test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rewarding Achievements like other MMOs

agentzhienagentzhien Member Posts: 6 Arc User
I propose rewarding players with unique bonuses and clothing for gaining achievement points on their characters.

As it is, STO has an accolade or achievement system which scores you based on whatever events and actions you complete throughout your gameplay. While it's nice to know for yourself, and you can even see the numerical value when you Get Info on a player or yourself, it really serves little purpose as-is. Why should I bother with collecting accolades if I don't get any benefit out of it other than patting myself on the back?

Meanwhile, other games like WoW and GW2 have similar accolade markers and scoring, but they reward players on how high their score is in a manner that benefits them not only in gameplay but to other players as well. For instance, in Guild Wars 2 when you achieve a certain accolade score you gain a 1% boost in your in-game gold find. Another accolade, and you get a boost to the chance of getting higher-tier items AS WELL AS a neat alternate skin for your weapons not otherwise available in the game. At milestone points (like, say, every 3000 accolade points), you get a piece of special armor. It doesn't have any functionality, but like the weapon skins you can make existing armor look unique.

In STO, there are a ton of bonus options you can give players for getting achievement points. Permanent bonuses (even by 1%) towards dilithium, higher odds of getting higher-tier weapons as random mob drops, permanent R&D bonuses towards getting crafting improvements, unique costumes and ship skins only achieved with achievements, and at very high achievement milestones (like, say, every 5000 or 10000 points) a unique T6 ship or, if balance is an issue, a pet or playable race or BO not otherwise available, something that can be shown off to other players :cool:.

As it is, though, the achievement system doesn't really serve a purpose, so here's a good way to make it count. Anyone else have thoughts on this? Chime in :D!

Comments

• jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You do know they give passives. . .

Well the tool tips tell me so. . .
    JtaDmwW.png
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Kill accolades in STO generally give you +2% damage to that specific enemy.
    Dealing a certain amount of damage with a specific weapon type gives your bonus damage (2%) with that weapon type.
    Similarly you can get 2% damage resistance against vs a specific weapon type.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse