test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PvP idea: Special Warzones (levelbased)

voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
Why not create simple space, per level the ship that comes with it (the 10, 20, etc basic ship) with basic weapons/gear, basic skills, no BOffs, 2 sides (obviously, although we could have a 3 side war as well).
People joining will be drafted to whatever faction needs people, so there be a number equality on the sides playing.

Quite simplistic, I know, but hey, I am merely thinking out here.

As for level 60 PvP, there could be a space featuring buyable ships, so folks "can test a ship" before actually buying it.

Thoughts?
Post edited by voivodje on

Comments

• Options
    robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    voivodje wrote: »
    Why not create simple space, per level the ship that comes with it (the 10, 20, etc basic ship) with basic weapons/gear, basic skills, no BOffs, 2 sides (obviously, although we could have a 3 side war as well).
    People joining will be drafted to whatever faction needs people, so there be a number equality on the sides playing.

As for level 60 PvP, there could be a space featuring buyable ships, so folks "can test a ship" before actually buying it.

Thoughts?

If it doesn't offer rewards worth playing, why would noobs do it?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Well, there could be rewards, turn them into a daily or so, or as a perma side-event, offering a low form of dil and Exp...

Heck, it could even ofeer slightly better than average gear, for all I care.

Player could drop items (as per NPC's) upon death, which is spawned, not taken from the dying player.

Again merely thinking out loud, of course.

PS: you do not need to quote the last poster, brother.
    Quotes only are useful if it is further up the post tree. ;)
  • Options
    sysil84sysil84 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Thoughts?

It's a good idea. I would love this in the game and it would revitalize PvP. If this were any other game there would be a chance this would make it in. But since this is STO your idea will never be implemented.

Why? Because Cryptic makes it's money from new ships, the upgrade system and lockboxes. Their idea of player retention is an infinite grind.

Since your idea disables all of these and involves no grind at all Cryptic would see no profit in it.
  • Options
    robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well, there could be rewards, turn them into a daily or so, or as a perma side-event, offering a low form of dil and Exp...

Player could drop items (as per NPC's) upon death, which is spawned, not taken from the dying player.

Ever since cryptic nerfed the pvp rewards this was all about prestige.
    Giving regular gear "vendor trash" is not worth doing it, maybe skill points would do the trick.:)

PS: Dont use logic on me you Vulcan! :P
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    To implement it would be insanely, if not worse, simple.
    It only requires 2/3 spawn points (depending on the faction amount), a simple space, not even say a base or planet, and the base ship/equip as per gotten by leveling.
    Not implementing BOffs, higher skills, makes it even easier to do.

Quite a few left over the lack of PvP, MAYBE, just MAYBE, this could be a start towards a new PvP base...

But simnplicity would be the rule: one would win or lose a fight not over ship/gear, but actual player skill.

I'm thinking Freelancer for one?

As for rewards: I'd thought of dropping stuff as per NPC, combined with Exp and Dil.
    Maybe as like a daily?

Whilst running this song in the background. Hell, I love SSS!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3j5OTeHePs
  • Options
    valianttomevalianttome Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2015

They tried dailies before. It didnt work.

I dont know why people are convinced they can some how entice those playing PvE into the PvP portion of the game.

Back when PvP was actually balanced before all of the consoles and suped up ships. PvEers actively avoided PvP. For numerous reasons. Whether they were never interested in PvP, they couldnt overcome the learning curve that required them to take loss after loss, the fact that abilities that are useful in PvE are useless in PvP requiring a PvEer to constantly change their BOffs or buy new abilities just for the transition, or the premades that ran rough shot on any newcomer and then PM harrassed the newcomer for being a newb.

PvP has never had a true place in this game. Even Cryptic has left it to rot over the last 5 years.
  • Options
    zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Noobs would do it, as they whine on the forums all day because everything is OP. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Well, I am a no-PvP'er, but that does not mean I can't stand PvP.
    And seeing several posts with ideas to bring back PvP...
  • Options
    sysil84sysil84 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I dont know why people are convinced they can some how entice those playing PvE into the PvP portion of the game.

Because it worked before. I've seen people come into PvP and like it. Not all of them, obviously, but enough to have a good PvP community.
    Back when PvP was actually balanced before all of the consoles and suped up ships. PvEers actively avoided PvP. For numerous reasons. Whether they were never interested in PvP, they couldnt overcome the learning curve that required them to take loss after loss, the fact that abilities that are useful in PvE are useless in PvP requiring a PvEer to constantly change their BOffs or buy new abilities just for the transition, or the premades that ran rough shot on any newcomer and then PM harrassed the newcomer for being a newb.

Again, you're right for most PvE'rs. The fact is some did learn and had fun.
    PvP has never had a true place in this game. Even Cryptic has left it to rot over the last 5 years.

It did have a place in the game. The Science class is a PvP class. Numerous BOFF abilities are useless in PvE but very useful in PvP.

It's Cryptic's direction towards less and less balance and more and more grind that killed PvP, not the players.