test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Beware of Ferengi bearing gifts! A WARNING to ALL!

darpinkdarpink Member Posts: 341 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Ten Forward
I just want to share something that happened to me recently. Let it serve as a warning!

You can't even trust friends in STO!!

Been friends with someone in STO for over 2 years now. This person approached me last month with an offer to pay me Zen for my help in crafting Beam Arrays mk2 as "Templates". He was looking for specific mods.

This "Deal" was made around the 1st of Feb..
The Deal: I craft the mk2 beam templates until told to stop. Sending the ones that meet the requirements to the other player.
In return I will be paid 3k Zen around the end of Feb..

After crafting 500-600 templates and sending him the 10-12 that met his requirements, he tried to change the deal....now he only wants to give 80mil EC. Not what we agreed to.
I refused.
So he said, be patient and I'll pay the 2k Zen. (ok, now it's 2k zen) So 2 weeks goes by and I've still not been paid.

Then he brags to me about the 5100 Zen he just spent on the Command ship bundle. So I ask, when do I get mine?
He replies that I'm "rude" and he doesn't like how I talk to him.
Oh SORRY, I forgot to smile and say thank you while you TRIBBLE me over!!
He then unfriends me, put's me on ignore, and kicks me out of the fleet chat channel!!

And this is a "friend".
Post edited by darpink on

Comments

• Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    There is a greater Truth. And if it is on your side, then his soul is tainted and fate is a b*itch.

You may not see when he gets his. But he will.

It may not be consoling, but that's the way it is.
  • Options
    seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    And that is why I don't make trade outside an STO or Steam trade window. Those only work with the consent of both parties.

Also deals involving money are almost always bound to be shady. I wouldn't trade money value with someone like that unless its a friend (you know ACTUAL friend) that lives close to me.

In that case, if he scams me, I can pound his face in.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yeah...unfortunately the nature of an online transaction is such that the only safe way is to require immediate "in-person" payment through a swap the moment you hand over the goods. (I.e. Trade window.) Now, that said, in my fleet sometimes people agree to do things for free or at discount for each other because they just want to be nice, but the arrangement is *known.*

I would not have trusted the transaction you describe, I'm afraid. :(

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    There is an even greater Truth, however.

That Truth is that you cannot give Zen to another player. When he made the initial offer, it was a scam; had you made yourself aware of how currencies work in this game, you'd have known that.

(I wish you could give Zen to another player; then I could gather the Zen on my secondary accounts and give it all to my main.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    There is an even greater Truth, however.

That Truth is that you cannot give Zen to another player. When he made the initial offer, it was a scam; had you made yourself aware of how currencies work in this game, you'd have known that.

(I wish you could give Zen to another player; then I could gather the Zen on my secondary accounts and give it all to my main.)
    Actually, I do know that you can't trade Zen. But, you CAN buy a Zen card and give it to another player. Or so I'm told.

And I'll be happy to tell anyone that wants to know his @handle. But only in game.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    darpink wrote: »
    Actually, I do know that you can't trade Zen. But, you CAN buy a Zen card and give it to another player. Or so I'm told.

I would not give my mailing address to someone. Or assuming it's the number on the card they were supposed to give you, it is still not a secure and guaranteed transaction where at least in a trade window transaction, everyone must lay their "cards" on the table at the exact same time. And I don't know your friend at all, but who is to say that even if they have a legitimate card number, that they are not somehow trafficking in fraudulent transactions on their end? :-/

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    I would not give my mailing address to someone. Or assuming it's the number on the card they were supposed to give you, it is still not a secure and guaranteed transaction where at least in a trade window transaction, everyone must lay their "cards" on the table at the exact same time. And I don't know your friend at all, but who is to say that even if they have a legitimate card number, that they are not somehow trafficking in fraudulent transactions on their end? :-/
    Yep good points. Even if too late to matter.
    Normally I would not have been so trusting, but like I said, he WAS a friend and one of the first people I put on my friends list in STO.
    But yeah, I'm now thinking that he had no intention of paying up to begin with. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mrsinister82mrsinister82 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    No way man, in STO there is only a couple of people i do anything for.

One is my lass.... since... yeah... lol. So i craft stuff for her, buy her stuff, upgrade stuff for her etc in the game.

The other is my fleet leader who has been a star to us both and never asks for anything.

