test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So the tier 6 command ships are a new Typhon.

nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Federation Discussion
On the weekend i decided to make a Klingon engie, my Ferasan was all on his lonesome surrounded by feds so i said "why not".

I did notice that the missions early on in the game the ones that used to have the typhoon as the fed battleship now spawn command cruisers.

While i dont remember craptic saying that it was a Typhoon 2.0 at least in the story so far it seems like it is.
0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
Post edited by nickcastleton on

Comments

• Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I just tested this in the Foundry and it looks like you're right. Plenty of Corcordes and Presidos, but no Typhoons.

One side effect I noticed is that the mirror universe Typhoon battleships don't seem to spawn at all. Which is a problem... :eek:
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think the Geneva class is a replacement for the Typhoon, im alright with it though I think they should do this to npc ships:

Galaxy class ---> Venture class
    Intrepid class ---> Bellephron or Pathfinder class (minus Voyager)
    Sovereign, Majestic, and Noble classes ---> Regent class (minus Khitomer)
    Defiant class ---> Sao Paulo class (minus Belfast)
    Hermes class ---> Tempest class

And so on
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I've noticed this too.

It seems all over the game typhoons have been replaced with the command ships. Its an interesting development.
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I smell a Retgone in the air.

Like the Bathtub Boat.
  • Options
    bravecatherinebravecatherine Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Probably the next tier of ships and specialization have to be with Battleships.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    reynoldsxd wrote: »
    I smell a Retgone in the air.

Like the Bathtub Boat.

The Jupiter still turns up in a couple of story missions.

Replacing the Typhoon in the earlier missions would make no sense story-wise, since the command vessels technically didn't come online until 2410 in-universe.

It would be nothing more than cheap marketing if that was the case.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Interesting.

I wonder if they'll alter the Photonic Fleet ability, because it still spawns Typhoons.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I noticed this yesterday when I was replaying "Surface Tension". When Shon shows up at Qo'noS with backup, he used to come in with several Typhoons. Now they're all Genevas.

I'm going to choose to look at this as glass half-full and believe that the reason the Typhoon has been taken out is because the current model is out of date and that a T6 Typhoon is in the works. :P Cryptic is well aware that the playerbase would like to see a playable Typhoon in the game.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lessley00 wrote: »
    I think the Geneva class is a replacement for the Typhoon, im alright with it though I think they should do this to npc ships:

And so on

Ugh, nonononononononono no. Most of those are horrendous looking monstrosities. Have them in game sure, but have them alongside the older classes rather than just straight up replacing them. It wouldn't make sense for all of those classes to be totally replaced with less than half their design lifespans elapsed.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Blatant marketing is blatant.

Remember how the Wells Sci Vessel NPCs "mysteriously" showed up in NPC Fed Battlegroups before the ship was officially released?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    So it looks like all the "unscripted" Typhoon appearances are now command cruisers. The only exceptions I've seen so far are the U.S.S. Athens in "War Games" and the battleship that spawns if you use Fleet Support as an Admiral.

I always hated the Typhoon, so I'm okay with this. But they really need to fix the mirror universe ships.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Unless it was a mistake on their end with placement. Cause the older stories it won't work since those ships are so new.

I hope this means they are reworking the Typhoon over and release it soon. I will be all over that ship.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Today, in CCA, I saw Mirror Typhoons, and my Sci spawned Holo-Typhoons.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    the Typhon is finnaly gone? that almost makes me want to start playing again!

GOOD RIDDANCE
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    the Typhon is finnaly gone? that almost makes me want to start playing again!

GOOD RIDDANCE

It's still the only ship that will be called in as fleet support and via holographic fleet and I don't get why. Not even because it's *among* those but why is it the *only* one? It should be random draw from all T5 and T6 cruisers available or e replaced with a command ship as well.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Was replaying surface tension and noticed the command bcs - Also, they apparently have the full console set, the fleet's dropping support platforms all over the place.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Replacing the Typhoon in the earlier missions would make no sense story-wise, since the command vessels technically didn't come online until 2410 in-universe.

So was the uniform change over for Starfleet officers and yet missions set in 2409 have them using the Odyssey uni. Not to mention the Renown in the tutorial now being a Regent class.
  • Options
    zztophat1zztophat1 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Was replaying surface tension and noticed the command bcs - Also, they apparently have the full console set, the fleet's dropping support platforms all over the place.

Oh man, now I wish fleet support was a command cruiser, I would love to see that dropping platforms.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    zztophat1 wrote: »
    Oh man, now I wish fleet support was a command cruiser, I would love to see that dropping platforms.

That would motivate me to put more points in commander to cut down the cool down time for fleet support down to 5 mins.
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Talk about a not so blatant attempt to phase out the Typhoon.

Too bad you still get one in fleet support and photonic fleet. THE TYPHOON WILL LIVE ON!!! (and maybe become playable at some point). Where else will we get our 2k per hit BAs and ludicrously massive torp spreads that deal insane damage per salvo?
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    There's a couple of Typhoons still in “Fluid Dynamics”. Incidentally, I was pleased to see a couple of the new command ships show up with the Enterprise in “Surface Tension” at the end, though that might have just been a random occurrence.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    armitage95armitage95 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It is interesting that Cryptic seems to actually be phasing out a ship from the game. Then again, the Typhoon, to me, just seems a bit more boring and outdated than any of the command ships, so it's not suprising.

While not exactly related to this thread, I would like to say that the Chimera also seems to be being used a replacement for the Typhoon. Last time I played Second Star to the Right..., the DeWitt was a Chimera, complete with it unloading a Phaser Lotus on me, and one appeared in the Enterprise's group in Surface Tension.

You have to wonder when the Jupiter is going to be phased out...
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I'm surprised the Jupiter is still around at all. We have the Galaxy-X and Odyssey already, and they do appear to be randomly spawned mobs. I expect the Jupiter will be gone soon.

Good riddance.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lessley00 wrote: »

And so on

Jep they should.

But it wuold be no problem for me if they replaced the Voyager, Khitomer and Defiant (and Belfast) with the new classes.

They had to redo some missions but even the 1701 got a total upgrade between TOS and TMP so it would be cool if the Defiant and Belfast got the Sao Paulo upgrade, Voyager to pathfinder and Khitomer to Regent.

They wouldnt be the "iconic" ships anymore but lets be serious, more than 30 years after Voy and DS9 those ships are already old. They must have gotten some Upgrades in the meantime and every Upgrade has its limits so it would be only logical to assume that they added some new Design elements too ergo: Regent, Pathfinder, Sao Paulo
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Jep they should.

But it wuold be no problem for me if they replaced the Voyager, Khitomer and Defiant (and Belfast) with the new classes.

They had to redo some missions but even the 1701 got a total upgrade between TOS and TMP so it would be cool if the Defiant and Belfast got the Sao Paulo upgrade, Voyager to pathfinder and Khitomer to Regent.

They wouldnt be the "iconic" ships anymore but lets be serious, more than 30 years after Voy and DS9 those ships are already old. They must have gotten some Upgrades in the meantime and every Upgrade has its limits so it would be only logical to assume that they added some new Design elements too ergo: Regent, Pathfinder, Sao Paulo

Not really, if any it would be the Bellerophon-type. The Pathfinder is supposed to be an entirely different vessel, the Bellerophon is a refit of the Intrepid class. But30 years is not old for a starship. In canon, the Galaxy was scheduled for a service time of 100 years, a major refit every 25 years, retrofits in between. A refit means extensive upgrades and structural modifications (the the Venture in DS9). So a Bellerophon is basically a heavily modified and upgraded Intrepid and is in-line with the Sao Paolo and Regent refits.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,870 Arc User
    edited March 2015

It would be nothing more than cheap marketing if that was the case.

Coming online doesn't equate to our captains getting them (case and point: constellation).

Just look at the Regent class. Its part of the FED tutorial now, even though it was only added a year or two ago. Ditto Vesta class. The very fact that we have revamps (and an uncoupled calendar to boot) demonstrates that the chronology as established by the incidental events of game development do not trump that which is directly presented by the missions (as they exist at any particular point in time).

Now, the FED command ships were launched at some point prior to 2410. Its the new story.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Hum its a shame i have no extra slots, ive been wondering if the khitomer has been replaced as well from the fed tutorial?
    0bzJyzP.gif

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Hum its a shame i have no extra slots, ive been wondering if the khitomer has been replaced as well from the fed tutorial?

The Khitomer is a Noble-class cruiser. The change probably didn't affect it.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Though it might have effected the Renown if they hadn't already changed it to a Regent for the revamped tutorial.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

huh didn't it used to be a Typhon class?
    0bzJyzP.gif