test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Time commitment and gear requirement for Crystalline event

farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
How long does it take to do Crystalline Cataclysm, including the queue and the fight itself? Is it a "participation ribbon" event like the 5th Anniversary minigame, or are there actual gear requirements (even for Normal)?

I ask because I have six characters between 50 and 60, with gear ranging from purple/yellow all the way down to the common items that came with the ships (the free level 40 promotion ships, for some of them). Can my non-geared alts get Crystal Shards without being a burden to the team and ticking people off? If so, would it be realistic to complete it six times in an hour or so?

I probably don't strictly need that torpedo on more than a couple of my characters, but I'd really like to get it for all of them if possible, because I don't like the notion of Gone Forever.
Post edited by farranor on

Comments

• Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Buying some cheap Mk12 green stuff off the Exchange wouldn't hurt for the undergeared characters, but its generally not that hard an event. A thoroughly average pug is 15 minutes at most and some teams can finish it in under 3. Mostly its just avoid getting rammed by shards, avoid the blasts at 66% and 33%, and use your heals liberally while keeping up steady fire. If you're worried about a character being underpowered, just stick to Normal; the reward token is the same no matter what difficulty you're running on.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    That sounds very doable; thank you.
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    by the end of the "event" you will want to stick hot nails in your eyes before doing it again.

you have to do it like 14X.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    by the end of the "event" you will want to stick hot nails in your eyes before doing it again.

I've done this event every time since they started it. I haven't played CE since the last time, and I'm already tired of it. :(
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Sci abilites are you best friend for this one.

1) Tachyon Beam - Best ability to remove the 2% damage stacks regardless of flow caps skill. There are others, but this one can be used by anyone and is more effective than the others.

2) GW with aftershocks doff or TBR to deal with the shards.

3) Stay away from the blast radius UNLESS you're in a Voth ship with the damage reflection console. Just put up the shield about 5 seconds before it blasts you. You'll get to hit the CE back hard and sustain absolutely no damage.

4) Now that the aceton assimilator drain has been fixed. Spamming those around might be useful.

As far as hitting it, I think kinetic builds do better against it. A part gens build should be pretty good at dealing damage to it since exotic damage is basically kinetic damage with another name.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    3) Stay away from the blast radius UNLESS you're in a Voth ship with the damage reflection console. Just put up the shield about 5 seconds before it blasts you. You'll get to hit the CE back hard and sustain absolutely no damage.

Did they fix that thing where you can remain at <1km from the Entity and not get hit by the blast?
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Did they fix that thing where you can remain at <1km from the Entity and not get hit by the blast?

Yes, that has been removed. You take full damage now at point blank range.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    gamer940gamer940 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yes, that has been removed. You take full damage now at point blank range.

That is unfortunate. I thought it was a pretty good strategy (and good for really learning to control your ship) to have that.
  • Options
    baconmaesterbaconmaester Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I was in my Phantom the other day when someone popped the CBCs Shield Bubble (Cant remember its name right now) but I only took about 15% hull damage while within the Shield Bubble from the blast.
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    gamer940 wrote: »
    That is unfortunate. I thought it was a pretty good strategy (and good for really learning to control your ship) to have that.

Ditto - I thought it was 'functioning as intended'.... should have known better.

Ah well, singularity leap in my scim is still a boon... would be cool if we could craft a [sonic] ship weapon that does extra damage to the CC...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    oneratsonerats Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's just a regular CC run, nothing strange or unusual so far as I recall. A decent team can blow through it in moments, and it'd be half a moment if it wouldn't stop to charge it's AoE twice. A well geared ship doesn't even die to the advanced explosion, and you can Rock/Roll out of it anyway. On normal, my fighters even survive the explosion fairly regularly. Unless everyone on the team is rocking level 40 white gear.. on normal, you're fine. On advanced, try to have something halfway decent. One or two players doing nothing at all makes little difference, but during this event everyone and their dead grandmother will be running it nonstop on alts they've never touched and likely won't again for a long, long while. Zoning in to find you're the only one doing anything at all can get rather old.. and I don't doubt that a good many teams will fail, as those with the dps will likely be running it within their own channels for convenience as blowing it up in moments is far preferable to spending a quarter hour beating it down (and possibly failing).
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I like Crystalline Cataclysm a lot more than I like the Crystalline Catastrophe. It would be nice if Crystalline Cataclysm became the standard daily event and something new would replace Crystalline Cataclysm.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I popped into visit The Entity today, just to refresh myself before the event. I remembered hearing the 1 km "safe zone" was gone, so I ran away when it got to 66% and 33% but as I ran away the 2nd time, I remembered hearing that Pilot's "Rock and Roll" is an effecive counter.

Is this correct?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    avoid the blasts at 66% and 33%

That isn't even needed anymore on regular or advanced.

Before shields up or not, it was instant death.

Now, full shields taking the blast, I'm usually sitting with 50%+ Hull and some shield facings still up.
  • Options
    torgaddon101torgaddon101 Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    what if you have some to do from the last event, that gave u the shotgun, do u have to reselect it?
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    huskerklg wrote: »

Now, full shields taking the blast, I'm usually sitting with 50%+ Hull and some shield facings still up.

Yeah but not everyone has good resists, and if the team has been sloppy with shards then the CE may have seriously buffed itself and that blast can hurt. Especially now with the optional blown if too many people die, probably better to show a little excess of caution just to be sure rather than tell everyone to Tough It Out and create the chance for a mistake that hurts not just you but your whole team. Plus the OP implied he wasn't particularly familiar with the event, and when you're new at anything better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    farranor wrote: »
    How long does it take to do Crystalline Cataclysm, including the queue and the fight itself? Is it a "participation ribbon" event like the 5th Anniversary minigame, or are there actual gear requirements (even for Normal)?

I ask because I have six characters between 50 and 60, with gear ranging from purple/yellow all the way down to the common items that came with the ships (the free level 40 promotion ships, for some of them). Can my non-geared alts get Crystal Shards without being a burden to the team and ticking people off? If so, would it be realistic to complete it six times in an hour or so?

I probably don't strictly need that torpedo on more than a couple of my characters, but I'd really like to get it for all of them if possible, because I don't like the notion of Gone Forever.

14 days of normal CE, 10 minutes each day per toon. you will need reasonably good shields to withstand the CE attack and some boff heals, the CE beam hits can be lethal if left unchecked long enough, otherwise, standard mk12 common beam or dhcs would be enough to take part, as long as you provide enough damage over the duration, you should be fine.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I seem to recall that the pulse will still get you if it starts as you are within 10km, even if you try to outrun it. Similar to how torps calculate the impact the second they leave the tube so running is no good.

With that in mind even using rock and roll might not be a fail-safe unless you hit it just before the blast is activated.

As for weapons, well I find a GW3 and gravimetric torps does some really bad damage to it. Lovely to see the Tholian + shards washing machine effect centered round the entity! Plus all that overlapping damage can kill multiple targets, good way to clear out the larger shards.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    admiraltroikaadmiraltroika Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    CCA is literally the easiest advanced queue. You could faceroll it with mk 11 greens, no problem.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Multiplied by six characters, that's 84 times. Yay!
    onerats wrote: »
    It's just a regular CC run, nothing strange or unusual so far as I recall. A decent team can blow through it in moments, and it'd be half a moment if it wouldn't stop to charge it's AoE twice. A well geared ship doesn't even die to the advanced explosion, and you can Rock/Roll out of it anyway. On normal, my fighters even survive the explosion fairly regularly. Unless everyone on the team is rocking level 40 white gear.. on normal, you're fine. On advanced, try to have something halfway decent. One or two players doing nothing at all makes little difference, but during this event everyone and their dead grandmother will be running it nonstop on alts they've never touched and likely won't again for a long, long while. Zoning in to find you're the only one doing anything at all can get rather old.. and I don't doubt that a good many teams will fail, as those with the dps will likely be running it within their own channels for convenience as blowing it up in moments is far preferable to spending a quarter hour beating it down (and possibly failing).
    running it nonstop on alts they've never touched and likely won't again for a long, long while
    Yep, that would be me. :)

I'll try to get some [Ap] shields and Parametallic Hull Plating consoles.
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    I seem to recall that the pulse will still get you if it starts as you are within 10km, even if you try to outrun it. Similar to how torps calculate the impact the second they leave the tube so running is no good.

With that in mind even using rock and roll might not be a fail-safe unless you hit it just before the blast is activated.

As for weapons, well I find a GW3 and gravimetric torps does some really bad damage to it. Lovely to see the Tholian + shards washing machine effect centered round the entity! Plus all that overlapping damage can kill multiple targets, good way to clear out the larger shards.
    It sounds like it targets you if you're within 10km, so if you're not outside of that at the moment it fires, the pulse will travel to you, and you have to use defensive abilities as it hits you - similar to being attacked with torps. Correct?

Is there a countdown on a buff timer or something to give you an idea of when to do things?
    CCA is literally the easiest advanced queue. You could faceroll it with mk 11 greens, no problem.
    I'll faceroll it in Normal, then. :)
  • Options
    dllmmodllmmo Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The damage from the pulse WILL hit you if it releases while your are within the 10KM area.

It's a delayed reaction, like the torpedos. Damage occour instantly, but the result are when the graphics follows up. The moment it fire, everything is calculated and will be applied accordingly.

- Quantum torp builds on Sci vessels are fun here :)

*EDIT* There's a notification that the Entity are building up power and a build up progression box above the Entity.
  • Options
    blessedladyboyblessedladyboy Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The pulse blast dies way less damage than it used to before the 1km fix. I still just sit there and that's in my tac sci whatever, most I've gone down too is 50% hull.

Tldr u don't need to clear to 10km.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    what if you have some to do from the last event, that gave u the shotgun, do u have to reselect it?

You have several slots for events .
    Just choose an unoccupied slot to cash in .
    FYI this event won't award the shotgun . This isn't Mirror Invasion .
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Is there an updated comprehensive strategy tutorial video on the CE for noobs? Only played the CE once years ago vs the OLD one. If I decide to take it on again, Id like to have a clue what Im doing with my medium equipped casual ships. Someone link the video or make a new one please. If the STO wiki doesnt already have great tutorial videos with good info for noobs on every PvE thing in the game, it should. We need Starfleet Academy instructors making videos with good build knowledge. Suggestions on casual gear loadouts for just enough to get you by on each difficulty, and elite gear knowledge for those who want to rip npcs to shreds in seconds. SarcasmDetector, this sounds like a job for you. Teach us Master Yoda! Make walkthrough videos with a ship dressed down in casual gear, just enough to get by, relying on strategy to make up for gear, then the last half of the video is using supreme gear and shredding opponents.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    baconmaesterbaconmaester Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Is there an updated comprehensive strategy tutorial video on the CE for noobs? Only played the CE once years ago vs the OLD one. If I decide to take it on again, Id like to have a clue what Im doing with my medium equipped casual ships. Someone link the video or make a new one please. If the STO wiki doesnt already have great tutorial videos with good info for noobs on every PvE thing in the game, it should. We need Starfleet Academy instructors making videos with good build knowledge. Suggestions on casual gear loadouts for just enough to get you by on each difficulty, and elite gear knowledge for those who want to rip npcs to shreds in seconds. SarcasmDetector, this sounds like a job for you. Teach us Master Yoda! Make walkthrough videos with a ship dressed down in casual gear, just enough to get by, relying on strategy to make up for gear, then the last half of the video is using supreme gear and shredding opponents.

The Tholians at this time do not matter. Many players still engage them but unless you have a good group of Players that can produce the DPS needed to swat the Tholians quickly and efficiently they should probably be ignored. Again. You will probably end up with a group that goes for the Tholians first. Even though the Tholians are not included in the mission bar and their destruction or lack of destruction has no affect on the mission bar.

The CE has a 4+ minute timer on it. The better the DPS output of the group the less time youll need of this countdown. But considering how close it can come sometimes even with a good group. No amount of time should be wasted.

The CE has a AoE attack that is triggered once its HP is reduced to 65% and 35% respectively. Both times the CE will absorb energy (except kinetic I believe, so you should still be able to hurt it with torps...might have to double check that though) and once the CE is full it will release the AoE and hit anything within the 10km radius. Including under 1km. Its best not to take any chances with this and try to tank through it. Simply Evasive Maneuvers out of the 10km range and wait for the blast. The Optional requires no more then 30% of the ships in the instance be lost to the AoE attack either time.
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ^ Thanks. And how do I play my gravity wells and tykens rifts? Is there a certain distance from CE that helps, wait for an incoming cluster, or what. Its still just pound the entity and dodge shards right. Does my hardened bubble shield on my Vesta defend against shards or do they go right through that? And my quantum purple force field thingy, does that push shards away from me and those close by? Are my Vestas the best thing to bring into the CE for their science abilities? Does anti matter spread do anything to shards?
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    dllmmodllmmo Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Would go with Wells over Rifts. Rifts offers lesser damage and no other useful part to the Entity.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    huskerklg wrote: »

Using brace for impact also helps reduce the damage from the shockwave
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Since the thread is here, thought I'd ask...

If we have a nice TBR with GW on a sci ship, which direction should we be pushing the CE with the TBRs? Or does it matter? I don't want to be flamed for being on the wrong side of the CE when I activate my TBRs...

Thanks!
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble