What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

ESD---Gutter Talk

Comments

• Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I always turn it off soon as I get to one of those areas. By switching it over to NCP. I rather see what the NCP has to say. When I was on wow, I would turn it off. As it was no different than STO. I don't care what people has to say in those places.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    embracedsinembracedsin Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ad hominem and paranoid projections.

You only said why i might be flawed in your opinion and not why what i said might or is flawed.

Not worth replying to you.
  • Options
    deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You only said why i might be flawed in your opinion and not why what i said might or is flawed.

Not worth replying to you.

not opinion, fact. proven beyond a shadow of a doubt daily. simple example for your simple mind. people prefer free, yet when the majority go shopping, out to eat, to buy a new car or other toys they pay rather than steal. that simple example and easily provable example blows your BS away.

if you're going to troll find better trollbait. the only thing you've shown here is your stupidity since your argument is invalid and easily disproven just by daily examples of how humans live and control themselves on a daily basis.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    While embracedsin is wrong about a lot of what he/she said, there is a valid point in the fact that there are certain "conditions" a person may have, which are beyond their control, which inhibit their ability to make rational decisions.

That said, there is also a certain biological "norm", and people who do not have exceptional conditions are able to make decisions about what they do, or do not do. Forget people, even animals can make limited decisions. Sometimes I will give my cat both a bowl of milk and a bowl of cat food at the same time. I then watch while he decides which one he wants to eat first, and he does not always make the same decision. And sometimes he will stop in the middle of one and start on the other, then go back and forth.

The fact that he does not always do the same thing shows he has some limited ability to choose, and if he has that limited ability then we by extension have an even greater ability to choose what we want to do in general when making choices. And sometimes we even choose to do things we *don't* want to do because they need to be done.

So yes, there are certain problems which can prevent people from thinking rationally, but under "normal" circumstances people decide what they are going to do, with various outside influences factored into the equation.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Khan,

Only half a dream.

It's not ESD, it's you.

The walrus is coming,

But you cannot hide.

Grab the bagel,

And run.

Do not look back.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    not opinion, fact. proven beyond a shadow of a doubt daily. simple example for your simple mind. people prefer free, yet when the majority go shopping, out to eat, to buy a new car or other toys they pay rather than steal. that simple example and easily provable example blows your BS away.

if you're going to troll find better trollbait. the only thing you've shown here is your stupidity since your argument is invalid and easily disproven just by daily examples of how humans live and control themselves on a daily basis.

You're trying to hard,

That is at best anecdotal evidence. If you actually bothered trying to understand why people do certain things you might notice that choice is a factor less often then you assume.

My argument would be disproved by some facts showing that people are not at the mercy of their own structure and developmental issues.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    1. if any off you spoke too me face to face, I'd knock your head off.

2. your mother was/is a woman.. your daughter etc is female... say too their faces that they are what ever..

3. your just a bunch of idiots/carrot crunchers/demented fraggers...

I really would Like too smack some off you lot with dirty mouths.

4. swings and roundabouts... it will always come back and hit you.

spammers on Q.

Gutters on E

1 place left D...

Khan.

This^^^ is why i

Very rarley if ever do i speak to anyone outside of my fleet unless im trolling female toons with short skirts lol :D

But 99% of the time my zone and local chats are disabled i prefer to only talk to fleet mates.
  • Options
    chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You're trying to hard,

That is at best anecdotal evidence. If you actually bothered trying to understand why people do certain things you might notice that choice is a factor less often then you assume.

My argument would be disproved by some facts showing that people are not at the mercy of their own structure and developmental issues.

don't use words you don't actually understand like anecdotal k? that only applies if there is some reason or need to research to prove conclusively if something is true or not. there is no need in this case as the facts, the history of human society speaks for itself.

it's overwhelming and irrefutable evidence. but i'd bet you'd apply anecdotal to grass growing wouldn't you? or anything else that doesn't match how you want to believe things work. your rationalizations are irrelevant.

and you are going off on a tangent, after having been proven wrong about people able to control themselves you now attempt to push it into the realm of choice...and you will be equally wrong there. even if people choose to make an instinctive or forced choice over a reasoned one it is still a choice. just because someone isn't capable perhaps of seeing that there are multiple choices does not remove or negate the fact that there was choice.

