test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mission options & fail and continue mission options question?

cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
I want to do a mission that has consequences to it,

if say option one says "kill him" and number 2 says "spare him" and if you pick option 1 the mission fails and if you pick option 2 the mission continues,

Can this be done in the foundry and if so how?
CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
Post edited by cers001 on

Comments

• Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You can't fail a mission, you can only block progress. It would probably be better to have consequences in the form of you facing some of his angry friends later, or friendly NPC X is killed as a result.

In fairness, I always found Cryptic's failure mechanic immersion-breaking. Since you restart, it's like it doesn't have consequence. You get a do over. A more realistic outcome is the mission continues, but causes a less favorable outcome.

The one tricky part is that triggers only work on the same map, you'll have to convey the results of their decision before the next map transition, then play things loose enough on future maps as to be applicable to both possibilities.
  • Options
    cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    thx anyway
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    To piggy back on what thegreendragoon1 said, you can also put a prompt on the following maps asking which decision the player made before. It can be slightly immersion breaking, but it does allow a more branching story. If you've played KotOR 1 and 2, you'll know what I'm talking about, as that's how they handle the transition between games.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png