test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I got a question about the Delta Rising Sig pics. Been away for long time

tcbys1tcbys1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I been away from STO for a good while and just recently came back. I was wondering about the Sigs people have.

Seems like alot of people have the sig of a picture saying DR is a great expansion and the players love it.

Is that being sarcastic was DR that bad? Or am I missing an Inside Joke... or both...
Post edited by tcbys1 on

Comments

• deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    sarcastic, it's what the devs said in a podcast... after a while bunch of ranting on the forums about bugs and errors.
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Sarcasm. It's a quote (or paraphrase, probably) from one of the developers.
  • tcbys1tcbys1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    sarcastic, it's what the devs said in a podcast... after a while bunch of ranting on the forums about bugs and errors.

Ah. Is DR a good expansion? Is it worth getting back to STO again?
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tcbys1 wrote: »

That's up to you ...

Main concern is : not enough Content ... too much Grind, instead ... if you want to play the "actual" Expansion instead of "old Content" you'll have to repeat lots of the same "Patrols" (shoot 5 Waves of Enemies & move on) ... and if you don't like Patrols at all, there are only ~8-10 new Story Episodes to repeat till you puke ... if you're into repeating stuff ad nauseum ... DR is indeed the Best Expansion ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    basicly delta has been a flop. and cryptic are saying it is a great success.

even when the forum is on fire and the nerf stick let off its leash, and the game infested with huge bugs, glitches, crashes.

random logout and surver crashes after stability patches.

and everyone got fed up of making and commenting on cryptic hate threads.

so the sig was born, close to everyone had one including myself...... but tacofangs (Dev)

spoke up about it and the ones who saw the thread have changed their sigs in respect of taco and the rest of the dev team that are doing a good job.

game failure is on a management level not a dev level.

i wanted to send you a link of smirks livestream. poor guy had to spend around 20 mins apologising about the state of the game
    nerf.jpg]
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited February 2015

DR made me stop playing the game for the most part. But come in and take a look. Different strokes for different folks.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Come and play STO. It's free.

Bring money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've got to say that DR doesn't seem nearly as good as LoR, though I had barely played before that came out, so I am fairly biased. DR suffers a number of flaws.

If you are considering coming back for the story, what there is isn't bad, unfortunately it is level gated, and the amount of experience required between levels is many times higher than what came before, so whilst you might get a couple of missions in, just as you're settling into the plot, BOOM! Level Gate! Go wander off and do other things ingame for a few hours! ... This then repeats... Every. Single. Mission.

You DO have a ground battlezone as well, with its own level gated missions (DR's plot is split between two mission chains. One solely ground in an adventure zone, the other almost entirely in space - Neither one is as far as I could tell dependant on the other).

As I say, the story isn't bad, but its not great either, though it has a few moments.

Anyway, if you aren't obsessive about having all the best skills and equipment immediately, DR is nice enough, if you do want it (And apparently you need it to be competitive in PvP), returning is probably not for you.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    When you strip off all the techno babble what you are left with is this.

lvl cap increase to 60.

Specializations needing nearly 150 points to complete at a rate of 1 per level.

150000 xp to gain one level

4000 xp gained per mission. Unless you run Argala then you get a little bit more.

Dead STF ques because the rewards in them have been cut back so badly that no one wants to bother.

Old Optional's are required to be completed or you fail the STF

Story content in order to be played with out forgetting what the previous mission was about you need to be level 57 or 58 before you start the play throughs.

This is the way STO is now.

If you like grinding for very litttle reward then nows the time to come back.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    When you strip off all the techno babble what you are left with is this.

lvl cap increase to 60.

Specializations needing nearly 150 points to complete at a rate of 1 per level.

150000 xp to gain one level

4000 xp gained per mission. Unless you run Argala then you get a little bit more.

Dead STF ques because the rewards in them have been cut back so badly that no one wants to bother.

Old Optional's are required to be completed or you fail the STF

Story content in order to be played with out forgetting what the previous mission was about you need to be level 57 or 58 before you start the play throughs.

This is the way STO is now.

If you like grinding for very litttle reward then nows the time to come back.

Pretty much this. Sure, you can say, "It's fine because you aren't literally required to max out your character," but that is just an attempt to sidestep and ignore the real issue (corporate greed manifested as obscene grinds and timegates) by telling people that if they play the game to improve their characters as much as possible, they're 'doing it wrong.'
    2iBFtmg.png
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    inkrunner wrote: »
    Sure, you can say, "It's fine because you aren't literally required to max out your character," but that is just an attempt to sidestep '

Actually you can't, if you're talking about DR ... that's it, that's DR ... you might be able to do it, if you pull the "But, there is plenty of other stuff in the game" - Excuse ... the Foundry, Doffing, 99% of PVE Queues etc wasn't part of DR, though ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited February 2015
  • atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Debacle Rising is great! So great I got my life back and enjoying other games. I stop by STO to see the events in progress.

Best expansion ever. Grind on!
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Stay away. If you dont want to descent to hell, stay away. Its safer for you health, especially the healts of your mind.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Good content but not enough to level on. Great acting and pretty good writing. More monetization. Too much grind to a point where Geko indicated he found the grind too repetitive and too focused on one patrol. I wouldn't expect less grind any time soon but I would expect more choice in how you spend that time grinding based on Geko's last interview.

Overall, most of the system changes conceptually are good (the idea of upgrading gear) and make more sense to me... But they haven't been great for PvP and everything has a price or a timegate or both.

I would recommend toughing it out and leveling to at least play all the content and then decide how much effort and money you want to put into things based on that. Maybe consider getting one T6 ship (they unlock traits that can be used on any T5U or T6 ship) and one T5U upgrade for your favorite T5 ship. I recommend this upfront mainly because you improve ships and unlock T6 ship traits by playing them and dealing damage with them and you might as well be doing that while leveling or you'll end up grinding more later.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Also, as you level, you'll get specialization points. I'd recommend putting everything into one specialization to get unlocks faster and, at this point, I would recommend doing Command specialization first, particularly because Command unlocks skills that can improve your rate of specialization points.
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Like Thutmosis said that is up to you...

The same things that bothered other people might not even bother you at all. A lot of people were all QQing about the whole "Tau Dewa" grindfest that went on a while back. But me? i didnt participate in any of that and the whole fiasco didnt bother me at all. But then something that would be minor to other people like the pacing of the story in DR or our chosen allies (Kobali) was a big deal for me, but thats the kind of stuff that the majority doesnt care about.

My only advice to you is this...if you do try out DR then DO NOT spend any money. Redownload STO and the new content if you have to. Dust off your ships and if you had some Dil or Zen saved up from before then spend a little bit of that. But before you spend any more real money first get a feel for the game that you are coming back to. If you feel like it is all terrible then you saved yourself some money. If you come back and like what they've done despite all the forum complaints then yay! you're having fun and thats all that matters.