test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Wandering thoughts... Mega armies...

voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
Since the Ico's are becoming a real issue lately, why doesn't the Federation (or any other race), begin to make Photonic Armies?
In any case, Photonic 'people' can be made by the limitless numbers, we could make simply a monster fleet of Photonic warriors.
We make them without a personality, straight-forward programmed, and point at the Ico's saying: "Attack, Pluto!"

I mean, there are countless ways to somewhat counter the Ico's, no?
Post edited by voivodje on

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I would imagine it is the same reason given in TNG for not making an army of Data's: sentient/sapient rights and slavery issues.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Destroy the projector... Or computer virus(dont forget how Yamato died)
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If the Holodeck misadventures and the Hirogen incidents are any indication, the technology is hardly reliable and turns on it's creators with alarming frequency.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I would imagine it is the same reason given in TNG for not making an army of Data's: sentient/sapient rights and slavery issues.
    Hence I said to keep them simple: no personality, no "brain", mere "automats".
    They won't be needing any form of rights, just a ton of weapons. XD

"Point and shoot, laddie, there's the enemy.
    And don't stop until all is down!"

As for Holoprojectors: think the Voy doc, he was mobile.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    voivodje wrote: »

You are oversimplifying, IMO. They need to be able to make choices about who they are supposed to shoot: the enemy, but not enemy civilians like women and children, etc. The more choices they need to make the more they evolve; and much like the Doctor, at some point they will become more then just a hologram. We see this throughout Trek, whether it is mining droids or whatever.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war.

It's time for the Space Marines.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    You are oversimplifying, IMO.
    Simplistic tactics usually have the most effect.
    Merely saying... ;)
  • Options
    valianttomevalianttome Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You are oversimplifying, IMO. They need to be able to make choices about who they are supposed to shoot: the enemy, but not enemy civilians like women and children, etc. The more choices they need to make the more they evolve; and much like the Doctor, at some point they will become more then just a hologram. We see this throughout Trek, whether it is mining droids or whatever.

And maybe youre over complicating things?

The Holodecks on ships, starbases and all over the Alpha and Beta Quadrants are filled with 'dumb' holograms.

Only a handful of holograms have ever overcome their programming and became sentient. I would not be surprised if at the end of the war Starfleet had a lot more sentient holograms on their hands. As there would definitely be instances where those holograms would have to surpass their programming to overcome hurdles that were unforeseeable by their programmers. But thats a matter to be handled post-war or at the very least post-sentience.

In the last season of Voyager we see an image of EMH MK 1's working together in a mining operation. As theyve all been decommissioned for better EMHs. Atleast as far as I know nothing in the Path to 2409 indicated these individuals were freed. They are still down in those mines, or possibly in another. And if they are. Your whole slavery argument goes right out the airlock.

Photonic Officers would definitely fill the gaps. Those Officers would be ready to go the moment the ship launches. Not wait for weeks on end for the crew to come in from their previous duty stations or graduate from the Academy. They would be ready to go the moment the holo-emitters were installed and operational.

Though it would be nice if Cryptic were to do a FE revolving around this very issue. Your Character and BOffs run into a ship manned by Photonic Officers. And the question of is it right or wrong for them to be 'pressed into service' the way they have been.
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited April 2015

They would need a big computer to work, which would make an army a single torpedo away from crumbling into tiny photons.

We would need to turn an entire planet into a holodeck for that to work.

Holograms can still be "damaged" by energy discharges, they cause feedback and it might overload the emitters.

The doctor's mobile emitter is 29th century tech.
  • Options
    induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Since the Ico's are becoming a real issue lately, why doesn't the Federation (or any other race), begin to make Photonic Armies?
    In any case, Photonic 'people' can be made by the limitless numbers, we could make simply a monster fleet of Photonic warriors.
    We make them without a personality, straight-forward programmed, and point at the Ico's saying: "Attack, Pluto!"

I mean, there are countless ways to somewhat counter the Ico's, no?

Can you imagine the ridiculous amounts of power it would take to create a photonic army?
    Quite inefficient.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Are we forgetting about the 25th Century's first big holo-failure?

"Bonnie-Kin, bonnie-kin"

That times a division would be a disaster.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Can you imagine the ridiculous amounts of power it would take to create a photonic army?
    Quite inefficient.
    We have Borg batteries, Doc's device did not need recharge (I am ignoring the fact it was a far-futuristic device, for a moment), I think, that, energy-wise, we have plenty to spare.

Or am I wrong?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    We have Borg batteries, Doc's device did not need recharge (I am ignoring the fact it was a far-futuristic device, for a moment), I think, that, energy-wise, we have plenty to spare.

Or am I wrong?

You are wrong. The Doctor's mobile emitter had a limited power cell that needed charging. (As evidenced by the episode where he, Paris, and Tuvok were trapped on another planet for 14 weeks relative time and they could only activate him as needed.)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    And the last time Borg tech was combined with the Doctor's Mobile Emitter Voyager ended up with a 29th Century Drone the Collective would've stopped at nothing to obtain.
  • Options
    melineaaelemelineaaele Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gl2814e wrote: »
    Are we forgetting about the 25th Century's first big holo-failure?

"Bonnie-Kin, bonnie-kin"

That times a division would be a disaster.

I suggest you replay and check his allegiance badge ^^

Although, how a mirror hologram came to be there in the first place..
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Quite inefficient.

Theyre holograms. Guess what Holograms dont need? Food, water and a bed to sleep on. All of those facilities could be removed and replaced with back up computer cores, generators and back up generators.

Even the most spartan of Fed ships would be hollowed out without the need for dinning facilities and quarters. Once the Holograms had served their purpose theyd deactivate. No longer draining energy from the ship.

And since theyre holograms and not limited as humans. They could possibly run multiple functions that would require more then one humanoid or a team of them. Essentially cutting back on the need for so many personnel. Most of the Holograms would go most of their time deactivated. Issues like an enemy boarding the ship would be when most would suddenly be activated to 'fight' and the great part about it? Only when the ship is destroyed are they actually destroyed. You cant kill a hologram short of destroying its program.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Theyre holograms. Guess what Holograms dont need? Food, water and a bed to sleep on. All of those facilities could be removed and replaced with back up computer cores, generators and back up generators.

REALLY? I thought holograms needed to be fed twelve times a week or they'd get grumpy.

Running one programme with complex subroutines take a lot of energy but an army of them would require an entire star base to power.
    You cant kill a hologram short of destroying its program.

Wrong again. as we saw in voyager holograms can be easily disrupted by an antiphoton pulse, a holographic ship or crew would be an easy target.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    gl2814e wrote: »
    And the last time Borg tech was combined with the Doctor's Mobile Emitter Voyager ended up with a 29th Century Drone the Collective would've stopped at nothing to obtain.
    You misunderstand: I spoke of Borg power cells, not Borg Nanites.
    We now have far better energy cells, and we can save on energy by limiting the intelligence of these photonic warriors.
    Also, if we can make entire Photonic Fleets... then what would a mere soldier require?
    Food for thought. ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    You misunderstand: I spoke of Borg power cells, not Borg Nanites.
    We now have far better energy cells, and we can save on energy by limiting the intelligence of these photonic warriors.
    Also, if we can make entire Photonic Fleets... then what would a mere soldier require?
    Food for thought. ;)

In Voyager a race known as the Lokirrim were fighting a war against photonic insurgents a faction of holograms, if Holograms were really as "Vastly superior" as you say then the Lokirrim would have easily been defeated.
  • Options
    neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'll point out we do have summunable photonic options with photonic fleet.
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Who needs massive armies, photonic or otherwise? It would be ridiculously easy to wipe out the Herald Sphere, and everything and everyone in it, using technology seen in the TNG era, specifically a molecular phase inverter (based on tech seen in "The Next Phase" and "The Pegasus") built into a trilithium missile (from Star Trek Generations).

Program the inverter to phase the missile just before it reaches the Herald Sphere, then de-phase it just before it reaches the star at the center of the sphere. Then launch the missile toward the Herald Sphere, sit back and watch the fireworks. Hellz, you could even take a cue from The Interview and play Katy Perry's "Firework" as the soundtrack to the probe collapsing the star, creating a shockwave that quickly shreds all those sun-blotting ships inside the sphere, followed by the sphere itself.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The corbomite maneuver could defeat all the heralds and an infinite number of photonic officers at once. ~.^

In all seriousness, I believe within the sto universe the cardassian story arc already demonstrates why photonic technology is not yet ready for such a role. Though it does seem to be getting close. But if the federation can't protect the computers of their highest security prison from jemhaddar, then there's no way mass produced ships will be safe from iconians.

Also, the iconians have some of the best viral defenses encountered. Anything 100% vulnerable to a software virus is too risky to rely on against them.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    REALLY? I thought holograms needed to be fed twelve times a week or they'd get grumpy.

Running one programme with complex subroutines take a lot of energy but an army of them would require an entire star base to power.

Wrong again. as we saw in voyager holograms can be easily disrupted by an antiphoton pulse, a holographic ship or crew would be an easy target.

Thanks for letting me know youll cut my comment up and conveniently leave out the parts that actually disprove everything you respond with.

Holograms can perform multiple tasks that would take multiple, sometimes whole teams of humanoids to perform. There wouldnt need to be 800 Holograms running on a ship at one time that would normally require 800 humaniods to man. And the defense of a ship. The subroutines for pointing and shooting at the intruders wouldnt take as much space as other tasks. Heck, this game is an example of how simple that code can be. And what part of extra generators and back up generators do you not understand? Do you know what the function of a generator is?

As for the things that can cause issues for holograms argument. Of course the enemy are going to deploy tactics in an attempt to disrupt, damage or destroy holograms. Just like they would deploy tactics to disable, damage and kill humanoids. There will always be pros and cons to utilizing both. But that doesnt mean that throwing real people into the grinder is the better solution than throwing the mindless holographic programs with no sense of self into the grinder. All because an antiphoton pulse can harm holograms. Never mind the fact that back up files of those holograms can restore them.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for letting me know youll cut my comment up and conveniently leave out the parts that actually disprove everything you respond with.

Holograms can perform multiple tasks that would take multiple, sometimes whole teams of humanoids to perform. There wouldnt need to be 800 Holograms running on a ship at one time that would normally require 800 humaniods to man. And the defense of a ship. The subroutines for pointing and shooting at the intruders wouldnt take as much space as other tasks. Heck, this game is an example of how simple that code can be. And what part of extra generators and back up generators do you not understand? Do you know what the function of a generator is?

As for the things that can cause issues for holograms argument. Of course the enemy are going to deploy tactics in an attempt to disrupt, damage or destroy holograms. Just like they would deploy tactics to disable, damage and kill humanoids. There will always be pros and cons to utilizing both. But that doesnt mean that throwing real people into the grinder is the better solution than throwing the mindless holographic programs with no sense of self into the grinder. All because an antiphoton pulse can harm holograms. Never mind the fact that back up files of those holograms can restore them.

And you ignore something I said that disproves your entire argument.
    In Voyager a race known as the Lokirrim were fighting a war against photonic insurgents a faction of holograms, if Holograms were really as "Vastly superior" as you say then the Lokirrim would have easily been defeated.