test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Could the new Iconian set be any more OP?

darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
Two sets that enhance damage AND hull and shield?

Really?
Post edited by darramouss1 on

Comments

• jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015

Really?

For all you know it could be +5 to the stats and a 500 heal once per 4 minutes. Don't call it OP till you see the stats and see it in-game.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    For all you know it could be +5 to the stats and a 500 heal once per 4 minutes. Don't call it OP till you see the stats and see it in-game.

You make a well reasoned point. Bear in mind that this is Cryptic we're talking about. Just look at how progressively OP their stuff of late has been. Also, take in to consideration that this is Iconian, a story that has been years in the making. How can you think that it will be anything but OP?
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yay, more power creep!

More things that Do It All!

MOAR AP!!!
  • rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Really?

Don't worry, once you spend the time to get all of it, it will be dragged into an alley and viciously beat to death with the Spiked Nerf bat
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rimmarie wrote: »
    Don't worry, once you spend the time to get all of it, it will be dragged into an alley and viciously beat to death with the Spiked Nerf bat

Only after a sufficient number of people have spent Dil to get it.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just look at how progressively OP their stuff of late has been.
    Your own observation and answers the question: "Could the new Iconian set be any more OP?"

Yes it can, and probably will be.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    We've only just heard about the Iconian Reputation rewards and already people are crying out for nerfs.

Pathetic...
    edited April 2015
    I didn't call for nerfs. Nor has anyone else in this thread. We just pointed out that Cryptic is headed in their usual direction.

Maybe the 7 posts before yours were too much for you to read.
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    From the same OP who brought us 'Aux2BS' comes 'I Have No Idea What The Stats Actually Are But I'll Still Cry Up A Storm About Them.'

He'll be baiting all week. Enjoy the veal!
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
    edited April 2015
    Maybe the 7 posts before yours were too much for you to read.

Maybe the equipment stats are too much for you to read :rolleyes:

Perhaps try and wait for the specifics before crying OP!
    edited April 2015

You obviously have failed to see the progressive upscaling of shinies that Cryptic have released. That or you're a successfully brainwashed sheep. Good luck with that!!
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Oh come on this is Cryptic and their track record we're talking about. Thats like saying "Wait and see. We don't know if this particular fish will have gills like all the others." Cryptic will release this set with one or two of the traits particularly broken, it'll be crazy OP and a lot of people will buy it, DPSers will cheer while PVPers and pro-balance people will rant, then about 4 months in it'll be fixed (the way a dog gets fixed). Then season 11 will happen and the cycle will repeat. Expecting anything else is like saying "THIS time we can wage a land war in Asia!"
    edited April 2015
    Oh come on this is Cryptic and their track record we're talking about. Thats like saying "Wait and see. We don't know if this particular fish will have gills like all the others." Cryptic will release this set with one or two of the traits particularly broken, it'll be crazy OP and a lot of people will buy it, DPSers will cheer while PVPers and pro-balance people will rant, then about 4 months in it'll be fixed (the way a dog gets fixed). Then season 11 will happen and the cycle will repeat. Expecting anything else is like saying "THIS time we can wage a land war in Asia!"

PERFECTLY said.
    edited April 2015
    You obviously have failed to see the progressive upscaling of shinies that Cryptic have released. That or you're a successfully brainwashed sheep. Good luck with that!!

When you are too weak to withstand a debate, resort to insult
    Typical forumite tactic. :rolleyes:
    edited April 2015
    We've only just heard about the Iconian Reputation rewards and already people are crying out for nerfs.

Pathetic...
    When you are too weak to withstand a debate, resort to insult
    Typical forumite tactic. :rolleyes:

Pot. Kettle. Black.
    edited April 2015
    Pot. Kettle. Black.

Hey I never said I wasn't a forumite ;)

You say that the "new shiny" release is a recurring theme, well the same can be said for any MMO if you can't handle it shuttle bay is on deck 11 don't let the bay doors hit your massive bruised ego on the way out :rolleyes:
    edited April 2015

You say that the "new shiny" release is a recurring theme, well the same can be said for any MMO if you can't handle it shuttle bay is on deck 11 don't let the bay doors hit your massive bruised ego on the way out :rolleyes:

You really are a sheep. Good luck with that.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Not every Space/Weapon Set released in each subsequent Reputation had been that glaringly OP compared to the past sets. There's uses for the different ones but none of them I'd even dare to say are anything close to being "End All Be All" kind of sets for various builds. Even in the Exotic Dmg / Particle Generators department, you could say Solanae is ideal with good justifications but stuff like Dyson is still quite relevant for such a style.

Counter-Command parts have fans in the DPS department but outside that, it just fails.

Delta Space Set? Ugh... Well... Umm... Sure! Maybe? I'm sure someone out there likes it.

We will see when the stats are out.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited April 2015
    You really are a sheep. Good luck with that.

You keep complaining yet you keep playing :rolleyes:
    edited April 2015
    You keep complaining yet you keep playing :rolleyes:

Firstly, how do you know how much I play, secondly, this gear isn't released yet, thirdly, it's hard to hear you over the sound of your sheepish bleating.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Firstly, how do you know how much I play, secondly, this gear isn't released yet, thirdly, it's hard to hear you over the sound of your sheepish bleating.
    Insulting someone who has a different opinion than you is a real good way of showing how immature you are. Here's an idea for you: wait until the stats of the set is either released or known, and then continue with what you have been doing for the last hour in this thread. That is, if the stats reflect your fear.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Lets be honest here.. as others have said it would be a miracle if this thing was actually balanced compared to what else is out there. Cryptic has made it a money making tactic of making their newest rep stuff op compared to anything else they release... then just before the next rep comes out they'll nerf the old one and make the next one OP... it never changes... never has... never will. It's been this way since CoX for goodness sakes.

That said... could it be more OP... absolutly it could... and it probably will be for a while

But this is a money making tactic. They want people to play their content and to do so they want people to grind... so to make the grind worth while they HAVE to make this stuff better then anything we already have. It's a metrics thing and purposely designed this way.

Make no mistake about it... it's not incompetance... this is carefully balanced to make money and that's the only balance tactic they'll care about... making money.

What's even more interesting... is that we have a TRIBBLE ton of Delta Recruits coming up currently... and the only way to get the BNPs... through Advanced Queues... well done... force a bunch of underpowered underperformers just trying to get into the game to be forced into Advanced Queues that they're not ready for... well done and well though out.
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    On the second set, to get the "Advanced Radiant Hypercharge" you'll need to equip the Advanced Radiant Quantum Torpedo Launcher, as well as a "radiant antiproton directed energy weapon" that seems to only come in beam array and dual heavy cannon.

So yes, to answer the title question, this can be more OP. Off the top of my head and without even seeing the stats, I can see that it's able to be 'more OP' by making Radiant Antiproton available in dual beam banks.

On the first set, the four piece set bonus will require you equip a set warpcore, causing any ship but the advanced obelisk carrier to lose the 10% bonus to antiproton damage.

So, again, just off the top of my head, the first set could be made 'more OP' by replacing its warpcore with a unique console.
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Ok, I read the title of this and I thought "Seriously?!?"

This thing hasn't even been released, we don't have any real numbers on it, this is effectively a teaser for it and people are calling it overpowered?

Most of the recent sets haven't been inherently overpowered, they fill specific roles, usually it is a small percentage of min/maxers who capitalize on this and make builds which make them look absurdly overpowered.

Personally I haven't bothered with any of the newer sets, with the exception of the 2-piece with the Gravimetric Torpedo (even that I barely use anymore, because it's just not as impressive in practice as it looks on paper). The new Iconian sets will likely be a 'moderate' bonus to offense as well as defense, making it somewhat ineffective for min/maxers, but of some use to people who like to make 'all rounder' builds...

My $0.02
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Well everyone gets new shinies...so where is my Advanced Radiant Disruptor Cannons or my Advanced Radiant Plasma Torpedo? I mean since STO is just like any other MMO...while we're at it how about a Advanced Radiant Plasma Beam for my T6 Romulan Science ship?

Sorry but is isn't like any other MMO or least the ones I play...they don't just pick and choose what class or profession they like or faction for that matter that they think will make them the most money and just stack it on and neglect anything else.

Like WoW for example...you don't see a ton of super powerful swords and axes and maces neglected...You don't see them completely stacking the deck in WoW so it favors only one play style do you? I've never heard of a successful progressive raiding guild clear the latest Heroic or Mythic raid with 25 DPS...
  • chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    all this talk of sheep and forumites and bs and op...

if yr posting on the forums (<1% of STO population btw), yr already a STO fanboi...

be it white knight, sheep, troll, crier, qqer, "disenchanted", etc etc.

yr still a fanboi...well lets be pc here, "fanperson"

continue your qq and whiteknighting, people lol