the actors have just aged.

I hope they get Jonathan Frakes or Levar Burton at some point. People with a background doing the audio books are good catches, I think.

Yes please! I think both would be great!