test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

'DIVIDE et IMPERA' returns

johnnysnowballjohnnysnowball Member Posts: 399 Arc User
nQRY5zY.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nQRY5zY.jpg

That old favorite is back from the Cryptic wastebin. Find out if it's gotten any worse.

1 week to write, 1 week to build. Finally managed to make a mission in good time!

'DIVIDE ET IMPERA -REDUX-'

(View the full HD trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktA48PScuOA)
Post edited by johnnysnowball on

Comments

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Very well done. Its been years since I played this so I can't remember if its accurate, but theres loads of detail crammed in here. You can tell a lot of time and effort went into this.

I will say though, my Tactical Officer is a Klingon, and I like to think she wouldn't have had any problems with what happened on that station, lol.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Very well done. Its been years since I played this so I can't remember if its accurate, but theres loads of detail crammed in here. You can tell a lot of time and effort went into this.

I will say though, my Tactical Officer is a Klingon, and I like to think she wouldn't have had any problems with what happened on that station, lol.

Thankyou for your review that was awesome, It now has 2 reviews and still under the review tab.
  • Options
    khregkhreg Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Oh yes, will be checking this one out very very soon.

Gonna set aside a few hours where I'm sure everyone in the house either has something to do or is dead asleep for this one.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So I tried it, and made a few notes.

"it has no populated worlds"

Uh, it does, or it's a different Vendor than in the TV show. Actually the STO map has what appear to be cities on the surface of the planet. So It would seem to be populated in STO too. Or is this a subtle hint that it's an Undine imposter?

BTW: here's the old system description.

Vendor System
    "A Romulan colony world near the neutral zone, Vendor II is a M-Class world with a population of approximately 47,000. Many of the residents are family members of Romulan military officers who serve on the space station orbiting the planet.

Access to the station is severely restricted, and several members of Starfleet's Romulan Task Force have expressed an interest in learning more about what is happening there."

Which doesn't mention Vendorians, however 47k isn't enough to account for the size of cities you can see from orbit.

Vendor station:
    why are there invisiwalls by the ramp?

One of the objectives that occurs after you start trying to hunt down Shanei relies on an unmarked trigger. (and some later ones) It's not necessarily a bad idea, but it's not a great one.

"collection by the authoroties"

Selok is standing on a table when you first meet her.

for some reason one of my boffs refused to enter the last room

Vendor space 2:
    one of the mobs(swarm of fighters) is positioned a long ways from the others.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW

Hi Johnny Snowball,

I recently played through the mission and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately it had some flaws in the story logic and environments that detracted from my overall experience. I thought I'd let you know what I saw so you'd have a chance to fix the issues (if you see them as such :P). But overall the mission is much improved over the original. Thanks for making it!

Okay, on to the issues I saw in the order they occured:

You use Admiral Zelle as the initial contact person instead of Admiral T'nae, so she is NOT the focus of the mission - which I thought was a brilliant stroke - making her a 'good guy' (which gives a reason why she is in Admiral T'nae's office on Starbase 39). Unfortunately, this is only a tease, as she 'disappears' at the end of the mission as a bad guy, just like the original (thereby NOT explaining why she is still on SB39).

The modeling for Zelle's face doesn't look like her in-game (maybe intentional given the above??)

The meeting place space station, deep in Romulan space, is not well explained in the intro text. There should be some hint that you will be going to a 'shady' public space station bar incognito to covertly contact the Fed undercover agent there. I think the occupants of the station would take notice of a Federation Starship suddenly arriving out of nowhere and parking just outside. (Perhaps say when the player arrives at the system in Sector Space that they and their away team will take an unmarked shuttle to said station in civilian clothing?) That way the starship remains outside the system but the characters can still get to the station with little attention brought to themselves. Or maybe just put the station in a system along the border with less need for subterfuge. (BTW the bar was REALLY well done - I loved all the little touches and custom work you put into it! The cameo by Daft Punk was way cool! It's too bad you can't include custom music in missions...this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBhQbmPwH8&list=RDFGBhQbmPwH8 would have been perfect considering we're playing Divide et Impera 'one more time' :P (Any one thinkng of doing a full on 'Interstella 5555' mission series because of Daft Punk's Leiji Matsumoto music video movie? Vaadwuar kidnapping Andorian musicians? HippieJohn, a Miranda Mayhem crossover? lol!)

The 'next map' note was unneeded about flying in sector space to the Vendor system. It actually says, 'continue Divide et Impera' which works well. (I think your note may be a left over from when you were playtesting because the defualt was 'next map' for the transistion)

During the attack on Vendor station I found that the 'covertness' of the mission was completely gone. Maybe state this somewhere - that this is now a Federation sanctioned mission says Shidari (sorry if I'm mispelling her name)) so that a Fed starship and people wearing full on Federation uniforms/gear in and near the station during the attack makes sense.

Shidari (again sp?) turns into her undine form (nice tranisition effects BTW) and slips into the air duct... Umm, huh? How does a giant undine just slip into an air duct (and you can't follow)? Maybe say she transforms next into something small like an epohh and slips in that way. :P

As Markhawkman has already pointed out, Commander Selok is standing on the table when you meet her. She probably should be next to the table. :D (I really liked the fact you could work with or against Selok in the mission...but that leads to the next issue...)

Why are the Romulans fighting each other later? And fighting against you if you allied with Selok? There needs to be an explanation somewhere (like conflicting orders from TWO Seloks causing chaos and confusion)

Why is there a Caitian transporter chief in the text window when you beam off the station? I don't have any Caitians in my crew (lol). Why not just use one of my 'ship' personnel as the person used in the text window here?

And finally, back to the first point above, why have Zelle disappear at the end but yet have an option to kill the Undine agent? If anything, the Undine agent should just get away if someone needs to escape. Unless of course, you are planning on a sequel - because if you are trying to leave the 'door open' for Cryptic to follow up with their offical 'Zelle escapes' storyline, I think it's pretty obvious they are NEVER going to do that. (Hence the removal of the original mission! lol)

I hope the above doesn't come across as too negative. It's meant to be quite the opposite...just feedback on some discrepencies that could use some polishing to really make the mission shine!

That said, I really did enjoy the mission, the map work was really cool and, again, the little touches were fantastic! Keep up the great work Johnny!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    So I tried it, and made a few notes.

1) "it has no populated worlds"

2) Vendor station: why are there invisiwalls by the ramp?

3) One of the objectives that occurs after you start trying to hunt down Shanei relies on an unmarked trigger. (and some later ones) It's not necessarily a bad idea, but it's not a great one.

4) "collection by the authoroties"

5) Selok is standing on a table when you first meet her.

6) for some reason one of my boffs refused to enter the last room

7) Vendor space 2:
    one of the mobs(swarm of fighters) is positioned a long ways from the others.

Thank you for the play and comments, Markhawkman, I'll try to cover everything:

1) That's the original text from the mission. I mentioned that I used original material by Kestral in the mission description. I aimed to change just what I felt the need to. What 'needs' changing is more subjective. Your version would be vastly different, I imagine, for example.
    Also, there is no text there now that i am seeing, so, I can't say what the story is there anymore.

2) I put invisiwalls beside the ramps just to ensure there was no way to get UNDER the lab and see all the behind-the-scenes buried objects or get through to the other side. I also placed blocks to try to do the same and hide the view. They don't get in the way of the mission. They are always there so Boffs should have pathing, and they are needed at one ramp to ensure you hit your marker. TBH, not sure why this is a big deal, sorry. Well done for noticing, though! You certainly have Columbo's eye. (the good one).

3) You can't miss the markers you need to hit, so, again, don't get the problem there. Until something changes and makes them missable, that is.

4) I'll get on that, thanks. My first typo that I've been told about. Had to happen, I guess.
    I'll have to have a word with my Word.

5) Yes, she is. I put her there. Put her there cos that's where i wanted her. Making a stand, dominating. And i wanted you to get up on the table and meet her at her level. Gaffer-to-gaffer. I think she looks cool up there cross-armed. Sorry if others don't. Just down to taste, I suppose.

6) I can't be held accountable for their cowardice, ha. Seriously, though, I can't do anything about that. haven't changed the opening any.

7) Had to move them back cos it was too much for couple people having 3 mobs coming at you at once. Had to tone it down. May even remove the fighters.

You didn't mention any opinion of the actual story at all. I take it your interests are more in the technical aspects of mission building?

Thank you again, and thanks for your work on the Roundtable. Great show.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

8) (thereby NOT explaining why she is still on SB39).

9) The modeling for Zelle's face doesn't look like her in-game (maybe intentional given the above??)

9) The meeting place space station, deep in Romulan space, is not well explained in the intro text.

10) The 'next map' note was unneeded about flying in sector space to the Vendor system.

11) During the attack on Vendor station I found that the 'covertness' of the mission was completely gone.

12) How does a giant undine just slip into an air duct?

13) Why are the Romulans fighting each other later? And fighting against you if you allied with Selok? There needs to be an explanation somewhere.

14) Why is there a Caitian transporter chief in the text window when you beam off the station?

15) And finally, back to the first point above, why have Zelle disappear at the end but yet have an option to kill the Undine agent?

Thanks, Captain Hunter. I'll try to answer your questions for ya:

8) I can't do anything about her being on SB39 i'm afraid. That was a consistent oddity of the mission.

9) I couldn't bring myself to use that plain old boring face. I updated her design. Couldn't bare to do it any other way. Some of the old characters in mission had the generic faces. I just can't work with it, lol. I would never do that to a high-profile character BTW. She was only in this mission so ...i did it.

10) I had to explain that because, if you exit to sector space from a foundry mission map, you will get that 'next map' pop-up. You can't get rid of it, and you can't alter it. It's there whether you like it or not. i thought explaining to click next map would be better than letting it come out of nowhere like an error.

11) If you mean in space i guess if you kill em they can't talk. If you mean on the ground portion, by the time you reach Selok, she knows you are there. I tried to keep the mission as basic as I could, as basic as the original as I could. I tend to overdo things - put far too much in the missions. This time I tried to keep as close to Cryptic patterns as I could live with.

12) Um... big air vents...? ( I WOULD have had you in the vents hunting her if A: the map allowed for that, and B: I hadn't used ALL my asset allowance)

13) There is actually a contact who will explain that the Undine has convinced some of the Romulans ahead that Selok's forces are Fed infiltrators, if you want to talk to him.

14) I tend to use him for consistency if you play my missions. Sorry if you have no Caitians on your ship ( I can't make the missions work for every player type) If you play my missions then your ship interior will have cat folk, i'm afraid.

15) I wanted to use Zella as she was a big part of the original and i needed a high ranker to make you take the mission. She had to be in on it. Her job was to make it possible for Shanei to get where she had to be. There was no way I could justify having an Admiral go there with you, but an intel agent, sure.
    So, if Shanei sufficiently P****d you off, you can kill her. Depends if you are a lover or a fighter. Options are there for either player type.

Hope that helps your puzzlements!

(PS: about the not mentioning going undercover on Vendor. I didn't do this for a couple reasons. 1: you don't have to, as many players won't be interested in changing clothes and rallying Boffs. If players just want to go in there and get on with the mission they can.
    And 2: As i mentioned, wanted to keep it as simple and basic as i could)

Cheers.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Answers in green below. :)
    Thanks, Captain Hunter. I'll try to answer your questions for ya:

8) I can't do anything about her being on SB39 i'm afraid. That was a consistent oddity of the mission.

Ah, but you almost did! Just leave her completely out of the end explanation (that she disappears). That fixes it. She is simply just another officer now at Starbase 39 (that was fooled by the Undine agent just as the player's character was).

9) I couldn't bring myself to use that plain old boring face. I updated her design. Couldn't bare to do it any other way. Some of the old characters in mission had the generic faces. I just can't work with it, lol. I would never do that to a high-profile character BTW. She was only in this mission so ...i did it.

But, but, but...if she doesn't look like who she is supposed to be...why use her? (But I also agree that the modeling for her from Cryptic is pretty plain - and the 'uniform' she had when the game first came out was TERRIBLE.)

10) I had to explain that because, if you exit to sector space from a foundry mission map, you will get that 'next map' pop-up. You can't get rid of it, and you can't alter it. It's there whether you like it or not. i thought explaining to click next map would be better than letting it come out of nowhere like an error.

I'm aware of the issue, but it didn't pop up for me when I played. It simply had the 'continue Divide et Impera' on the button. Maybe there was some glitch that skipped over this part, because honestly I didn't see a generic 'next map' button show up anywhere.

11) If you mean in space i guess if you kill em they can't talk. If you mean on the ground portion, by the time you reach Selok, she knows you are there. I tried to keep the mission as basic as I could, as basic as the original as I could. I tend to overdo things - put far too much in the missions. This time I tried to keep as close to Cryptic patterns as I could live with.

I understand the Rommies trying to kill us before we reach Selok, what I meant was after we have our meeting with her (and her standing on the table looks more like a mistake than intentional placing - though I can see what you are trying to do with her superior position, still it just looks bad - to an average player, it will look like you forgot to have her sit in one of the chairs). There should be a very obvious dialog stating the confusion over the TWO Seloks and why the Rommies continue to attack us and each other.

12) Um... big air vents...? ( I WOULD have had you in the vents hunting her if A: the map allowed for that, and B: I hadn't used ALL my asset allowance)

But nearly everyone's first reaction (not knowing these limitations) is going to be like mine. How did a giant undine just escape through an air duct and if it's big enough for her, why can't I just follow her? So 'cheating' a little by saying she turned herself into a epohh, gives a reason for players not being able to pursue her down the air duct.

13) There is actually a contact who will explain that the Undine has convinced some of the Romulans ahead that Selok's forces are Fed infiltrators, if you want to talk to him.

This should be a 'in your face' dialog that the player can't miss. See above. Because if I missed it, MANY other people will too.

14) I tend to use him for consistency if you play my missions. Sorry if you have no Caitians on your ship ( I can't make the missions work for every player type) If you play my missions then your ship interior will have cat folk, i'm afraid.

But it takes me out of the immersion of the mission. I just kept thinking to myself - who is this guy? And why is he calling me? If you want to include other characters, make them part of the story. He could be on temporary assignment as Shanei's aid and tagged along (also being fooled by her) - or something like that. There should be some reason why a total stranger is calling me from my ship. :D

15) I wanted to use Zella as she was a big part of the original and i needed a high ranker to make you take the mission. She had to be in on it. Her job was to make it possible for Shanei to get where she had to be. There was no way I could justify having an Admiral go there with you, but an intel agent, sure.

See the answer under number 8 above about using Zelle. And I'm in complete agreement with you about an Admiral tagging along. I thought it was one of the original missions faults. The operative works much better.

So, if Shanei sufficiently P****d you off, you can kill her. Depends if you are a lover or a fighter. Options are there for either player type.

I liked the option! I just don't see the need for including Zelle as another 'bad guy' by having her 'escape' at the end. Again, see my original feedback and the answer to number 8 above. She WAS a big part of the original, and you HAVE included her, but the big (and best) twist is that she isn't the bad guy any more - you've replaced her with Shanei in that role. (and again, it gives some meaning for Zelle to still be on SB39)

Hope that helps your puzzlements!

(PS: about the not mentioning going undercover on Vendor. I didn't do this for a couple reasons. 1: you don't have to, as many players won't be interested in changing clothes and rallying Boffs. If players just want to go in there and get on with the mission they can.
    And 2: As i mentioned, wanted to keep it as simple and basic as i could)

But it's a little confusing. On one hand, you are acting all secretive on this covert mission (at the bar), but then suddenly do a 180 with no explanation, practically flag waving as you blaze into the Vendor system and attack the station in full uniform with the Romulans screaming, "Stop the Federation intruders!" What happened to covert? :P

Cheers.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    [Well, it isn't really covert. The undine plays a SF Intel agent but the idea is really to have your actions be a massive PR nightmare. It isn't really a Sf Intel op.

Anyway I threw it together quickly now I'm on to other stuffs. I'll mull your suggestions over and if I feel like going back into that mission I may just play with some things like u said.

I'll let it fester in my noggin a bit.

Cheers for the constructive advice and input! :@)

Foundry will be down anyway when I wake up and then it's the darn Xp wkend
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    IMHO the air duct wasn't an issue, made me think of Alien actually ... in fact a better question is how in the hell does THAT thing for in an air duct, lol.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    1: well, if you look at the planet model, it has cities that you can see just by looking out the window of a starship parked in orbit. So it's obviously not uninhabited. No official mission currently uses it, so I'd assume the old description still applies.

7b: The story was fine, IMO. I didn't see anything I thought needed fixed story wise.

9: I'm with Hunter here. If I use a Cryptic character, I will make sure they look like the Cryptic character model. It doesn't really matter whether I like the way the character looks. The point is to make the character recognizable. Your Zelle wasn't recognizable.

14: just use a boff. It's simpler IMO.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Thanks, Mark. I just used the description and map from the original mission with the planet baked in.
    Can't do anything now anyway with game down.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    1: well, if you look at the planet model, it has cities that you can see just by looking out the window of a starship parked in orbit. So it's obviously not uninhabited. No official mission currently uses it, so I'd assume the old description still applies.

As you pointed out earlier, the system description window does say there is a Romulan colony there with 50,000 inhabitants - mostly family and support for the medical station. Truthfully the wide spread cities on the planet are just an carry-in from the generic Class M planet Cryptic used as a backdrop.

Even so, I've come to two ways of thinking for my 'headcanon' concering this. 1) The Romulans are all about deceit and hiding weakness. They built a bunch of fake cities on the surface to give the appearance of being something more than they really are (because a pop. of 50,000 would only fill a single medium-sized town). Or 2) The majority of the planet is actually populated by Vendorians - the shapeshifters from TAS. This is a major factor in why the Romulans located their Undine research facility here - they had easy access to a race that can shapeshift naturally, giving them a leg up on their Undine recognition research.

I tend to go with #2 :)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    As you pointed out earlier, the system description window does say there is a Romulan colony there with 50,000 inhabitants - mostly family and support for the medical station. Truthfully the wide spread cities on the planet are just an carry-in from the generic Class M planet Cryptic used as a backdrop.

Even so, I've come to two ways of thinking for my 'headcanon' concering this. 1) The Romulans are all about deceit and hiding weakness. They built a bunch of fake cities on the surface to give the appearance of being something more than they really are (because a pop. of 50,000 would only fill a single medium-sized town). Or 2) The majority of the planet is actually populated by Vendorians - the shapeshifters from TAS. This is a major factor in why the Romulans located their Undine research facility here - they had easy access to a race that can shapeshift naturally, giving them a leg up on their Undine recognition research.

I tend to go with #2 :)
    I agree, and I mentioned as much in the last Roundtable. There is a third possibility. That being large scale automated industry. But there is nothing ever discussed that supports that idea. so yeah, I'll stick with #2. The planet is the Vendorian homeworld, and the 47,000 Romulans have their own city or something. Which doesn't get mentioned because Vendor is one of those planets that Starfleet decreed should be sealed away never to be seen again.

Oh yeah, I discussed this mission on the roundtable. I forgot to mention that earlier.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Oh yeah, I discussed this mission on the roundtable. I forgot to mention that earlier.

Hey, Mark. So I just listened to that thru gritted teeth... and it was a good review, thank you.
    Will look to do a few tweeks.

I wonder why Kestral had that dialogue about uninhabited? Well I did try placing a new planet over that one cos it looks a bit old and low-res-digital-pixally but it was too big.

Just for you i will move one of those ramp invisiwalls down and under to block the lab underside and delete the other but the second ramp needs them for the reacher i have.

Anyway enough blaa blaa gasing about this mission.
    Thank you Mark, all in all the review left me feeling very positive. For something that i built in Foundry in about a week it turned out okay.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    *looks through slides on Divide et Impera*

Well, It MAY be a subtle hint that Zelle is a fake. The system description(A Romulan colony world....) disagrees with what Zelle said after all. The exact quote was "no populated worlds". Maybe Zelle just flipped through a database and wasn't as thorough as she thought? It's a running theme that (Kestral?) uses as a way to signal that characters were replaced. Or maybe "Zelle" was lying? hard to say.

Another odd thing she said is "Admiral Janeway has a theory that Romulan subspace weapons contributed to the destruction of their homeworld." Yeah, that statement seems to be a bald-faced lie. Granted this is set before the player actually finds out the real cause, and thus before the admiralty would know, but it's a giant leap of conjecture with no real supporting data.

So it's possible that the unpopulated statement is primarily there to mislead you. Zelle seems to be concocting a story to convince you that Vendor station is related to the Hobus disaster, and that if you don't do something the Romulans might accidentally set off another one. So I wouldn't take anything she said as the truth.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I guess that can now apply to the Intel agent.