all your arguments are disproved everyday, you refuse to see that because you prefer excuses and rationalizations...that is your choice. i prefer reality, that is my choice. you seem to want to have a catch all excuse for whatever you may want to do 'it's not my fault it was genetics/upbringing/my hamster ran away' whatever.

shirking responsibility for your actions or attempting to pass it off on something or someone elses fault is fairly common...so nothing about you or your excuses are special or new. you just have the somewhat ugly distinction of attempting to pass it off as if it was some kind of universal truth.

sophistry and rationalizations only have a few places where they are welcome, politics being one...perhaps you should start thinking of a career in that. or as a televangelist.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i occasionally chat on esd chat, usually my main is on esd, im crafting things, got nothing else to do except some ingame trolling which i dont get to do very often :P. but there are times when there is a genuine conversation taking place, hard to believe i know, but it does happen on occasion.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    don't use words you don't actually understand like anecdotal k? that only applies if there is some reason or need to research to prove conclusively if something is true or not. there is no need in this case as the facts, the history of human society speaks for itself.

Appeal to tradition.
    Your perception != facts
    Speaking of history..you do realize that most of human history isn't recorded?
    If you bother to look at the history you're talking about you will see that the more you go back the more the behavior of normal people is insane by the standards we have today.
    What you said only suggests that people , when they have their basic needs satisfied, will tend to act in a normal way.
    it's overwhelming and irrefutable evidence. but i'd bet you'd apply anecdotal to grass growing wouldn't you? or anything else that doesn't match how you want to believe things work. your rationalizations are irrelevant

Paranoid projections.

It is irrational to assume you know someones motives when you don't have any information about the person.

It is a overwhelming and irrefutable as seeing people drinking bear and assuming you get super powers by doing so.

and you are going off on a tangent, after having been proven wrong about people able to control themselves you now attempt to push it into the realm of choice

The only guy who came close to disproving what i said was a guy talking about his cat..and he's post was 10000 times more interesting then your Ad Hominem filled rant.

You fail at logic...badly.

If self-control is to be relevant then it has to be a choice involved. Is there is no choice involved the it doesn't matter as the most you can do with it is determine who is broken and who is not.

...and you will be equally wrong there. even if people choose to make an instinctive or forced choice over a reasoned one it is still a choice. just because someone isn't capable perhaps of seeing that there are multiple choices does not remove or negate the fact that there was choice.

"Choice involves mentally making a decision: judging the merits of multiple options and selecting one or more of them".

That might help you understand better the word "choice". You can thank wikipedia for that.

There is no such thing as a forced choice. Is something is forced then it is not a choice.

As for "instinctive choices"..it's called following your instinct..it isn't a choice.

For something to be a choice then you must be aware that there is more then 1 option..think or not about it and decide what is better or more desirable.

all your arguments are disproved everyday, you refuse to see that because you prefer excuses and rationalizations...that is your choice. i prefer reality, that is my choice. you seem to want to have a catch all excuse for whatever you may want to do 'it's not my fault it was genetics/upbringing/my hamster ran away' whatever

You know nothing about me. You created a strawman and you keep trowing attributes and desires upon it.
    Reading a bunch of paranoid projections and baseless assumptions isn't fun.
    shirking responsibility for your actions or attempting to pass it off on something or someone elses fault is fairly common...so nothing about you or your excuses are special or new. you just have the somewhat ugly distinction of attempting to pass it off as if it was some kind of universal truth

You know as much about my actions as you know about logic, nothing.
    You're wrong about responsibility..if what i said is true then nothing changes in that regard.

sophistry and rationalizations only have a few places where they are welcome, politics being one...perhaps you should start thinking of a career in that. or as a televangelist.

If you keep posting you might end up using every fallacy.
    This was a nice rant about things you imagine i feel think or desire.
  • Options
    driveclubfandriveclubfan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The best thing you could do is say "Gifting [Special Requisition Pack - Scimitar Dreadnaught Warbird] to first one who PMs me!", making sure to link the pack in chat :D
    Then sit back and see chat going in flames, while you're overwhelmed by PMs.
  • Options
    zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You seem to have ESD chat confused with Organized Pakled Very Pakled chat. :confused:
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Quite frankly none of them would be in Starfleet for long.

i guess ESD is our Crossroads.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    torgaddon101torgaddon101 Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hypl wrote: »
    Khan,

Only half a dream.

It's not ESD, it's you.

The walrus is coming,

But you cannot hide.

Grab the bagel,

And run.

Do not look back.

what are u on?
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    what are u on?

the same stuff you're on, he's copying your writing style
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well this thread is certainly an interesting roller-coaster of discovery.
  • Options
    torgaddon101torgaddon101 Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    I've never seen anyone discussing gutters in ESD.

Usually they're just talking about sex. Often in a way that discloses the fact that they've never had any.

Sometimes they make bad Gorn jokes, too.

explain plz, what rock have u been under..?
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    that is absolutely bull****.

If you cannot control your behaviour then you have a mental illness or you were never taught properly by your parents.

the former can be treated via meds and the latter by therapy or a good old fashioned wooden spoon.

Meds don't help squat with a lot of mental illnesses, in fact in some cases it makes it a lot worse. Do you actually even know anything about the subject, because that's an immensely ignorant thing to say.

I won't even get started on the myriad of other reasons people can have for behaviour abnormalities or other difficulties aside from the overly simplified case you think it is.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This thread is a lot like esd. You've got the barely comprehensible ravings, like the OP. You're got gibberish, you've got somone trying to discuss something interesting (the free will guy), and idiots trying to shout him down.

Esd is at its best when people are talking about something that matters, like politics. Or something interesting, like philosophy.

No one has been able to prove, in any sense, that we have free will, that we are capable of making decisions that are different from the ones we make. But, everyone chooses to agree that we do. Or at least that it doesn't matter whether we do or not.

Hahaha yes it is.

Occasionally when I'm crafting, idle or just plain bored I'll crack open a can of beer, sit back and watch the ESD chat go by.

Ocasionally I'll wave cheerily at any unfortunate Dev that dares brave the ESD.

What can I say? It passes time and can be mildly entertaining.
  • Options
    johncampbell07johncampbell07 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rygelx16 wrote: »
    Because violence and name calling makes you so much better than them.

So send me to jail now and save the guilty from feeling the pain. Great answer. (sarc)

Frankly, it's about time someone showed them how to act respectably. Obviously their parents didn't do the job.
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Maybe we should invite the esd zonechatter to the forums to discuss the mating practices of the Iconians.

Think there are 2 or 3 threads on it now.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Earth Spacedock.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. You must be cautious.

Or collapse your chat box.

Nothing ever said on ESD is ever of any redeeming value, so it's best to simply pretend you are alone there.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited April 2015

4. swings and roundabouts... it will always come back and hit you.

You know that's not the correct usage for that saying right? the saying swings and roundabouts means give or take, ie in a job you might always start half an hour later because sometimes you get to go home half an hour earlier, that's swings and roundabouts. The phrase you are looking for is "what's comes around goes around".
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Freedom of speech doesn't apply to private forums - like a game owned by Cryptic/Perfecr World. It only keeps the government from censoring speech, not the owner of a forum.

I don't get why major MMOs don't just have mods to watch the big social zones and mute people who engage in hate speech. Hate speech adds nothing to the community.
  • Options
    ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    nadiezja wrote: »
    Freedom of speech doesn't apply to private forums - like a game owned by Cryptic/Perfecr World. It only keeps the government from censoring speech, not the owner of a forum.

I don't get why major MMOs don't just have mods to watch the big social zones and mute people who engage in hate speech. Hate speech adds nothing to the community.

My girlfriend has always felt that we should have to take IQ tests in order to play MMOs.

Obviously that would go a long way toward weeding out the undesirables who engage in this kind of behavior in the chat channels.

"You must have an IQ of 100 in order to play this game."

It works for height and carnival rides, why not maturity and MMOs?

;)

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    belidos wrote: »
    You know that's not the correct usage for that saying right? the saying swings and roundabouts means give or take, ie in a job you might always start half an hour later because sometimes you get to go home half an hour earlier, that's swings and roundabouts. The phrase you are looking for is "what's comes around goes around".
    My girlfriend has always felt that we should have to take IQ tests in order to play MMOs.

Obviously that would go a long way toward weeding out the undesirables who engage in this kind of behavior in the chat channels.

"You must have an IQ of 100 in order to play this game."

It works for height and carnival rides, why not maturity and MMOs?

;)
    Intelligence is no barrier to hate. An IQ test wouldn't help in the slightest.

I've known a lot of very smart bigots.
  • Options
    kaarruukaarruu Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited April 2015

That would have a negative effect on lockbox key sales, so no go.