test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 10 pre-downlaod already? Meh...

iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
I just logged out for lunch and as soon as I did, the launcher started back up and began patching something about 6+ gigs in size.

So, if this is indeed the pre-patch for Season 10, is it going to actually work this time or is it going to be like every other major update since season 7 where I download the pre-patch (sometimes multiple times) and then have to re-download it on the day the content goes live? Because if it is, I'll just keep canceling the pre-patch and just plan on not playing for the first day or two after the content goes live.

I don't know what the problem is with the pre-patch not working, but I have reported it every time and I'm not alone when it comes to it not working.

Please, PLEASE, make sure the pre-patch is going to work. It's a huge waste of time and bandwidth to download it if it isn't going to do what it's "advertised" to do.
Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    captainransomcaptainransom Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Truer words have never been spoken. We love your game Cryptic... when we can logon and play it. Don't taint the launch with inaccessability especially since I have trek freinds who are back on from 1 yr plus breaks.

Edit: ...and they're purchasing zen. *cough T6 Galaxy
    giphy.gif

"It's easy to cling to principles when you're standing on a vessel with its bulkheads intact, manned by a crew that's not starving."

• Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Honestly I never really bother with pre-patch...STO is usually pretty quick to download for me.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have a feeling they are doing this early to avoid the massive lag etc that happened for days after the anniversary where it was down to the servers being over loaded from patching.

So with logic if they do it now while people are playing etc the lag in theory should be much much less.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    tyriniussstyriniusss Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Doing it now while people are lagging anyway is pretty clever...
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    iamynaught wrote: »
    I just logged out for lunch and as soon as I did, the launcher started back up and began patching something about 6+ gigs in size.

So, if this is indeed the pre-patch for Season 10, is it going to actually work this time or is it going to be like every other major update since season 7 where I download the pre-patch (sometimes multiple times) and then have to re-download it on the day the content goes live? Because if it is, I'll just keep canceling the pre-patch and just plan on not playing for the first day or two after the content goes live.

I don't know what the problem is with the pre-patch not working, but I have reported it every time and I'm not alone when it comes to it not working.

Please, PLEASE, make sure the pre-patch is going to work. It's a huge waste of time and bandwidth to download it if it isn't going to do what it's "advertised" to do.

If you patch/play on Tribble (and keep that up to date), there's no rason at all to bother with Pre-patching (IE you can close the Launcher as it pops back up before it starts downloading.) Why? because when S10 goes live, the patcher will pull what it needs directly from you're current Tribble directory. So, if you patch/playtest on Tribble when tehy release a patch to it, you're already covered when S10 goes Live.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    If you patch/play on Tribble (and keep that up to date), there's no rason at all to bother with Pre-patching (IE you can close the Launcher as it pops back up before it starts downloading.) Why? because when S10 goes live, the patcher will pull what it needs directly from you're current Tribble directory. So, if you patch/playtest on Tribble when tehy release a patch to it, you're already covered when S10 goes Live.

I keep Tribble up to date as well, at least since Legacy of Romulus. (I knew I forgot something in my original post) It hasn't worked yet. It's like the launcher forgets where it put the files and refuses to use them to update. I know that it works for others, but not for me. And again, I'm not the only one.

• Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tyriniusss wrote: »
    Doing it now while people are lagging anyway is pretty clever...

Better than a major expansion
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I have never had this problem in the five plus years of the game's life.

In fact, all the time, every time, the downloads to my pc from cryptic take less than five minutes...fifteen at the very most, if ever, that many minutes.

I'm not sure why you have so much trouble...unless you're inflating the issue. Today's culture demands instantaneous gratification. And when it comes to the internet, one minute...sixty real life seconds...is just too damn long for "them" to wait.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I keep Tribble up to date as well, at least since Legacy of Romulus. (I knew I forgot something in my original post) It hasn't worked yet. It's like the launcher forgets where it put the files and refuses to use them to update. I know that it works for others, but not for me. And again, I'm not the only one.

