test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I don’t understand the economics of the exchange.

prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
Having raised the appropriate R&D schools to 15 and FINALLY getting an Aegis DOFF I can now make the Aegis set. I was short a few things to make the components and went to the exchange to get them only to discover they were rather cheap (150-180K). I then did a search for completed components and again was surprised at how cheap some of the blue and purple components were.

This surprises me when I do a search for an ultra-rare Aegis engine, Deflector or Shield and see how expensive they are. The profit is enough to make a Ferengi faint. Was I just lucky in finding these items at these prices or is there a untapped market for Aegis gear?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
Post edited by prierin on

Comments

• Options
    dwatt78dwatt78 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There is always one thing to understand about economics. People will charge whatever they feel that fools will pay for something. I believe the answer lies in the likelihood that few have bothered to finish level 15 or have any desire to make the aegis gear so there is a perceived lack of supply which is used as an excuse to charge a large amount of ec for it.
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    "everything is worth what the customer is willing to pay for it"
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There's also a question of time to gather the mats, having the correct doff, and leveling the school up to 15. Additionally, a lot of the sort of people who level a school to 15 and have the doff are probably already using something superior to Aegis anyways, so most of your potential market are people where purchasing is their only option anyways.
  • Options
    anyonkaanyonka Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    2 words Greed and lazyness
  • Options
    azntrigboiazntrigboi Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't think it's just a perceived lack of supply. If it was just perception, constant undercutting from multiple sellers would drive it down eventually. This R&D thing has been around long enough that I think perceived lack of supply is actual lack of supply. As you said, a lot of people probably just didn't bother with it, and there are enough people buying it to keep things going.
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Most of the Aegis crafted will only be very rare, with exchange prices probably lower than the cost of the components to craft it. The Aegis items that end up as ultra rare are in much lower supply, plus the demand is higher, hence the higher pricing.
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I know its hard to believe, but there actually are some decent people who will sell stuff at a fair price that most players can afford. Its rare, but every now and then it happens. Unfortunately, many of these good people are being taken advantage of. There may very well be many more cheap buys out there for those of us that actually need them, but they are usually being bought up entirely by greedy pricks who turn right around and sell them for 100 times what they paid for them. The exchange is a joke, a place for unsuspecting or stupid players to be ripped off by what generally amounts to crooks. And its just getting worse. This is one aspect of the game that I wish cryptic would actively regulate. Believe me, NOTHING is worth what some of these guys are charging. You'd be better off getting your gear and even ships at some third party site, like the divine treasury or something, if you have a few bucks to spend.

And to the playerbase in general; a lot of you want to see more PvP being done. But how can that happen when new or fairly experienced players can't even buy the stuff they need to be competitive? You expect them to have lvl 14 epic equipment, but you charge such a ridiculous amount of ec for just 1 upgrade kit that they can't even afford it. Stop being make up your minds. Do you wanna be virtually rich (how sad that I even have to ask) or do you want to have a challenging PvP match?
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    prierin wrote: »
    Having raised the appropriate R&D schools to 15 and FINALLY getting an Aegis DOFF I can now make the Aegis set. I was short a few things to make the components and went to the exchange to get them only to discover they were rather cheap (150-180K). I then did a search for completed components and again was surprised at how cheap some of the blue and purple components were.

This surprises me when I do a search for an ultra-rare Aegis engine, Deflector or Shield and see how expensive they are. The profit is enough to make a Ferengi faint. Was I just lucky in finding these items at these prices or is there a untapped market for Aegis gear?

Components are found in mat boxes. People get many of these from lock boxes, and then a whole sub-economy is born of people selling the boxes, people that buy boxes and split the stuff out and sell it, etc. Anyway, there are a lot of mats for sale and the bulk of them were not actually crafted by people ... because the raw materials are worth more than MOST of the components.

Its simple to understand if you know what is going on. People get free components, and they sell em, supply and demand drive the prices.

The price of most of the materials, components and resources alike, are also being driven by a few wealthy players who buy and relist them so the prices are usually artificially high via the monopoly strategy. If you can monopolize one thing for an hour, ppl start buying it no matter how goofy the new jacked up price is.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ghyudt wrote: »
    I know its hard to believe, but there actually are some decent people who will sell stuff at a fair price that most players can afford. Its rare, but every now and then it happens. Unfortunately, many of these good people are being taken advantage of. There may very well be many more cheap buys out there for those of us that actually need them, but they are usually being bought up entirely by greedy pricks who turn right around and sell them for 100 times what they paid for them. The exchange is a joke, a place for unsuspecting or stupid players to be ripped off by what generally amounts to crooks. And its just getting worse. This is one aspect of the game that I wish cryptic would actively regulate. Believe me, NOTHING is worth what some of these guys are charging. You'd be better off getting your gear and even ships at some third party site, like the divine treasury or something, if you have a few bucks to spend.

And to the playerbase in general; a lot of you want to see more PvP being done. But how can that happen when new or fairly experienced players can't even buy the stuff they need to be competitive? You expect them to have lvl 14 epic equipment, but you charge such a ridiculous amount of ec for just 1 upgrade kit that they can't even afford it. Stop being make up your minds. Do you wanna be virtually rich (how sad that I even have to ask) or do you want to have a challenging PvP match?

Getting better gear isn't a PVP vs PVE issue. It's an element with the game in general.

Also, you want things to be cheaper for you? Realize also that players want to turn a profit. The exchange works with what the market in STO says.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hmmm... well good for me, I guess. I am striving to hit at least 15 in all schools... then 20 just because.

I will complete this set for my alt (my main has the complete Samsar set and my 2nd Alt is a Rom) and then, because why not, I'll make more and sell em.

Might as well take advantage of the market whiule it's there.

Can we disassemble items to extract mats? That would be helpful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    no, you cannot take components or items apart for materials. You *should* be able to do this, but you can't. Then again, you *should* be able to mash GO on the replicator too....
  • Options
    realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    (I read the op and the first few replies)...

One thing to remember, you are seeing items that are FOR SALE..not items that were bought. I could post 10 Water Purification Systems for 10,000,000 EC - doesn't mean they'll sell.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    (I read the op and the first few replies)...

One thing to remember, you are seeing items that are FOR SALE..not items that were bought. I could post 10 Water Purification Systems for 10,000,000 EC - doesn't mean they'll sell.

another thing is how you sort the exchange. there are many cases where 1 item costs 50% more than a stack of the same thing. Buy the stack, peel one off, and sell the rest one by one and you end up with the item AND more money than you started with.

---

to the guy that wants regulation ... fine but you should suggest a viable working way to do that. Limit the # of posts / day? Hurts crafters trying to sell their goods. Bind all exchange purchases to prevent resale? Would crash the whole economy for good ... nothing would be worth vendor price anymore ... and on top of that, prevents the above peeling off a stack for what you want. Fixed prices for each item in the game? Too much dev time involved. Just about every "fix" causes problems for someone.... and just about every "fix" can be twisted into profits, all you do is change the rules, and trust me, ppl adapt fast to that.

I freely admit to playing the exchange. Its extremely fast money. I can live without doing it too... its boring. Makes for something to do while eating or waiting on a stf or whatever, but half an hour of that is plenty at one sitting. As for being virtually rich... well, the ships and such cost a good chunk of EC. I spend it as fast as I make it.

Let me put it to from another direction ... you can do it. Every player in the game can sit there and try to buy and relist everything all day. Its a mini-game and credits are the score. If everyone did that, it would quickly become a madhouse and unprofitable. Its a different way to grind EC, is all -- and a more effective one than selling vendor trash. People gonna do what *works*.
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ghyudt wrote: »
    Do you wanna be virtually rich (how sad that I even have to ask) or do you want to have a challenging PvP match?

I'm going to go with virtually rich. Why would I want to have any sort of PvP match?
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Ultimately, it depends on the price the buyer is willing to pay, but sometimes people sell things on the Exchange to simply get rid of them as quickly as possible. For example, I have had a hard time trying to craft Phaser DHC Mk II with [CrtD]x2 [CrtH] mods. I decided to look on the Exchange and found two of 'em selling for only 500 EC and bought them w/o even thinking.

But on the other end of the spectrum, I sometimes buy "undervalued" item and simply put them back on the Exchange at a higher price because I know people will eventually buy them. For example, Phased Biomatter Beam Array Mk XII seems to be in demand because every now and then when I seem them on the Exchange they sell for a relatively high prices. Over a period of time I purchased the [CrtD]x2 [CrtH] versions sell for relatively cheap and quickly purchased them. I then relisted them on the Exchange at prices I see them normally selling for and they are generally purchased within 3 weeks.

Though I have also sold gear relatively cheap on the Exchange just to get rid of them quickly like shields and warp cores.
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    How many copies of the various completed Aegis pieces are available?

It's entirely possible that someone or several people have chosen to monopolize the market, by buying up all the available stock and re-pricing it at some (usually significantly) higher value.

I saw this happen with the Mk XIII kit modules recently; every single one of the ones I was looking at doubled in price over the course of 7-10 days, including one which went up over 150%.

I would be inclined to believe that was due to natural market pressures, if there was any significant quantity available. The fact that at any given time, there was never more than 4-5 of a single kit module shows just how easy it was to corner that market for some easy profit.

At least the most expensive one, Rally Cry Mk XIII at upwards of 25m EC, is the most easily substituted with the UR Rally Cry Mk XII, which is functionally the exact same kit module.

If there are only a handful of each of the completed Aegis pieces up at any one time, and they seem to be tremendously overpriced as compared to the necessary raw materials, then it's entirely likely someone is actively controlling the market for them.

If there are dozens or hundreds of each piece, it would take a serious whale to control that market.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    noroblad wrote: »
    to the guy that wants regulation ...
    I wouldn't support any attempts to regulate the exchange, though I might support efforts to reduce what's available on the exchange.

Over the past few years, I've seen multiple games adopt an economic approach tailored around allowing a handful of players to profit tremendously by doing nothing but sitting at the exchange.

Besides facilitating the gold sellers (because that's what they actively do while their bots farm), it usually leads to severe restrictions on the average player, as developers indirectly attempt to curb these MMO-traders.

Overall, I think the AH mechanic has reached a point in MMO gaming where it's more harmful than beneficial.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Aegis is a special case since you need to be 15 and have a Gunare (sp>) doff, who is bound to character.

The odds of getting one from "Request R&D Assistance" are much lower than any of the other R&D doffs -- I've gotten 2 in 5-6 months with 9 alts, compared to stacks of the others.

Once you have that doff, you can only make 1 piece a day. For the (science 15) exotic particle gen console I could make 5 a day if I wanted to, using 5 cheap science R&D doffs.