Comments

• Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    scrooge69 wrote: »
    as I see it
    - more exp when u reach 50
    I still have 50 toosn that wotn get 60 by jsut palying the delta arc

- STOP releasing missiosn with new sets that reeqire to paly the mission 2-3 times
    its just annoying
    make it 2-3 missions each reward a part or give all 3 parts as the reward
    specially with multiple toons you wnat the set on you have to play the mission
    WAY too often (another reason why I dont paly some of my twinks at all atm)

-make lobiships accwide unlocks
    its far too expensive to get the ships with nice traits (T6) you want for mroe than 1 toon on multiple toons (another reason why I dont paly some of my twinks at all atm)

-crafting thing is WAY TOO MUCH GAMBLING
    therefore I only upgraded stuff on my main besides mk12 fleet gear is pretty much good enoughf for all content in game

-the R&D traits on reaching 15 in a school should be accwide....

I agree with all of that really.

I had a thought about the Spec Tree system last night too. It's something that has bugged me since it's introduction because similar to how the Rep system was when it was first introduced (before they limited us to a total of 4 passive ground and 4 passive space traits) it drastically alters the balance between fresh level 60 toons and long standing level 60+ toons. The rate of progression is so painfully slow due to the great XP nerf that most of my toons will never ever gain the benefits of these new trees especially since they keep adding more trees but not increasing the amount of XP we gain.

Personally, I think the Spec tree would work better at an account level. What I mean by that is that all characters on the account who have reached level 50 start to contribute their XP gains to the spec point system. One you gain enough XP on the spec tree you get a spec point and you pick up the next trait. It'd function the exact same as it does now, but it'd mean that if you play four hours on a single toon or one hour each on four toons, you'd make the same progress to unlocking your next spec point. All toons gain the benefits, and it suddenly doesn't feel so painfully alt un-friendly.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    valianttomevalianttome Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I kind of wish they had done the DR Event earlier. They may have been able to run it more then once.

At this point itll be a one time thing and if they ever decide to do something similar itll be wrapped around something different with different rewards and goals.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,878 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    razar2380 wrote: »
    B
    The whole reason this was possible was because it was more alt friendly. Being non-alt friendly doesn't mean that your can't level your alts using Doff missions. It means that you pretty much have a main now, and you don't actually play your alts, but just Doff them..

It also means less depth. Prior to Delta Rising there was a definite cap in character progression once you hit T5 in all reputations. Additional time spent with one character beyond that point could only translate peripherally into progresssion via resource and equipment gains. Alting was a very obvious way of getting around the "insufficient content to support long-term playtime" problem of STO. Once you finished with an old character you started another. That had a definite aspect of finding alternative playstyles, but it also maintained a sense of progression in spite of the fixed structure of the old game (and between those I'll argue that #2 was the more important. #1 influenced what species/faction/profession you picked next, but when you moved on was dependent on #2.)

Now that we don't have a fixed end-game structure (so long as cryptic keeps making new specializations) we have a different balance of playtime. You could start up a new character at 60, or you could just keep going for continued skill-point rewards. That incidentally makes it much more difficult to simultaneously maintain multiple characters, but that's not a problem (ie. something requiring definite action to fix) given that an approach to the game isn't worth preserving over the game itself (since now with more depth cryptic doesn't have to rely on priority changes of some kind or another to keep players invested with STO. Those are still possible, and still viable IMO, but changing gears isn't required when at the very least a main can keep you going indefinitely.)

The issue, as I see it, in "alt-unfriendliness" is psychological. Its adapting to a new environment, one where previous expectations don't hold true (ie. that I should be able to play this way because for the last 4 years I've been able to play this way.) However it is up to you, not the developer, to get around that problem (when the developer can take an objective look at how the game functions now and justify their actions). I personally cut my character pool down from 8 to 3 (+1 Delta Recruit) and found a new alt-friendly optimum. Its a difficult process, and one that cryptic SHOULD have made easier with Delta Rising (ie. with resource/item/officer transfers when deleting characters), but its the most reasonable response to the new leveling system.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!