The end of the day, people are still strangers in the game.
    Treat them as such.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    this is why i dont have friends on the game or in real life;

you cant trust anyone behind a computer screen no matter how long you "think" you know them for, people can lie about anything being a keyboard warrior, even those on teamspeak are in the same boat, you can lie yourway through it without issue to make yourself look good. you can not know someone like that, you can only arrogantly presume you do. which leads me to state when people think they know me on these forums and i tell them that they are "presuming to know".

i dont care what anyone thinks or says about my paranoia on the subject, you cant fuly trust anyone online, thats the nature of the beast.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I've heard a few stories now, either from WoW or Eve, where a certain player will buddy up to a clan for over 2+years, then steal it in the wee hours of the night when everyone slept.

It wouldn't surprise me, to learn this type of thing takes place more often then not.

Moral of the story.. be careful who you place your trust in.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited March 2015

And I'll be happy to tell anyone that wants to know his @handle. But only in game.
    That is possible - but only in amounts of 2000 Zen (a $20 Perfect World card). Once the code has been used, all the Zen associated with it is in the original user's account, and can't be transferred.

(It may still be possible to find $10 PW cards, but I haven't seen one in over a year. And even then that's 1000 Zen. The 300 Zen price just won't work.)

If you're going to trade, and you're not using the Exchange, make your trade in in-game resources, either EC or trading for another item(s). You can still be ripped off, if they're fast enough to remove their offer from the trade window, but at least you have a chance. I still prefer the Exchange, though.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Out of curiosity, what were the beams you sent him ?
    You said he only wanted certain ones ?
    Were they all CrtDx3 ?

If so, I feel really bad for you..
    You could've made about 5mil per crtDx3 beam...

If they upgraded and got pen or over or even CrtDx4, they made a fortune off of each of those beams

The person youre dealing with is a real jerk, and cares about no one but himself. To make you do all that work for him, and then, have it not bother him that he hasent paid you...just wow.
    That's a true *******.

Never do anything like this again for someone. I'm sorry you lost time crafting.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    this is why i dont have friends on the game or in real life;

I assume by that you mean your friends are all people you're directly acquainted with, bnot that you have no friends :)?

But yes; it's much easier to scam / cheat / lie to someone when you don't have to look them in the eye.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Out of curiosity, what were the beams you sent him ?
    You said he only wanted certain ones ?
    Were they all CrtDx3 ?

If so, I feel really bad for you..
    You could've made about 5mil per crtDx3 beam...

If they upgraded and got pen or over or even CrtDx4, they made a fortune off of each of those beams

The person youre dealing with is a real jerk, and cares about no one but himself. To make you do all that work for him, and then, have it not bother him that he hasent paid you...just wow.
    That's a true *******.

Never do anything like this again for someone. I'm sorry you lost time crafting.
    Thank you!

The mods he wanted were: CrtDx2 or better, and Crtdx2 with any of these mods: Pen, Snare, Thrust and Over.
    I sent him at least 4 with Crdx3, the rest were a variety of the above mods.

And I could indeed have sold them on the exchange, but I was trying to help a friend and help myself in the process. I can't buy Zen ships with EC.
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    I can't buy Zen ships with EC.

Sure you can. Make alts, use EC to buy those alts contraband, do the contraband turn-ins, refine that dil, convert that dil to zen, use tha zen to buy your ships.

And never fall for "I'll pay you tuesday for a burger today," - unless they've signed a legally binding contract that includes some way for you to get your money back.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Sure you can. Make alts, use EC to buy those alts contraband, do the contraband turn-ins, refine that dil, convert that dil to zen, use tha zen to buy your ships.

And never fall for "I'll pay you tuesday for a burger today," - unless they've signed a legally binding contract that includes some way for you to get your money back.
    Indeed, not a bad idea depending on how much the Contraband is currently selling for. Then it's just a natter of refining the Dil.
    Cheers! :)
  • Options
    x6460x6460 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Should have had him paypal you the funds to buy the zen. Payment before transaction.

Be sure to let your mutual "Friends" know just how untrustworthy this person is so someone else doesn't make the same mistake.
    Finally decided to make a sig.
    I see allot of them with a character, and ship.
    though I'm not sure which ship to put on there...
    I'll think about it. This will do for now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Indeed, not a bad idea depending on how much the Contraband is currently selling for. Then it's just a natter of refining the Dil.
    Cheers! :)

Yeah man, I'm sorry you had this happen to you. At least you now know how to make good money in-game; selling CrtDx3 beams is one way for sure.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Some more warnings for the OP about situations they'll likely find themselves in:

That's not a Nigerian prince wanting to send you money.
    You didn't win a foreign lottery.
    That's not someone who needs help transferring money.
    That won't actually enlarge your genitals.
    That won't make you lose weight without a diet.
    That won't make you gain muscle without exercise.
    iloveyou.doc.exe is not from a secret admirer.
    Forwarding the e-mail won't win you a free iPhone.
    Gullible is not written on the ceiling, and is in the dictionary.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Yeah man, I'm sorry you had this happen to you. At least you now know how to make good money in-game; selling CrtDx3 beams is one way for sure.
    Yep, I'm well over 100mil EC in my Account, I don't really want to drain it too much because that is what I use for other things, like Accelerators for upgrading stuff and the occasional Lockbox Key or 2 mainly hoping for a good bit of Lobi.
    Thanks for the sentiment. Lost a ton of time and a good bit of resources, and get my feelings hurt a bit but I'm a big boy and I'll get over it. :cool:
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Some more warnings for the OP about situations they'll likely find themselves in:

That's not a Nigerian prince wanting to send you money.
    You didn't win a foreign lottery.
    That's not someone who needs help transferring money.
    That won't actually enlarge your genitals.
    That won't make you lose weight without a diet.
    That won't make you gain muscle without exercise.
    iloveyou.doc.exe is not from a secret admirer.
    Forwarding the e-mail won't win you a free iPhone.
    Gullible is not written on the ceiling, and is in the dictionary.
    The deal was made with a 2 year long friend...not someone I had only talked to once.
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    After crafting 500-600 templates and sending him the 10-12 that met his requirements

Unrelated to the scumbag. Were these [CrtD]x3 or [CrtD]x2[Pen] beams? If so, wow, 2% chance of crafting one.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Unrelated to the scumbag. Were these [CrtD]x3 or [CrtD]x2[Pen] beams? If so, wow, 2% chance of crafting one.
    Atleast 4 CrtDx3 and a variety of CrtDx2 with Pen, Snare, Over or Thrust.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    x6460 wrote: »
    Should have had him paypal you the funds to buy the zen. Payment before transaction.

Be sure to let your mutual "Friends" know just how untrustworthy this person is so someone else doesn't make the same mistake.
    Indeed, I'd have told pretty much everyone in the fleet about this.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I just want to share something that happened to me recently. Let it serve as a warning!

Been friends with someone in STO for over 2 years now. This person approached me last month with an offer to pay me Zen for my help in crafting Beam Arrays mk2 as "Templates". He was looking for specific mods.

The Deal: I craft the mk2 beam templates until told to stop. Sending the ones that meet the requirements to the other player.

After crafting 500-600 templates and sending him the 10-12 that met his requirements, he tried to change the deal....now he only wants to give 80mil EC. Not what we agreed to.
    I refused.
    So he said, be patient and I'll pay the 2k Zen. (ok, now it's 2k zen) So 2 weeks goes by and I've still not been paid.

Then he brags to me about the 5100 Zen he just spent on the Command ship bundle. So I ask, when do I get mine?
    He then unfriends me, put's me on ignore, and kicks me out of the fleet chat channel!!

And this is a "friend".

I feel bad for you bro. I had a similar problem a few months ago with a old friend of my with no moral as well.
    He was constantly looking for ec to borrow that he never really returned, so around last Christmas I kicked him from my friend list, put him on my ignore list and changed my privacy settings. Still that guy tried to reach me through our mutual friends to ask me WHATS WRONG WITH ME?
    I don't understand that people even when playing stupid games can be this stupid, heartless and unscrupulous.
    I really liked doing pve/pvp with him, and most of all we spoke the same language, but my nerves are limited ever since DR.
    I want like everyone to see the best in people.:(
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You don't only run into those sorts of people online.

They're not your friends, and never were.
  • Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited March 2015

I refused.

And this is a "friend".

Is this your way of making friends? Was just parking inside the jenolan dyson sphere - checking some stuff, just unlocked rock & roll... when he called me a "noob" out of the blue... even put me on the ignore list so it was not by mistake. Some people...
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    staq16 wrote: »
    I assume by that you mean your friends are all people you're directly acquainted with, bnot that you have no friends :)?

But yes; it's much easier to scam / cheat / lie to someone when you don't have to look them in the eye.

i dont have any friends, period. nor do i care to have any, but that doesnt mean i cant be playful at times :P.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015

I refused.

And this is a "friend".

Report him as a scammer with everything you just told us, add the TRIBBLE to your ignore list, and move on.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't even know that guy "darpink" and he called me a noob for what exactly? If he treats strangers like that, I dont wanna know how he was treating his so called friend. After all, I don't believe him anyways, since there are always two sides of a coin, especially not after this. He could have done some research to begin with, before making such a deal, even with a "friend" ... so imo, he got what he deserved...