What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New to STO, would be grateful for info

2»

Comments

• teremus5teremus5 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hello everyone,

Brand new to the game as of 2 days ago. Just starting out, I practically know nothing and have enjoyed experimenting with weapon builds.

This thread has given me a wealth of information to learn from. Thank you everyone!
  • sike3004sike3004 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hello again. So i have more questions xd.... I am now flying arkif in 30-40lv range and i think it is beutifull ship. I would REALLY REALLY want to play in fleet arkif tactical carrier in the future, it just looks awesome, cannonc, torpedoes, hangar bay.... now my questions is, how much do i lose if i upgrade Fleet arkif tactical carrier to T5-U status, and not buying that new Faehl warbird.... ??
  • ry0ku83ry0ku83 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sike3004 wrote: »
    hello again. So i have more questions xd.... I am now flying arkif in 30-40lv range and i think it is beutifull ship. I would REALLY REALLY want to play in fleet arkif tactical carrier in the future, it just looks awesome, cannonc, torpedoes, hangar bay.... now my questions is, how much do i lose if i upgrade Fleet arkif tactical carrier to T5-U status, and not buying that new Faehl warbird.... ??

The Faehl is likely the better ship, Lots of build options. That said if you want to use the T5-U arkif tac Carrier I'm sure it will do just fine. Personally I'd get the faehl because I don't like constantly building new fighters because the old ones flew into exploding ships and died (especially when fighting borg cubes and there like no way for them to dodge it at all).
  • sike3004sike3004 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So i am now lv 45 and i started to upgrade antiproton DHC. For first weapons is it solid to upgrade Antiproton DHC [crtd]x2 [crth].... my plan was to get some antiproton dhc [crtd]x3 but they were too expensive for me at this moment, Mk II of those [crtd]x3 is 6m energy credit each.... So mine Antiproton DHC [crtd]x2 [crth] are now Mk IX and i just wanted to ask are those mods viable for my gameplay ( romulan, tactical, ha'feh assault warbird.. crit oriented, pure PvE, no PvP )

Another questions is. I today found about gravimetric photon torpedo launcher and it looks awesome if you ask me. With that console from that set i get bonus torpedo damage and +3 % crit which is awesome. torpedo alone have +6 % crit... If i buy Faehl and get gravity well I and these torpedoes... I just dont know if i use spread does every torpedo have chance to create rift or only one that hit first ???
  • ussberlinussberlin Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    [Acc] [CrtH]x2[CrthD] or [Acc]x2 [CrtH] [CrthD] or [Acc]x2 [CrthD]x2 for Romulans that have the right Bridge Off that give already more Crits

is the best Option for me ... and buying MK II Very Rare Weapons and bringing them up to MK XIV with mutch Dili ... or of you have less Dili and more EC get them as MKXII Very Rare

-for Romulans i whould use Reputation Guns from Rom Rep Plasma with Disruptor and Plasma Proc

-cant help for the Torp only know some are buged at the moment dont work as they should

-i whould use the Torp from Rom Rep or a Wideangel / Quantum but Rom cant get them ifen if alied with Fed
    -you could get a MK II Photon or Quantum or even Plasma and Update them to MK XIV
    -i whould put max 6 Beams in any ship and 2 Torps if then have 8 places for weapons
    or for Sci Ships 5 Beams and 1 Torpedo
    or 2 Beams, 1 Beam Bank, 1 Torp Front and 3 Beams and 1 Torp Back
    or Cannons then 2 Dual Heavy 2 Dual front 3-4 Turrets Back or 2-3 Turret one 360° Beam
    18 Cpt on the way to 60: 14 of them are already 50 or over 50, one is 60 and 3 almost 43
    Subscribed For: 4 years 5 months 20 days at 26.10.2014
  • bdunaway67bdunaway67 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've read several times now DPS is king in end-game. As a new player this kind of discourages me because that implies that no matter what class/ship I choose it will always come down to rigging for max DPS. This is what drove me from GW2, which turned out to be one of the most shallow game experiences ever.

Is this truly the case for STO?

Thanks.
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bdunaway67 wrote: »
    Is this truly the case for STO? .

Yes... mostly...

Cryptic decided that in order for things to be "harder" they were going to place everything on a time limit. Don't kill enough things in that time limit, you lose case done.

This creates an issue where it doesn't matter if you die... as long as you do enough DPS to kill whatever the current objective is before the time limit is up.

That said tanking still has it's place... but too many tanks is a drain on resources. And since DPS is generally so high you need to keep your tanks DPS high enough to keep agro... which is always a hard concept when you're looking at people doing 50k and higher dps at times.

Science CC is useful... but since that also is doubled as DPS in this game you can generally do both if you have to... but there are times when using CC is bad... or using the wrong CC is bad.

But in general yes DPS is all it's about in STO.

Edit: Just to let you know I'm talking pretty much about Queues and PvP end game. If you're still grinding out spec points end game then DPS doesn't need to be as high... but to be effective at it when you're looking at ships with millions of HPs you still need a high DPS or you'll be grinding forever.
  • bdunaway67bdunaway67 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Yes... mostly...

Cryptic decided that in order for things to be "harder" they were going to place everything on a time limit. Don't kill enough things in that time limit, you lose case done.

This creates an issue where it doesn't matter if you die... as long as you do enough DPS to kill whatever the current objective is before the time limit is up.

That said tanking still has it's place... but too many tanks is a drain on resources. And since DPS is generally so high you need to keep your tanks DPS high enough to keep agro... which is always a hard concept when you're looking at people doing 50k and higher dps at times.

Science CC is useful... but since that also is doubled as DPS in this game you can generally do both if you have to... but there are times when using CC is bad... or using the wrong CC is bad.

But in general yes DPS is all it's about in STO.

Edit: Just to let you know I'm talking pretty much about Queues and PvP end game. If you're still grinding out spec points end game then DPS doesn't need to be as high... but to be effective at it when you're looking at ships with millions of HPs you still need a high DPS or you'll be grinding forever.

Thanks for the information. I was hoping for something more tactical in nature. Not necessarily a trinity experience but structured scenarios requiring a variety of play styles.

A couple of questions....

1) Does the above apply to ground combat as well?
    2) Is there much ground PvP?
  • bigbado93bigbado93 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sgtschatz wrote: »
    New to old players can learn a lot from Ryan STO. He is one of the games top players. He will most def help anyone raise there dps bar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR4r_JJknl8&list=PLMuD-YI-u3TnphAERG7O1R4oeMivCnrTB

I've tried so many times to get into this game and never can.

though I'd try again and was looking for tips and builds etc. As above people post that guys videos, but his videos are simply too long and numerous. It'shard to find what you want without having to spend the hours in watching all his videos to find that small section of info you really want.
    And from the sounds of the few mins I have watched, most of his videos are about endgame settings and gameplay, nothing much about leveling.

Just started a romulan delta recruit, and got to the Scan Dewa 3 mission for a new romulan homeworld, and I cannot defeat that first ship, I barely get one of it's shields red, and when I do all mine are red and hull is at 50%

I am centuraisn 15, yet just realised I need to spend my skill points, but can only do the lieutenant ones, the centurionsones are locked.
    Still with some of the skills set I keep dying to this first ship in this story mission!