Install Arc
Options

RIP Leonard Nimoy

Comments

• Options
    polaris2379polaris2379 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    Wow, sad news my little world just got a little smaller.

Please powers that be can we have a permanent Leonard/Spock memorial somewhere in the STO universe?

Yes, this, totally this. Please, Devs, can we get a memorial on Vulcan?
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Tiny Spock will always give me such warm memories of Leonard Nimoy...

http://youtu.be/Ty2t0u12ORs

A tear and a laugh at the same time. This really was such a wonderful voice-over appearance.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My family raised me on Star Trek. Telling them that Nimoy is gone is one of the most difficult things I've done in a long time.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    *Vulcan salute* Peace and Long Life
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    LLAP. :(

/10 char
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    RIP Mr. Spock :( We will never forget you!
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Can't believe Dental has the gall to troll people in-game over this.

I do like that Cryptic has responded immediately to this sad news and I hope that they put up a memorial.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If anybody needs me, I'll be watching the end of Wrath of Khan over and over and bawling my eyes out.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    sander233 wrote: »
    If anybody needs me, I'll be watching the end of Wrath of Khan over and over and bawling my eyes out.

I'm going to watch "The Search for Spock".

And I'm going to imagine Leonard Nimoy sitting in the afterlife with Q, looking back on his life, and saying "you know, that was a good journey" or something like that.

And I'm going to try my best not to bawl because I'm in a dorm room.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    George Takei posted a couple of things to Facebook about this; he seems as torn-up as Shatner is. :(

I'm just going to come right out and say that as a socially-awkward nerd, Spock embodied a lot of who I was growing up and what I still am. Leonard Nimoy was and continues to be a major inspiration to me.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    After a day of trolling the people who were trying to pay their respects to Leonard Nimoy by spamming party balls on Vulcan, I've found the strength to celebrate the man himself as I have always remembered him: lively and full of humor. To think of Nimoy as simply "Spock" is doing the man a disservice, as he did a lot of maturing and soul-searching in the years after the show; first, ambivalence over being type-casted as Spock, then resignation, then acceptance and peace with his place in Trek canon.

The man was countless times more inspirational than his character ever was, and I extend heartfelt consolations to surviving members of his family.

LLAP

Wow. That was almost sincere.

Now apologize for trolling the impromptu mourning on Vulcan, and I may just believe in your sincerity.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,396 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    You were disrespectful toward the living, who honestly are the only ones who count - whether in one of a number of afterlives or simply nonexistent, Leonard Nimoy no longer cares what you or anyone else does to commemorate him.

However, there were those for whom it was a somber occasion. And you paraded through another man's funeral playing a kazoo and honking your clown nose, just because that's what you wanted to do. That was rude, at the very least. And if you truly want to honor the man's memory, you shouldn't be rude - he wasn't.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    As I've said, there's nothing wrong with a joyous celebration. You can remember Mr. Nimoy that way if you wish, and it is a good way to show respect for him.

The problem with the disco balls it that they disrupted people who wanted to show respect in a different way. It's one thing to say "lighten up, let's be happy for him instead of sad about him," and another to run around in circles dropping metaphorical stink-bombs everywhere and making things unpleasant.

If this happened once, you might argue that it was adding a personal touch to the occasion. But to continuously drop balls and rapidly switch between instances crosses the line from "quicky" to "malicious."

To interfere in this way with someone else paying their respects is disrespectful both to those people, and to the person you claim to celebrate.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I will miss Mr. Nimoy. He was a favorite actor, and his portrayal of Spock was one of the most iconic roles in science fiction.
    His battle with COPD, did inspire me to quit cigarettes two years ago.

Thanks again, Mr. Nimoy. For being so inspirational.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This just in:
    I want to once again express my heartfelt condolences to the friends, family, and fans of Leonard Nimoy. Everyone at Cryptic Studios was saddened to hear of his passing and we want to make sure we never forget the cultural impact of the man or the character he played. To that end, the Star Trek Online team will implement a standing in-game memorial to Spock and Leonard Nimoy this Thursday March 5th with our regular weekly maintenance.

In this way, we hope to keep his memory as alive in our game as he is in all of our hearts.

LLAP

Steve Ricossa
    Executive Producer
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    sander233 wrote: »
    This just in:

I knew I liked Ricossa for a reason.

I just thought it was his prompt bug fixes, not his excellent timing and general awesomeness.
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    We will miss him greatly:(:(
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    admiralbrad77admiralbrad77 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    RIP to a legendary actor, the great Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2015
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Leonard's last message before he passed:

"Life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

Mr Ricossa, please put this as his last message on the memorial.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    roroatan79roroatan79 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    May your spirit live on and prosper.
  • Options
    otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Farewell Mr. Spock, Leonard Nimoy you will be missed. I loved his portrayal of Samual in the Movie about David.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Rest in peace, Mr. Nimoy.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    He was my 11 year old sons hero and he cried when I told him the news, as did one or two other people I know.
    A childhood hero and role model for many on into adulthood.
    A good good man. And that final communique was a beautiful verse from a great wordsmith.
    One of those people who oddly enough and even given his ill health I just did not envision passing so soon.
    A great loss, but also a great memory and legacy.

EDIT: the funeral scene from WOK is sososo much more emotional to watch now. We watched it this morning and it was heavy stuff.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    searphsearph Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    and now we come to the close of the 5 year anniversary, the loss of Leonard Nimoy, Spock over shadowed what should have been a joyful time, many many tears have flowed over his loss to us all

i grew up watching Star Trek, it molded a big part of who i am, To boldly go where no man has gone before caught and held so many of us, it made us laugh and cry, watch in wonder as we followed the voyages of the starship Enterprise

I have got to meet a few of the crew at a some Star Trek conventions Shatner and Nimoy both at one and DeForest Kelley at another

My heart hurts at the loss of each of my Childhood friends

Take care my friends and second star to the right, and straight on till morning

Live Long and Prosper
  • Options
    ashnebulaashnebula Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Star Trek was instantly my favorite show [and still is] from the first episode, Spock was always my favorite character [with Dr. McCoy in second] and, at times, made me laugh. When I heard Leonard Nimoy had died, I think I cried for almost an hour. R.I.P Leonard Nimoy. And to all the Spock fans "Live long and prosper."