test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Arguments of Inequality

sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Fleet System and Holdings
Solo Vs Grouper argument: Get in a group. This is a multiplayer game!
Fleet vs Non-fleet argument: Want to get somewhere with your holdings? Join a bigger fleet!

I see these arguments a lot.

Massively Miltiplayer Online simply means that WAY more than one player is online in the same virtual space. It does not require that they play together.

If real life were a game, it would also be a MMO. some people keep to themselves in the real world, mostly by choice forever reason. Maybe they just don't like crowds. Maybe they just want to do their own thing without bothering or being bothered by others. So what if they are social hermits? If it isn't hurting them, then why should it hurt anyone else?

Having said that, I feel that Cryptic has missed an great opportunity. By designing the game around this notion that the player is THE hero, rather than one of many heroes, with nothing anyone does having any real and lasting impact on the game world, they have created an environment that favors an "It's all about ME so TRIBBLE YOU!" mentality. And most of the time, those embracing that mentality don't even realize they are doing so, because they are just playing the game as it is designed.

Cryptic had the right idea with their fleet holding system. Their mistake was locking the mechanics behind a fleet membership requirement. To my way of thinking, a Fleet (aka guild in most MMOs) should be nothing more than persistent grouping of players with common interests and/or goals who like to group together to do things in-game on a regular basis.

The inequality factor between large and small fleets was exposed, amplified and became an area of contention in this community because of the fleet holding system. Small fleets whined about how it was unfair that they could not progress in a timely enough manner that their efforts felt fun rather than mind-numbingly boring. And if you are not having fun in a game, then what is the point in playing.

The way to level the playfield is to take the fleet holding mechanics, increase the resource costs to something based on THOUSANDS of players rather than fifty to the max number of fleet members, butn open the system up to the entire player base. A leaderboard could be attached to the system tracking individual contributions and fleet contributions, but the results of the contributions would be seen by ALL players. Not just players in a fleet.

That player starbase? Under what I propose could have been constructed with the cooperation of all members of one's faction. It would be seen progressing over time until it finally reached Tier 5 in all areas. And at the end of the process, anyone who participated would be able to honestly say, "I helped build that!" and it would remain as a persistent reminder of a team effort, regardless of whether or not the participants were part of a fleet, random groupers or soloists. One's personal preference of group or solo, size of fleet and any other divisive element in this community would not matter.
"There can be no meeting of the minds between two parties
if both parties are not willing to meet in the middle."
-Ambassador Samuel J. Stone
Post edited by sirsitsalot on

Comments

• embracedsinembracedsin Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Having said that, I feel that Cryptic has missed an great opportunity. By designing the game around this notion that the player is THE hero, rather than one of many heroes, with nothing anyone does having any real and lasting impact on the game world, they have created an environment that favors an "It's all about ME so TRIBBLE YOU!" mentality.

There will always be people with the "It's all about ME so TRIBBLE YOU" attitude regardless of what Cryptic does. There is a percentage of people who have exotic personality types and that will not change anytime soon. As long as elitism is the accepted social standard in this "community" then you will have to deal with people that think they are rambo.

As for the fleet stuff..never been in one and don't plan to be in one.
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Like having friends in real life, being in a fleet vastly improved both my knowledge about the game and my enjoyment of the game. Playing solo has drawbacks, so should being in a small fleet.

Kind of like how people band together to form towns, states, nations, federations of nations, and so on. I would never argue that a city-state should have the same power as a nation, nor should there be "balancing" to punish communities based on being large.

And how does having a single project for all players help them make money? Whales won't care because they want a fleet as a personal possession. Casuals still wouldn't contribute much. In addition guilds are a MMO tradition.

But your suggestion of a global project will be included for the Delta Recruits. So your wish is granted, sort of...

Kind of a side note, but the argument you present is an odd position to take for someone who seems to be an Ayn Rand fan.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Cryptic had the right idea with their fleet holding system. Their mistake was locking the mechanics behind a fleet membership requirement. To my way of thinking, a Fleet (aka guild in most MMOs) should be nothing more than persistent grouping of players with common interests and/or goals who like to group together to do things in-game on a regular basis.

Exactly, a fleet, or guild, should be people you want to hang out with, not people you have to hang out with.

I had enough guild drama in Censoredcraft. Being at the mercy of fleet leaders for what I could get credits from was not something I wanted to mess around with so I've just avoided making use of fleet stuff and outside of one social fleet use them so I can do fleet actions when they have something special available from them.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited March 2015

What a laugh, first people complain about Cryptic forcing people to play they way they want and no other. But give it a chance, and the players do the same thing.

