test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Level 60/25

jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
It would be nice now that many players are level 60 to see how many spec points they have earned when looking at them

Right now I see a level 60 but I have no idea that he has earned 63 spec points.

If I saw a 60/63 I would know this player has did some big time grinding where a 60/3 not so much

I believe this would be a nice idea

Debate /..........
Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
Post edited by jellico1 on

Comments

• gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    All that would lead to is people being snobby in advanced/elite queues.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Just add up your unused/used spec points and add 60 - There you go, your 'true' level :)
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    burstorion wrote: »
    Just add up your unused/used spec points and add 60 - There you go, your 'true' level :)

Guess you didnt understood the OP. He wants to see the amount of spec points for another player, not the grinding he did for himself.

As for the OP's idea, I'm in bias. It would be yet another way for people to compare their e-peen in a game that supports this in large quantities already. On the other hand...... who cares about that anymore? People will get snobby anyway when a player performs below the acceptable level, and will blame something anyway. Why not the spec points.
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I guess it would kinda be useful for pvp, but since that is all but dead I don't really see a need for it.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Huzzah for Gear Score Innnnnnn Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • kharliskharlis Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would rather they spend time fixing things that are broken.
  • john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    That would lead to far to much exposure of what a pain in the TRIBBLE they have made spec point grinding. New level 60s would see people with 60+ spec points and ask how they got them, then be told that cryptic nerfed every way to get spec points into the ground and they are screwed. Got to keep them in the dark as long as possible so they keep spending money.
    edited March 2015
    john98837 wrote: »
    That would lead to far to much exposure of what a pain in the TRIBBLE they have made spec point grinding. New level 60s would see people with 60+ spec points and ask how they got them, then be told that cryptic nerfed every way to get spec points into the ground and they are screwed. Got to keep them in the dark as long as possible so they keep spending money.

Every other mmorpg has it where the game doesn't begin until max level and max raid tier. STO was a nice break from that.

It still kinda is as long as you can live off of R+D Assistance for purple crafting mats but there's always the nagging thought to become a member of the One True Main religion and forsake all other captains so you don't feel like a leech whenever you do bother to do queues.

If you're fresh out of any other mmorpg you'd see level 60 as the start of the game, not the end, with only 90+ more levels to go before you're max level and ready to start playing.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Every other mmorpg has it where the game doesn't begin until max level and max raid tier. STO was a nice break from that.

It still kinda is as long as you can live off of R+D Assistance for purple crafting mats but there's always the nagging thought to become a member of the One True Main religion and forsake all other captains so you don't feel like a leech whenever you do bother to do queues.

If you're fresh out of any other mmorpg you'd see level 60 as the start of the game, not the end, with only 90+ more levels to go before you're max level and ready to start playing.

I'm trying to parse this and having a bit of trouble...

STO had a, imho, decent leveling pace. Folks complained. STO got a blink and at the level cap with nothing to do. Folks complained. STO got Fleets. Folks complained. STO got easier Fleets. Folks complained. STO got Reputations, something to do. Folks complained. STO got Reputations that were done in the blink of an eye. Folks complained. STO got R&D. Folks complained. R&D got sped up. Folks complained. STO got Specializations. Folks complained. They're being sped up. (There's some overlap there, it's not a perfect chronological history.)

Now, obviously the folks complaining about nothing to do were not the same as folks complaining about something to do...it's just that it's been that back and forth, where instead of pleasing somebody and pissing off somebody - they're just yo-yo'ing and pissing off everybody (not necessarily everybody, just a figure of speech there).

Thing is, with all the Reputation - R&D - Specializations...there's no "endgame" tied to it. We don't need any of it for the "endgame" content we have.

And that's why I guess I'm having the trouble parsing what was said there compared to other games that come to mind. Cause those have some form of content progression that follows the other progression...STO just doesn't do that. We don't run Dungeon A to get stuff to run Dungeon B to get stuff to run Dungeon C to get stuff to run Raid A to get stuff to...etc, etc, etc. We just keep getting stuff to run Dungeon A faster and faster and faster and faster....
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We can see levels now and accolade points that has no effect on game play or groups.
    Don't see how spec points numbers will cause a problem.
    Maybe more people will feel motivated and proud of their achievements.

If displaying SPEC points is wrong then level and accolades need to be hidden so we have one standard
    download.jpg
    edited March 2015
    I'm trying to parse this and having a bit of trouble...

STO had a, imho, decent leveling pace. Folks complained. STO got a blink and at the level cap with nothing to do. Folks complained. STO got Fleets. Folks complained. STO got easier Fleets. Folks complained. STO got Reputations, something to do. Folks complained. STO got Reputations that were done in the blink of an eye. Folks complained. STO got R&D. Folks complained. R&D got sped up. Folks complained. STO got Specializations. Folks complained. They're being sped up. (There's some overlap there, it's not a perfect chronological history.)

Now, obviously the folks complaining about nothing to do were not the same as folks complaining about something to do...it's just that it's been that back and forth, where instead of pleasing somebody and pissing off somebody - they're just yo-yo'ing and pissing off everybody (not necessarily everybody, just a figure of speech there).

Thing is, with all the Reputation - R&D - Specializations...there's no "endgame" tied to it. We don't need any of it for the "endgame" content we have.

And that's why I guess I'm having the trouble parsing what was said there compared to other games that come to mind. Cause those have some form of content progression that follows the other progression...STO just doesn't do that. We don't run Dungeon A to get stuff to run Dungeon B to get stuff to run Dungeon C to get stuff to run Raid A to get stuff to...etc, etc, etc. We just keep getting stuff to run Dungeon A faster and faster and faster and faster....

I likeed the old drop reward system we had for the STFs, it gave you a reason to do it over again.
    Then another reason to do it again to help your fleet mate get his reward.
    download.jpg
  • solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Really bad idea, OP, as others here have pointed out. It seems that people want to find new ways to display their STO superiority to others; this reeks of petty vanity over real game substance.

Oh my star and garter belts, you just made a funny!
    edited March 2015

If you're used to other mmorpgs, dungeons B and C don't need to exist as long as the "levels" that would go with them do for them to become "necessary". Faster is always better and soon enough becomes mandatory by player standards.

Most other mmorpgs grind into you "max level and max gear score or go home!"

City even fell to the lure of the big boy raid pants at the end. STO is just going about it in a backwards fashion, adding all the level grind before adding the stuff that mechanically needs it, while it becomes socially necessary as Infected Conduit taking 15 seconds instead of 12 seconds is totally unacceptable.
    I likeed the old drop reward system we had for the STFs, it gave you a reason to do it over again.
    Then another reason to do it again to help your fleet mate get his reward.

RNG rewards without a deterministic fallback need to die in a fire and then have the ashes nuked from orbit and then to be sure that galaxy sucked into a black hole.
  • roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Meh... sure why not. I have 20 right now. I'm more curious how I got them than I am who else has how many. They just randomly show up on my specialization screen. It's kinda like a wonderful magical mystery present when I get one. I feel all warm and joyous knowing that little tinkling point is going to lead to a quicker death for some unsuspecting alien.
    edited March 2015
    If you're used to other mmorpgs...

MMO's have been my primary source of gaming since '97...all but exclusive source of gaming for the majority of that time.

But I don't have much experience in the F2P world...they're not really my thing. I've just been stumbling around with this game cause there's nothing out there that I would pay for that I could run on my ol' toaster.

I'm a bit of a MMO snob, I guess, when it comes to F2P games.
    edited March 2015
    MMO's have been my primary source of gaming since '97...all but exclusive source of gaming for the majority of that time.

If you raided it's good to see that someone actually made it out of the grind with some sanity left.
    edited March 2015
    If you raided it's good to see that someone actually made it out of the grind with some sanity left.

Heh, I stopped raiding back in 2008 or so...but it's a trip at times thinking back to trying to get 20-40 people to stand on top of each other and think that we were having fun doing that.

Course, brings back bad memories too. RIFT, PvP server, PvP guild...doing queue and world PvP - having a blast. Next thing I know, folks are AFKing the queues, world PvP's dead, and everybody's off raiding.../facepalm.
  • gamer940gamer940 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    burstorion wrote: »

Actually for the number of specialization points beyond 60 you have, you would need to add up all the used and unused points and then subtract 10 from that total (to accommodate the ones you get from 50 to 60).
    edited March 2015
    gamer940 wrote: »
    Actually for the number of specialization points beyond 60 you have, you would need to add up all the used and unused points and then subtract 10 from that total (to accommodate the ones you get from 50 to 60).

This is not "Core Math" a level / number of points is simple enough.
    download.jpg
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015
    john98837 wrote: »

Excellent point it could be a moral buster to someone who just got their first spec point past 60 and saw how long it took them to get it
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Something not needed in the least that could potentially be broken or break something in development.

110% pass.
    edited March 2015
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Something not needed in the least that could potentially be broken or break something in development.

110% pass.

Ok then based on that thinking no more updates, expansions, or patches hate for something to potentially become broken.
    download.jpg
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Not needed and not wanted.

Standard character progress is in levels. A number and this number is always shown with the character. Now MMORPG can go on forever and ever. We start with level 1 and go to .... level 10, 100, ... 1000, ... perhaps, because we can go on and on.

Although levels are always shown on characters. It can be frustrating for a level 1 to see a level 1000. Do I have to get so many levels?

Cryptic has added, in my view, a very nice character progress system with reputation and specialization. They can add more and more of it, but only 4 reputations and 2 specializations can be used, can be active.

As I said, having shown everything the character has as progress, can be frustrating for new low level players and then, if you want to know how far a player is, you can ask him or her. Some will not answer you, but I think most will do. This character that is talking here is level 55. My spec points are in commando and intelligence. Dyson is full, Nukura, Romulan and Omega are full too.

Just ask. Are you afraid to talk to people?
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lianthelia wrote: »

Do you REALLY want that to be the standard that keeps things out of the game?

That's not the bar Cryptic sets for itself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!