test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starship schematics/plans

aries73321aries73321 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
Is there anywhere you can find schematics and/or plan views of some of the STO specific ships? I'm mainly interested in the Varanus and Mat'Ha.

I like to build models and have been thinking of building some models of the ships I play in STO to display near my computer. I mostly stick with canon ships so I can take advantage of existing model kits, but would like to try to kitbash or scratchbuild a Varanus and Mat'ha, but it's tough doing up plans with just screencaps to work with.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• flyingshoeboxflyingshoebox Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have no idea of the devs every got that involved in the ship designs. The other thing to remember is that the ships don’t scale uniformly. From what I remember the devs saying it would make it hard to spot the small one in relation to the large ones since they run such a large gamut of sizes.

Something you might try is loading up the sto models you want in a 3d program and scaling them there to suit the scale that best fits with your after.
  • aries73321aries73321 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have no idea of the devs every got that involved in the ship designs. The other thing to remember is that the ships don’t scale uniformly. From what I remember the devs saying it would make it hard to spot the small one in relation to the large ones since they run such a large gamut of sizes.

Something you might try is loading up the sto models you want in a 3d program and scaling them there to suit the scale that best fits with your after.

Thanks. I'm working in 1/2500 scale. For most of the ships, there is a chart in Wiki which gives some sizes and for the rest, I'm working with what makes most sense. For the Mat'ha for example, I feel it should be a moderately sized ship, so I'm putting it at 350 meters, which is a little smaller than the Qin, which is given at 400 meters. So the Mat'ha model would be more less the size of a Galaxy class saucer.

I would love to load the STO models into a 3D program, but I have no idea how to do that!

There were a couple of models up on Shapeways, but they seem to have been taken down, and nothing at for the KDF has been done so far.
  • flyingshoeboxflyingshoebox Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It’s been such a long time since I messed with getting or loading bits into games. The only 2 games I messed 3d stuff on was freelancer and x 2 or 3. With those it was more about putting what I had made into them rather than extracting items. I did fiddle with sto a wee bit but mostly with champions textures to make my own costumes. With that it was just extract the image files from the hog file and make new maps to put in their place.

Since I never did anything with 3d on sto, I’m just guessing here. Ideally you’d just again extract the files and then load them up or more than likely covert them into something your 3d program can understand. I’ve heard of other ways to yank out file also but I’m even less familiar with them. As for where to get the tools to do any of this I don’t know if it’s ok to post it. I did do a few quick google searches that had some promising leads. So I don’t expect it to be hard to find. I’d say google search for something like extracting meshes or models from sto and hog files.