test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

T6 Samsar Cruiser is... good. Really good.

prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
I have to say… I was a little hesitant about the Samsar Cruiser. I got too used to having hangars on my Galaxy X and Breen Carrier but, for my engineer at least, although the DPS is low the thing is a HELLATANK. Especially with elite fleet armor plating, consoles, etc.

I have it equipped with the full 4-piece Kobali set and have not yet completed its mastery but I have yet to actually die from anything. I have seen my hull drop below 30% on the odd occasion I try to go nose-to-nose with something but with Miracle Worker III, ET II and a variety of shield healing buffs I seem to be ok. Combine that with my GWIII, TRII and a few special gold consoles here and there and I can CC pretty ok as well when need be. I don’t actually use FAW, although I probably should… especially against Tholians.

Went into a Borg Red Alert and chased after a tac cube… shields went down with the Borg green whatchamacallit and hull took a hit but with only 2 other ships in the area the Borg went down pretty quickly and in the end my hull never dropped below 85%

I actually didn’t expect to like it as much as I do. Granted, a few more useful stations would be nice but in the end it is fairly balanced. Aside from my Rommie T5U Scimitar, my Samsar is my favorite ship of the line. Definately the best ship my engineer has captained.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
Post edited by prierin on

Comments

• Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    its a pretty good non-tac cruiser, I've had similar experiences with it, hardly have to heal yourself at all

I wouldn't use red alerts as a measurement though, they've been a joke for a while now, you can practically solo them with the way things are scaled
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    its a pretty good non-tac cruiser, I've had similar experiences with it, hardly have to heal yourself at all

I wouldn't use red alerts as a measurement though, they've been a joke for a while now, you can practically solo them with the way things are scaled

Except for Orellius you have always been able to Solo them with a good ship build. :P
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Yeah, the first thing I did was head into the Argala system on Advanced solo. The sheer number of ships tends to be a challenge but came out without really needing heals. Same with the Tau Dewa Tholian Alert which vcan ALWAYS be a challenge.

I have yet to attempt an STF, but not out of fear that my ship isn't up to the task. I fear the instafails... and now that we can get the APCs, etc. from ground runs I don't think I eed to hutty into an STF at the moment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    infydelinfydel Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The full Kobali set is really good at keeping you alive; I imagine that paired with the cruiser it was designed for (which I still haven't got round to trying), it makes for an extremely survivable beast.
    Vulcans are MEAN
  • Options
    oneratsonerats Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    In this game, dps is what is important. The highest dps ships have excellent defense as well, so a ship that sacrifices effectively all offensive power for slightly more defense.. really isn't good. At all. Frankly, there's a reason it's a free ship.. and that reason is that it's just flat out bad when compared to the other options out there.

The kobali set is another matter, and it is quite good at healing and/or reducing recharge times on heals. That'd be great.. if either of those things mattered much at all. Aside from the occasional one shot kill like a high yield torp sneaking through when your shields are down, if you're dying generally the problem doesn't have anything to do with healing. It's generally an issue of power levels, shield hardness / defense, or a lack of any ability to kill the other guy before he kills you.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    onerats wrote: »
    In this game, dps is what is important. The highest dps ships have excellent defense as well, so a ship that sacrifices effectively all offensive power for slightly more defense.. really isn't good. At all. Frankly, there's a reason it's a free ship.. and that reason is that it's just flat out bad when compared to the other options out there.

The kobali set is another matter, and it is quite good at healing and/or reducing recharge times on heals. That'd be great.. if either of those things mattered much at all. Aside from the occasional one shot kill like a high yield torp sneaking through when your shields are down, if you're dying generally the problem doesn't have anything to do with healing. It's generally an issue of power levels, shield hardness / defense, or a lack of any ability to kill the other guy before he kills you.

Sadly DPS is important. Thankfully it isn't the be all and end all of the game. Yes, I'd prefer if my Sammy had higher dps but given that it has high survivability it balances out. It takes me longer to kill them but it takes them even longer to kill me so in the end I win.

If I PvPd it would be a different story altogether.

I would love it if Cryptic brought back the trinity style gameplay where the three classes (heal/support, DPS, Tank) had specific roles to play in concert with one another. STOs biggest downfall to me is that there is no co-op play at all.

Sad, really.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    prierin wrote: »
    I would love it if Cryptic brought back the trinity style gameplay where the three classes (heal/support, DPS, Tank) had specific roles to play in concert with one another. STOs biggest downfall to me is that there is no co-op play at all...
    I must confess to being confused by this statement. While the 'trinity' isn't exactly rigid (after all, both science and engineering officers can crank out the damage with the right skills), it's by no means non-existent. And I've in the vast majority of my experiences with the game found folks cooperating handily; it's usually the case when you're running with fleetmates or happen across a random group who have some clue. For example: when running Conduit, you want someone who's willing to keep an eye out for the nanite units when they spawn and promptly drop a grav well on them... and at least one other player has to see this and bring the pain.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I must confess to being confused by this statement. While the 'trinity' isn't exactly rigid (after all, both science and engineering officers can crank out the damage with the right skills), it's by no means non-existent. And I've in the vast majority of my experiences with the game found folks cooperating handily; it's usually the case when you're running with fleetmates or happen across a random group who have some clue. For example: when running Conduit, you want someone who's willing to keep an eye out for the nanite units when they spawn and promptly drop a grav well on them... and at least one other player has to see this and bring the pain.

That’s kind of my point, tho. A ‘balanced’ game allows for solo play, for certain. Especially through the main content. As one begins to get into advanced or elite raids (stfs, etc.) the dependency upon the trinity should, in my mind, become incredibly important. STO has tried to level the field in the name of balance and, again in my opinion, has made the game more vanilla.

A group of engineers, science officers or tactical can go in and clear an STF easily eve thought each group is missing 2 of the 3 elements needed for true balance. This is why DPS is so important in this game – rarely anyone wants to be the carebear or punish tank. Everyone wants to shred… in essence, killing the spirit of the game.

There was a time when DPS dealers would compete to see who could dish it out more than anyone else whereas a tank would pride themselves on how much aggro and punishment they could sustain without heals. A healer would pride themselves on keeping the entire party alive and buffed at all times. Yes, there are some players that deal in support – I’ve been known to use extend shields III on other players in Conduit while they plug away at the Tac Cube but it’s far from the norm, isn’t it? The current “CO-OP” in STO is to join a group and go out a-killin.

I just think we’ve lost something important along the way….
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Both the Samsar and the Sarr Theln are remarkably good, for free ships.

The Samsar doubly so, since the Trait is good for any Sci or Cruiser and the console is truly a 'Get Out of Jail Free' card - especially in light of the boosted Tachyon Beams the Borg use.
  • Options
    oneratsonerats Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Losing offense to increase defense isn't in any way balanced, for several reasons. First, there are plenty of ships out there that don't have to make that trade. Second, offense is far more useful than defense.

The whole trinity thing never worked in STO. There was little need for a designated tank, as the damage output of enemies is extremely survivable (even negligible to an extent). For this reason also, healers are a complete waste. A player who concentrates on healing his team is almost totally useless, as any decent player should be able to keep themselves alive fairly easily. The only time you should really die is if an NPC gets lucky with a high yield torp while your shields are down. Even if healers were useful however, the design of STO makes them clunky at best. The range of heals are extremely limited (10k), and while this limit also applies to offense.. players are rarely within 10k of each other. In other MMO's being out of range of the healer is extremely unusual.. in STO, it's the norm.

As for cooperative play, there's a lot of it even without a trinity. You don't need a tank and/or healer to have to cooperate. In fact, the absence of these often significantly increases the amount of cooperation and planning needed (at least in other games - again, in STO it's just normal). At the highest levels of play teams plan out who will be using which team buffs when prior to beginning the run. Some teams bring along debuffer ships like a Recluse and almost all stack Beta attack pattern debuffs themselves. It's extremely common to plan out who's hitting which targets as well, for example a 3/2 ISA or a 2/1/2 Cure. We may not be completely dependent on each other, but we do have an overall strategy to work towards as a team.. which in all honesty makes sense, the trinity system itself is rather artificial and arbitrary.
  • Options
    paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Tanks and support ships are not needed nor preferred in low dps runs or slow runs in ISA or PuGs.

It is preferred to have tanks in hard hitting mobs in missions like HSE or support ships if you are going for record runs in ISA. those type of builds are more Premade friendly and PuG unfriendly.

Technically, you can have more DPS now when you had plasma doping/eap fix except you need to be in a specialized team with support ships. Also, support ships has been the reason why you have insane amounts of DPS even with all these changes. that 180k/170k DPS records all had support ships.

Going back to my experience with a Samsar, the samsar tanked/healed, another battlecruiser offtanked/buffed/healed while my scimitar did the DPS on a finished HSE. that means that samsar is taking aggro from 100K Dps ship.

So yes, tanks and support ships have a role in this game but you need to achieve a certain level of performance and coordination just to maximize those kinds of ships.
  • Options
    baconmaesterbaconmaester Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The Samsar, Presido, Concorde and Geneva are awesome Tanks.

I was reluctant to use the 4 Console set as I felt it would take away from my ability to do DPS, maintaining a solid power transfer rate and turn rate but after deciding it wouldnt hurt to see how it worked. I was rather impressed with the results.

Im a Tac Captain and rarely fly Cruisers but Im rather impressed with the new Command Ships. With the Kobali Set and the Four Console Set the Geneva I was flying really felt Tanky and to my surprise things blew up rather quickly even without all the CrtH boost Consoles I replaced with the Console Set.

Honestly apart of me feels like the Command Specialization and Command Cruisers, Kobali Set and Console Set represents where Tanks should of been 5 years ago. Used properly that set up would of been a boon to Engineer Captains and anyone on their teams. Things like this would of discouraged the DPS race in the game and provided a balanced Team set up.

Heres to hoping the next Specialization is Science Oriented and it provides the CCing/Healing side of the game the same sort of boost the Command Spec and Cruiser set up has for Tanking.
  • Options
    cyberpunk1977cyberpunk1977 Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Samser is awesome & Loving the set. I have also put the universal console on my Scimitar to go with the valdore console, Which has helped greatly with survivability :)