test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Age gripe again, please devs, pay attention!**Delta Spoilers**

tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
I'm going to try and be as generic as possible but it might still be a spoiler, you've been warned twice now. No complaining about it if something gets spoiled for you.

So you may be red my complaint about Temporal Agent Philip Crey looking like a 20/30 year old despite being (physically) 67 years old. That's not what this post is about, but it's similar. Just did the one mission where I made a suggestion to a character in the past. It's hinting this character will play a part later on... please, don't forget that this character will be 113 years old in 2410. PLEASE devs, let him look and age like a 113 year old person.

Yes, I know people live longer, but that doesn't mean they look and act younger then they really are. This is one of my main complaints sense day 1 with the game, bring back known characters just for the nostalgic factor despite how foolish it is to have them in. When done right, it works but when you have the character looking, sounding, and acting outside of what they should and ignore every detail about that character it isn't being done right.
Post edited by tilarium1979 on

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Bones was 137 in TNG and looked like someone in their 70s so it would make sense for someone 113 years old in the 25th Century to look like someone in their 50s due to the many medical advancements that the Federation has. Also, Bones didn't take any shortcuts to get to the TNG era unlike Kirk and Scotty.
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Bones was 137 in TNG and looked like someone in their 70s
    He didn't look a day under 120.

They went overboard with that old-age makeup.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Heh, Fraiser was his captain on the Bozeman. That guy was sitting on a barstool in Boston, next to a Battle of Hoth Veteran in 1985, on Cheers.

Temporal science is weird,;)
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm going to try and be as generic as possible but it might still be a spoiler, you've been warned twice now. No complaining about it if something gets spoiled for you.

So you may be read my complaint about Temporal Agent Philip Crey looking like a 20/30 year old despite being (physically) 67 years old. That's not what this post is about, but it's similar. Just did the one mission where I made a suggestion to a character in the past. It's hinting this character will play a part later on... please, don't forget that this character will be 113 years old in 2410. PLEASE devs, let him look and age like a 113 year old person.

Yes, I know people live longer, but that doesn't mean they look and act younger then they really are. This is one of my main complaints sense day 1 with the game, bring back known characters just for the nostalgic factor despite how foolish it is to have them in. When done right, it works but when you have the character looking, sounding, and acting outside of what they should and ignore every detail about that character it isn't being done right.

the thing is that Crey wasnt a canon character from the Bozeman, i never saw an african type character on the bridge of the Bozeman, that means that as far as sto canon goes, crey could of been a cadet who go caught in the loop for 90 years as a 17 year old cadet, he emerged from the loop 2368 to resume his new life a few years before the dominion war started up, 42 years later, 59 years old and he is there helping your character head through to the past to warn your past self.

From the way Captain Bateson described it, he went through the anomaly and came out the other side not having a clue about anything any more, he had no idea that 90 years had passed, and because it was a temporal paradox time wouldnt of made any real difference to those trapped in it compared to typical time, they were in effect frozen in time. So how this made Crey and the Bozeman crew experts on time travel without really knowing, i dont know, but the minimum age limit he would be is 58 years old because that would of made him 16 years old on the Bozeman as a cadet. if he were a any typical early 20's officer on the ship he would be in his late 60's.

for crey hes around the right look for his age.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    Heh, Fraiser was his captain on the Bozeman. That guy was sitting on a barstool in Boston, next to a Battle of Hoth Veteran in 1985, on Cheers.

Temporal science is weird,;)

HAHA! You sound like my grandmother, she always referred to characters by the actor and shows by (one of) the main actor(s). Thanks for the chuckle!

starkaos wrote: »
    Bones was 137 in TNG and looked like someone in their 70s so it would make sense for someone 113 years old in the 25th Century to look like someone in their 50s due to the many medical advancements that the Federation has. Also, Bones didn't take any shortcuts to get to the TNG era unlike Kirk and Scotty.

Wow, he looked 70, really? He looked OVER 137, they really over did the makeup on him, but Bones always looked older then usual, so it's cool. If he's in a future episode (I really hope he isn't) then at least let him look like a 113 year old man.

IF he is in it, remember he's an old man, he shouldn't be running around on the front lines. Keep him in the back, working on theories and projects but not fighting along side the player.
    the thing is that Crey wasnt a canon character from the Bozeman, i never saw an african type character on the bridge of the Bozeman, that means that as far as sto canon goes, crey could of been a cadet who go caught in the loop for 90 years as a 17 year old cadet, he emerged from the loop 2368 to resume his new life a few years before the dominion war started up, 42 years later, 59 years old and he is there helping your character head through to the past to warn your past self.

