test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

It's time to fix existing bugs and imbalances instead of releasing more content

skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
First off, I realize releasing new content like starships, etc. is one of the main ways that you make money off of this game.

The problem is that you are releasing all of this new content on top of existing bugs and imbalanced mechanics, and this content contains its own bugs and imbalances and all of these problems just keep piling up on top of each other. You may make money by releasing new content, but you are losing potential customers that would pay for this content because they are fed up with the bugs and imbalances never being addressed and/or taking many months/years to be addressed.

Almost everyone on my friend's list has stopped playing STO because of these issues, and the ones that are left refuse to spend money on a company that treats its customers' concerns with such disdain.

It's time to take a break from the constant content-money-grab-spam and spend a month (or however long it takes) to fix the major bugs and imbalances in this game. If not, your playerbase will eventually reach such low levels that buying the new content will not sustain the costs of keeping the game afloat.

I urge you guys to do this before it is past the point of no return.
Post edited by skurf on

Comments

• borgified007borgified007 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    But you see Cryptic doesn't care about existing players and their experience. All they are trying to do now is replace the playerbase with new delta recruits - I mean new Wallets.
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Good luck; we're going back-to-back with major events until probably August.

Currently we have the D.Recruit event, which leads directly into S10 and all the wonderful bugs, glitches, and toys that comes with it, and shortly after, Risian Summer Event.

That leaves a few months before the Winter Event in which Cryptic "could" do a major bugfixing spree. Still, expect some events scattered about, whether it's FE reruns or queue events.

They did mention that Summer and Winter Events usually allow them to do some bugfixes, as most of the content is already there and it's just a matter of ensuring those work smoothly, then squeeze out a few more bugfixes. They did do a number of bugfixes during the Winter Event and Anniversary, besides the ones related to the events themselves. The Patch notes on fixes and adjustments were bigger then than they are currently, during the lead up into S10.

The bigger issue is that Cryptic needs a dedicated quality control and bugfixing staff, but don't seem to have the funds and support, or have upper management provide the funds and support, that's needed.
  • admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So you would have the types of developers (art, design, so on) that aren't involved in the programming that resolves bugs just sit there and twiddle their thumbs?

Once again someone thinks that a dev is just a generic role... Different people do different jobs, it isn't a simple matter of "Hey, don't work on that. Fix bugs! Derp derp derp"
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You might think stopping development of new content to focus solely on fixing bugs might be a good idea... It's just not...

If Cryptic stopped rolling out new content to fix all the bugs in the game, the development cycle would balloon out to a ridiculous time-frame and soon the game would be shut down as people would stop playing...

Why would they stop playing? Because there was no new content developed...

The very blunt truth is that there are no real game-breaking bugs... There are many which are downright annoying (AWOL Boffs is my current bug bear), but nothing that demands immediate attention less it stop your ability to play STO entirely... Many have also existed far longer than they should have...

However, stopping all new development and moving the development team (many of whom have nothing to do with coding the game engine, and the various bugged features etc, so they would contribute nothing anyway) onto solely fixing bugs, will kill the game in pretty short order as bug fixing is more costly and time consuming than people actually realise...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So you would have the types of developers (art, design, so on) that aren't involved in the programming that resolves bugs just sit there and twiddle their thumbs?
    They could work on the next year's worth of ship skins and costumes.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Oh lord these devils advocates and their logical fallacies I swear.

No no one thinks that devs all serve one role what they are saying since some people don't have reading comprehension down, is that they need to fix the bugs that have been there since beta. /picardfacepalm at having to explain that AGAIN.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    skurf wrote: »
    <cryptic drop this for that or i will spread DOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!11!!1!!>

Cryptic does what it wants when it wants, your enetitlement claim will make no difference to them or their time table.

content release is their main point, if they stop releasing content they will know for sure that players will stop playing before long when their metrics scale doesnt match up with the figures PWE want them at. these people are looking out for their own necks and their pay packet each month, they are not going to put that in risk because you ask them to.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Remove pvp and the whinebalance will go. Simple.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Once again someone thinks that a dev is just a generic role... Different people do different jobs, it isn't a simple matter of "Hey, don't work on that. Fix bugs! Derp derp derp"
    imruined wrote: »
    You might think stopping development of new content to focus solely on fixing bugs might be a good idea... It's just not...

If Cryptic stopped rolling out new content to fix all the bugs in the game, the development cycle would balloon out to a ridiculous time-frame and soon the game would be shut down as people would stop playing...

Why would they stop playing? Because there was no new content developed...

However, stopping all new development and moving the development team (many of whom have nothing to do with coding the game engine, and the various bugged features etc, so they would contribute nothing anyway) onto solely fixing bugs, will kill the game in pretty short order as bug fixing is more costly and time consuming than people actually realise...

Can we stop dismissing requests to fix bugs with extreme arguments like this and actually have a serious discussion about the large number of bugs in this game? First of all, the art and design teams can fix bugs, but only bugs which fall in their area of expertise. I'm pretty sure I've seen posts by tacofangs, crypticjoejing, and borticus saying that they fixed some bug or other. Yes, some bugs require a programmer to fix. Maybe, management should give more time to the programmers to do that.

Obviously, Cryptic isn't going to stop all development on new content. But is it really too much to ask that they shift more resources toward bug fixing? Is constantly rushing out new content really the best way to generate profit? What about the customers who left because they can't stand the bugs? What about the increased cost of new development due to existing bugs? It's much harder to build on top of a broken system than a working one.
    The very blunt truth is that there are no real game-breaking bugs... There are many which are downright annoying (AWOL Boffs is my current bug bear), but nothing that demands immediate attention less it stop your ability to play STO entirely... Many have also existed far longer than they should have...

What qualifies as a "game-breaking bug"? And are those the only bugs that deserved to be fixed? I think bugs which annoy thousands of players every day, such as bridge officers getting removed from their stations, should to be fixed. Cryptic spends time on QoL features such as the "Simple Ship Transition" that nobody asked for.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9055513

I think the time spent implementing that feature could have been better spent fixing some of the QoL bugs. If I recall correctly, nobody asked for loadouts either. It sounded like a great feature when they first announced, but after all the problems with it, I think most players would prefer that they had spent the time elsewhere.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • jjdezjjdez Member Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    zathri83 wrote: »

Yes, because with no pvp all anyone needs is a tac rom in a scimitar for max deeps. Would be great for balance.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jjdez wrote: »
    Yes, because with no pvp all anyone needs is a tac rom in a scimitar for max deeps. Would be great for balance.
    I know this might be difficult to believe but most of the non-PvPers could not care less about steam-rolling things. The vast majority of foes in this game can be destroyed with 6k DPS. There is no need for 40k ships if you are not constantly competing against other players with 40k ships.

The majority of players in this game are not here for PvP, and even with a PvE majority the Roms are still the smallest Faction. That tells me the PvEers are not playing Roms simply because they do not wish to play a Rom, not matter what the Scimitar can do.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I love how people see ad read what they want to see and read...

if you actually read what the op said, he was stating that we have a plethora of bugs and what not, and that adding new content usually piles more on top of that.. he wants them to play catch up on the TRIBBLE that is in game, before introducing more problems.. he never said all hands on deck should be working on bugs.. he just stated that they need to get the problems in game fixed before they add more..

true fact, anything, and I mean anything cryptic has released in game has somehow broken (bugs, or inbalance) something (s) currently in game, and since they only address say 20 percent of the problems per release, the pile is growing. we have bugs still from launch in the game for crying out loud.

I agree with the op, they need to actually fix whats there and start shoveling the TRIBBLE out, before they add other potential problems.

as far as making art people fix bugs and what not, well there is plenty of problems with the work they have done.. there is a whole thread in the forums on inaacuracies, and bugs with meshes and various artwork. there is a lot that all of the devs (in the respective roles) could do to better the existing game.
  • solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is absurd since no new content would ever be released.
    :D
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There is no doubt that there are bugs which need to be fixed. But at the same time there are a lot of us who have been Content-starved for a very long time. So recommending they stop making Content when they, generally, only put out like 3 Missions per year seems like a very rough choice.

I mean if they were putting out 2 Missions a month I can see people asking them to slow down to focus on something else but when you only see a new Mission every 3-4 months it is not just easy to want them to stop making them. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • minababeminababe Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Almost everyone on my friend's list has stopped playing STO because of these issues, and the ones that are left refuse to spend money on a company that treats its customers' concerns with such disdain.

The people on your friends' lists may have stopped playing STO for many reasons. They may have quit out of burnout (the game has been out for five years, which is a looooong time by gaming standards). They may have quit for offline reasons (sickness, work, new parenting responsibilities). They may have quit because there's another game they have become obsessed with or they just want to take a break for awhile.

Or...they may have quit precisely because there isn't enough content to satisfy them, which is why Cryptic is pushing out all this content in the first place.
    My Foundry Mission--Name: Falling Star | Mission ID: HQIH36HAW | Faction: FED
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Another point to make, is that most of the development team don't do bug fixes. It's not just coders, there are artists, writers and people who focus on very specific things in the game... UI... ships... AI (lol) etc etc.

One part of the team may be working on things totally different from the rest. That's just how things work, also some of the bugs we have are fundamental issues with the game engine which was never suited to STO. Those are likely to never be fixed, just have workarounds and temporary fixes until something else breaks it later down the line.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2015
    The loadout Bug is the worst Bug in the game and should be fixed asap

The content problem is cryptic has decided 1 play episodes is end game content which is the same as buying a book

most people read it once and there done with it ......A huge investment for a one time use

What cryptic should do is end game content where the players make the content themselves

Exploration
    meeting new races then interacting with them
    colonization
    base building / defense
    city building / defense
    territory control / defense
    Faction expansion
    resourse gathering
    player economy

This should be done on a single player level which should combine flawlessly with fleets

This kind of content would be replayable on a daily basis and be end game content
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • inexplicabletiminexplicabletim Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    zathri83 wrote: »

What pvp? No one is pvp'ing in this game.
  • makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited April 2015

You really have no idea at all what the OP is saying, do you? Is english not your fist language? Bug fixes need to be moved to the top of the list over content and ships. Obviously the art dept. can't do this, thanks for stating that. it doesn't change anything.
    -Makbure
  • ufpdewolfeufpdewolfe Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There will always be bugs, they will never go away.
  • ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The typical computer gamer expects a games existing content and mechanics to be in fully working order. How anyone can consider calls for fixing bugs as unreasonable, is beyond me. If major issues don't get fixed, you lose paying customers. It's not like there is a drought of mmos (or games in general) on the market.

It goes without saying that a computer game needs to be free of bugs hampering ones gaming experience. In addition, an MMO may need a somewhat constant flux of new content. Neglecting above points leads to desertion of customers. And Cryptic already has alienated tons of customers with bugs + their ramifications.

If for a potential new customer, the already available 100 playable starships and missions, 50 uniforms isn't much of a selling point, is one more additional ship and one more uniform or one more mission supposed to impress them? When some major bug prevents that customer to enjoy the game in the first place?

The harm has already been done. People already moved on to other games, revenue has been lost. If Cryptic lacks coders, they should hire more coders.
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There's always work to be done.

Those in the Art Department can fix the many textures on the many ships
    Those in the Design Department could maybe (re)design DS9, K7, First City (inc Klingon Academy)

Just examples, but there's always work to be done, whether that's actual fixes, or mere improvements; improvements don't need to be new content, touched up or revamped content is equally as welcomed. :)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
    edited April 2015
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Can we stop dismissing requests to fix bugs with extreme arguments like this and actually have a serious discussion about the large number of bugs in this game?
    Absolutely... When people stop advocating the shutdown of content development in favour of bug fixing... The two are not mutually exclusive...

Can Cryptic do better QA? Yes... Does that mean stopping all content development until they fix all the bugs? No... The irony is the OP is blaming bugs for a loss of players, personally I highly doubt his anecdotal evidence is anything close to the real reason...
    It's time to take a break from the constant content-money-grab-spam and spend a month (or however long it takes) to fix the major bugs and imbalances in this game. If not, your playerbase will eventually reach such low levels that buying the new content will not sustain the costs of keeping the game afloat.
    jellico1 wrote: »
    What cryptic should do is end game content where the players make the content themselves

They have, it's called The Foundry....
    jellico1 wrote: »
    Exploration
    meeting new races then interacting with them
    colonization
    base building / defense
    city building / defense
    territory control / defense
    Faction expansion
    resourse gathering
    player economy

This should be done on a single player level which should combine flawlessly with fleets

This kind of content would be replayable on a daily basis and be end game content

So, in other words, you want STO to become Eve Online?

edited April 2015
    Double post...

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    STO players are like Starship captains. They want everything right now and they want it their way. The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want.
    We need stable servers...

Need I say more? :rolleyes: :P
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • xolannexolanne Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Even being a lifetime member, and playing since day 1 apparently I do not have permission to create a new thread. And I'm not sure where to post this so I am guessing here.

Here is my story:
    One of my characters recently developed a problem. Seemingly out of nowhere. I'm just doing the challenge crystaline entity like I've done a million times before, but everything shot at me goes straight through my shields. Its like they are not even there. In fact, this happens on the challenge azure nebula and challenge borg disconnected as well 100% of the time. I've tried changing my shield to several different shields of several different qualities and MK levels (Mk XIV, Mk XIII, Mk XII, Mk X and Mk II) none of them work. I've tried changing bridge officers, I've even tried using Aegis shields. The Aegis shield proc still goes off, but 100% of the damage completely bypasses shields and goes straight to hull.

This is only on Challenge space missions. Normal space missions work fine confirmed on NON-challenge (single chevron) missions: Borg Disconnected, Starbase Defense, Azure Nebula, Crystaline Entity, Undine Assault and probably some more. All of my other characters have no problems either. Just that single character.

I submitted a ticket and customer service pretty much told me to go F-myself. And suggested that I post here. Maybe there is something I am missing? It shows I have full shields in the UI, and the values in the character window during these missions seems correct. And they used to work without any item or bridge officer changes. It just magically stopped working on time and hasn't worked since. It has been about a week now.

The character is question is Tala@Xolia she is an Andorian Federation Tactical character. She is using a Fleet Tactical Escort Retrofit. I've tried several shields all of which have the problem, but she was using the Aegis Mk XIV shield at the first time I noticed it. It was a shield I have used for quite some time without any problems before it happened.

I really don't want to use another ship either as the Fleet Tactical Escort Retrofit has been my goal for months. I couldn't imagine abandoning it (not to mention the cost of obtaining it).

I'm pretty desperate so I'm open to any and all suggestions.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    imruined wrote: »
    Absolutely... When people stop advocating the shutdown of content development in favour of bug fixing... The two are not mutually exclusive...

Can Cryptic do better QA? Yes... Does that mean stopping all content development until they fix all the bugs?

I have never advocated that they stop all new development. But I have complained multiple times about Cryptic's lack of quality control. Note that I say "quality control" and not "QA", because I don't believe QA is entirely at fault, though they do share some blame. It's true that QA doesn't catch as many bugs as they should. But the people who actually make stuff---whether they be programmers, artists, writers, or system designers---need to stop producing so many bugs in the first place. Every release, I see new bugs introduced. Some bugs are fixed, and the rest remain indefinitely. The quality of the game is slowly deteriorating because of the steady accumulation of bugs. I don't see how the situation can improve unless they produce fewer bugs each release in addition to fixing the existing bugs.

I don't understand why these discussions always revolve around the same tired arguments.

1. Cryptic should stop all development on new content until the bugs are fixed.

We all know this isn't going to happen. However, I do think they aren't devoting enough resources to bug fixing. And I'm not the only one, judging by the number of people asking for bug fixes in Cryptic's last poll.

2. Artists, writers, etc. can't fix bugs

Sure they can. They can fix bugs in their own domain. Artists fix art bugs. Writers fix typos.

3. There are no game-breaking bugs.

Whenever someone says this, I wonder what he means by "game-breaking". The servers crashing? Is everything fine just because the servers are running? There are plenty of bugs of lesser severity that affect a large percentage of the population. The boff station bug is the most prominent one right now, but there are others. There are bugs in the game mechanics. There are quality-of-life bugs, such the camera zooming in very close to the ship.

4. The bugs in the game are trivial.

Whenever someone says this, I wonder what he means by "trivial". A typo? An art bug? There are plenty of bugs that I don't consider trivial. See point 3 above. And while bugs like typos, art errors, and improperly drawn UI elements are not terribly important, they do add up. Each of these bugs is a minor annoyance individually, but together they make the game look shoddy. It's as if we live in a house with chipped paint, cracked mirrors, and leaky faucets. In general, I think the game shows poor workmanship.

5. QA misses some bugs, because they are hard to reproduce.

While this is undoubtedly true, they also miss other bugs that are easy to reproduce. Many of the bugs reported by players are reproducible every time. QA should have caught these bugs first.

6. The programmers can't fix a bug, because they can't reproduce it.

Does this mean they can't reproduce it at all or just not every time? While some bugs are reproducible only some of the time, that does not necessarily mean they are rare. Even a bug that occurs only 10% of the time is common enough to be reproducible. While this makes a bug harder to fix, it doesn't mean they should just abandon all efforts to fix it. I think Cryptic tends to abandon bugs whose solution is not immediately obvious. I suspect this is what happened with the boff station bug. As far as I know, flyingtarg was the last person to work on it. I think he's been reassigned to the item update project.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    We need balance passes and bug fixes.

Otherwise, what's the point in getting a new ship? Just to FAW something faster? FAW it down with pretty new effects?

Buff existing abilities, make more builds viable and appealing.
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    xolanne wrote: »
    Even being a lifetime member, and playing since day 1 apparently I do not have permission to create a new thread.
    You may need to hit a minimum post threshold before being allowed to post a new thread, so that spammers can't just create a new account and instantly start posting new threads.
    xolanne wrote: »
    The Aegis shield proc still goes off, but 100% of the damage completely bypasses shields and goes straight to hull.

I'm pretty desperate so I'm open to any and all suggestions.
    The only way you could get anyone to confirm your account would be to provide a combat log. Someone experienced in the arcane art of parsing the log would be able to confirm that your shields are actually being hit.

It's also entirely possible that Cryptic intentionally or unintentionally changed something. They make stealth changes all the time. Well, "stealth" to the vast majority of players.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
    edited April 2015
    I have never advocated that they stop all new development.

No, you may not have, but the OP did...
    But I have complained multiple times about Cryptic's lack of quality control. Note that I say "quality control" and not "QA", because I don't believe QA is entirely at fault, though they do share some blame. It's true that QA doesn't catch as many bugs as they should.

Quality Control and Quality Assurance are branches of the same process, QA is proactive while QC is reactive, but both could indeed be better... You are merely quibbling over semantics though...
    But the people who actually make stuff---whether they be programmers, artists, writers, or system designers---need to stop producing so many bugs in the first place. Every release, I see new bugs introduced. Some bugs are fixed, and the rest remain indefinitely.
    The quality of the game is slowly deteriorating because of the steady accumulation of bugs. I don't see how the situation can improve unless they produce fewer bugs each release in addition to fixing the existing bugs.

This is entirely a matter of opinion... The overal quality of STO has remained roughly the same since I started playing a couple years ago...

There has always been bugs, and will always be bugs... Again, QA could be better, but even then, bugs will occur...
    I don't understand why these discussions always revolve around the same tired arguments.

Because people keep pulling out the same tired arguments for how and why bugs should be fixed, usually with a total lack of understanding of how an MMO is developed and how the QA process itself works...
    1. Cryptic should stop all development on new content until the bugs are fixed.

We all know this isn't going to happen. However, I do think they aren't devoting enough resources to bug fixing. And I'm not the only one, judging by the number of people asking for bug fixes in Cryptic's last poll.

Funnily enough, I don't recall bug fixes to be the highest item on that list of 5 (IIRC) choices... In fact, I believe it was last and well behind the reintroduction of Exploration Missions and new Episodes, which were a clear first and second respectively...

Yes, there is call for more bug fixing, but it's apparently not the most important factor for the majority of players when it comes to how Cryptic can improve STO...
    2. Artists, writers, etc. can't fix bugs

Sure they can. They can fix bugs in their own domain. Artists fix art bugs. Writers fix typos.

And when was the last time someone took to the forums ranting about a typo or that a particular art element needed immediate attention?

*crickets*

Anybody?

*crickets*

No?

*crickets*

Then I'm guessing bugs related to the game engine, and general game mechanics are the major concern, meaning graphics artists and story writers aren't going to be able to contribute much to bug fixing...
    3. There are no game-breaking bugs.

Whenever someone says this, I wonder what he means by "game-breaking". The servers crashing? Is everything fine just because the servers are running? There are plenty of bugs of lesser severity that affect a large percentage of the population. The boff station bug is the most prominent one right now, but there are others. There are bugs in the game mechanics. There are quality-of-life bugs, such the camera zooming in very close to the ship.

A game breaking bug is a bug that, by it's very nature, makes it impossible to play a game or to progress beyond a certain point...

A bug that stops you progressing through the episodes could be considered 'game breaking' in a linear story-driven game...

Since no such bugs exist in STO, there are no 'game breaking bugs'... The statement is entirely valid...

Are there bugs? Yes, but nothing that makes the game unplayable... Most are, at worst, extremely frustrating and will negatively impact your enjoyment but none of the existing bugs will prevent you from playing any existing element of STO...
    4. The bugs in the game are trivial.

Whenever someone says this, I wonder what he means by "trivial". A typo? An art bug? There are plenty of bugs that I don't consider trivial. See point 3 above. And while bugs like typos, art errors, and improperly drawn UI elements are not terribly important, they do add up. Each of these bugs is a minor annoyance individually, but together they make the game look shoddy. It's as if we live in a house with chipped paint, cracked mirrors, and leaky faucets. In general, I think the game shows poor workmanship.

Trivial is a relative term and entirely up to the interpretation of the individual...

5. QA misses some bugs, because they are hard to reproduce.

While this is undoubtedly true, they also miss other bugs that are easy to reproduce. Many of the bugs reported by players are reproducible every time. QA should have caught these bugs first.

6. The programmers can't fix a bug, because they can't reproduce it.

Does this mean they can't reproduce it at all or just not every time? While some bugs are reproducible only some of the time, that does not necessarily mean they are rare. Even a bug that occurs only 10% of the time is common enough to be reproducible. While this makes a bug harder to fix, it doesn't mean they should just abandon all efforts to fix it. I think Cryptic tends to abandon bugs whose solution is not immediately obvious. I suspect this is what happened with the boff station bug. As far as I know, flyingtarg was the last person to work on it. I think he's been reassigned to the item update project.

These two points can indeed be true... Some bugs may not be easily reproduced in a controlled environment and a lot can happen unexpectedly when patches go live...

Also trying to pinpoint bugs, even those which may be affecting 10% of the playerbase, as you used in your example, may not be easily reproduced as 9 out of 10 people are not experiencing it - how many within that 10% will actually provide useful feedback to try and pinpoint the bug if it cannot be reproduced by the QA team?

I'm gonna be blunt, you don't seem to have a firm grasp of the fact QA is not always as easy as people believe... Identifying and fixing bugs in potentially hundreds, or even thousands of lines of code, is not a simple task when that bug could be a single character that's out of place and so forth...

I worked for a while designing web pages, I learnt by hard coding pages in notepad... All it took for the entire page to not display was forgetting a bracket or comma, or a single key stroke out of place... Given I know first hand just how difficult correcting a web page can be, I can understand bug fixing when it comes to MMO coding is no small task...

Having said that, it does not mean I'm giving Cryptic a free pass, I'm only willing to cut them a little slack when it comes to bugs...

There are no game breaking bugs that prevent me playing STO and those that do exist are generally an annoyance which is easily worked around - loadout bugs and AWOL Boffs just require you to select the loadout again in the UI usually...

I am yet to see anything that would suggest the full stoppage of new development to fix bugs is in anyway justified, especially since doing so would cause far more harm in the long term, due to lack of new content, than a few nagging bugs being in the game....