test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Disney Buys Rights to Star Trek

otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Ten Forward
I hear Disney has purchased the rights to Star Trek from Paramount, will this affect STO in any way?
Fleet Admiral Stephen
Post edited by otisnoble on

Comments

• Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    otisnoble wrote: »
    I hear Disney has purchased the rights to Star Trek from Paramount, will this affect STO in any way?

yes, it will.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes, the next Star Trek series will have Donald Duck as Captain of the Enterprise. :P :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    rjay1985rjay1985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    First, this is stupid Aprils Fools TRIBBLE being trolled by the OP.

Second, IF it were true, the STO license comes from CBS who owns the rights to the TV series.
    Paramount has nothing to do with this game or the license, so no, it would not mater.
  • Options
    ussackermanussackerman Member Posts: 275 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Of course, any changes by Disney will be in a third alternate reality and only affect STO in that the stories will not match up and make fans of Disney-Trek burst into flames.

Here is the Disney-Trek reboot universe:

Federation was founded by Captain America.
    The Enterprise and all its systems were designed by Stark Enterprises. "Hence the name." ;)
    She will still be Captained by James T. Kirk.
    An anthropomorphic Mickey Mouse is the President of the Federation with Prince Phillip from "Sleeping Beauty" at the Head of Starfleet.

The Guardian of Forever will become a Closet Door, through which the Enterprise crew will find a doorway to a mystical other galaxy in another time. (Read in Narnia/Star Wars Universe references) The events of this will set up a chain of movies where it will climax with Captain America being found alive, given his own ship and have to battle Kirk and Co. for the fate of the Federation. (ala Marvel: Civil War)
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    deviantArt has this funny article about this purchase. My favourite part was where JJ Abrams is supposed to merge Star Trek with Star Wars universe as part of this purchase agreement :D
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    otisnoble wrote: »

It was an Aprils Fools joke.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yay! My captain can finally haz Iron Man suit!
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is why I like April Fools. Silly little posts like this.
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I read that news article, and it was SO BADLY WRITTEN. It was so bad of an attempt, I literally said "BOOOOOOOO!" There is absolutely nothing in there to convince me it is genuine.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I love the effort to be convincing, however.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Considering that it is CBS and not Paramount that owns the license to STO, then Disney buying Star Trek from Paramount won't affect STO in any way.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Considering that it is CBS and not Paramount that owns the license to STO, then Disney buying Star Trek from Paramount won't affect STO in any way.

Heh... should someone tell him?
  • Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited April 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    Yes, the next Star Trek series will have Donald Duck as Captain of the Enterprise. :P :D

The "Kaaaaahn!" moment with the angry duck should be quite entertaining.

I look forward to Pete as a Klingon. Though what I really want is one of those Goofy-as-every-man works, where Goofy plays all the roles.