test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Feedback] Mind Game

dratikusdratikus Member Posts: 120 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Romulan Discussion
During the episode Mind Game - the mission"Not Feeling Like Yourself" is awful. I hate being forced to make the wrong choices while I can clearly hear my friend guiding me and urging me to make the right choices. I stopped playing my Romulan character at that point. Being given the choices to resist and succeeding much like Picard did would have been better. I believe in making ethical and moral choices, and since I am not allowed to, my only other choice is to stop playing.

This is just my feedback on the mission. Your opinions may be different.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tolmariustolmarius Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dratikus wrote: »
    During the episode Mind Game - the mission"Not Feeling Like Yourself" is awful. I hate being forced to make the wrong choices while I can clearly hear my friend guiding me and urging me to make the right choices. I stopped playing my Romulan character at that point. Being given the choices to resist and succeeding much like Picard did would have been better. I believe in making ethical and moral choices, and since I am not allowed to, my only other choice is to stop playing.

You are looking at it wrong. They used Borg tech and Elachi methods to control you. Its called indoctrination for a reason. They've basically forced you to think like them, and even though you can't win against it without help (with Khimek provides), you still resist.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You're being brainwashed. Your character is not in control of their actions.

Once it's over, you can go right back to fighting the Tal Shiar and making them pay for what they've done.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That it matters to you is a good thing, and it is exactly how i felt about the mission, but then i believe that is the real point to it. It is putting you in a position of fighting against something you cant win, trying to make all the right decisions, but being slowly worn down, having your personality ground out to the point you are unable to overide the conditioning and end up willingly doing as you are instructed. The mission isnt about making choices, it is about having no choices. your reaction and feelings, about the mission, are that of a viewer, not a participant.

indoctrination isnt about making a person do something against their will, its about making a person willing to do anything you ask.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That mission did have probably my favorite scene of the entire game: thalaron-ing the epohhs (made me start laughing so hard).
  • darthconnor1701darthconnor1701 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That mission did have probably my favorite scene of the entire game: thalaron-ing the epohhs (made me start laughing so hard).

Thought that was mildly amusing too even more so if you resist. My nephew played the mission and I got to hear him yell "NOT THE BUNNIES" as they got vaporized lol. He enjoyed making his cousins and his younger sister watch as he tried and tried to save them to no avail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It took them weeks to put in conditioning that you fight tooth and nail against. And it takes one same day treatment to pull your resisting mind back and in control and from then on you have increased resistance to mind control. Something no Fed or Klink can have. And this mission is why when a Romulan gets to Cutting the Cord. You don't mind how it ends with Hakeev.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What really makes mind games my favorite mission is that after what you go through the scenes in installation 18 on nimbus, slamek being brainwashed using the same techniques, and (as mentioned) the finale with haleev take on much more personable and emotional power.

Then, the finale of the mission itself. You are given an in character decision: based on what you went through, do you pity the talshiar and wish to protect others so they don't experience the same, or do you hate hakeev and wish to get revenge? And your decision gives you a different buff.

Its really an excellent mission.

I've always been curious to know, given the events of mind games, and knowing he suffered the same thing, how many people who took the protect others option in mind games, took pity on slamek in coliseum and how many wished they could kill him for betraying you. Thus showing they should have chosen the get revenge option.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited April 2015
    What really makes mind games my favorite mission is that after what you go through the scenes in installation 18 on nimbus, slamek being brainwashed using the same techniques, and (as mentioned) the finale with haleev take on much more personable and emotional power.

Then, the finale of the mission itself. You are given an in character decision: based on what you went through, do you pity the talshiar and wish to protect others so they don't experience the same, or do you hate hakeev and wish to get revenge? And your decision gives you a different buff.

Its really an excellent mission.

not to mention depending on if you resisted or gave in you get an accolade on top of the free trait.

the OP really is wildly missing the point... on top of everything else mentioned here it also served to show exactly how cartoonishly two-dimensional... errr I mean despicable and thoroughly corrupt your opponents were. I was intended to show you, there was nothing redeemable about your opponents and to establish why you must win against these nefarious villains! *mustache twirl* It also serves to hand cryptic a carte blanche for why all of the npc Tal Shiar are equally despicable, and that the number of potentially redeemable members of this organization could be counted on an amputee's fingers.
  • crappyturbocrappyturbo Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If Cryptic wanted to show that then they could have made the mission up to where the indoctrination is removed a video sequence then it would not be so painful for those of us who hate having effectively only 1 choice even though 2 show up on the screen. The Tal Shiar were
    shown to be just as 2 dimensional in TNG and DS9 if I remember correctly.
    edited April 2015

You sir need professional help. People who laugh at the painful deaths of harmless animals tend to have all sorts of psychological problems.

Perhaps that's why you like the Tal Shiar. You can relate. :D
    3T6cHqb.png
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tolmarius wrote: »
    You sir need professional help. People who laugh at the painful deaths of harmless animals tend to have all sorts of psychological problems.

I have to say tolmarius might be on to something ...
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dratikus wrote: »

If you resist to your best, it does give a nod to Picard with an accolade, and then if you keep going a little longer, you get freed and blow the heck out of some Tal Shiar forces systematically.

That said, I understand where you're coming from. It's one of the most effective single episodes in the game in my opinion, with your mounting frustration and fear, and it uses the 'action button' items very effectively. It's probably the most emotionally intense moment for the Romulan captain.

If you can keep going.... It should be noted the next Romulan specific arc is entitled 'Vengeance' for a reason. Mind Game's a tide changer with the character at the lowest ebb - Hakeev's on the defensive from here in.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited April 2015
    If Cryptic wanted to show that then they could have made the mission up to where the indoctrination is removed a video sequence then it would not be so painful for those of us who hate having effectively only 1 choice even though 2 show up on the screen. The Tal Shiar were
    shown to be just as 2 dimensional in TNG and DS9 if I remember correctly.

no... no one was that two-dimensional in TNG and DS9, not even romulans. Hell one shot characters tended to have more depth than STO's Tal Shiar. Also, making 90% of the mission one epic long cutscene wouldnt have provided you the intended(and strangely well executed) frustration of trying to fight a loosing battle in your mind.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If you are that upset over this mission, well, there is a "SKIP" button for a reason.

Like others have said, I thought it was relatively effective at getting me engaged in the story, at really amping up my hatred of Hakeev.

That said, I don't think most Romulans would have too much problem nuking some bunnies. We tend to be a practical people - not a lot of tree-hugging. ;)
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
    edited April 2015
    That said, I don't think most Romulans would have too much problem nuking some bunnies. We tend to be a practical people - not a lot of tree-hugging. ;)

Not if it serves a purpose, no. But fits of laughter over the pointless deaths of creatures that couldnt harm you if they tried is indicative of a psychopathic personality.
    3T6cHqb.png
    edited April 2015

Yeah I love you too tolmarius <3

The whole scene was funny enough, but what really made me laugh was imagining the epohh lady's reaction if she saw that.

And correction: I don't relate to the Tal Shiar (both after what I've seen them become), but my loyalty remains with the Romulan Star Empire.
    edited April 2015
    Yeah I love you too tolmarius <3

The whole scene was funny enough, but what really made me laugh was imagining the epohh lady's reaction if she saw that.

And correction: I don't relate to the Tal Shiar (both after what I've seen them become), but my loyalty remains with the Romulan Star Empire.

Glad you saw the humor. Wasn't sure you'd catch it. So...I have two questions.

1. Why does the death of harmless, inoffensive animals make you laugh?

2. Why do you like the Star Empire? I like it too, but probably not the same one. Or the same era, rather.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The mission itself it one of the most thought-provoking - and subsequently disturbing - of all the missions in STO. But it's designed that way. Just as the Trek shows brought the main characters into some of the most ethically-reprehensible situations, our characters get the same treatment. It's that type of depth to the missions that really, really made me stay with the Romulan faction. Right from Temer's death, you can tell that there's something a lot deeper in the LoR mission arcs.

This particular mission... yeah, that stuck with me. It was deeply unsettling, and left me feeling pretty terrible afterwards. But it did so in the same way that several Trek episodes have affected me in the past. It was something more real, and wasn't sugar-coated for a happy pew-pew MMO. Much of the LoR storyline, yeah I feel they really started to hit home with bringing some real Trek depth to the game - the light, and the dark.

I hated this mission - and that's why I appreciate it.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2015

They're not real, you know. It's no different than the death of Jar Jar Binks would be in Star Wars.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited April 2015
    They're not real, you know. It's no different than the death of Jar Jar Binks would be in Star Wars.

