Install Arc
Options

The server is not back up

13»

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I just logged into the game right now without any problems. There are currently 9 instances just a Sol, so it is not devoid of people.

If someone is not getting in I would run a TraceRt, and if that shows up OK I would look at your Firewalls to see if something is blocking access from your computer to the Server.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    gb1dtfgb1dtf Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    seems to be getting worse here cannot even connect to patch server now
  • Options
    iusassetiusasset Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I just logged into the game right now without any problems. There are currently 9 instances just a Sol, so it is not devoid of people.

If someone is not getting in I would run a TraceRt, and if that shows up OK I would look at your Firewalls to see if something is blocking access from your computer to the Server.

Timing out after the 11th jump (vis-a-vis cogent, surprise surprise...).
  • Options
    sakaisevensakaiseven Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Was able to play for an hour this afternoon post patch, now I can't log in again. wtf.....
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited April 2015

um, no.

If we were fine pre-today, it's not us.

No, it's just a lot of traffic, and we're getting throttled.

It's really annoying when people say "Have you thought of your connection or firewall" when we're logged on and constantly lagging or told we can't connect to the account server. The fact that we can find the account server but not connect to it, or that we're even in the game but experiencing massive lag en mass suggests another problem. In this case, it's most likely Cogent as they throttle a bloody lot.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    um, no.

If we were fine pre-today, it's not us.

No, it's just a lot of traffic, and we're getting throttled.

It's really annoying when people say "Have you thought of your connection or firewall" when we're logged on and constantly lagging or told we can't connect to the account server. The fact that we can find the account server but not connect to it, or that we're even in the game but experiencing massive lag en mass suggests another problem. In this case, it's most likely Cogent as they throttle a bloody lot.
    There are only 4 possible mechanical problems: the Server, Cogent, the player's ISP, or the player's computer. The point is that the first thing people need to do is check the things on their end which can be checked. In this instance that is the ISP and Computer. That way you do not have threads about the "Server" still not being back up.

The Server and Cogent are beyond the player's ability to fix; but not every problem has to be related to Cogent or the Server. 3 times over the years Cryptic has changed the patching for the Launcher and my Firewall has blocked it, making it impossible for me to access the game. Not everyone might run their Firewalls as high as I do, but it is still something people need to check if they are having a problem. And TraceRts can detect ISP problems. Both of those things take about a minute to check.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    iusassetiusasset Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There are only 4 possible mechanical problems: the Server, Cogent, the player's ISP, or the player's computer. The point is that the first thing people need to do is check the things on their end which can be checked. In this instance that is the ISP and Computer. That way you do not have threads about the "Server" still not being back up.

The Server and Cogent are beyond the player's ability to fix; but not every problem has to be related to Cogent or the Server. 3 times over the years Cryptic has changed the patching for the Launcher and my Firewall has blocked it, making it impossible for me to access the game. Not everyone might run their Firewalls as high as I do, but it is still something people need to check if they are having a problem. And TraceRts can detect ISP problems. Both of those things take about a minute to check.

I can't speak for others, but if I'm posting about connectivity issues on a public forum (after I've also submitted a support ticket for said issue), it's because I've already checked to see if it's on my end.

Totally agree, however, that sometimes these are issues that aren't just beyond the player's power, but Cryptic's as well (they're not the ones directing traffic through the pipelines, after all).
This discussion has been closed.