test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

AFK ban for fixing my powers tray (total bollocks)

Comments

• snipey47asnipey47a Member Posts: 485 Media Corps
    edited March 2015
    I say well deserved. To get an AFK penalty you need to do less than 1% of the total damage done by your team combined. Fixing a tray even from scratch should take 30-45 seconds... and yes, why didn't have a loadout saved to call upon? Most pug PVEs go for 5-15 minutes so the question is, what the heck were you doing the entire time?

I already know the answer, you were stuffing around and thought to bother us all with your QQ.
  • flyingshoeboxflyingshoebox Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    While I’ve never gotten an afk penalty for it I have had my load out go blank some times and can see it being a problem if you’re in a group that finish fast or you trying to fix it before you enter combat. I noticed it a good deal during this last battle the snow flake event. Everything was ok when entered the queue then after I loaded the map all my boffs and skills were unloaded. What made it worse a few times was that I hadn’t noticed that it unloaded everything till after started fighting since my normal tactic is to just full impulse and evasive, if I get shot on my way up to the snowflake as soon as I’m on the map. Which meant I then had to crawl my way out of combat range then wait 30 second just for the option to reactivate the load out. If I was really unlucky which did happen a few times I would hit the button and it didn’t load up properly. Which then left me with a 1 minute cool down on hitting it again or trying the second load out which is just a minor variation on the first one. Because I’ve taken to using it as a last resort to getting my load outs to stick in the first place. Yes you can do it all manually but that can be half if not more than a run if you get them done in that 6-15 minute mark.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    crayosicom wrote: »
    i was given a 2hr afk penalty because upon spawning in the fleet action, my powers tray and boff assignments were completely empty. because of YOUR BUG, i was banned. this is unacceptable and i demand that it be removed immidiately.

Considering you "demand" something, let me tell you about a secret.

You are special. You are important. You are a great person. Also Cryptic doesn't care about any of these things. They do care about their player's feedback sometimes, but most certainly not with words as "unacceptable" "demand" and "immediately".

Also, 1 word, 7 letters: loadout.
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Dude what else are you doing that it takes 6-15 minutes to reslot your trays? I have to be goofing off doing other things for it to take 6 minutes or more.

I know how I like my power trays set up so it takes less than a minute to drag n drop boff powers from the pop up window onto the power trays.

^this pretty much.

Even when I went into a CCA from space and had not only my loadout trays disappear... but certain powers on my BOffs reset back to default... it didn't take me any longer then a minute to fix even without using the loadout button.

So the idea that "I got a AFK ban for fixing my power tray" is a total cop out for your own failures as a player.

That said... Cryptic does need to fix this loadout bug TRIBBLE... but I will bet that the loadout tray bug wasn't the cause of your AFK penalty (by the way it's not a ban... you can still play the game).
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ahh what a loving and supportive community we have here. :rolleyes:

Whaling on a player who is understandably upset because s/he expected a game to work the way it should but instead ran across a huge bug that's not his fault. Like s/he is supposed to know about this bug and be happy with a workaround that many players just aren't familiar with.
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I got AFK'd for only answering the interview questions in Undine infiltration. Since I was the only one doing them, and everyone else was defending the Orb, I got hit.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mikoto8472 wrote: »

Whaling on a player who is understandably upset because s/he expected a game to work the way it should but instead ran across a huge bug that's not his fault. Like s/he is supposed to know about this bug and be happy with a workaround that many players just aren't familiar with.

He knew about the work around... he admits it previously... yes it's broken... but even with the workaround broken it does NOT take 6 minutes to fix.

Seriously... go into space right now.... blank your Boffs... then readd them... see how long it takes you... go ahead and time it...

Now tell me that in that time you're going to get an AFK penalty in any queue out there

Test it... go into a queue and wait that specific amount of time... then start... I will tell you, unless you're in a super hot all Scim around you doing 50k damage you won't get the AFK penalty... and if you're in that... you're probably going to get the AFK penalty anyway.

Besides the OP has been around long enough to know Loadouts exist as well.. which he admitted to even using... just that the loadouts were wrong.. but it doesn't take all that long to fix.
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Bollocks? Or dog's bollocks?
    w8xekp.jpg
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    He knew about the work around... he admits it previously... yes it's broken... but even with the workaround broken it does NOT take 6 minutes to fix.

Seriously... go into space right now.... blank your Boffs... then readd them... see how long it takes you... go ahead and time it...

Now tell me that in that time you're going to get an AFK penalty in any queue out there

Test it... go into a queue and wait that specific amount of time... then start... I will tell you, unless you're in a super hot all Scim around you doing 50k damage you won't get the AFK penalty... and if you're in that... you're probably going to get the AFK penalty anyway.

Besides the OP has been around long enough to know Loadouts exist as well.. which he admitted to even using... just that the loadouts were wrong.. but it doesn't take all that long to fix.

If it was only his Boff skills, then it should have been something that was quick. But, I tried the work around before, and it mixed up all four trays I use.

If I start from scratch putting all skills, including ones that are not Boff skills, it will take a few mins on some ships because of all the things I have on them. And before DR, if I had to redo the tray, it might have taken longer because I used to run multiple builds, and they were all setup different.

What I do is setup my offensive Boff skills, and a couple heals, and go with that. I get killed a lot because I don't have a proper setup, but it doesn't matter because the game only cares about DPS. So I don't get the penalty. I don't do much to help either, because the tray screwed up. But I also let the other players know why before we leave.

The main thing is that you at least do some DPS. So, even if you can't fix the tray, at least throw some DPS. May not be enough to save the day, but every little bit will help, and keep you from getting screwed by the penalty because of the tray bug.

Sadly, till they do a good AFK system, this is all we have to work with.

Good luck next time OP.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm sure that within 2 hours the GM's will remove your ban, lad.
  • snipey47asnipey47a Member Posts: 485 Media Corps
    edited April 2015
    mikoto8472 wrote: »

To be fair, it is a little tough to be supportive on someone who has cried in a public forum about something that was 98% his fault. Yes, the trays can blank. Yes, in rare cases reloading your Loadout and going to the Stations tab won't put every boff ability back in it's place. But then to come on here an have a dig at a system, imperfect I accept, that was implemented to stop people sitting there collecting marks due to the hard work of others is beyond unacceptable. If it took him 6 minutes to put back 12 boff abilities then that is 1 ability every 30 seconds and unless the OP can explain this better, I will consider him a troll.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    razar2380 wrote: »
    If it was only his Boff skills, then it should have been something that was quick. But, I tried the work around before, and it mixed up all four trays I use.

If I start from scratch putting all skills, including ones that are not Boff skills, it will take a few mins on some ships because of all the things I have on them. And before DR, if I had to redo the tray, it might have taken longer because I used to run multiple builds, and they were all setup different.

What I do is setup my offensive Boff skills, and a couple heals, and go with that. I get killed a lot because I don't have a proper setup, but it doesn't matter because the game only cares about DPS. So I don't get the penalty. I don't do much to help either, because the tray screwed up. But I also let the other players know why before we leave.

The main thing is that you at least do some DPS. So, even if you can't fix the tray, at least throw some DPS. May not be enough to save the day, but every little bit will help, and keep you from getting screwed by the penalty because of the tray bug.

Sadly, till they do a good AFK system, this is all we have to work with.

Good luck next time OP.

Here's the thing, if the loadout being selected and, than hitting the stations tab doesn't put everything back in order, than what people should be doing is making sure it at least puts the correct boffs + skills in their stations and, than bring their boff stations boxes back online.

This will quicken the process so, that you need only fill 1-2 hotbars with non-boff related stuffs.

Granted the system is by no means perfect, nor should there be a requirement to use it to help avoid these issues but, it is stuck here in the mean time and, like it or not, we have to deal with it.

And, finding quicker ways to resolve the problem ourselves, goes a long way.

Otherwise, you can take forever to put each and every little thing back in their spots but, it still shouldn't take 3/4 -full length of a mission, unless that mission is over in 5mins. or, less.

And, even 5mins. is a long time to correct the loadout issue.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Here's the thing, if the loadout being selected and, than hitting the stations tab doesn't put everything back in order, than what people should be doing is making sure it at least puts the correct boffs + skills in their stations and, than bring their boff stations boxes back online.

This will quicken the process so, that you need only fill 1-2 hotbars with non-boff related stuffs.

What I meant by this "I tried the work around before, and it mixed up all four trays I use." is that sometimes there were only a few things in my entire 4 trays that were in their right places.

That is why I said that instead of putting everything back, I just put my offensive Boff skills, and a few heals in their place, and go like that.

It does happen sometimes where it will throw almost everything in all of your skill trays all over the place. It is rare, but it will happen. And if you have almost 4 whole trays filled with skills, traits, etc, then it can take a long time to put everything back.

I don't even bother when this happens because I also need to select each individual Boff for each station because not a single one will go back in their stations. By the time this is done, it is about 45 seconds.

At that point, I empty all trays, and only run Boff skills so I don't get the penalty. Even hunting all the console skills, traits, and everything else will take time. I don't bother myself when it is that bad. Not worth the time. I would rather respawn if I need to than to sort it all out again. Done it for too many time on so many characters before DR.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    whaaa whaaa you got spanked for being afk. ABOUT DAMN TIME! I am sick of all the parasites who just sit and do nothing in pugs and yet the second rewards drop they warp out. OP Did you even try and contribute at all? From you moaning you didn't. You do know you can fight your ship without them right? May not be high in damage but at least you would be contributing something instead of sitting there while others bear the brunt of the mission and you didle around playing with your loadouts waiting to collect ill gotten rewards earned by the efforts of others. To be blunt I wish there was a friendly fire option to blow up players that never take part or contribute in anyway to a mission. Thank You cryptic for Finally punishing these parasites the 2 hour ban is a start hopefully you may add a penalty like maybe 50 k EC or 500 Dilith fine and forfiture of rewards from that mission.
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Woah...a whole two hr ban, that is the worst punishment I have ever heard of in any game EVER. Guess that means you have to go outside huh?
  • lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    how about just fly in, do a little damage contribute to the team, then when it's finished, fix your s h I t then.

I've had that happen many times.......you've got to be doing some serious f all for you to get a penalty
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That doesn't work all the time, System still forgets boff layouts at times, and you have manually input them. Mostly I have to hit the loadout button I have named and saved then I have to hit the "Stations" tab in order for the abilities to appear on the tray. But as I said before, the system doesn't remember the boff layouts half the time, so I am usually manually inputting them.

whats wrong with running with just your weapons in a crisis like this, save your rearranging of extras for after the mission.
    sure its not great but at least you wont get an afk penalty, desperate times call for desperate measures.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That doesn't work all the time, System still forgets boff layouts at times, and you have manually input them. Mostly I have to hit the loadout button I have named and saved then I have to hit the "Stations" tab in order for the abilities to appear on the tray. But as I said before, the system doesn't remember the boff layouts half the time, so I am usually manually inputting them.

Yea I was a bit confused as well as why on some toons this workaround helped at first while on others it did not.

What helped me in the end was to save the same generated loadouts in 3 different locations.

1) Sapce/orbit
    2) Ground
    3) Sector

After I have done that the loadout feature has always restored the conditions on all of my 8 toons.

Perhaps this helps you as well. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    crayosicom wrote: »
    i had a saved loadout, and it did nothing for the boffs except make things worse - usually if i reslot the same boff who was there, the powers reappear- this time it scrambled the tray and i had to manually rearrange it.

Yeah, this has happened to me too a few times, as the Loadout system is less then reliable , and I too didn't know about this workaround at the time:
    Save to a loadout. When the bug happens, click on your saved loadout and then click the (Boff) Stations tab . This will restore the boffs and skills tray will re-appear.

Live and learn . :)

... and it's OK to be upset about bugs ... -- I'm always amused by how jaded many in this community have become towards bugs and other issues that they wouldn't accept nearly so calmly anywhere else ...
  • trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Wrong. While it's perfectly okay to be upset about bugs, it's not okay to use the vanishing boff bug as an excuse to demand that the AFK penalty which is working as intended be removed from the game. And even if you aren't using the loadout workaround, it doesn't take 6-15 minutes to reassign your boffs and reslot your power trays.

well as I dunno how he managed to get 2h afk ban from that when you got such ban in efect of a bug that being at least upset is understandable

such thing on such mission happened to me phew time already but getting ship into combat readiness was always very fast thing and I have never actually used the loadout trick (call me noob never cared too much :P)

basically it was like "buff all boffs into their places get everything outta power trays and while putting the stuff onto the trays back already moving into engagement zone so as soon as I got everything right guns are firing

and never got the afk punishment....

the worse thing though than ppl taking too much time to fix their trays caouse of that bug are the folks that technically make suicide by the way the try to fight and after first death that occurs very fast they never respawn....

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • jaymclaughlinjaymclaughlin Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The boff bug sucks.... but it affects pretty much everyone.

Best solution I found is to rename my boffs... Tac SRO 1, Sci Pirate 2 etc etc etc

That way it's easy to find them and slot them in if they suddenly go awol.

I've had it happen at the start of CCA and still managed to get 1st place, so if you're getting afk penalties, you're doing something wrong
    animated.gif
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So we have bugs that involve deleting our button tray of powers upon zoning into a fleet action. We have another bug, on top of that, of load outs not loading in powers correctly when selected in the appropriate tab. And then we have another bug on top of that one where clicking on Stations usually, but not always fixes it. Sometimes unseating all our boffs altogether in the process. (and reseating them put's their powers into one big garbled mess that needs to be reorganized from scratch.)

What we have here is a critical breakdown. Bugs compounded onto bugs compounded onto more bugs. And we have some players defending this practice and the long length of time we've been dealing with this issue now with no fix in sight as reasonable, defending Cryptic to their dying breath against any criticism. And we have other players insisting that they have encountered no issues with the functionality of load outs at all and that therefore none must exist, that if any of us have encountered an issue with them then clearly we simply just don't know how to use them correctly.

Unbelievable. I don't have any idea what it's like being a shill, never been one myself. But I hope the position gets paid.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    TL;DR: This is why good, organized runs go WFP.

Wait For Players (to un-**** their loadouts).
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    darkjeff wrote: »
    TL;DR: This is why good, organized runs go WFP.

Wait For Players (to un-**** their loadouts).
    Or something similar, it happened to me Monday. I posted in team chat something like "Wait, my boffs escaped" then one of the others said "me too".

I had my boffs reslotted before my hangars finished their launch cycles...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The OP never said whether it was an advanced or normal queue. If it was advanced, I do have a hard time believing he could not contribute. However on normal, with the right (wrong) high DPS teammates, they could in fact destroy all three cubes in Cure space, for example, before he could finish reslotting BOFFs.

The uncontrolled power creep and the ridiculously broken loadout system are real problems. They can in fact combine to cause this issue in the right STFs, especially after DR had Cryptic making normal queues even easier than before. Whether that actually happened to the OP or not is unknown, but don't pretend it can't legitimately happen.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Its shocking there is so much CDF out here.

This bug happened to me too, funny, it ended up being the thing that killed the game for me.
    My boffs bugged, unslot, its happened a lot before. I use the loadout to bring it back like normal (sad state that is normal) but nothing happens. I reslot the boffs manually only to find my trays are completely random.

I now have one character I tried to fix, resave the load out and when it happens I can't fix it, every time. It takes me a long time to get my hotkeys perfectly set up, 15 minutes easy, it was the end of STO for me.

These are game breaking bugs, they are inexcusable and accepting them just enables this type of bad business to keep running.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
    edited April 2015
    Wait, I've seen videos of really fast, short STF's, like 5-6 minutes, but I've never seen one done in less than 60 seconds. Has someone posted a video of this being done, cuz I'd love to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVx8x1qThXc

Skip to 27mins. You won't get one much quicker
    animated.gif
    edited April 2015
    Thank you. That was awesome! Uh I noticed tho that the players took time to get into position. How long did that take before starting blasting?

Oh and I'm bookmarking that vid to watch later start to stop. :D

Watch the whole series if you have time... Ryan goes over literally everything you could possibly need to know.
    animated.gif
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sammyspet1 wrote: »
    LOL just LOL... not their fault u didnt save one or check before you went in, maybe this will teach you for next time.

glad to see the system working sort of lol.... hate leach's or players who dont do anything in PvE/STF........ jolly good show, ty needed a laugh about something.

dude they disappear often upon moving to the map happens to me from time to time but i make sure to check before getting into a combat mode and zone out quickly to fix it and then get back in line.

The loadout trick only works sporadically by the way and not for everyone.

So really the remedy is look before you move an inch and leave the instance pronto before you get into combat mode and cant exit to fix it.