test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Incoming Argala Nerf. Enjoy the grind!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Cooldowns are needed to ensure players play different content rather than the most efficient content. If there weren't cooldowns, people would just be hitting Crystalline Catastrophe constantly, maybe with an Infected run to mix it up, and everyone knows that. There is so much to do at endgame that you will never be in a situation where everything you can queue for will be on a cooldown. I really don't see the issue there.

I think adding an hour cooldown on patrols is excessive (but apparently, you don't get that if you opt for marks instead of the XP token?), but I can't deny that it has the potential to funnel more players into the queues. Especially if they make good on their claim that they're going to buff up queue rewards. I can see the logic behind it, but still...seems excessive to me. That's coming from someone who hardly every plays the patrol, let alone grinds them. Grinding's dumb, y'all.
    I don't know about you, but I only play the content I actually enjoy. Unfortunately, its' payout is really bad, in terms of XP, because guess what.. ground XP is much lower than space... You can't combine a bad XP payout and cool-downs in one, especially in missions which can be failed. And again, nothing wrong with missions having fail-option. There just needs to be more reasonable balance... which currently isn't there.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Typical Cryptic tactic. Take the one thing that's fun and useful and nerf the hell out of it instead of looking into making other content just as fun and useful.

This game is becoming more and more of a tired grindfest.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    While not unexpected, this nerf leaves me feel an unsavory game is being played on us. Only too recently, we heard Geko say the 2730 XP reward for finishing Argala got doubled. And it did. That was still an overall spec bar nerf, but okay. And now, of course, we see it nerfed again a few months later, after all.

You draw your own conclusions.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i only do Argala to gain ship mastery,if its gonna take longer people may be less inclined to buy more store ships.
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
  • Options
    deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    pwefail wrote: »
    i only do Argala to gain ship mastery,if its gonna take longer people may be less inclined to buy more store ships.

good point...and another example of cryptic not thinking things through.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Solution for the latest in a series of never ending nerfs?

Don't grind. Play what you like and to hell with the rest of it.

Don't worry about the Trees. They are shinys. Shinys arrive when they want to, not when you do.

Don't log in daily. I used to play for about two or three hours every day. Now I may skip a day or two and when I do log in, it is for just one mission or to Doff. I discovered since I don't play as much or for as long, I am far less likely to spend money on this game. I will still buy a card now and then but my days of being a whale are over.

Remember this is a game not a lifestyle choice. You really don't need all the Z Store stuff or the Lobi stuff to play the game. Just because everyone else has it is a poor reason to spend money on fluff or nonsense.

Play the game you want to play and let the rest go hang. Let's TRIBBLE up the metrics the suits set such great store by by doing parts of the game which earn no awards at all for a month. If I know I am being manipulated based on tracking data recorded on what I do in game, then I am honor bound to throw the biggest monkey wrench I can into the middle of that data.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I was going to grind Argala this xp-boost weekend, now i will just log-in doff & r&d and log out, like i do every-day.
    Cryptic makes it easy for me to leave this game... nerving everything i like to do.
    All they need to do now is nerv doffing to hell and i don't need to log-in any-more !!
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited February 2015
    If your content is so poor rewards so little that you have to put cooldowns nerf rewards on popular content

You need to improve rewards and increase and lower cooldown on your content that no one wants to play

Or actually make the content more fun

Remove the silly fail condititions they hurt public Qs more than anything else

Geko/cryptic you cant balance content in private pre made Qs man which you are doing

Do you want to know more ?
    Put your hand on the wall soldier !
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    bones1970 wrote: »
    I was going to grind Argala this xp-boost weekend, now i will just log-in doff & r&d and log out, like i do every-day.
    Cryptic makes it easy for me to leave this game... nerving everything i like to do.
    All they need to do now is nerv doffing to hell and i don't need to log-in any-more !!

Me too. I can't help feeling that Cryptic actually want people to leave the game. Between the nerfs and the bugs there's little point playing any maps at the moment.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Me too. I can't help feeling that Cryptic actually want people to leave the game. Between the nerfs and the bugs there's little point playing any maps at the moment.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I find it unhealthy for the game that Geko feels he constantly needs to do 'battle' with that top 0.01% of the players: they do well, and Geko keeps looking for ways to nerf them. It shouldn't be this way. A gaming company should not see itself in constant competition with its players, but rather work towards the benefit of both.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015

That was pretty much my plan for this weekend as well. But thanks to the person that actually thinks this is a good idea, I'll now be playing Rift, hell I might even purchase a patron pass, with money I'd got set aside to purchase my STO lifetime sub.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I find it unhealthy for the game that Geko feels he constantly needs to do 'battle' with that top 0.01% of the players: they do well, and Geko keeps looking for ways to nerf them. It shouldn't be this way. A gaming company should not see itself in constant competition with its players, but rather work towards the benefit of both.

Except Geko is not nerfing the top 0.01%. He removes advantages only after the 0.01% has already won, so he only hurts everyone but the 0.01%.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• Options
    skymagus00skymagus00 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't know about you, but I only play the content I actually enjoy. Unfortunately, its' payout is really bad, in terms of XP, because guess what.. ground XP is much lower than space...

This has been bothering me for some time. Why *should* ground have lower xp payout? Surely xp is a measure of memory, and therefore should be equal across all scenarios! It would also help encourage players to play more ground.
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited February 2015

probably the point is that was pretty much everyones plan.....
  • Options
    wintiemintiewintiemintie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Solution for the latest in a series of never ending nerfs?

Don't grind. Play what you like and to hell with the rest of it.

Don't worry about the Trees. They are shinys. Shinys arrive when they want to, not when you do.

Don't log in daily. I used to play for about two or three hours every day. Now I may skip a day or two and when I do log in, it is for just one mission or to Doff. I discovered since I don't play as much or for as long, I am far less likely to spend money on this game. I will still buy a card now and then but my days of being a whale are over.

Remember this is a game not a lifestyle choice. You really don't need all the Z Store stuff or the Lobi stuff to play the game. Just because everyone else has it is a poor reason to spend money on fluff or nonsense.

Play the game you want to play and let the rest go hang. Let's TRIBBLE up the metrics the suits set such great store by by doing parts of the game which earn no awards at all for a month. If I know I am being manipulated based on tracking data recorded on what I do in game, then I am honor bound to throw the biggest monkey wrench I can into the middle of that data.

Some people, like myself, are crows.

We see something shiney and we just HAVE to have it. No ifs, ands, or buts. In the same category, alot of peopel are completionists. Seeing something they haven't finished on their characters is a real eyesore.
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What irritates me about Geko's attitude towards all this is when he said the spec system was something players were meant to slowly work towards over the long term while doing other things in the game. That would have made sense if it was available from level 1 and up. Unfortunately it's unlocked at endgame when there's nothing left to do but grind. If there was an endgame mechanic that felt like an achievement in itself like exploration, territory control, colonization, etc, then maxing out the spec system wouldn't be a primary goal for players. What makes Gecko so densely stupid is that he hasn't publicly recognized that the spec system is a primary goal because it's the ONLY goal.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    What makes Geko so clueless is when he said the spec system was something players were meant to slowly work towards over the long term while doing other things in the game. That would have made sense if it was available from level 1 and up. Unfortunately it's unlocked at endgame when there's nothing left to do but grind. If there was an endgame mechanic that felt like an achievement in itself like exploration, territory control, colonization, etc, then maxig out the spec system wouldn't be a primary goal for players. What makes Gecko so densely stupid is that he hasn't publicly recognized that the spec system is a primary goal because it's the ONLY goal.

^^ This.

Also, not clueless per se, but simply weak when you can't think of anything better to keep people in game than to nerf their rewards.

What I need for my enjoyment in this game, is a lead Dev who doesn't treat his customers like enemies he needs to bleed dry at every turn.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What irritates me about Geko's attitude towards all this is when he said the spec system was something players were meant to slowly work towards over the long term while doing other things in the game. That would have made sense if it was available from level 1 and up. Unfortunately it's unlocked at endgame when there's nothing left to do but grind. If there was an endgame mechanic that felt like an achievement in itself like exploration, territory control, colonization, etc, then maxing out the spec system wouldn't be a primary goal for players. What makes Gecko so densely stupid is that he hasn't publicly recognized that the spec system is a primary goal because it's the ONLY goal.

I think they should:

- Convert a a large number of the basic skills into a primary spec. (30 points)

- Convert profession specific skills into three secondary specs. (15 points each.)

- Allow people to have one additional Primary and one additional Secondary spec active at a time.

- Start issuing spec points at level 5.

- Convert existing skill points into specialization points while eliminating the skill tab.

All of this would take time but would greatly streamline the game. It would also bake in profession respecs.