If you're saying keeping tribble up to date equals keeping holodeck up to date, then you are not correct. They are mutually exclusive of each other.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    doctordositheusdoctordositheus Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    thetanine wrote: »

In fact, all the time, every time, the downloads to my pc from cryptic take less than five minutes...fifteen at the very most, if ever, that many minutes.

I'm not sure why you have so much trouble...unless you're inflating the issue. Today's culture demands instantaneous gratification. And when it comes to the internet, one minute...sixty real life seconds...is just too damn long for "them" to wait.

I have had the exact same issue as the original poster. I have fully downloaded the pre-patch only to have to repeat the process again a week later when the patch goes live. It is an issue that did occur for some people. You say you are "not sure why you have so much trouble". Well, if you're "not sure", a little forum research would reveal that this indeed was an issue for some people with the last major patch like this. I guess not bothering to do a forum search before attacking someone on the forums could be considered one form of instant gratification. Just because you haven't had the issue is no reason to accuse this person of inflating the issue. To pile on and accuse him of demanding instant gratification with additional hyperbole is unnecessary. That's great that it takes you less than 5 minutes to download over 6 gigabytes. I assure I am appropriately envious. Not everybody has access to that kind of Internet service.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Pre-patching works for me without problems. The only time I need to download something again is when there have been major updates between my pre-patch and the actual release day.

Maybe the launcher has problems to identify the files on the harddrive? :confused:
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Sometimes, I'd rather just do the clean install...that folder can get bloated over time.
  • Options
    ceekayzeroceekayzero Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    I have a feeling they are doing this early to avoid the massive lag etc that happened for days after the anniversary where it was down to the servers being over loaded from patching.

So with logic if they do it now while people are playing etc the lag in theory should be much much less.

I don't think that the lag was caused by the anniversary patch; but rather an automated script hitting everyone in the game when they logged on because of the BOFF changes.

That said, didn't one of the Devs say that a script would be coming with Season 10 to automatically upgrade all the items from the pre-Season 9.5 items to the new items? That could cause...problems.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ceekayzero wrote: »
    I don't think that the lag was caused by the anniversary patch; but rather an automated script hitting everyone in the game when they logged on because of the BOFF changes.

That said, didn't one of the Devs say that a script would be coming with Season 10 to automatically upgrade all the items from the pre-Season 9.5 items to the new items? That could cause...problems.

Yeah, there's going to be the...er...this: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1402701
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    pre-patch doesnt really do much... it downloads the files dated... but those are not 100% golden. If they revised things before release... your prepatch = 0.

I have always been required to download several gigs of data each season. never been able to play on 1st day... not even for events like mirror invasion or crystalline entity. <- takes 1 day to do a full download since I dont want to spend hours waiting while my DSL downloads 3 to 6 gigs of data at 75 kbps - Thanks AT&T!

it may save you some of the download... but certainly not the full amount you download now.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

No, not inflating the issue at all.

I don't have a fast internet speed, it can take me more than an hour to download a gig on a good day. So when there is a BIG patch for the game, I want to make it as painless as possible on launch day so I can get in and enjoy the new content. That means I want to use the pre-patch system.

Unfortunately, it simply doesn't work for me. I can let it download and when it's done the launcher will close. I can start up the game the next day, play and close the game and most times, it tries to pre-patch again. Now, I get that it initiates the process to check that everything is up to date. This is normal, I get that.

Most times however, it begins to re-download the pre-patch again. I don't know why. If I let it continue, and I have before, it WILL download the patch a second time. (or third or fourth...) I have monitored my bandwidth and sure enough, it does re-download it. And then come release day, the pre-patch apparently cannot be found by the launcher and I end up having to start from scratch.

Which makes my downloading of the pre-patch utterly useless. And means that I can't usually play on release day due to having to download several gigs worth of data at a time when hundreds if not thousands of others are doing the same. My slow download speed becomes even slower and takes that much longer for me to finish.

Also, I know there is a difference between the amount of data being patched and the actual amount of data being downloaded, with the download size being smaller than the amount being patched. If the pre-patch would actually work for me, on release day there would be a few minutes of patching and then likely a small amount of downloading to get any files that may have been updated between the time I pre-patched and the actual "Live" release. Okay, that small amount might end up being a few hundred megs in the end, but that's so much better than 5-ish gigs.
    If you're saying keeping tribble up to date equals keeping holodeck up to date, then you are not correct. They are mutually exclusive of each other.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I know that Holodeck and Tribble are not the same and keeping one updated does not mean the other is.

However, a workaround that some folks have had success with is keeping Tribble updated and then come release day, the Holodeck files get updated/copied from their Tribble folder. This has never worked for me either.

While I'm certainly glad that apparently most players do not have the types of problems I do with pre-patching, there are players that are in a similar situation.

• Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited April 2015

Check your STO files for a folder called "Prepatch" that is about 6GB big. If it's there then pre-patch is working correctly...

Also, if you see the pre-patch everytime you log out, it means that everytime you log out the launcher is going to very that you have the pre-patched files, if there is any slight difference, it is going to download the new files it needs...

however keep in mind the numbers show represent 2 actual things...

Patched - means the size of the files patched
    Received - is the total size you "actually" downloaded
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've had no problems before with pre-patching. Then I would have to patch again on patch day anyways, then wait for the server to stabilize. All good, a normal patch day Cryptic/PWE style.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    whicky1978whicky1978 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ite going to take anout 2 hours to patch 3 gigs on my machine, by that time i will probaly just watch tv and go to bed.
  • Options
    ishapza1ishapza1 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am very "upset" with the whole pre-patch system. My patch downloaded to 2,1 Gb and then got interrupted by network error. When I connected again it started the whole damn thing from scratch! Why did it not detect the files already downloaded and or just continue from there?
    This is a huge waste of not only time, but money as well.

Edited 18/04/15

The patch finally completed, now it just keeps patching the same 3 MB at the launcher start over and over. I checked the data, it actually downloads it repeatedly. Way to go Cryptic, redundancy is after all a Star Trek feature.
  • Options
    garretson77garretson77 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm having a similar issue. I had the entire patch download, and the client restarted. After the restart..it started to download the patch again. Can you force load the game and bypass this auto prepatching.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Well, I see that the launch of Season 10 is happening exactly how I thought it would and that's not a good thing. For me anyway.

I started up the launcher at 6:45am Pacific and started downloading the patch. I had hoped that since I downloaded the pre-patch that there would be just minor downloading needed, to "catch up" to whatever changes were made between the pre-patch and the release today.

Well, as of right now, I've downloaded 615 megs and patched 968 megs of data. Which is telling me that the pre-patch didn't work for me.

Again.

How difficult is it to actually get this system to work? I ask this honestly because I WANT the pre-patch system to actually do what it's advertised. I spend time and bandwidth downloading the pre-patch only to not have it work since Season 7, which was what, 2 and a half years ago?

I give up.

I love the game, I will continue to play it and support it when I can, but I have resigned myself to not being able to play the game on the day of a major content release due to the fact that pre-patching does not work for me.

With a slow-ish download speed, this means that even if I only have to download half the amount of data that gets patched, it'll be several hours before it's done. Add in that several thousand other players are updating the game as well and my slow download speed is even slower.

Fine, I can wait. I'd rather be playing but whatever. I'll just let the game update and come back later.

I get it too, I'm in the minority. Why look for a fix for the 1% (or however many it is) who have problems with pre-patching when the 99% have no trouble. It's just really annoying and I would like to know exactly what to do to get this to work correctly.

I've asked and reported this problem for years now. I've looked for solutions, done what other players have suggested with no luck.

Oh well, I hope that folks who have no problems enjoy a flawless launch to Season 10. I'll be back tomorrow, if I'm lucky.

• Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well, I see that the launch of Season 10 is happening exactly how I thought it would and that's not a good thing. For me anyway.

I started up the launcher at 6:45am Pacific and started downloading the patch. I had hoped that since I downloaded the pre-patch that there would be just minor downloading needed, to "catch up" to whatever changes were made between the pre-patch and the release today.

Well, as of right now, I've downloaded 615 megs and patched 968 megs of data. Which is telling me that the pre-patch didn't work for me.

Again.

How difficult is it to actually get this system to work? I ask this honestly because I WANT the pre-patch system to actually do what it's advertised. I spend time and bandwidth downloading the pre-patch only to not have it work since Season 7, which was what, 2 and a half years ago?

I give up.

I love the game, I will continue to play it and support it when I can, but I have resigned myself to not being able to play the game on the day of a major content release due to the fact that pre-patching does not work for me.

With a slow-ish download speed, this means that even if I only have to download half the amount of data that gets patched, it'll be several hours before it's done. Add in that several thousand other players are updating the game as well and my slow download speed is even slower.

Fine, I can wait. I'd rather be playing but whatever. I'll just let the game update and come back later.

I get it too, I'm in the minority. Why look for a fix for the 1% (or however many it is) who have problems with pre-patching when the 99% have no trouble. It's just really annoying and I would like to know exactly what to do to get this to work correctly.

I've asked and reported this problem for years now. I've looked for solutions, done what other players have suggested with no luck.

Oh well, I hope that folks who have no problems enjoy a flawless launch to Season 10. I'll be back tomorrow, if I'm lucky.

Meh, my download is already done and yours probably will be too by the time the game pops up around 10am Pacific, 1 pm my time (sux)
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    just downloaded it. pre-pathcing has never worked for me since day 1 when i registered. it just downloads the whole thing, switch it off, play the game and then it redowloads the pre-patch. so i shut that window down before it gets anywhere close to downloading.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm having no issues at all. I did the pre-patch and also patched Tribble this morning which had the last S10 build on there. As a result I'm 93% patched for Holodeck already after only ten minutes or so.

Preparation chaps! Makes a big difference :).
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    ufpterrell wrote: »
    I'm having no issues at all. I did the pre-patch and also patched Tribble this morning which had the last S10 build on there. As a result I'm 93% patched for Holodeck already after only ten minutes or so.

Preparation chaps! Makes a big difference :).

Yes, I pre-patched. I keep Tribble up to date. None of it works for me, it's just wasted bandwidth and time. Thankfully I don't have a download cap.

Unfortunately I still have faith that the system will work 'this time', but it never does.

955 megs downloaded, 1315 megs patched. I'm at 19% after an hour and 20 minutes so if it holds out (which it won't, it'll make big jumps here and there) I'm looking at another 5-ish hours.

• Options
    cypherouscypherous Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes, I pre-patched. I keep Tribble up to date. None of it works for me, it's just wasted bandwidth and time. Thankfully I don't have a download cap.

Unfortunately I still have faith that the system will work 'this time', but it never does.

955 megs downloaded, 1315 megs patched. I'm at 19% after an hour and 20 minutes so if it holds out (which it won't, it'll make big jumps here and there) I'm looking at another 5-ish hours.

Might i suggest a better connection, i opened the patcher maybe 20 minutes ago and i'm at about 71%, what exactly is the rush though, server isn't up for another 2 hours anyway, or are you one of those people living somewhere that still seems to think data caps are a "thing"?
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've never had a problem with this system. Granted after Delta Recruit hit. Everytime I opened the launcher or closed the game, the patcher would start patching, get to about 3% and close out. I can't say if this was the patcher actually downloading bits and pieces of a patch, or just verifying what was already there. Eitehr way, it has never given me any troubles.

As for how long it takes you to download. That's on your net, as most have stated in their own posts.

For those of you using Sattelite, AT&T, or Comcast. I'm sorry... but there isn't anything we can do for you suffering there.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah since season 8, prepatch has never worked for me, and i've gone through 3 different systems with it too. it downloads all the pre patch data, then it will again, and again and again, each time i log out. I have gotten to the stage of instantly hitting cancel and just waiting for launch day.

The only consistent thing I can think of across all 3 systems is that STO is never installed into the default directory. Maybe there is something about custom folders the launcher doesn't like?