Their fictionality is irrelavent. I would ask the same of laughter at the death of ewoks or cartoon bunnies.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Their fictionality is irrelavent. I would ask the same of laughter at the death of ewoks or cartoon bunnies.

Agreed. It's more about the intent behind the plot point.

Doing all of these questionable acts is supposed to make you feel remorseful, and powerless. It's a plot point designed to evoke a certain emotional response, just like anything else in a movie, a book, etc.
    edited April 2015
    Glad you saw the humor. Wasn't sure you'd catch it. So...I have two questions.

2. Why do you like the Star Empire? I like it too, but probably not the same one. Or the same era, rather.

1. Payback for all those times I had to run around the worst Adventure Zone in the game and tag them. Oh, no, those little devils are FAR from innocent. They enjoy watching me suffer.

2. I like the Star Empire because it is very reminiscent of the Galactic Empire from Star Wars: once it was the central power. Was it corrupt to the core? Undoubtedly, and it was not by any means free from reproach. But despite all of that, it still managed to keep its citizens safe and secure for hundreds of years. It remained strong because even if the people hated it, they knew there was no other means to maintain safety and security among the member worlds. The overwhelming majority of those in the military truly believed the (albeit idealistic) idea that by doing their part as loyal members of the Empire they could make a difference to their people. I would also venture to say that at the outset many if not all of the Tal Shiar truly believed that their efforts would help reduce the corruption in the government and military.

All of that changed after Hobus. The Tal Shiar had been slowly building power over the centuries, realizing that if they could not stop the corruption they could use and control it to meet their ends. Hobus set them back though, and in this void it seemed initially as if the Empire was turning over a new leaf: Donatra was now in control, and the more oppressive elements of the Empire were being lifted, while still keeping the governmental structure overall intact. Then Donatra was removed from play and the Tal Shiar made its move. By remaining allied with the Star Empire, they hoped to create a unified terror regime that would take back what was theirs by force.

However, in time the Star Empire realized it was being used and broke free. Now facing war on multiple fronts: the Tal Shiar, Federation, Klingon Empire, as well as the newly formed Romulan Republic; the Star Empire cannot hold out much longer. It has 2 choices—adapt or die.

You see, I don't care if there are Romulans that want to be part of the Republic. All we want is recognition as our own sovereign state. However, for that to happen the current leadership has to realize that this can no longer survive as the pre-Hobus Empire. Donatra was taking strides in the right direction, all we need to do is pick up where she left off.
    edited April 2015
    Previous quote etc.

1. I'm sorry. You weren't aware that tagging eppohs was completely optional? Has Obisek asked you to fetch a bucket of deflector grease or green oil for the starboard running lights yet? Be careful. He's a prankster. :D

2. As for this point, I believe that the service of most of the common Romulan soldiers was due more to an ingrained sense of duty to the Romulan people (a virtue inspired by the influences of Roman culture on the creation of the Romulans), rather than an idealistic and naive belief in the Empire. It also explains why so many of them defected to the Republic. After the chaos of thirty years of of civil wars and strife, they came to believe that D'tan's government on New Romulus was a better choice for the Romulan people, since it had managed on one fell swoop to make peace AND ally with both the Federation and the Klingons, acquire a fertile new home world, and integrate the Remans. Quickly turning the Romulans three biggest foes into allies in the drop of a hat would have been convincing to soldiers looking out for their peoples best interests. Meanwhile, those remaining with the RSE would have looked at the new allies and seen their old enemies. And the opportunists went wherever.

On the subject of the Tal Shiar, there are no canon sources as to when they were founded, but the novel Vulcan's Heart gives us 2344 as their founding date, on the "ruins" of an older civilian intelligence agency simply refered to as Romulan Intelligence. For one reason or another, whether due to old hands continuing a culture of corruption, or a new batch, the Tal Shiar gained enough influence to assassinate the man who founded them and become a political force with the power to morph into the "state in all but name" it is today.

Finally, i'm dubious as to the RSE's ability to adapt. Recognition will require them to realize that the bird named Republic has well and truly flown the coop, and having grown to mogai size, is not going back in. It would also require admission of the crimes commited and something like a truth and reconciliation commission to investigate and prosecute the criminals who murdered their own people for personal power and gain.
    3T6cHqb.png