From the way Captain Bateson described it, he went through the anomaly and came out the other side not having a clue about anything any more, he had no idea that 90 years had passed, and because it was a temporal paradox time wouldnt of made any real difference to those trapped in it compared to typical time, they were in effect frozen in time. So how this made Crey and the Bozeman crew experts on time travel without really knowing, i dont know, but the minimum age limit he would be is 58 years old because that would of made him 16 years old on the Bozeman as a cadet. if he were a any typical early 20's officer on the ship he would be in his late 60's.

for crey hes around the right look for his age.

Really? He looks like someone that is 67 years old? I've said before and I'll say again, medical science may keep people alive longer but it doesn't slow the aging process. Someone that is in his late 60s should look like someone in his 60s, not someone in his 30s. By that logic, then Picard is close to 120 years old in TNG sense he looked like he was in his 60s. As for Crey, actually, we know his history, at least age wise. He tells us that he's 157 years old, 90 of which was trapped in the Typone Expanse aboard the USS Bozemenm which he served on as an Ensign. So there is no he could have been 17, he TELLS us. So, 157 years old minus the 90 in the Expanse (where time didn't pass) puts him at 67 years old. Doing more math we subtract his age of 67 by 41 years that have passed sense the Bozemen was rescued from the Expanse puts him at 26 when he entered it. I'm going to give the devs credit, lately they have been making the legacy (read that as cast members of the shows) characters looking right.. for the most part. They did an amazing job with Tuvok, with the Doctor and especially with Harry Kim. Want to know what a 60 year old man should look like? Look at the 2410 Harry Kim, who is 61 years old.

I'm not arguing that it isn't possible for humans to be that old in the 25th century, it's very possible and likely. What I am arguing is that aging doesn't slow down, when they are 113 years old they are still going to look 113. That when they are 113 years old they will likely not be on the front lines of a war because they are not as physically capable of someone in their 60s (like modern day Harry) or 70s (like action hero Picard from the movies). And no, I'm not being sarcastic with that last bit, it's very plausable that they are still going strong into their 60s, 70s and 80s but would expect people to start slowing down in their 90s.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    HAHA! You sound like my grandmother, she always referred to characters by the actor and shows by (one of) the main actor(s). Thanks for the chuckle!

Wow, he looked 70, really? He looked OVER 137, they really over did the makeup on him, but Bones always looked older then usual, so it's cool. If he's in a future episode (I really hope he isn't) then at least let him look like a 113 year old man.

IF he is in it, remember he's an old man, he shouldn't be running around on the front lines. Keep him in the back, working on theories and projects but not fighting along side the player.

Really? He looks like someone that is 67 years old? I've said before and I'll say again, medical science may keep people alive longer but it doesn't slow the aging process. Someone that is in his late 60s should look like someone in his 60s, not someone in his 30s. By that logic, then Picard is close to 120 years old in TNG sense he looked like he was in his 60s. As for Crey, actually, we know his history, at least age wise. He tells us that he's 157 years old, 90 of which was trapped in the Typone Expanse aboard the USS Bozemenm which he served on as an Ensign. So there is no he could have been 17, he TELLS us. So, 157 years old minus the 90 in the Expanse (where time didn't pass) puts him at 67 years old. Doing more math we subtract his age of 67 by 41 years that have passed sense the Bozemen was rescued from the Expanse puts him at 26 when he entered it. I'm going to give the devs credit, lately they have been making the legacy (read that as cast members of the shows) characters looking right.. for the most part. They did an amazing job with Tuvok, with the Doctor and especially with Harry Kim. Want to know what a 60 year old man should look like? Look at the 2410 Harry Kim, who is 61 years old.

I'm not arguing that it isn't possible for humans to be that old in the 25th century, it's very possible and likely. What I am arguing is that aging doesn't slow down, when they are 113 years old they are still going to look 113. That when they are 113 years old they will likely not be on the front lines of a war because they are not as physically capable of someone in their 60s (like modern day Harry) or 70s (like action hero Picard from the movies). And no, I'm not being sarcastic with that last bit, it's very plausable that they are still going strong into their 60s, 70s and 80s but would expect people to start slowing down in their 90s.

Picard was in his 50's when he commanded the ent-d based off Patrick Stewart's real age at the time just for the sake of that arguement.

i didnt notice his age too much, if he were 157 that would be subtracted 42 years alone. that would of made him 115 by the time he went through to the future from the past, the 90 years didnt exist, but to the outside thats how long he was trapped in time for. i really dont like time travel episodes, apart from the krenim episodes which are easy to dismiss as never existing in the first place, its difficult to nail down a point.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2015/01/telomere-extension-turns-back-aging-clock-in-cultured-cells.html

Here is some info on today's aging research and how it can be slowed down.

This not an issue for me to believe his age.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg