test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Numbus and why i have a problem with it.

shinnok918shinnok918 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
So after playing numbus for the 6th time I realized the major problem I have with it. its not so much ground that ur numb after (hence numbus) or the fact that depending on what faction u play you get this nice shiny new ship only to have to park it in orbit around numbus until u get to kill Hassan, after which u get to park it in orbit again for 2 more ground missions after which u feel really numb about numbus, it's that in the federation and Klingon story arcs you are introduced to Hakeev with absolutely no history on him. just suddenly your character is supposed to know who hakeev is. he already hates you as much as if you were the guy who cost him his eye, he's taunting u like ur old enemies, but that's the first time u see him in the story arc.

then there's also the fact ur forced to rescue slimek. I think I have a bigger problem with that as well. leaving him there to suffer might save me a few problems on nopada.
Post edited by shinnok918 on

Comments

• Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Slamek is just misunderstood, he just has a problem with lights. Just like a certain bald captain/amb.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    shinnok918 wrote: »
    its not so mugh ground that ur numb after (hence numbus) or the fact that depending on what faction u play you get this nice shiny new ship only to have to park it in orbit around numbus until u get to kill Hassan, after which u get to park it in orbit again for 2 more ground missions

So basically your problem is that Cryptic made a series of episodes that more like the shows.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Slamek is just misunderstood, he just has a problem with lights. Just like a certain bald captain/amb.

lol, thx; really funny :P
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hartzilla wrote: »
    So basically your problem is that Cryptic made a series of episodes that more like the shows.

ouch :D

/10 char
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    hartzilla wrote: »

u failed to read far enough. go back and reread. my problem is the sudden appearance of hakeev with no history. your character is just expected to suddenly know who hakeev is.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    u failed to read far enough. go back and reread. my problem is the sudden appearance of hakeev with no history. your character is just expected to suddenly know who hakeev is.
    I can, somewhat, understand your point, but Trek is full of that type of stuff. General Chang just shows up in tUDC and you are expected to accept that he is some big shot in the KDF and him and Kirk verbally sparring is just part of the process. The same is true for Hakeev.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My problem with it is the ground, plain and simple. If ground combat ever gets another revamp, and is actually improved this time around (ie, all current code deleted and completely redesigned), i might actually enjoy the place. But that will never happen.

As it stands now i just spam the "F" key to get out as fast as possible, so i never noticed that issue with Hakeev.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Doesn't Hakeev say something like "and who are you supposed to be?" Or something to that effect?

Anyay, I share that notion about the Ambassador class ship you earn.

Assuming you play with regular mission progression without xp boosts, you should be around level 25 when you get the ship.
    The game then sends you to Nimbus where you play several missions on the ground with the exception of 2 spacebattles.
    By the time you are done with Nimbus you are on the verge of a promotion to Captain and move on to a Tier 4 ship which puts the free ship totally to waste.
    Last time I did it I just kept flying it through Captain levels to actually get a little milage out of it.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What we need is on Nimbus is [Special Device - Argo 4x4 Rally Car] :D
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I find the Nimbus stuff a nice break from the usual 'Space/ground/space' missions.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2015

sounds like most tv shows I watch.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I kind of prefer big shots like Hakeev showing up out of nowhere as opposed to seeing their childhood or being told he's Tomalak's son or something silly like that.

Put this way: When Walter Peck shows up in Ghostbusters, you don't get any introduction to him aside from what his job is. From there, he shows you what kind of person he is by how he acts.

I think Hakeev is one of the better original characters in STO. He has enough of a personality and sense of style for how he operates that Sela is able to crack a joke at his expense.

In terms of the best defined characters in STO, I'd say Hakeev, Shon, B'vat, Franklin Drake, the Cardassian diplomat, and the Romulan bridge crew probably take top honors because they show up without much introduction (like a real person would) and start giving you a feel for their attitude by what they do and how they act.

The Ferengi in STO are also fairly well done even if they're all fairly stereotypical Ferengi. (We don't really have any Nogs or Roms or even Quarks whose personal ambitions and foibles get in the way of being a good Ferengi.)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,390 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If you're not a Rom, Hakeev has no idea who you are, and all you know is he's the guy who was running the chamber of horrors you just shut down in "Installation 18". He's mad at you for getting in his way, and potentially threatening his Grand Plan (about which you know nothing, and won't until Brea III - do Klingons get to do Brea III, or is that just Fed and Rom toons?)

And really, do you need to know more than that about him to want to shut him down permanently?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,390 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Ferengi in STO are also fairly well done even if they're all fairly stereotypical Ferengi. (We don't really have any Nogs or Roms or even Quarks whose personal ambitions and foibles get in the way of being a good Ferengi.)
    Sure we do. They're all player-characters, though. (Capt. Grunt, for example, has been declared persona non grata in the Ferengi Alliance because he's a pervert who places the welfare of his crew and the Federation above his personal profit.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    How about having a few more Ferengi like Leck.

Guess, in a way, player Ferengi are sort of like Leck.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    giohaxgiohax Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    look how no one cares lol
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I guess you never watched the film: "Star Trek: Nemesis"? In that they bring in a brand new Villain with no real introduction - make him Praetor, Data even discovers he was a major military figure in the Dominion War (never mentioned in the 4 years of Dominion War as told in DS9); and THEN we get a 20 minute backstory explanation halfway into the film.

IDK - Sounds like Cryptic following Star Trek writing memes established years earlier to me.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I can, somewhat, understand your point, but Trek is full of that type of stuff. General Chang just shows up in tUDC and you are expected to accept that he is some big shot in the KDF and him and Kirk verbally sparring is just part of the process. The same is true for Hakeev.

chang is explained as an assistant to the chancellor. the reason for the shakesperian sparring is established as well. they built the history in the movie. this isn't done with hakeev.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    nandospc wrote: »
    What we need is on Nimbus is [Special Device - Argo 4x4 Rally Car] :D

+1 this idea

But, steal. . I mean borrow, the concept of the Halo Warthog. 1 player drives, 1 player can door gunner, and 1 player can use the back heavy gun. But also put in something big that you want the mobile gun platform to take down as well.

Encourage a little team work in this MMO earlier than 50.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I kind of prefer big shots like Hakeev showing up out of nowhere as opposed to seeing their childhood or being told he's Tomalak's son or something silly like that.

Put this way: When Walter Peck shows up in Ghostbusters, you don't get any introduction to him aside from what his job is. From there, he shows you what kind of person he is by how he acts.

I think Hakeev is one of the better original characters in STO. He has enough of a personality and sense of style for how he operates that Sela is able to crack a joke at his expense.

In terms of the best defined characters in STO, I'd say Hakeev, Shon, B'vat, Franklin Drake, the Cardassian diplomat, and the Romulan bridge crew probably take top honors because they show up without much introduction (like a real person would) and start giving you a feel for their attitude by what they do and how they act.

I'd add Obisek to that list, and I do actually like the characters of Eldex and Gaul too; the latter much more so than Hakeev's over the top theatrics.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    , it's that in the federation and Klingon story arcs you are introduced to Hakeev with absolutely no history on him. just suddenly your character is supposed to know who hakeev is. he already hates you as much as if you were the guy who cost him his eye, he's taunting u like ur old enemies, but that's the first time u see him in the story arc.

then there's also the fact ur forced to rescue slimek. I think I have a bigger problem with that as well. leaving him there to suffer might save me a few problems on nopada

So you are upset that the Devs wrote those epsiodes in much the same way that Trek TV epsiodes were written.

I was watching "the Wounded" last night. That episode introduces the Cardassians as if they were always there. And there Federation has been in prolonged conflict with them. And yet they never bothered to mention this before?

As for saving Selmeck, YOU know what he's up to, but someone else playing through for the first time won't.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So you are upset that the Devs wrote those epsiodes in much the same way that Trek TV epsiodes were written.

I was watching "the Wounded" last night. That episode introduces the Cardassians as if they were always there. And there Federation has been in prolonged conflict with them. And yet they never bothered to mention this before?

As for saving Selmeck, YOU know what he's up to, but someone else playing through for the first time won't.

the funny thing about "the wounded" was that the fact that the enterprise curbstomped the cardy ship in like a minute or less. While being caught off guard. And that later, the phoenix crushed a warship while having been caught with no shields.

Why did starfleet have a war with trolls like that? How did they not win?
    Why did the klinker empire not jump in?

The cardys were never scary.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    reynoldsxd wrote: »
    the funny thing about "the wounded" was that the fact that the enterprise curbstomped the cardy ship in like a minute or less. While being caught off guard. And that later, the phoenix crushed a warship while having been caught with no shields.

Why did starfleet have a war with trolls like that? How did they not win?
    Why did the klinker empire not jump in?

The cardys were never scary.
    Well, we don't know the specifics, but it seems that the Cardassians DID lose. Although the Feds were nice and let them have territory, that was more about neatening the map than fairness. Apparently the border between Cardassian and Federation space was.... the opposite of regular. Why? well... apparently it was the first formal boundary set. Given the nature of the Cardassians it's possible that until then both sides had been engaging in land grabs for whatever planets they could take.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    amosov78 wrote: »
    I'd add Obisek to that list, and I do actually like the characters of Eldex and Gaul too; the latter much more so than Hakeev's over the top theatrics.

I'm back and forth on counting Gaul since he actually is a character from a Voyager episode. :-)

But he is very well handled here even with a new actor and the treatment of Gaul made it so that I could envision Cryptic being ready to do a Dukat story of some kind.
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i have no issues with the nimbus III story arc . i feel its a fun romp, alot better than running around bajor, or helping talaxins cook . IMO. i like the idea of the pirates and dealing with them . i wish there was more interaction with them later .