test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

BREAKING: “Trek” on Track for TV Return?

13»

Comments

• Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think Star Wars is what JJ wanted to do all along. I mean, Kirk is the farmer son of a space hero who gets dragged into a conflict with an enemy capable of destroying planets.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So basically you want to watch Babylon 5.

It's not coming back, dude. I know with X Files making a comeback that everyone is hoping their favorite series can come around as well, but you need to face fact that B5 is not going to be on that list.

Let them go, Jim.

Just let them go......

Um no.

I want Trek that's pre-TNG, preferably a similar feel to the TOS movies.

When you go back to watch pre-90's space opera shows and movies, space always feels like this dangerous abyss full of mysterious wonders. Sometime during the 90's, space opera began to be written differently and going to another star system was like taking a walk to the corner shop.
    jonsills wrote: »
    But the '09 movie was traditional. Action, adventure, Kirk saving the day with a combination of fisticuffs and cool dialog - it's what we were really hoping for from TMP.

To a certain extent I agree, the problem is though the writing itself is pretty awful. Kirk is pretty much a jerk and an over-the-top parody of the original Kirk, taking memes and using them as character traits. In fact parody is a good description of JJ Trek.

The TOS movies basically did right what the JJ movies did wrong, being what was effectively a reimagining of the 60's series (even though it's a continuation), updating it for the then modern audiences. Wheras the TOS movies tried to update everything for modern audiences, JJ Trek tried to evoke 60's Trek, which is why at times it feels so much like a parody (that and the terrible writing).

(on a much much shallower note, I'm not a fan of cruisers being flown about like Star Wars space fighters. I'm more for tense suspenseful naval-like space combat than zipping dogfights).
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Fair enough, though I don't see why STO and the proposed-TV series couldn't exist side by side as slightly-different continuities that branch off. The fact that the Pokemon TV show doesn't follow the Pokemon games doesn't seem to hurt either.

It's fine that the TV show doesn't follow STO. But the problem for STO is that they are bound to follow canon, meaning a TV show set anywhere near STO's time period would tie the hands of the devs and limit what they could do.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    rambowdoubledashrambowdoubledash Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Fair enough. Like I said, I mostly just like what I suppose the state of the universe will be on the far side of the Iconian War, and think that it would be fertile ground for a new series.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    The worst of the TNG episodes were still better than the best episodes of Enterprise. Face it, Enterprise, despite having a solid cast was a stinker due to bad writing and having Brannon Braga in charge of it.

That man is the one who pulled the chain to flush Enterprise, and Star Trek down the crapper.

Hardly. If you're really going to claim that TRIBBLE like 'Code of Honor', 'Justice' (and hell virtually all of TNG Season One with perhaps the exception of the first 20 minutes of 'Conspiracy'); was better written than ENT; you really have rose colored glasses when it comes to TNG or you honestly never really bothered to watch ENT - and don't have much of a personal basis to comment on.

I saw both series first run; and if you're honest, there's NO WAY TNG Season one episode writing was better than Season one of ENT - which aside from 'Terra Nova' was quite decent and WAY ahead of the TRIBBLE they were doing for TNG Season one. Again, had TNG NOT been the first new 'Star Trek' based series in 18 years; it never would have gotten the ratings or a renewal. At the time even Star Trek fans did realize it was in fact TRIBBLE, but we all hoped it would find it's footing - which is did, BUT, it wasn't until it's third season (interestingly enough much like ENT which also got quite good in it's third and especially fourth and final season) that TNG became somewhat watchable from a writing perspective.

What killed ENT was the Paramount merger and Les Moonvies, who never liked Star Trek much and honestly had TNG, DS9, Voyager been the series on when he took over, any of them would have gotten the axe after they had about 100 episodes in the can (the minimum for a stripped daily syncdication package deal.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sure, I'm more than willing to blame Paramount (and by extension Bad Robot) for Star Trek's lack of TV series.

Don't get me wrong, I watched JJTrek and managed to enjoy it for what it was. A homage to Trek. I watched Into Darkness... and Cumberbatch as Khan still creeps me out to the point where I have no need to see it again. If/when a third movie comes out, I'll probably watch that one too.

Abrams' insistence that his Trek be the only Trek and ignoring millions of TOS/TNG fans was a stupid move. But nowhere near as bad as the earlier decision to fracture the IP with a bad licensing deal that led up to JJTrek. CBS should have gotten ALL the rights to the IP, with Paramount getting its cut of the royalties for the previous movies and the option to produce the next three movies.

Marvel Comics learned the hard way what happens when a creative franchise leaves control of one owner and the issues with splitting off the movie rights. It's taken many years for them to reverse that. They're still at it.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I misunderstood. I thought they were making a "Breaking Trek" with a starfleet academy instructor dealing ketrcel white.

My bad.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    I misunderstood. I thought they were making a "Breaking Trek" with a starfleet academy instructor dealing ketrcel white.

My bad.

Ahhh! Drug reference!!! Ahhh!

(Nevermind me. I giggled. Good job.)
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    cptjhunter wrote: »

My bad.

"I am the one who beams in."
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,382 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    khan5000 wrote: »
    "I am the one who beams in."
    Except that he keeps getting stopped by the Heisenberg compensators.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    xandercorvusxandercorvus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Except that he keeps getting stopped by the Heisenberg compensators.

Yes!
    Brilliant!
    Finally the meshing of Star Trek & Breaking Bad references I've been waiting to see someone else say!
    :D
    "Join Date: Jun 2012" Says Cryptic's "new" forum system. I've been here since a week before launch, but SOME stuff just didn't carry over through multiple system changes/updates. :rolleyes: