test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Battle of Procyon V = STO is canon?

ironcaniacironcaniac Member Posts: 131 Media Corps
edited February 2015 in Federation Discussion
The future battle as depicted in ST: Enterprise showed a Federation fleet consisting of the Enterprise-J, a Nova-class ship, a Dauntless-class ship, and a Prometheus-class ship battling alongside a Vor'cha-class cruiser. Now the real world reason for this was obviously that the effects people just reused existing CG models to save money, but if we wanted to retcon what we saw onscreen with a possible in-universe explanation then the answer might just be STO. After all, it's now possible in STO to have all those ships together and we're also just a few letters away from the Enterprise-J, so what if that battle from Enterprise actually depicts a future STO mission? Wouldn't that make STO canon, or at least possibly canon?
After only 4 months, 19 weeks, 134 days, it's here. It's real!
wbur87.jpg
U.S.S. Tempest
Post edited by ironcaniac on

Comments

• Options
    iusassetiusasset Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ironcaniac wrote: »
    After all, it's now possible in STO to have all those ships together and we're also one letter away from the Enterprise-J, so what if that battle from Enterprise actually depicts a future STO mission? Wouldn't that make STO canon, or at least possibly canon?

If by one you mean four, then yes, we are close to the Enterprise-J. ;)
  • Options
    ironcaniacironcaniac Member Posts: 131 Media Corps
    edited February 2015
    iusasset wrote: »
    If by one you mean four, then yes, we are close to the Enterprise-J. ;)

Haha, right! F, G, H, I, J.
    After only 4 months, 19 weeks, 134 days, it's here. It's real!
    wbur87.jpg
    U.S.S. Tempest
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    STO has been around for 5 years (beta not included) now, in this 5 years we moved from year 2409 to year 2410. So I'm pretty sure we won't see anything related the J's distant future in STO's lifetime.;)
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This game is NOT canon...
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It was in the 26th century IIRC. We're a ways out.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    In addition you shouldn't forget that the future depicted in that episode is not a fixed point. It is one possible future of countless others. And I find it questionable to see a Vor'Cha alongside a Ent-J to be honest. This is just one of the many things about ENT that just wasn't thought out or was incredibly half-arsed.

Hell, the designer of the Ent-J even admitted that it was a rush job made in mere hours because they were short on time. So no, not much thought went into this :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    To be fair, B'rel's have been running around for hundred of years, so it's not surprising to see a Vorcha. Klingon ships are built to last a long time and have robust designs.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The battle of Procyon V is not canon itself since it never happened because Archer with his actions altered the events that would lead to that timeline. That episode falls in the same category as the TNG finale, where it was shown that Riker refited the Enterprise-D into the Galaxy-X in order to keep it in service, however the Enterprise-D was destroyed in 'Generations', so this couldn't have happened.

Then there is this:
    truewarper wrote: »
    This game is NOT canon...

Not only games are not considerd canon in general, but this particular game is the prime example as to why. Just look around and compare that with any of the ST shows or movies.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    The battle of Procyon V is not canon itself since it never happened because Archer with his actions altered the events that would lead to that timeline. That episode falls in the same category as the TNG finale, where it was shown that Riker refited the Enterprise-D into the Galaxy-X in order to keep it in service, however the Enterprise-D was destroyed in 'Generations', so this couldn't have happened.

Then there is this:

Not only games are not considerd canon in general, but this particular game is the prime example as to why. Just look around and compare that with any of the ST shows or movies.

The battle of Procyon V can indeed be cannon. When you watch the episode he says that the sphere builders invaded our galaxy and that they were changing space in archers time. That does not mean they were invading our galaxy through the spheres. It's most likely two different events. In archers time line its infiltration of our universe where in enterprise J's time its a out right invasions. Things that are said by Daniels such as the sphere space was 50,000 light years in all directions.. well if its in the same location in archers time case earth is already gone. As it was much closer to the expanse in archers time then 50,000 light years. We also have no reference where is Procyon V.

No matter what though a 50,000 light year wide sphere space couldn't not be in the same location as the expanse in Archers time line. Earth would of already been wiped out. So Procyon V had have happened under different events.

This isn't a Q episode where he rewrites existence.

So to the question of is "battle of Procyon V canon?". The correct answer is, we just do not know, anyone saying other wise is just guessing.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    kelshando wrote: »
    So to the question of is "battle of Procyon V canon?". The correct answer is, we just do not know, anyone saying other wise is just guessing.

This is probably the closest to the truth we'd get. It might be, it might be not.

My take on it is that since Archer "dealt" with the 'sphere space' in his time, it started a chain of other events that altered what was going to happen. There's also the potential that Daniels was lying through his teeth for his factions' personal gains in the Temporal Cold War or that the entire thing was a holographic projection made to trick Archer into doing what they want/need him to do.
    I find it hard to believe that an anomaly spreading troughout 50k light years near Federation space, even if it's not in the same place as you say, wouldn't have been noticed by any of the major factions of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants by the time of TNG.

At the end of the day - it might be canon, it might not be, it might have been the future in ST, it might have been a lie......sadly, there's a good chance we'll never find out. And even if there is another Star Trek series set in the prime universe after TNG, there still is a good chance they'll treat the episode as if it never happened and just go with what they decided to make the new show about.
    Anyway, this is pretty pointless to discuss since the basic premise of the thread - STO being canon is flawed.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    At the end of the day - it might be canon, it might not be, it might have been the future in ST, it might have been a lie......sadly, there's a good chance we'll never find out. And even if there is another Star Trek series set in the prime universe after TNG, there still is a good chance they'll treat the episode as if it never happened and just go with what they decided to make the new show about.
    Anyway, this is pretty pointless to discuss since the basic premise of the thread - STO being canon is flawed.

Well reports are they are going to be making new ST tv show slated for 2016-18 start date. I know there are lots of rumor about a new one for years and years. This is the first time they have talked about funding, time line. that reference was after the 3rd ST movie.

As far as the OP and STO being canon.... well that depends. Canon star trek is like trying to merge water and oil. There are so many "canon" story that all of a sudden get changed to "oh that's not canon" anymore.

So for the OP I think he is referring to STO's canon. As every time there is a new book, movie, TV show what is "canon" changes.

As far as new TNG era show treating the episode as never happening.. well given there is still couple of century's pre events not sure why they would go back to that episode.

Could STO explore that time line.. sure I guess.. but given 5 years was 1 year in game history.. well we wont be alive to play it at that rate lol
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Well reports are they are going to be making new ST tv show slated for 2016-18 start date. I know there are lots of rumor about a new one for years and years. This is the first time they have talked about funding, time line. that reference was after the 3rd ST movie.

That's good to hear, didn't have any infomation of that possibility beyond Axanar and Russ' attempts to pick sth. up with Renegades. Hopefully it will come to fruition.
    As far as the OP and STO being canon.... well that depends. Canon star trek is like trying to merge water and oil. There are so many "canon" story that all of a sudden get changed to "oh that's not canon" anymore.

So for the OP I think he is referring to STO's canon. As every time there is a new book, movie, TV show what is "canon" changes.

As far as new TNG era show treating the episode as never happening.. well given there is still couple of century's pre events not sure why they would go back to that episode.

Fair enough, evidence shows that almost anything goes in STO's own canon, so it's possible to a degree.
    Could STO explore that time line.. sure I guess.. but given 5 years was 1 year in game history.. well we wont be alive to play it at that rate lol

LOL :D Yeah, I meant to write this in my previous reply but I forgot. :P
    HQroeLu.jpg