It's almost funny if it wasn't so sad in way.

Let me give you insight into another style of play:
    1. The "massive" in MMO is really to my mind a drawback. It's all those alien lockboxes out there, all the whining, all the griefing, all the drama, all the off-topic nonsense in zone chat.
    2. Instead I like playing with people I know, like, and have common interests with. This may range from a handful up to a a dozen or so depending upon the game. I consider them my "gaming group", in this game the idea number is five. More is unneeded and drags attention away from the others
    3. "Massive" is only useful for the Exchange. Other than that, I'd be happy not seeing another person other than my normal group outside the social hubs and the occasional PUG event of 20.
    4. The primary advantage of a MMORPG over other types is games is not all the people playing, it's the endless and evolving content.

So to the OP. I have all the group I want and need. What I don't need is a lecture from the likes of you claiming that anyone who plays differently then you do is doing it wrong.
  • sgtschatzsgtschatz Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I see no fleet love here. We didn't have any either. So we made the -AFC- Star Knights our way. No elitismn. No military style leadership. We're just here to help. It works well for us we have a group of leaders not just one though they say I am the leader. My point is if you don't like the way something is make it your way. Take the rule book and toss it out an airlock. That is what we did. Now it is all about having a good time!!! I hope you all find a good fleet someday maybe even ours and see how fun it can truly be when done right. It is not all about the DPS or pvp it is all about the people. Once you figure that out the elitismn thing fades to black.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Since the topic of the thread seems to revolve around fleets (or not to fleet, that is the question!), I have moved the thread to the appropriate location for that conversation/feedback.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    fleet (noun) the largest group of naval vessels under one commander, organized for specific tactical or other purposes.

• 1. a country's navy: "the US fleet"
    • 2. a group of ships sailing together, engaged in the same activity, or under the same ownership: "the small port supports a fishing fleet"
    • 3. a number of ships, vehicles or aircraft operating together or under the same ownership: "a fleet of ambulances took the injured to the hospital"

No where is a specific quantity stated. Cryptic requires five (5) to form one, so the developers have spoken.

I see one of the problems with this game is that Cryptic has allowed fleets to finish their bases. Once done, the need to work together is finished, and then members mainly focus on themselves. Many new members only join to get the elite gear and/or perks.

Our fleet (2 members) just recently got our Spire Research to Tier 3 (Vulnerability Locator Tactical Consoles.... yeah baby!). Yes, I could have asked for an invite, but wanted to do the work to get there ourselves. And boy did it feel good to finally equip them on my main (as well as the DPS increase).

Now we are deciding where to direct our next effort, should it be the Tier 4 Communication Array and Transwarp Conduit, or the Spire Operations Tier 3 and the extra Doff Space seat. Decisions... decisions....

See... we are are still invested in the game, still have more to do. All many have left is to try and max out their skills, a boring grind to be sure. Fleet gear should be the best of the best, and this is where our developers have dropped the ball.

As to fleet membership size and inputs to acquire/develop the best equipment, this has been discussed before and I for one fell on the side of fixed sized fleets, with scaled inputs. But it's probably best that that horse be left unbeaten....
    Are we there yet?
  • sgtschatzsgtschatz Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    . Fleet gear should be the best of the best, and this is where our developers have dropped the ball. Nailed it!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    sgtschatz wrote: »
    . Fleet gear should be the best of the best, and this is where our developers have dropped the ball. Nailed it!!

Why?

/10char
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why?

/10char

Because of a the exceptionally high costs of a Tiered out Fleet, both in time and resources.

At the very least some Fleet weapons better than [TRIBBLE] [Dmg] x2...
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    fatman592 wrote: »
    Like having friends in real life, being in a fleet vastly improved both my knowledge about the game and my enjoyment of the game. Playing solo has drawbacks, so should being in a small fleet.

Kind of like how people band together to form towns, states, nations, federations of nations, and so on. I would never argue that a city-state should have the same power as a nation, nor should there be "balancing" to punish communities based on being large.

And how does having a single project for all players help them make money? Whales won't care because they want a fleet as a personal possession. Casuals still wouldn't contribute much. In addition guilds are a MMO tradition.

But your suggestion of a global project will be included for the Delta Recruits. So your wish is granted, sort of...

Kind of a side note, but the argument you present is an odd position to take for someone who seems to be an Ayn Rand fan.

I have a similar story.

The TL;DR is that I got sad of being clueless, being sad lead me to google, google lead me to reddit (not here thankfully), reddit got me in a fleet, being in a fleet got me on TS, being on TS had me talking to Jena, and things just went from there.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!